GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSri Lanka

My starter goalie has been pulled three times in the first period in his past 5 starts. 10,62 GAA and 72,56 SV% in that span.

When is our next game!?!?!?

Posted February 06, 2018 - 06:19 AM

Erzac

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • 6 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

When is our next game!?!?!?

Unfortunately that is still 14 days away.

What's funny is that my starter has been pulled so consistently that my backup is now tired, and my alleged nr.1 goalie has full fitness.

Posted February 08, 2018 - 09:22 AM

Erzac

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

I have a dream... that my 92 OVR goalie could play a full 60 minutes. Almost made it through second period last night.

Attached Files

Posted February 08, 2018 - 09:57 AM

EXXEO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
Wow, that's pretty bad for a 92! How old are they?

Posted February 08, 2018 - 10:06 AM

HurjaHerra

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Reliable

Unfortunately that is still 14 days away.

What's funny is that my starter has been pulled so consistently that my backup is now tired, and my alleged nr.1 goalie has full fitness.

And here I was starting to get frustrated when my backup can't finish a game and my starter can't get rest :D

Posted February 08, 2018 - 10:35 AM

bhandsome08

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: February 2017
Rep - Helpful

I have a dream... that my 92 OVR goalie could play a full 60 minutes. Almost made it through second period last night.

Try changing "Team Focus" or get better defensive players? 

Posted February 08, 2018 - 01:29 PM

Erzac

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

Try changing "Team Focus" or get better defensive players? 

Team focus has been normal, or offensive when trailing. My defenders have an average defense rating of 94,7 and my forwards' average is 86,3. As well as having great physical and spirit ratings, so I really don't think I can blame it on defense.

Attached Files

Posted February 08, 2018 - 04:19 PM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

Hey Erzac, have tried to play a bit with tactics? I think the goalie is fine - skill-wise he is great, traits are worse, but not THAT bad to perform like this. For example aggressive forecheck as a defense tactic is difficult one for speed and size and your defenders are not that fast skaters or huge bodies. At least not in current GHL level measures. I also have some doubts about mixing offensive or TwoWay D's with StayAtHome types in GPHM. While this is good practice in real NHL (Karlsson and Method for example), I'm not sure the game engine here is built that way - at least the defensive pairs tactics does not look to favor such combinations. 

Posted February 09, 2018 - 12:45 AM

EXXEO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
I know we are stemming away from the thread here a bit but I have some mixed feelings about running an offensive and two-way defensive pairing (or mixed in general). I have tried both and found success with both. What perplexes me the most is what's happening in Clapper right now. It seems the higher you get in a world the more challenging it gets to pull off offensive feats, especially in defensive pairings. Haradrim and his Topcats have had some amazing seasons of late and is currently in the #1 spot in the GHL. He's running mixed lines and finding extreme success while doing it but I have the hardest time getting even my top guys to be productive and simultaneously defensive. There's a lot that goes into those parings...have a lot to work on in Biscuit for sure!

Posted February 09, 2018 - 05:46 AM

Erzac

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

Hey Erzac, have tried to play a bit with tactics? I think the goalie is fine - skill-wise he is great, traits are worse, but not THAT bad to perform like this. For example aggressive forecheck as a defense tactic is difficult one for speed and size and your defenders are not that fast skaters or huge bodies. At least not in current GHL level measures. I also have some doubts about mixing offensive or TwoWay D's with StayAtHome types in GPHM. While this is good practice in real NHL (Karlsson and Method for example), I'm not sure the game engine here is built that way - at least the defensive pairs tactics does not look to favor such combinations. 

I'm quite reluctant when it comes to changing tactics mid-season as I think familiarity is a more important factor short-term than having the right tactic. And I'd like to avoid another SHL trip. As for the defender roles I've just been following the assistant feedback, which has always been positive on that (most of the time "looked like a perfect fit").

In other news, Bockstael actually played a whole 60 minutes last night, with 'only' three goals against. Still a loss, but at least my backup got some rest...

