granpubah

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: January 2017
Rep - Helpful

This is not a complaint.  I would like to hear others opinions on this topic.

In Fishbowl.  SHL is nearly half cpu teams.   In looking at those teams going into the new season they seem to have been restocked with above average oa players.   Combine that with a number of untouchable players and these team will be fairly strong. 

In my opinion a cpu should have minimum advantage going forward into a new season.   someone taking over a cpu team should have to work there way up and not be "gifted" with a solid team. 

Thoughts?

Posted January 16, 2018 - 12:18 PM

ColoKrabatt

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Helpful

Yes, I totally agree with You. :)

HOWITZER |SHL| OGDENSBURG BEASTS

FISHBOWL |IHL| AIYANSH TROJANS

DANGLES |SHL| KINGSTON KINGS

Posted January 16, 2018 - 03:52 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I suppose it depends how you look at it, but this mostly doesn't bother me.  Success is all relative and I pay more attention to my team than I do others.  For example, I'm proud of the fact that I was able to take over a struggling BHL team who had been in Bronze for 5 years (had to win a playoff series to avoid being demoted that first year) and was able to promote to Silver after 3 seasons.  To me that's more satisfying than taking over an already good team.  Now my first season in SHL, there are 7-8 teams that are far superior to me... and the rest are equivalent (give or take a rating here and there).  My goal is to stay in SHL and see where I'm at in 2-3 seasons.  I love following each team, but don't really care who promotes/who doesn't this year.  Every team starts from a different place.

Also, you want COM teams to be somewhat strong - or start off strong - as I would assume they don't improve much over the season.  And just to be competitive in general.

Where I do agree with you is that when a manager promotes or racks up wins, their reputation gets jacked up and it increases the chances of free agents signing with them over another team.  So a manager who takes over an already stacked team will get the benefit in signing players - which I've stated in another post that I don't agree with.  At least not to the extent that it happens.  For example, a free agent recently rejected my offer and signed with another team (same league) who offered him $200K less.  Ouch.  But that's a discussion for another thread.

But we can only hope that those managers who take over good teams are like Peter Chiarelli and totally ruin it :)

Posted January 16, 2018 - 07:02 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • 20 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

While the team put together might very well be good the AI has a habit of continuously and completely botching it up. I've seen the AI have one of the best teams in the SHL and still finish dead last.

Edit: As for newer managers taking them over when I have seen new managers take over such teams they typically struggle and botch it up themselves. That said there is a simple solution. Raising the game limits for switching to a GHL or SHL team.

Posted January 16, 2018 - 08:44 PM

granpubah

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

I suppose it depends how you look at it, but this mostly doesn't bother me.  Success is all relative and I pay more attention to my team than I do others.  For example, I'm proud of the fact that I was able to take over a struggling BHL team who had been in Bronze for 5 years (had to win a playoff series to avoid being demoted that first year) and was able to promote to Silver after 3 seasons.  To me that's more satisfying than taking over an already good team.  Now my first season in SHL, there are 7-8 teams that are far superior to me... and the rest are equivalent (give or take a rating here and there).  My goal is to stay in SHL and see where I'm at in 2-3 seasons.  I love following each team, but don't really care who promotes/who doesn't this year.  Every team starts from a different place.

Also, you want COM teams to be somewhat strong - or start off strong - as I would assume they don't improve much over the season.  And just to be competitive in general.

Where I do agree with you is that when a manager promotes or racks up wins, their reputation gets jacked up and it increases the chances of free agents signing with them over another team.  So a manager who takes over an already stacked team will get the benefit in signing players - which I've stated in another post that I don't agree with.  At least not to the extent that it happens.  For example, a free agent recently rejected my offer and signed with another team (same league) who offered him $200K less.  Ouch.  But that's a discussion for another thread.

But we can only hope that those managers who take over good teams are like Peter Chiarelli and totally ruin it :)

Two great talking points here.  the fact that you were able to move up quickly tells me you get the game in a way that perhaps I don't and that's a conversation onto itself.   Secondly Why do I want even a slightly strong com team?  Personally I want those turkeys falling off the face of the earth.  that again may point back to conversation number 1 and my needing better manager skills.   Finally the fact that you lose a free agent because he can get a contract for 200k less, that's weak.  That should not have happened.   

