xZhou

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Reliable

Motivated by the number of players of Asian descent to have recently been drafted in the early rounds of the NHL Draft, such as Nick Suzuki, Kailer Yamomoto, Cliff Pu, Jason Robertson, Tyler Inamoto, and Jonathan Ang, I compiled a list of players of Asian descent in GW Biscuit (total of 33 players, including some in the junior leagues) and created a team from the top-rated players at each position. 

Team_Asia_13.png

Although definitely lacking in depth, the team actually has some bright spots. Specifically, goaltending would unquestionably be a strength, as Justin Yu is one of the best goalies in Biscuit and still getting better. Jermey Sin was actually the Russian League scoring leader last season, and would spearhead this team's attack along with centres Max Lang and Preston Yao. Ruari Vu and Graham Lao form a competent top defensive pairing for the team, although the quality of defensemen drop down drastically afterwards.

Many of the players for this team (Sarah Do, Anthony Bui, Ryan Lai, etc.) are fast approaching retirement and have declined significantly in the past season or two. As a result, part of the reason behind me posting this now was to acknowledge them for their solid careers. On the other hand of the spectrum, there are a number of young players such as 15-year-old Louis-Phillip Low of the Ingolf Hawks (CAJHL) who I'd expect to continue to rise up the ranks and help fill in the gaps left by these retiring players.

Note that in cases where there was some ambiguity as to the name, such as the surname Lang, I assumed that these players are of Asian descent. In addition, just going off of last names of possibly Asian descent misses players who have Anglicized last names such as Jason Robertson, of Filipino descent, who was drafted by the Dallas Stars 39th overall in the 2017 NHL Draft. Finally, I have a hunch that I missed a number of players of Japanese descent simply because their surnames may not be as easy to spot when scrolling through hundreds of names so feel free to let me know if I've missed anyone!

Posted January 27, 2018 - 03:12 PM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

Wow, nice effort!

But how can you tell Lang is Asian descent? I know many central European (also UK and USA) people named Lang and for most fo them I'm 100 % sure they have no Asian origin. Simply because lang means long in German. And it is quite typical to have surnames from adjectives in Germany, Austria, Czech R. etc.

The same goes for Jung, very typical German surname.

Posted January 27, 2018 - 04:15 PM

xZhou

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • 2 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Hmm that's a good point. While it's true that Lang and Jung are common surnames in many parts of the world, for my purposes I just put them down as being of Asian heritage since that's one possibility, which I'm most familiar with from my personal experience.

Posted January 27, 2018 - 05:18 PM

ColoKrabatt

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Reliable

For example, You could remember ex NHLer Robert Lang. Part of the czech group in Pittsburg at the turn of the century. ;)   

I know You're doing this just for fun but it's nice to see any interest about this game! :)  Nice job.

HOWITZER |GHL| OGDENSBURG BEASTS      ALL STAR  

DANGLES  
|IHL| OGEMA OUTSIDERS

Posted January 28, 2018 - 06:06 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

True and it is hard to say without any other information about the player. But for example Max Lang (the one I know from GHL) - he is Swiss nationality and I would say that with high probability he would be very typical guy from German speaking part of Switzerland with no Asian ancestor. 

But anyway, it is nice list and you did great job. I would like to see some Asian leagues and more nationalities in GPHM. And I want the national teams.

Posted February 03, 2018 - 11:24 AM

xZhou

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • 2 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Updated the team roster below! I used the rule of thumb for those with ambiguous last names like Lang that I assumed they were of Asian descent if they were of American/Canadian nationality - which doesn't completely resolve the discrepancy but helps alleviate some of the more obvious problems. Also realized I somehow missed Bob Honda, who would undoubtedly be the most decorated player on this team as not only a six-time GHL champion but also leading the GHL in scoring in Season 8.

Team_Asia_13_1.png

Some other observations when I took a deeper dive into the players' backgrounds: 

• There were 18 Americans and 12 Canadians out of all the players I found of Asian background (not all of them made the final roster since I only took the highest rated).
  • 17 Chinese-Americans/Canadians which was by far the highest number, although again some surnames were difficult to assign to a single nationality
  • Of these 17, there seemed to be a disproportionately high number from southern Cantonese-speaking parts of China with surnames such as Chan, Ly, Chow, etc. 
  • 6 Vietnamese-Americans/Canadians, which again was higher than I expected
  • Only 7 total of Japanese or Korean descent, which was lower than I anticipated. Although this may be due to the ambiguity of some surnames, I was still surprised not to see many given their relative prevalence in real life
  • Not a lot of common surnames - for example, it was surprising not to find a Li, Kim, or Chen to name just a few while we had much rarer surnames appear. However, I have seen more common surnames such as Xu and Zhang in other game worlds (UAT Mitts, Dangles)

Also put together a quick mock lineup based on rating/handedness:

Forwards

Honda - Yao - S. Do

Sin - Bui - Wan

Pon - C. Do - Jung

Ly - Yi - Chan

Loy

Defensemen

Vu - Lao

Chow - Osano

Lang - Noda

Noto

Goalies

Yu

Chin

Le

Not a typical-sounding lineup at all! :)

Posted May 11, 2018 - 09:18 AM

xZhou

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • 2 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Updated the roster for Season 14! I just realized I had a Japanese-American player (Ramiro Ohara) on my own team, and he immediately makes the top-line much stronger and GHL-competitive. Some other significant changes to the forwards - what was an incredibly veteran-heavy roster the first time around has thinned out with five teenagers making the team this time around...the defensemen and goalies haven't changed at all, and this team would still rely heavily on Yu, one of the best goalies in Biscuit.

TEMP.png

Posted May 22, 2018 - 03:24 AM

Naekfor

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Helpful

For example, You could remember ex NHLer Robert Lang. Part of the czech group in Pittsburg at the turn of the century. ;)   

I know You're doing this just for fun but it's nice to see any interest about this game! :)  Nice job.

I want you to know that you have made a mortal enemy on this day.

edit: back to the topic. rules are subjective right? besides that anyone could have some ancestry, a lot of spanish surrounding names could be Filipino, etc. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users