• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationToronto

Hello all,

Just tossing my two cents here regarding the transfer market search functions.  We can look as this as a complete overhaul/update OR make it a Supporter/All-Star function and that could help drive some players to support as well.

Categories:

• Filter by League Level
  • Filter by Character Trait
  • Filter by Height
  • Filter by Weight
  • Filter by classification (Powerforward, Sniper, Twoway)
  • Search by Name

League Level - This could be to look up prospects that are within your tier or above for trading purposes.

Character Trait - Helps narrow down the type of player you want

Height - Definitely helps narrow down your size range

Weight - Same as above

Classification - Looking for a Two-Way Forward?  Here's your candidates.  BUT the catch here is that some players may have a primary and be able to fill some secondary roles.  Your responsibility to dig here.

Search by Name - Good way to find a player you're looking for specifically.  

Just my two cents :)

Posted September 12, 2017 - 06:30 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 307 posts
  • 12 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Reliable

Good stuff, wushuguy, I guarantee this suggestion is not falling on deaf ears. ;)

Manager of:

Dunkirk Sea Hawks | GHL | Lumber
Prairie City Steers | SHL | Clapper
Otego Arrowheads | IHL | Dangles
Bushong Hill Giants | GHL | UAT Mitts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 07:45 PM

TheWeekKnights

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: June 2016
Rep - Reliable

Really good idea. I've been hoping for a filter overhaul for a little while.  It really applies to lower leagues, especially.  

Posted September 12, 2017 - 10:31 PM

wushuguy

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationToronto

Good stuff, wushuguy, I guarantee this suggestion is not falling on deaf ears. ;)

Glad to hear! :)

Posted September 14, 2017 - 02:30 AM

Glawing

GamePlanHockey Support Team

• Moderators
  • 46 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2016
Rep - Helpful

Hi and thank you for suggestion!

We are aware about implementing more searchfilters in the transfer window. Before we implement we need to decide what we want in there and not. Because we want it to be a bit "harder" to find the perfect player otherwise everyone could just hit the search button and no "skill or work" is involved. On the other hand we don´t want it to be irritating when looking for players. You should be able to find the one you looking for. 

But to calm you this is on the todo list and we will have a look at the transfer window in general. 

//Tobias

Posted September 14, 2017 - 06:50 AM

wushuguy

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationToronto

Hi and thank you for suggestion!

We are aware about implementing more searchfilters in the transfer window. Before we implement we need to decide what we want in there and not. Because we want it to be a bit "harder" to find the perfect player otherwise everyone could just hit the search button and no "skill or work" is involved. On the other hand we don´t want it to be irritating when looking for players. You should be able to find the one you looking for. 

But to calm you this is on the todo list and we will have a look at the transfer window in general. 

//Tobias

Hahah no worries.  I dont mind sifting through pages of players.  Just a suggestion because it could be annoying to newcomers :)

Posted September 14, 2017 - 08:06 AM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • 12 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Reliable
Maybe somehow link the available filters to how good your scouts are (when team personnel are added)? Not sure how that might work tho.

Posted September 14, 2017 - 08:44 AM

wushuguy

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationToronto

Maybe somehow link the available filters to how good your scouts are (when team personnel are added)? Not sure how that might work tho.

Adding team staff could be interesting.  Can help with injuries, scouting etc. 

Posted September 14, 2017 - 09:28 AM

Erzac

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationFinland

I don't think filters should be limited in availability or usability in any way. It's a "quality of life" - feature that should reduce manual labor and just make things faster. Any relevant detail that you can find manually should have a filter available for it.

Posted September 14, 2017 - 11:39 AM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

@Erzac, I see what you mean. However, that's not how it works in RL right....yeah, you can sort through databases of players' stats, etc. But you can't really do that with personality types (in GPH - Profiles). That would be something even scouting would reveal little about (off-ice stuff involved as well). So, it kinda makes sense that we sorta need to manually sift through those things, but pairing those filters with your team personnel efficiency might be an idea worth looking at. Just something that came to mind as I was reading through the above posts, didn't really put much thought into how it would actually work.

Come to think of it, I suppose you could make a case that even in RL, you would be able to get an idea of a player's Profile via their contract history, performance in big games, etc. For example, if you want to search for Big Game players, you'd look into player history in Elimination games, Tournaments, Playoffs, Game 7's, etc.

