MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Hey, this is just a major annoyance that I have that is ruining my experience with Dangles. -Nevermind, I've actually resigned while writing this post.- The culprit? I guarantee it has to be something to do with reputation. Note, this will be a little bit of a vent.

The problem is no matter how much I and other teams seem to offer, all the free agents are going to Senet's team. For example I offered 7.9mil x 1 year deal to a guy initially only wanting 1.8 mil. He goes to Senet's for 4 years at 4mil. Whatever, the player probably wanted more term as well as going to the team with the higher rep. Finally, a similar player comes around again and I decide that there is no way that I can let this one except. The players ask? Around 1.8mil x 4 years. My offer? 7.9ish mil x 4 years. Nobody else could possibly do that, I'm sitting here wondering why the hell I just made that offer. Where does the player sign? Senets team at 7mil x 4 years. The only thing Senet's team had on my offer this time was his team and manager reputation. 

This is getting ridiculous, pretty much every free agent has gone to him and I'm pretty sure it's caused his team to snowball. Another thing: in past new worlds, affiliates didn't yet exist, and so cap was a major limiting factor in how many guys a single team could pick up. Now it's pretty easy to hide a massive salary in the minors for cheap which is exasperating this problem and letting Senet sign everybody. In the last contract I was talking about, there is no way he should have been able to afford the 7mil contract. He's signed everybody else often at higher amounts than others offered. I know this as there was a small discussion in the chat at the start of the season about this.

What made me quit while writing this is that I noticed he also made a trade with AI the same day trading with AI was enabled. Three 85ish players for an 89 player (one of the best players in the world) and 2 super young and promising prospects. The trade cleared some cap that will definitely be used for more free agents in the future, not to mention this or a similar trade wasn't even open to anyone else as nobody had the talent on their team that they could consider making a similar move. I'm a supporter of keeping AI trading enabled, but it has to be fair.

Posted October 30, 2017 - 01:53 AM

GamePlanHockey

Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1412 posts
  • 149 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

Team reputation is something that is being built over multiple seasons so there might be something off when calculating reputation on the very first season. The current league position might be too big of an influence. And as you mentioned, it has never before (affiliate teams) been the issue for one team to sign so many free agents. I will dig deeper in this matter.

Further improvements of Computer trading AI is also next on my todo.

Posted October 30, 2017 - 03:49 AM

fangwall

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: January 2016
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationCanada

Steam Profile

I also think that there should be a limit to how many affiliate players a team can own.   

Posted October 30, 2017 - 06:06 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I didn't realize that a manager's reputation factored into free agent signings.  If so, I think there are a couple of issues with that.

1) Nothing is stopping a manager from joining a fast or lightning world, building up reputation, then quitting and bringing that reputation over to a slow world.  Last season I tested out a team in a fast world, took over an LIHL team and rattled off 26 straight wins, then quit.  Someone could do this to manipulate manager's reputation.  For the record, I don't plan to compete regularly with the "other" email/profile.  Just felt like testing out a fast world... and it wasn't for me (also, wayyy too easy :P).

2) The manager's reputation in Biscuit is pretty whack.  I'm not sure what the formula is for calculating the rankings (is it based on wins or seasons or win %?), but something isn't right.  Looking at the "experienced" managers below (sure, I'll make this personal ;)).

#41 ___ 5 seasons ___ 116-8-11-125

#42 ___ 4 seasons ___ 108-8-9-78

#43 ___ 6 seasons ___ 167-21-25-127

#44 ___ 4 seasons ___ 74-5-6-49

#45 ___ 2 seasons ___ 52-2-3-9

#46 ___ 10 seasons __ 112-25-26-350

#47 ___ 3 seasons ___ 48-6-8-35

#48 ___ 4 seasons ___ 105-3-7-32

The manager ranked #48 seems like the most successful one if you ask me :cool:.  I mean, I'm cool with totally getting disrespected by the media, but if free agents are actually making decisions based on this ranking then that's another story.

*SEASON 16 TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted October 30, 2017 - 10:31 AM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Its based on wins, total games and promotions.

Posted October 30, 2017 - 11:53 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Its based on wins, total games and promotions.

