• PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: January 2016
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationCanada

Steam Profile

Hi Anders,

What do we need to do to help you improve server speed?  Do you need another server?  A better hosting company?

Please let us all know as I'm sure just about all of us would like better speed.

Thanks!

Posted December 06, 2017 - 11:23 AM

jusatin

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 345 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: July 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

Steam Profile

He needs to pay for a faster, more reliable hosting solution (basically a private host or set up his own which is even more expensive). You can help him by becoming a Patreon or donating via PayPal.

Posted December 06, 2017 - 04:49 PM

GamePlanHockey

Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1407 posts
  • 149 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

First, I'm aware that page speed is slow. And from time to time I agree that it's unbearable.

The next release will include quite many improvements that will reduce database load. This will hopefully improve page speed quite a lot. This is almost done and will hopefully be released in a couple of weeks.

So what about hosting? As Jusatin mentioned being a Patreon is the best way to support the upgrade of hosting environment. But this isn't cheap. The game is too complex to run at a "normal" hosting company. The game's databases requires a lot of storage and the license isn't cheap if you want to use multiple cpu and a lot of RAM. I will need somewhere around $1000 a month to move the game to a high performing cloud based hosting environment (this includes license costs). Currently I'm making $67 / month, which almost covers the current server costs. You can see those goals on the Patreon site.

But I'm trying to do the best I can with what I got and every $ donated will be used to improve this game. That I can promise you.

Posted December 14, 2017 - 02:52 PM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

I'm not very skilled in this area, but what is the real problem? How many people are connected to the game at one moment? 20, 50? Maybe 100 in some very frequent times... But that should be ok for normal hosting. That might fine for free hosting, to be honest...

So, the database is the issue... But how do you need so large database and brutal traffic to and from database? This game has 7 game worlds with up to 80 human teams in each. That is rather small number and yet the server is slow and the game is "simulating" all the time. And i guess the number of teams is not really an issue for you, otherwise you wouldn't start a new lightning world. 

So, the question is... why the database is so big? This is just textual game with numbers and you don't even keep games from previous seasons (which I consider normal in online managers).

Posted December 19, 2017 - 07:53 AM

neuralhandshake

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: May 2016
Rep - Reliable

Steam Profile

I think the issue is just the amount of information the server has to process is enormous. I've noticed in playing on Dangles and Lumber, Lumber takes 10x longer to load pretty much any page, while Dangles I can (almost) zip through pages and players with (very little) lag/issue. But Lumber can be like pulling teeth sometimes just to get anything to load.

I assume this is because of the sheer amount of data that Lumber has accumulated and the mass of players (as in the hockey guys). Messages don't seem to truly delete, unless Anders fixed this--deleting one message just means one older one comes back into your inbox instead of them truly being gone. So if you've played for 30 seasons, you could spend hours individually deleting messages before actually ending up with an empty inbox.

Additionally, with Lumber, there's just so many free agents. I was trying to load the Lumber Transfers to see how many total players there are but it takes a million years to load that to begin with, so I can only say there's roughly 855 free agents right now with 5856 total players (it finally loaded). Compared to 2,500 total players in Dangles. The strain here probably comes from the amount of data from having that many players and their histories. The game follows players from age 15 to, sometimes, age 40. That's every season tracking their development, stats, hidden qualities, etc. That's a huge amount of data, I imagine.

So how can Anders fix this?

Aside from getting the $1,000 he needs per month to run at optimal speeds, I think implementing a permanent delete feature for messages would help--once your inbox is full, old messages DELETE instead of just going into a retrievable zone. I mentioned this maybe a year ago, not sure if it was ever changed, but this is a big thing that I think would have an impact on server stress and very little negative impact on playability.

My other suggestion would be to just slice the number of generated players down a lot. More guys over 36 should retire and only 'noteworthy' ones (with achievements like Cup wins, stars of the week, chart topping stats, etc.) should be retained as viewable. Guys tend to decline after 33 with very few being Iron Men who stay sharp at 36, both in real life and in game. Jagr should be 1 per every 2500 players. Not as common.

Additionally, Dangles is showing how a world can run on a database of 2,500 players. Dangles is still young, but every season when new Juniors are generated, the old guys should be retired and deleted/retained at a similar ratio. 2,5000 seems to be a decent size right now, maybe 500 more might help variety, but most teams are stacked and full already. 

IMHO, Dangles is what Anders should be striving for--quick load times, manageable database sizes, and a small backlog of messages because it's still young.

