Baden

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Reliable

I think the draft system needs a revamp.... for example why does the number 1 team in the GHL get the number 1 pick....to me they should have the 16th pick at least .... What should happen IMO is the SHL and GHL Being Pro leagues should be treated as such ...In other words if after relegation playoffs you are last in SHL your team should have first draft Pick in round 1 32nd pick round 2 and 1st pick in round 3 ... after reg season and before playoffs if your first in GHL you would get 32nd pick in first round , first pick in 2nd round and 32nd pick in 3rd round This would help with evening things up..... the other 3 (BHL IHL LIHL ) could be grouped the same way. example... My Team NSS after relagation playoffs now sit in 14th place in IHL my draft pick should be 19th in round 1 of the bottom 3 leagues. Bueno Park Fire shoul have 1st pick of round 1 of the draft for our 3 leagues.... So the 97th ranked player in the youth draft would be able to play for LIHL. this would go a long way to improve all teams in all leagues....The Oshawa Outlaws would have number 1 pick in first round...would go a long way to helping Oshawa compete........ just my opinion :)...... Maybe I'm wrong about how it works please if someone can explain the draft process Would be Awesome.....  The Oshawa Outlaws would have number 1 pick in first round...would go a long way to helping Oshawa compete.

Posted August 10, 2017 - 04:20 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

First of all, this should be in suggestions.

Second, I don't think it would work, nor do I think it is fair. If you look at what is drafted in the first round, they are generally guys that could fit into their respective leagues. Eg: First few picks can almost all play in the GHL. Why should the SHL get those players? Why should the players accept that knowing that they should be playing in a better league. If your reason is that the leagues should be equal than  I completely disagree. The promotion/relegation system works so that there is a progression of worse to best teams.  An average GHL team should almost always beat an average SHL team and the same should go for the lower leagues. And why should a player be forced to go to a team that likely isn't going to be able to sign him after his entry level expires. To me, it doesn't make much sense.

Also, the top GHL team does not get the 1st overall pick, I think you are misunderstanding the current system. If it happens to have it, then the team traded for the pick that became number 1 earlier in the season. If you go to the Youth Draft section, you can see who originally owned the pick. In case you didn't know the league draft order, its: GHL - GHL - SHL - GHL - SHL - BHL - SHL - BHL - IHL - BHL - IHL - LIHL - IHL - LIHL - LIHL. In general, a leagues first round is above the 3rd round of the league above them, that gives team a chance to draft better players that helps teams earn promotion or else have prospects that can still compete if they do happen to earn promotion. As for the order of the draft, the teams that earned promotion or survived relegation playoffs will get a lottery for the top 4 picks. After that, the order is basically from the worst team and ending with the best teams and then finally the teams that were just relegated as they likely still have a bunch of really good players.

Posted August 10, 2017 - 05:37 PM

Baden

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Reliable

Thank you for the great explanation.... I get what yer saying.... I thought I was misunderstanding this. I Think thats what I like about this site Everyone is very helpfull. Good luck in your season :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users