• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: January 2016
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationCanada

Steam Profile

So I'm thinking that I may start to post the really ignorant and abusive offers I get from some of my fellow managers in the league.

If the CPU agreed to some of the offers instead of it being between to playing managers I think some would be SCREAMING rip off :) 

thoughts?

Posted May 15, 2017 - 07:55 PM

Big-Bobby Clobber

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • 6 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Reliable

When the horrible offers come from new managers: it's understandable that they might not get the formula right. 

But horrible offers, from experienced managers: feels like they're trying to fool someone.

Pro-tip: bear with me please, because I like silly analogies. 

Trading is like dating:  Ya gotta bring something to the table. 

If you spot a girl that interests you, and you just walk up to her hoping that she's gonna fall for your natural charms, well you might get a lot of rejection, when the ladies can't see all of your wonders in a blinding instant. 

Best to approach them, with something substantial to offer. 

Try to figure-out what they might want or need, then try to gently offer it to them, without appearing to be a d*bag. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted May 15, 2017 - 08:12 PM

IneffableLeafs

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: July 2016
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCanada
Dude, you're overreacting.

There should be a button at the bottom of the screen that says 'Reject'.

A classic human trait is to press large red buttons, so why not just click it?

Also, your title is a bit misleading. I thought some moron made a topic slamming your trade abuse, because the title reads, "trade offer abuse BY fang".

But yeah, you can take out your anger on a pillow. I think after King Tut, we don't want (at least as a general community I think we don't want) anyone else leaving the game because people are slamming them for bullshit trades.

Posted May 15, 2017 - 09:00 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • 12 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding

I think we might run into arguments over the trade offers, so I'd probably stick with simply rejecting the offers. I'm sure you don't get offers like these ALL the time anyways....

Also, agree with what IneffableLeafs said above, I also thought someone made a post trying to bash YOU for sending out weird trade offers  :P

Posted May 15, 2017 - 09:02 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Btw, have you tried talking to the GM about their logic? If they truly wanted to fool you, perhaps they'll stop once people start sending them PMs instead of using the forums(not all people use them...)? Or atleast they'll stop messing with you :D

Posted May 15, 2017 - 09:11 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I agree with Ineffable in that this post was misleading and was calling you out. I was gonna say keep it to a private convo as bad things always come from drama.

But yeah, some trade offers are just insulting, no I don't want your shitty expiring prospect and a huge salary dump with no players that are an actual improvement in exchange for my 1st pick once it's looking like I will be in a good spot for promotion. Are you just hoping that I misclick agree and that you get away from highway robbery? Stop it. (My SHL promotion run only got 3-4 offers like this, so I'm probably making the problem sound worse than it is in reality.)

I think the easiest option that might get people to realize the offers that they made were shitty is to add more rejection options rather than just hitting "this offer doesn't fill any needs"

Some suggestions that avoid sounding like an asshole might be:

- I don't think any of the offered players would improve my team.

- I'm not looking to move my picks right now.

- I'm not looking to trade players right now.

- Thanks for the offer but I'd rather look to improve my offense right now.

- Thanks for the offer but I'd rather look to improve my defense right now.

- Thanks for the offer but I'd rather look to improve my goaltending right now.

- Please come back with a more realistic offer.

edit: It would be a fairly minor change, but it would give a person more info on why all their trades are being rejected, as well as give the "trade rejector" an easy way to inform the other person with what they actually want.

Another suggestion could be to attach a "send message" button to the trade screen to facilitate faster and easier trade talks than the current methods.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted May 15, 2017 - 10:27 PM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationSri Lanka

BB Clobber, you are generally right, but some people view dating (or hooking up) as a numbers game.  Sure, I might strike out 9 out of 10 times, but if I run enough numbers, then by volume, my 10% gets me lots of, uhm, trades.  

For instance, sometimes I send a trade that I assume the other manager might not be truly interested in just to start a conversation.  Maybe they will be interested or maybe they will come back with a counter.  A lot of managers don't reply to Messages in the system and I get tired of waiting for someone to take a week to log back in to start the conversation.  Thus, I figure the trade request is more likely to get their attention and a reply, even if it is a flat out denial.  

That being said, I think the trading mechanism could be greatly improved if a text box was added that allowed managers to explain why they are offering the players that they are (or simply stating they are open to swaps of offers) and the rejecting or countering manager could explain why they are saying no or why they are countering.  The drop down option doesn't provide enough detail and often isn't truly a reason why I deny a trade.  Right now that requires TWO separate ways to communicate.  Combining it into one communication line would help with trades and maybe also explain why sometimes these "rip offs" might simply be someone trying to generate some action, so to speak.  