Of course, I don't know much, I'm just spitballing... but I feel like if Lumber's player database was cut in half it would load at least a LITTLE faster.

Posted December 19, 2017 - 10:49 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I'm not sure how much strain ancient game logs puts on the server, but I imagine that after a season ends, the old game logs are pretty much pointless. Currently I am able to access random game logs played multiple seasons back just by typing random gpids (I'm guessing game played ids) in the url bar.

Posted January 01, 2018 - 10:40 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

So everything is stored in the database, but you cannot access it (if it is from previous seasons) unless you type the id to the url bar? Not a great solution imo. Since this game is promoting "Love for stats", it should allow to view all the history, as everything is stored in the database and add some normal mailbox (the inbox now is just horrible thing). Then it makes sense to invest some money. If not, make it cheap and delete all the information that is not used and users can enjoy fast loading of the game with reasonable expenses for the servers and hosting. But still how many players and games are in the world after 20 seasons? Tens of thousands? That is still rather small database at least to compared to what I'm using at work (you can't really compare work to free online manager, but still...)

Posted January 01, 2018 - 11:12 PM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSri Lanka

For each world, there are 4,800 games per season.  So in Biscuit, the slowest world, there are currently 12 seasons complete, that would be 57,600 game files.  The faster worlds would be even more.  I'm not sure how the database is structured, which would obviously affect server speed, but I'll let those of you that are experts in database management and development to opine about the best ways to handle this.  

As for past data, I had no idea it was available.  What I typically do is copy and paste my player's stats into a spreadsheet I just update each season so I can see past info.  Not fancy, but I at least have my info.  Would be nice to see some sort of historical file though.  Like who has scored the most goals in GHL/SHL, etc over the past 3 seasons, etc.  Now there is a lot of screen comparisons that need to be done with multiple player screens open.  I'd love to see player comparisons easier and on one screen.  

Posted January 08, 2018 - 05:35 AM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1407 posts
  • 149 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

The main performance issue is not the amount of users. As pointed out above the number of simultaneous users should be fine by any hosting option. It's the simulator that does pretty much all of the loads and writes from/to the database. It runs several times every day, sometimes doing something as often as every 5 minutes for each game world, everything from updating player happiness to checking user inactivity or finding suitable free agents for computer teams. Some simulations are of course bigger than others but most of them takes only a couple of seconds to run. I'm constantly working to reduce database load in these simulations, and there is still much more to be done. But this is the main reason why the server is slow, it's simply being too busy with simulations.

And yes, you're all right. The databases grow bigger for each season but some data is actually being deleted automatically too. Game logs, older inbox items and old player graph snapshots are a couple of examples of this. But team and player stats are stored and never deleted. Also retired players are kept. This is because I've been meaning to develop more detailed stats, the possibility to browse different seasons, all time scoring lists, hall of fame and such. I've just never got around to this yet. But browsing history is coming soon.

I will continue making improvements and I will also make a database upgrade in the soon future.

Thanks for all of your feedback and suggestions!

Posted January 08, 2018 - 06:22 AM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSri Lanka

Anders, would it make sense to provide the data, by Gameworld, in an offline file?  For instance, host the raw data or something in a spreadsheet or database (you all know better than me!) or whatever that would let people do whatever they want with the data?  This would free you and the simulator up from people just doing data mining and the users that really want this data can play with it as much as they want on the side?  We have some super smart managers that some serious data skills, might be an easy win-win to just give them the data and see what they come up with?!?

Posted January 09, 2018 - 03:37 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

I see why it is simulating all the time, even when no update is expected (no game, no training, no heath update...), but it is starting to be critical. Because of very slow speed, it took me 1 minute to load 2 teams pages (I was looking for friendly game and everyone was already fully booked, so it took me more than 5 minutes to scan enough teams to find a friendly) and since it is simulating more than 50 % of the time I'm here, I cannot send trade proposal when I have some time to do it. In short - the game is so slow and not responding, it is not fun anymore. This leads to less activity and with with less activity, I will quit playing soon. I'm at 100 MBit/s connection both at home and at work, so the problem should not be on my side. GPHM was never extremely fast, but last year or so, it getting slower very rapidly...

Posted January 09, 2018 - 04:14 AM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1407 posts
  • 149 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden
Steve: This is not a bad idea. I will look into what can be done.

Bouncer: I totally agree with you. This is of highest priority. I actually have an update ready that will improve page loading speed. Will do my best to install this as soon as possible.

Thanked by 1 Member:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users