Posted January 17, 2018 - 01:16 AM

Pingu

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2016
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium
I have Deen cpu teams put Defenders in front and forwards in defence.
Have looked at the teams and most of the players are +35 and on their way down the skillslide.
You have to look at it as a challenge. There is no fun in winning a league filled with crappy cpu teams.
A human team always has the edge. Cpu teams also tend to lose a few key figures during the season..

Posted January 17, 2018 - 03:20 AM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationSri Lanka

Finally the fact that you lose a free agent because he can get a contract for 200k less, that's weak.  That should not have happened.   

No, this makes sense and happens in real life all the time.  Some players prefer to make less money if it means they will be successful and win a championship.  No knock against DL's team, but he was just recently promoted and likely lost that type of player to a more established (maybe just recently demoted GHL) team.  Some players only want money, some want to be the star, and some want to be in first place even if it means being 4th line and paid less, just like in real life.  

Posted January 17, 2018 - 07:01 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Two great talking points here.  the fact that you were able to move up quickly tells me you get the game in a way that perhaps I don't and that's a conversation onto itself.  

Ha! I wouldn't say I did it quickly.  I've seen managers promote year after year.  Those are the guys who have it figured out.  My main point was that I like to take it slow and concentrate on my own team to see what works and what doesn't, then promote over time.  It's the journey not the destination.

Posted January 17, 2018 - 07:11 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

No, this makes sense and happens in real life all the time.  Some players prefer to make less money if it means they will be successful and win a championship.  No knock against DL's team, but he was just recently promoted and likely lost that type of player to a more established (maybe just recently demoted GHL) team.  Some players only want money, some want to be the star, and some want to be in first place even if it means being 4th line and paid less, just like in real life.  

In this specific example, I totally agree with you.  If I were that FA, i would have totally signed with the other team as well.  And I'm glad he did... it puts a chip on my shoulder :-)  (like Tom Brady).

I think my point was more around (1) new managers taking over, and (2) level of competition each manager has faced.  There are 30+ managers in Biscuit who are more established than I am.  But I did promote with a high level of competition.  And using an extreme example... I took over a team in a fast world a few seasons ago in LIHL and was able to rattle off 26 straight wins and promote (under a different account).  The league was watered down with 1/2 computer teams.  It wasn't impressive at all.  If someone wanted to (which I highly discourage), they could do this year after year and build their reputation, then take over a team in a Slow world.  They would immediately be one of the top managers and have the inside track to the best FAs.  That isn't right.  I'd much rather work my way up the right way.  In other words, if I joined Biscuit with that other account, that account would be rated higher than my current Biscuit account, which would be absurd.

Posted January 17, 2018 - 09:56 AM

GamePlanHockey

Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1307 posts
  • 142 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

Human managers will always have an advantage over computer teams when it comes to tactics and strategy. Computer teams will however protect their players and make sure they have as good roster as possible. This is to ensure that there are competitive teams available for new users.

If someone wanted to (which I highly discourage), they could do this year after year and build their reputation, then take over a team in a Slow world.  They would immediately be one of the top managers and have the inside track to the best FAs.  That isn't right.  I'd much rather work my way up the right way.  In other words, if I joined Biscuit with that other account, that account would be rated higher than my current Biscuit account, which would be absurd.

I'm actually looking into a way how to rate manager reputation and success differently depending on world speed.

Posted January 17, 2018 - 11:52 AM

jusatin

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 326 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: July 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

Steam Profile

I'm actually looking into a way how to rate manager reputation and success differently depending on world speed.

I feel like manager reputation should be world specific, when you move to a new world your reputation should start from the same level as a new player.

Posted January 17, 2018 - 04:33 PM

granpubah

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

this has all been great for me.  lively discussion of how the game is played is a great learning tool.  FYI my fishbowl team started with a bang.  hopefully my dangles and biscuit teams will be better as well.  see ya in GHL soon!

