AIBot

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: January 2016
Rep - Floater

I realize that it is only just over a third of the way through the season, but has anyone else noticed how the development of prospects for the draft seems to have been severely retarded? In previous seasons, it was not uncommon for players to grow ~10 overall in their draft year, yet none of the top 16 rated prospects have grown more than 1 overall. I wouldn't be too concerned with these, as most of them don't have too far to grow to be GHL ready, but this spurred me into looking at the junior leagues, particularly younger players not eligible for the draft this year (15 and 16 years old). The results are very similar. Of age 15 and 16 players in the USJHL, only 10 have grown more than 1 overall so far, (8 of which have grown 2, one 3, and one 4). I think this is a serious concern, as growing 1 overall at this point in the season translates to growing about 3 overall in the entire season. Not only that, but you have to remember that these are age 15 and 16 seasons, when players should be growing the most. Since there are 3 seasons between player generation and draft, we would expect players to grow between 0 and 9 overall between generation and draft at the current rate. Since players generally start in the 40s and 50s overall, I am afraid that this would mean that virtually no players drafted will ever be GHL ready (especially since their development slows after age 15/16), essentially rendering the draft worthless. Assuming a player is generated at 50 overall and 80 overall is GHL ready (which is a really generous estimate as to the starting point and a conservative estimate on being GHL ready), a player would need to be growing 10 overall per pre-draft season to be GHL ready their draft year (one fifteen year old in the entire USJHL, who started at 44 OVA, is on this development pace). I know players don't need to be GHL ready in their draft year, but I am still afraid that junior leagues will simply not produce any GHL caliber players, especially since development slows as players get older and their skills get harder to improve on.

I don't know if this change was purposeful or whether this is a bug, but I thought that attention should be brought to it either way.

Posted June 17, 2017 - 02:37 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Which prospects are you watching? It could just be that there's a bug that's preventing the game from showing player progress over a couple seasons. Another possibility is that recall that the player development was happening way too fast before but was recently slowed down. So it could be that you're expecting that fast development or else that some young players might have already hit the peak their development and won't make much more progress.

I've had a few of my own players progress and it seems to be happening at a similar pace to other worlds, so I don't think that there's anything to be concerned about.

Posted June 18, 2017 - 09:18 PM

AIBot

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: January 2016
Rep - Floater

Ok that makes sense if the overall development pace has been slowed down. I've had players improve as well, but the draft eligible prospects are not developing at nearly the rate they did in former seasons (I do agree, 10 overall or more in a season does seem kinda ridiculous for a 17 year old).

Posted June 19, 2017 - 11:58 AM

revivaL88

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: June 2017
Rep - Floater

Maybe it's just a way to make it harder to predict the gems and essentially it might be that a player that would be in your franchise and would get playing experience in a higher league then the youth league, as well as getting you a "medium" or "hard" training workload might then "rise" better.

I don't know if this might be the case, but I would really love it to be a feature because then it's also about in depth "scouting" and not just "no-brainer" picking since we know that he grew 10 last season and will grew into a 85+ player anyway.

You know what I mean? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users