Hope that kinda makes sense. Sorry for the rambling :D

Posted September 14, 2017 - 11:45 AM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

I guess I'm making a parallel between us putting effort into searching for certain players and RL scouts finding players to draft, sign, etc. I suppose there's gotta be a balance between making the game like RL and comfortable for GMs as well.

Posted September 14, 2017 - 12:01 PM

Erzac

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationFinland

@canucks I see what you're getting at. And I agree that the information we get on players could be more vague - and maybe scouting staff etc. could then make that information more accurate. But for all the factual information we have on a player, (which is pretty much everything right now, and perhaps that shouldn't be the case), there should be a search function, as acquiring that data is possible manually and only requires time.

Posted September 15, 2017 - 12:28 PM

Paul T

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBOSTON

@canucks I see what you're getting at. And I agree that the information we get on players could be more vague - and maybe scouting staff etc. could then make that information more accurate. But for all the factual information we have on a player, (which is pretty much everything right now, and perhaps that shouldn't be the case), there should be a search function, as acquiring that data is possible manually and only requires time.

I've gone back and forth on this and have come to agree with this point of view. 

The traits data is already available, it's just a matter of time clicking through every player to find it.  Perhaps a happy medium is to only allow managers to select 1 specific trait to a search instead of being able to filter out all the traits you don't like?  For example, you can limit your search to Friendly/Respectful/Role Model players only, instead of being able to filter out every trait you don't want.  If you want Compassionate/Respectful/Role Models, you have to do another search.  But if that is not possible and it's one way or the other, I'd much rather be able to filter on traits to save time.  You'll still need to sift through the candidates to find the combination of ratings you like.

Also, being able to select traits has it's advantages - but it also has it's disadvantages as your search could potentially exclude a really good player just because you were looking for different traits.  A good example is my defenseman KANTARIK.  He's an  Arrogant , Agitator,  Childish , Anxious and Lazy.  He also improves 2-3 ratings per year, doesn't ask for too much $$ given his rating, and plays very well. 

I also like the height/weight filter for the same reasons.  I can do without league level and classification as you can already determine that information by their ratings.

Posted September 15, 2017 - 01:19 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I don't like the idea of searching for personality traits. I look at it like this, I'm searching for players based upon their skill/stats I have no idea what their personality is going to be like. The stats are given data that's collected, personality traits, not so much. When I then click on a player to view his traits, it's like I am giving him a small interview to find out what his personality is like and then can decide if he fits in my teams culture. I enjoy games where everything is not just searchable and people have to do a little work, I think personality is something that doesn't belong in that searchable category.

Height and weight are just numbers, I wouldn't mind those being searchable.

Posted September 15, 2017 - 02:12 PM

Paul T

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBOSTON

I don't like the idea of searching for personality traits. I look at it like this, I'm searching for players based upon their skill/stats I have no idea what their personality is going to be like. The stats are given data that's collected, personality traits, not so much. When I then click on a player to view his traits, it's like I am giving him a small interview to find out what his personality is like and then can decide if he fits in my teams culture. I enjoy games where everything is not just searchable and people have to do a little work, I think personality is something that doesn't belong in that searchable category.

Good points.  But what about managers who are only searching for a specific type of player.  If you want a Herioc guy like a Justin Williams... or you need a tough/agitator for a Grinder/Energy line.  Maybe it's an either/or search function.  You can either search on ratings or search on traits.  That way, you still need to do your research, but the option is there if you want it.

Posted September 15, 2017 - 07:41 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

But that is exactly the situation that I don't really want. As I said earlier, skills/stats are well documented and every team should easily be able to quickly find a player that fits their skill requirements. But personality traits are different; you don't know what a guy is like until you meet him, and the current method of having to click on players to see their traits is a decent alternative to interviewing a guy as I doubt most people would like to actually converse with every player to find out what they are like.

Another argument is the fact that everybody would try and pick up role-model-type players. Sure some "blue traits" would be searched for to keep a team balanced, but that still ignores a bunch of players. You mentioned earlier in another comment that there would be a bunch of good players excluded simple due to having a bad trait, but does that really matter? Older leagues have a glut of players and I am sure that everybody is able to find that perfect player to add to their team. The current method forces managers to click each player and manually look for the traits they want. But because I don't see most managers sifting through more than 30 players trying to find the perfect guys, unperfect players are often given a chance to sign and play on a team. Also, what would be the point of even having traits in this game if every manager just signed perfect players? Mentalities would just become a moot feature of this game.