Posted May 16, 2017 - 06:11 AM

fangwall

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationCanada

Steam Profile

Yes, it's the dick pic analogy.  It's a low percentage play, but when it works you know where you're at :)   

I think a simple fix was a fourth option on the ol reject button of say....   "Smarten up, eh!"  

Again, that's why I prefer trading with the CPU although that's becoming very hard to do as the system seems to have tweaked up.  

Posted May 16, 2017 - 06:19 AM

fangwall

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationCanada

Steam Profile

Whoever Peter Parker is of the Birmwood Assassins, he is not a rookie.  It's purely a dump offer on his part and frankly anyone that would say yes to this type of offer would be hurting the game overall in my opinion.   

dump-trade.jpg

Posted May 16, 2017 - 07:08 AM

rikishiyayo

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: June 2016
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationBrno, Czech Republic

lol, starting a thread because someone tried to rip you off  :confused:

Nah, not successful, just n00b.

Looking for GHL level finnish players. If game happens to generate Laine, I call dibs on him.

Posted May 16, 2017 - 12:25 PM

Arukas

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: January 2017
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationUSA

Whenever I get sent a lopsided trade offer and I reject it, I'll usually send a follow-up PM (in a nice manner) to the other user explaining exactly why I rejected it, whether it be not wanting to give up that particular prospect or draft pick, not wanting to take on a higher salary, etc. Generally speaking the other person will be following the trade formula, but they may or may not be trying to abuse it, or they might think it's a fair trade. I guess I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but that's why I will PM them to try to get their thoughts on it, or maybe if it seems they want a particular player I'll try to make a counter offer.

I would say it turns into abuse when they keep sending similar trades over and over. Sometimes bad trades are just bad trades, but there's no need to get too worked up over it. If I send a follow-up PM, I most likely get one in return saying "Yeah I was just trying to dump salary" or "I was just wanting to shop this player around", and then it ends there. I would suggest maybe if it happens again to take time to send a PM explaining why the trade doesn't work for you, since there are new users that get cycled in and don't know the system too well yet. I think most users want to make fair trades and have a good GM rep.

Posted May 16, 2017 - 02:01 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

lol, starting a thread because someone tried to rip you off  :confused:

Yo, can you please not start drama in this thread, his concerns are valid even if they are usually rare.

Whenever I get sent a lopsided trade offer and I reject it, I'll usually send a follow-up PM (in a nice manner) to the other user explaining exactly why I rejected it, whether it be not wanting to give up that particular prospect or draft pick, not wanting to take on a higher salary, etc. Generally speaking the other person will be following the trade formula, but they may or may not be trying to abuse it, or they might think it's a fair trade. I guess I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but that's why I will PM them to try to get their thoughts on it, or maybe if it seems they want a particular player I'll try to make a counter offer.

I would say it turns into abuse when they keep sending similar trades over and over. Sometimes bad trades are just bad trades, but there's no need to get too worked up over it. If I send a follow-up PM, I most likely get one in return saying "Yeah I was just trying to dump salary" or "I was just wanting to shop this player around", and then it ends there. I would suggest maybe if it happens again to take time to send a PM explaining why the trade doesn't work for you, since there are new users that get cycled in and don't know the system too well yet. I think most users want to make fair trades and have a good GM rep.

I agree which is why I think there should be a faster way to quickly communicate and provide more information about trade needs and wants with a partner.

Posted May 16, 2017 - 04:46 PM

fangwall

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationCanada

Steam Profile

I think a fourth rejection option that highlights an abusive trade offer might be a valuable tool.   Anders?

Posted May 16, 2017 - 06:05 PM

rikishiyayo

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: June 2016
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationBrno, Czech Republic

Yo, can you please not start drama in this thread, his concerns are valid even if they are usually rare.

What drama ? The only scenario i can think of that can be called "abuse" is when u would be getting trade offers every day over and over again.That could be annoying. But who would be weird enough to do that ? And u could just ignore this trade offers once u learn someone is making fun of u. Or maybe ask Anders for help to ban this user.

But he got a single or series of similar trade offers(correct me if i'm wrong) which was supposedly "not fair" or "abusive". Reject this offer and move on. We're not even talking about AI trade abuse, but a trade offer between 2 human players. But the player who recieved that offer feels it wasnt fair so he has to start a thread ?? Ive gotten 3,4 offers which were not fair at all, maybe i should have started a thread every time. What do u suggest ? Ban every user that makes a trade offer that is "abusive" in other manager's eyes ? U recieved a trade offer, it is up to u to decide whether to accept it or reject it. End of story.

WTF, this is totally pointless thread(at least Big Bobby wrote a silly analogy, so it's not that pointless after all :D ).

Nah, not successful, just n00b.

Looking for GHL level finnish players. If game happens to generate Laine, I call dibs on him.

Posted May 20, 2017 - 08:53 PM

EXXEO

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
Seriously guys- again !?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users