GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSri Lanka

I currently have 30 + 4 prospects.  I don't think prospects should count against your roster limit since they are unsigned.  It'd also encourage those prospects that are turning 21 to either be dealt or released to proper leagues instead of signing and burying in the minors for less than a $200k per season.  

I'd be fine with a limit of 35 at GHL level.  I think most of us would, but this would also unfairly disadvantage newly promoted teams who might be carrying salaries from even two leagues below.  If they cut them, then that counts against their cap, only making it more difficult for them to compete.  Plus, it wipes out a lot of their insurance salaries if they get demoted in their 1st or 2nd season at the higher level.  Maybe promoted teams could be given a 1-season time frame to meet the new league's roster limit?

Posted March 26, 2018 - 01:08 AM

koekefix

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • 6 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBelgium
@Steve: When teams promote and they have players from lower league(s) they can cut them for free.

Roster limit sounds good to me. It will solve some problems for sure.

Posted March 26, 2018 - 03:22 AM

ColoKrabatt

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Reliable

@Steve: When teams promote and they have players from lower league(s) they can cut them for free.

Mostly they can't. I know from own experience. I had a half of the team on promotion contracts to have enough quality to be able win promotion. So they weren't on "lower league level contract" next season....

HOWITZER |GHL| OGDENSBURG BEASTS      ALL STAR  

DANGLES  
|IHL| OGEMA OUTSIDERS

Posted March 26, 2018 - 05:08 AM

Erzac

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • 6 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

--  It'd also encourage those prospects that are turning 21 to either be dealt or released to proper leagues instead of signing and burying in the minors for less than a $200k per season.  --

Personally I feel 21 is a bit early to let go of a player. I've some home-grown prospects that I expect to be ready for GHL around 23-24. A solution that has been suggested previously would be to force all players upwards of a certain age(~25) to go through waivers in order to stay in or be sent into minors. That would allow you to develop your own prospects for a few years, but would prevent the signing of older (capable) FA's just to sit in the minors.

Contract signing/extension logic could also be updated so that if a player could clearly "see" that he won't get main roster ice time he'd deserve, he wouldn't sign with such a team. Maybe have an "expectation" that players could have, like "top-6 forward", "top-2 defenseman", or "nr.1 goaltender" and if that's not met, there would be a happiness penalty, as well as a reluctance to sign an extension with a team that has not met a player's expectations.

I'm also for a roster limit ~35-40.

Posted March 26, 2018 - 08:02 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • 22 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

I currently have 30 + 4 prospects.  I don't think prospects should count against your roster limit since they are unsigned.  It'd also encourage those prospects that are turning 21 to either be dealt or released to proper leagues instead of signing and burying in the minors for less than a $200k per season.  

I'd be fine with a limit of 35 at GHL level.  I think most of us would, but this would also unfairly disadvantage newly promoted teams who might be carrying salaries from even two leagues below.  If they cut them, then that counts against their cap, only making it more difficult for them to compete.  Plus, it wipes out a lot of their insurance salaries if they get demoted in their 1st or 2nd season at the higher level.  Maybe promoted teams could be given a 1-season time frame to meet the new league's roster limit?

Unsigned prospects shouldn't count to the roster limit because they aren't signed onto the roster. That said the manager that has them is wasting their development potential to a degree by not signing them.

As for the newly promoted teams be more aware of your players contracts. Part of the strategy of this game is being able to financially work your contracts in such a way that when you promote you still have the flexibility to adjust the roster to the new league. You over commit to your roster in the league you are in and promote there will be the penalty to pay when you promote a la all of the promotional contracts.

Mostly they can't. I know from own experience. I had a half of the team on promotion contracts to have enough quality to be able win promotion. So they weren't on "lower league level contract" next season....

That is because they were promotional contracts. Non promotional contracts become lower league contracts which you can then cut for free. When I unexpectedly promoted to the GHL so long ago I didn't have very many promotional contracts and could have easily cut a majority of my team when I promoted. Then again cutting players back then when not for free only lead to a lockout of half the salary for x days with x equal to the remaining seasons left under the contract.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users