Posted February 12, 2018 - 03:22 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

a free agent recently rejected my offer and signed with another team (same league) who offered him $200K less.  Ouch. 

No, this makes sense and happens in real life all the time.  Some players prefer to make less money if it means they will be successful and win a championship.  No knock against DL's team, but he was just recently promoted and likely lost that type of player to a more established (maybe just recently demoted GHL) team.

I know I'm wayyy off topic here, but as I was looking at the league standings today I remembered this conversation.  And I just want to point out that I am well ahead of the team who was able to sign that player for $200K less than I offered him... AND... the player is now on the trade block.  No disrespect to the other manager (no one will ever know who I am talking about), but to the player who refused to sign with me and went with the other team instead... IN YOUR FACE!  Bad move, bro.  Enjoy what's left of your career. :P

Posted February 12, 2018 - 04:09 PM

Pingu

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2016
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium
In the meantime I promoted to fishbowl shl and am first for the moment

Posted February 12, 2018 - 06:04 PM

granpubah

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Good for you Lepard!!!  My biscuit Lihl team is tied for 1st.  figures to move up.  my danges and fishbowl teams have been between 1st and 4th  all year. 

Posted February 12, 2018 - 09:31 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I know I'm wayyy off topic here, but as I was looking at the league standings today I remembered this conversation.  And I just want to point out that I am well ahead of the team who was able to sign that player for $200K less than I offered him... AND... the player is now on the trade block.  No disrespect to the other manager (no one will ever know who I am talking about), but to the player who refused to sign with me and went with the other team instead... IN YOUR FACE!  Bad move, bro.  Enjoy what's left of your career. :P

After I posted this I got a message from another manager.  They understood the "comical tone" behind what I wrote above, but let me know that it could have been taken the wrong way by some... so I figured I would clarify.  First, thanks for pointing that out.  Second, this was in no means meant to be arrogant and I hope it wasn't offensive to anyone.  Posts like the one above are meant for entertainment purposes only.  It's fun to pretend this is more than just a text based game with player personalities and such - trying to develop some rivalries and bad blood with other players and teams.  Personally I think the forums could use a bit more trash talk (the kind of respectful trash talk you really don't mean... but adds to the excitement of the game).  Now that's an idea for a new thread... The Respectful Trash Talk Thread.  OK enough said here, carry on....

Posted February 12, 2018 - 10:20 PM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationSri Lanka

Posts like the one above are meant for entertainment purposes only.  It's fun to pretend this is more than just a text based game with player personalities and such - trying to develop some rivalries and bad blood with other players and teams.  Personally I think the forums could use a bit more trash talk (the kind of respectful trash talk you really don't mean... but adds to the excitement of the game).  

Agree with you there.  I have a couple managers that we jab each other back and forth via PM.  Also, there are definitely black listed players I will never try to acquire again and love to beat them, no matter their team of the month they are on.  If there was a "make them bleed" tactic, I would certainly employ it for certain matchups.  :)

Posted February 12, 2018 - 10:34 PM

ncik

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I do like the idea of rivalries. I think they are present in individual worlds but don't have the same weight since those that play this game are spread across multiple worlds. I'll tell you what though, when that NA style world rolls around where there is no relegating or promoting just season after season of battling it out with the same teams, that is when we are going to get some real rivalries and some trash talk. I can't wait.

Edit: Cohesive sentences go to crap when I'm rushing, needed to make the post readable.

Posted February 13, 2018 - 08:03 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

I don't know, in GHL (I'm playing Biscuit), there are many teams 10+ seasons, so enough time to build a rivalry. There is a team I played 6 times in a row in cup final, that has to make some healthy rivalry :)

Posted February 13, 2018 - 09:38 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I don't know, in GHL (I'm playing Biscuit), there are many teams 10+ seasons, so enough time to build a rivalry. There is a team I played 6 times in a row in cup final, that has to make some healthy rivalry :)

One of my many goals is to beat the Protons in a regular season game.  Of course I need to make it to GHL first. :cool:

Bouncer - save a preseason game for me next season!  I want to push my luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users