Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Fellow Managers,

I was chatting with a manager friend recently and they brought up that they had not seen the OT time get much higher than 3 minutes of late. It also seems that rather than having OT resolutions most of the time the game is decided in the Shootout. Furthermore, one player has been seen shooting multiple times while during the same shootout. I plan on posting my findings on this topic and ask you to do the same if you find some oddities. I'm not sure whether this is an official bug but the more info we can wrangle up the better chance we have of helping Anders find a resolution. 

Posted July 30, 2017 - 12:41 AM

MattBerserkers

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I decided to do a quick check on Fishbowl and went back to day 50 in the GHL.

My results: 

22 games needed extra time

7 games finished in overtime

of the 15 games going into shootout:

7 games displayed only 3 or fewer minutes of action in overtime

However, the most recent (since the lastest update) had 3 or 4 shootout games and they all displayed 3 minutes or less of action in the overtime period.

My conclusion: If you guys see have similar results, there might be something that happened recently, but ultimately I don't have enough data to discount chance since the last update. And I don't think Anders changed the overtime engine recently, so I doubt that there's a bug. My only concern is that it is rare to see an actionless 2 minutes or more in regular time. I'm curious what you two found.

Posted July 30, 2017 - 08:49 PM

EXXEO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
The following is info derived from my Clapper team.

Currently we have had 9 extra time matches this season but only 1 has been resolved in OT.

Bellow are tally marks showing times of OT shown in the play-by-play before heading to the shootout.

Last Activity in OT / Number of Games

0:00 / 1 (yes, this is the last activity)
0:30 / 1
1:00 / 2
3:30 / 1
4:00 / 1
4:30 / 2
OT Resolved @ 3:30 / 1

I didn't look too intently at the shootout lineups yet but I will soon.

Posted July 31, 2017 - 05:01 AM

jusatin

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 346 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: July 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

Steam Profile

Added some clarification in the title and moved to general discussion as not really a bug. Will keep eyeing the topics, if it seems like a bug might move back in the bug reports section. For now let's keep it away from there and gather more evidence.

Posted July 31, 2017 - 06:56 AM

Mattti0

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationFinland

I researched some data from Howitzer LIHL Season 16 (regular season) and this is what I noticed:

11.9 % of games went to OT -> 84 % of those games went to SO (in NHL 2016 - 2017 OT % was 23.5)

60.4 % of SO games last action was 4:00 or later. For more detailed info check attached image

Br.,

Matti

Attached Files

Posted September 01, 2017 - 11:31 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I've had 2 games go to OT/SO this year.  The first game had full action through 4:30 of OT before going to a SO.  The second game stopped at 0:00 and immediately went to a SO.  If it's a bug, it's a random bug that doesn't happen all the time.

In both games, my Line 1 (which is also my PP1) took the 5 shots.  However this was not true for my opponent.  I guess it could have been his PP1, but it definitely was not his Line 1.  I even looked to see if the game took the best 5 shooters (or best 5 of any attribute... or players with the most ice time, etc...) but none of those were the case.  Seems to be a mystery that only Anders can answer.

The last thing I've noticed is that my team is absolutely horrible in shootouts :cool:

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted September 02, 2017 - 01:54 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Another shootout.  This time there was action for the first 2:00 of OT, then nothing for the final 3 mins.

Same players shot for my team again (all Line 1 players).  In order:  RW, LW, C, LD, RD.  Same order from my other two SOs.  We were tied after 5 shots.  The 6th shooter was the LW on my Line 2.  My opponents rotation made no sense to me.

And I finally won one.

It would be really cool if you could update your SO lineup.

Posted September 04, 2017 - 06:49 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

One additional observation, for what it's worth, my goalie who was a part of all 3 OT/SO games has 1208 minutes played.  To this point, neither of my goalies have been pulled this year.  The goalie in question has started 20 games (1200 / 60 = 20), which means the extra 8 minutes are from OT.  Having gone to 3 OTs, the minutes don't add up.

From my previous posts, the OT times have stopped at 4:30, 0:00, 2:00.  Adding 30 seconds to each time gives a total of 8 minutes.  There is definitely something happening that is cutting the OT periods short (and it seems to be very random).

I don't care all that much about it, just thought I'd help toward the research here...

Posted September 05, 2017 - 08:02 PM

EXXEO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

One additional observation, for what it's worth, my goalie who was a part of all 3 OT/SO games has 1208 minutes played.  To this point, neither of my goalies have been pulled this year.  The goalie in question has started 20 games (1200 / 60 = 20), which means the extra 8 minutes are from OT.  Having gone to 3 OTs, the minutes don't add up.

From my previous posts, the OT times have stopped at 4:30, 0:00, 2:00.  Adding 30 seconds to each time gives a total of 8 minutes.  There is definitely something happening that is cutting the OT periods short (and it seems to be very random).

I don't care all that much about it, just thought I'd help toward the research here...

I hadn't even thought at looking at the goalie time sheet. Great idea to contrast time played vs. last recorded action in OT. I haven't had a lot of time to keep track of stats but am glad the research continues! Thanks Paul!

Posted September 06, 2017 - 03:35 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I hadn't even thought at looking at the goalie time sheet. Great idea to contrast time played vs. last recorded action in OT. I haven't had a lot of time to keep track of stats but am glad the research continues! Thanks Paul!

I actually stumbled upon that by accident when looking at my player's stats the other day, when it dawned on me that the 1208 minutes seemed odd since my goalies hadn't split any games this year.

The thing I've really been wanting to figure out is Shoot Out order.  So I decided to check out some other teams.  I stumbled upon an SHL game (Biscuit) between Kingston and Parkville.  I was shocked to see that the shootout winner was scored by a player that was not even in the lineup!  Check it out for yourselves if you have time.  The game was from a few days ago.  Brecka, who is assigned to the affiliate and didn't log a single minute of ice time, took the 2nd shot and is credited with the shootout winner.

...and this concludes my OT/SO research.

Posted March 27, 2019 - 02:48 PM

youthful porpoise

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: August 2016
Rep - Floater

Bumping an old thread.

This seems still to be an issue. I had a game today (https://gameplanhock...ame?gpid=6103-A) where the overtime seems to have been only 3 minutes long. My goalie was pulled 1:00 into the third period, so as the game went into a shootout the backup should have had 19+5=24 minutes of icetime. However he only had 22 minutes. Also there is no events in the game log after 3:00 in the overtime.

Another thing: shootout winning goals seem to count as goals against for the goalies. See the above game for an example. This has a effect on the goalies stats, but more importantly it might have an effect on the goalies confidence. Now my goalie had a sv% 83,3 and a game rating 51 and was "very unhappy with his performance in today's game which also weakened his confidence" even though he didn't let in a single goal during the regular time or overtime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users