Posted February 09, 2018 - 09:59 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

Well, there are many ways to go and many factors to be considered, but when I had troubles with my defense, I used to put all of them StayAtHome (especially 2nd and 3rd pairing) and my GA and the defenders performance improved (with adequate tactics). I call it play it simple - you can loose some offensive momentum, but for me it was always the way to allow less goals to win the game, not to score more :)

I'm not sure about assistants report, haven't tried that :) I look at players avg. performance and +/- to decide if it works or not. 

Posted February 09, 2018 - 10:44 AM

bhandsome08

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: February 2017
Rep - Helpful

I'm not sure about assistants report, haven't tried that :) I look at players avg. performance and +/- to decide if it works or not. 

That's what I do too. Almost never look at the assistants report. Not as accurate as I would like it to be.

I will always switch the team focus tactics to find the right balance. Right now in Dangles my team focus is Defensive.

First ten games the team went 1-2-0-7 with a 21 GF/ 33 GA which is terrible.

Team Focus tactic switch: Next 31 games team goes 24-1-1-5 with a 100 GF/ 51 GA. 

Now I lead the lead in GAA

Posted February 09, 2018 - 03:06 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I know we are stemming away from the thread here a bit

We are, but... I'm glad people are getting some use out of it.  When I originally made this post I thought I would be the only one in here posting silly pictures of random things.  I'll consider going off on an occasional tangent a win.  Most of the stuff in here has given me a good laugh.

Anyways - to get back on topic, I noticed this today.  I signed Sorensen as a FA last week.  He has played out of his mind on my 3rd line and is currently my only point per game player... 9 points in 8 games, 6 goals, a +6 and 79 rating.  It was good enough to earn him 2nd star of the week in SHL.

Attached File  Stats.png   12.47KB   1 downloads

Attached File  2nd Star.png   14.12KB   1 downloads

Yet when I check out why he is concerned I notice he is "unhappy with his game performance lately".  Talk about having high expectations....

Attached File  Unhappy.png   14.26KB   1 downloads

*SEASON 16 TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted February 12, 2018 - 01:18 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Attached File  Capture.PNG   20.47KB   0 downloads

Guess who won. I guess that it was about time something like this happened to me again.

Posted February 12, 2018 - 02:03 PM

Pingu

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2016
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium
Thats Ok I lost a 19 vs 47 game in clapper in a shootout

Posted February 12, 2018 - 04:39 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Thats Ok I lost a 19 vs 47 game in clapper in a shootout

I was a couple points away from even making overtime...

Posted February 14, 2018 - 03:26 AM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSri Lanka

Following a 5-1 beat down against the first place team (I even scored first!):

• The team managed quite well tactically in defence against our opponent's offense
  • The team did very well tactically during penalty killing against our opponent's powerplay
  • The team did very well tactically in offense against our opponent's defence

Posted February 14, 2018 - 04:54 AM

Erzac

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

• The team managed quite well tactically in defence against our opponent's offense
  • The team did very well tactically during penalty killing against our opponent's powerplay

We really need an update that would allow us to fire the assistant.

On a related note, my goaltenders have the following positive remark in every single game. Even the one on the bench. "Solid checking" is really something I look for in a goalie.

Edit: Also just noticed that the benched goalie always "Looked focused and determined on the ice". I want what my assistant is having.

Attached Files

Posted February 14, 2018 - 07:15 AM

Pingu

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2016
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium
Maybe during warmup

Posted February 14, 2018 - 09:22 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

This one is always funny when it happens... but there's a valid explanation.  The "tactical" notes aren't based on what happens in the game at all.  It is based on how well your tactics match up against your opponents.  For example, the Spread defense manages very well against the Dump and Chase offense.  The note will always read The team managed quite well tactically in defence against our opponent's offense regardless if you give up 1 or 6 goals.  I feel like a lot of the games notes are based more on how your team is set up rather than actual game results.

*SEASON 16 TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users