Ahh... that makes sense.  I'm assuming promotions has a large impact.  Thanks for clarifying.

So my initial point is still valid.  In theory, a manager can take over an LIHL team in a fast world and promote (it's fairly easy from what I've seen - considering I took over a team, set the lineup once and won 26 in a row and finished 1st), then resign from the team, take over another LIHL team, promote, repeat.  Do this a few times before joining a slow world and you're golden with a nice reputation.

Maybe reputation should be specific to game world??

(sorry to hijack the thread)

Posted October 31, 2017 - 03:47 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

Welcome to the world of Senet... this is how likes to play and why he leaves Biscuits so often :)

But I find it strange the reputation played that strong role - I have also higher reputation than most, my team is usually 1st in GHL and in FA, I'm usually overpaid by team with lower reputation - for example mine 4.2M vs. 4.8M was in favor of more money. 7.9mil x 1 year vs. 4 years at 4mil - I guess this was mainly because fo years... if the player wanted 4 years, 1 year is a big minus.

Posted October 31, 2017 - 03:48 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

Paul T - Maybe reputation should be specific to game world??

Actually this make sense, but in that way, only computers can play GHL/SHL in the first couple of seasons. 

Posted October 31, 2017 - 04:12 AM

koekefix

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • 6 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBelgium
Promotion plays a big role indeed.
Been playing for 12 seasons in Biscuit (GHL) and have won the cup twice. Almost every time my team is 2nd in regular season and never been promoted since I only played in GHL. My rep is still successful.

Posted October 31, 2017 - 07:03 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

Is promotion that valuable? Is it even counted? I thought this is based mostly (only?) on number of wins - I have 597 + 55 OT, because I played since prototype. You have 436 + 65 as you did not played in prototype. xZhou (the only other manager with Worldclass rep. in Biscuit) has 561 + 74 and he had more promotions than I (also more seasons as he played other world), but my rep is larger (based on World ordering).

Posted October 31, 2017 - 07:14 AM

koekefix

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • 6 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBelgium
But you would assume that winning the cup could give you a boost in reputation.

Posted October 31, 2017 - 07:17 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

Maybe, better ask Anders ;-)

Posted October 31, 2017 - 09:03 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Is promotion that valuable? Is it even counted?

Yes, check out my post above.  All the teams ranked above mine have been promoted, which explains why they are ranked higher in "reputation".  Otherwise, if we are talking a combination of wins and/or win %, I think I am more successful.

Not complaining at all.  I dig the underdog role and like being disrespected.  I can create a story line out of it :) ... but I'd rather not have free agents give me the cold shoulder because of this media-based reputation.

Posted October 31, 2017 - 04:33 PM

GamePlanHockey

Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1412 posts
  • 149 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

Final league position (regular season), promotions, golden cup wins and game results (including goal differences) will impact the manager reputation. The manager reputation system has actually not been changed since the first prototype was released. So it's not perfected in any way. But it's not too bad either =) I have plans to extend the manager reputation in the future to make it more competitive. To accomplish this, there must be some further balancing made. And as Paul T mentions I might need to take a closer look on how to compare manager reputation between the different game world speed options.

Posted February 20, 2018 - 06:43 PM

Big-Bobby Clobber

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • 6 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Reliable

Manager rep was totally useless for us, when we took our supposed "Worldclass" rep, and went back to the LIHL, with a new team.

We were unable to even talk to any free-agent player above lvl 67.

Only about half of the lvl 65 players would even talk to us.

About 66% of the lvl 64's would allow us to negotiate a contract with them. 

Once the team won a few games: a few more players were listening.

There seems to be a definite change with the team rep, but manager rep was zilch. 

Posted February 22, 2018 - 12:21 PM

bhandsome08

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: February 2017
Rep - Helpful

Manager rep was totally useless for us, when we took our supposed "Worldclass" rep, and went back to the LIHL, with a new team.
We were unable to even talk to any free-agent player above lvl 67.
Only about half of the lvl 65 players would even talk to us.
About 66% of the lvl 64's would allow us to negotiate a contract with them. 

Once the team won a few games: a few more players were listening.

There seems to be a definite change with the team rep, but manager rep was zilch.

I think team rep counts more for signing FAs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users