Posted September 15, 2017 - 09:51 PM

Paul T

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBOSTON

I totally get your point of view.  I don't think it should be "easy" for managers to build a perfect team either, and feel that managers should have to do some work before finding a perfect player.  I think there has to be a happy medium.

A few things just to preface:

1.  I'm not trying to be argumentative - just wanted to add some additional thoughts/perspective below.

2.  I have only played in a BHL league, so most of my thoughts are formulated based on that.  If things are different once you get to SHL/GHL, then maybe it's not a good idea to make things "easier" as you have suggested.  I truly don't know.

skills/stats are well documented and every team should easily be able to quickly find a player that fits their skill requirements. But personality traits are different; you don't know what a guy is like until you meet him, and the current method of having to click on players to see their traits is a decent alternative to interviewing a guy as I doubt most people would like to actually converse with every player to find out what they are like.

Is that really true for free agents, though?  Once a player is in the league (and I'm referencing the NHL here), you have a good idea if they are cocky or arrogant (Ego), how they play (Dirty), if they are a Leader or not - and later in their career if they are a Big Games player.  Even to a certain extent their Ambition.  If an NHL GM is looking for a Tough player, he already knows which players are tough and which are not.  A good example is the Penguins signing Hornqvist a few years ago.  Why would you interview the Sedin twins if you're looking for a tough grinder?

As rookies, sure, you don't know much about players... but as the game is set up now, you can't filter prospects, you have to click through each one individually for the draft.  This makes sense to me.  Having to do this with free agents does not.

Plus with all the media attention these days, there's so much information on every single player it's insane.  And as managers, we are only one person.  Professional teams have assistant coaches, other assistants, multiple scouts, etc.  The information is readily available.

Another argument is the fact that everybody would try and pick up role-model-type players.

Yes, but that is probably what most managers try to do now.  Having a search filter to help you out doesn't change this tactic, it only makes it less time consuming.  Sometimes you need to make a judgement call between a better player skill-wise, or a less skilled player with better traits.  Personally, I'd take the skill.

You mentioned earlier in another comment that there would be a bunch of good players excluded simple due to having a bad trait, but does that really matter?

Yes, because filtering out a certain trait could potentially filter out a player that could fit your team perfectly, all because he has 1 bad trait.  In a way, it would make the manager have to perform multiple searches, rather than one, and be just as time consuming.  You have to be smart about it.  I see the trait filter working when you know EXACTLY what kind of player you want, otherwise, you wouldn't be maximizing your results.

Also, what would be the point of even having traits in this game if every manager just signed perfect players? Mentalities would just become a moot feature of this game.

Again, I don't think building the perfect team is as easy as it sounds (maybe it's easier in GHL?).  I only have 2 players on my team that have ALL blue/green traits.  3 if you count a prospect that hasn't played a game yet.  Often times, when you are deciding between a few players, you have to make judgement calls over which red/orange traits you can accept and which blue/green traits are more important for your team.  And sometimes even when you find that perfect player, there's a chance that things won't work with salary... cap management still comes into play.  There's still a lot of moving parts.

Next year I am going to be looking for a grinder who plays tough to fill out a 4th line, and assuming I don't promote, I'll be up against the cap.  I spent a good 1/2 hour today looking at free agents alone (had a break in between meetings at work :)).  Filtered based on a certain Spirit rating and made sure a few other ratings didn't go below a certain amount, click on player 1, he's not tough PASS, click on player 2, he's tough but nervous PASS, click on player 3, he's tough and has good other traits, but his endurance is a 47 PASS, click on player 4, he's perfect in every way, click on contract, he wants 100K more than I can spend PASS, repeat x30...

I don't think adding an extra search filter for traits will change anyone's strategy, it would just save time.  Everyone already tries to acquire players with good traits.  It would just be an option for managers who know exactly what type of player they want and don't want to click through 20-30 players to find it.  I would assume most of us have jobs and some of us families.  Saving a few minutes here and there isn't a bad thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users