Posted April 14, 2017 - 12:02 AM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 482 posts
  • 16 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Leave it to me to complain, but I noticed an anomaly.  Is Lumber Season 21's draft class TOO good?

Case in point, the 50th rank player at the mid-term ranked has an 84 overall!

http://www.gameplanh...ayer?gpid=28052

Three of the top 6 players have a 90 overall or better!

http://www.gameplanh...ayer?gpid=28120

http://www.gameplanh...ayer?gpid=28080

http://www.gameplanh...ayer?gpid=28092

And the 20th ranked player is also in the 90's overall with 91!

http://www.gameplanh...ayer?gpid=27963

There has never been a draft class rated this highly, which begs the question, is this purely coincidence or is there an underlying bug?

Manager of:

Dunkirk Sea Hawks | GHL | Lumber
Prairie City Steers | SHL | Clapper
Otego Arrowheads | GHL | Dangles
Bushong Hill Giants | GHL | UAT Mitts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 05:57 AM

HurjaHerra

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Reliable

I have a feeling that it's like the GHL has something like 30 Crosbys in 16 teams now in Lumber, since imo. Biscuits draft pools keep getting better and better every year we go by. As does the players ovr in GHL. Lumber's just few seasons ahead.

I think talent is too abundant(?) in this game, not sure if it's a bug or not, but I'd like to see it tuned down.

Posted April 14, 2017 - 11:51 AM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • 12 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding

I think the development update that came into play a few seasons ago is working its wonders. I agree, it might need to be dialed back a bit. Lumber's faster, so we're just seeing the effects much quicker.

Posted April 14, 2017 - 12:00 PM

EXXEO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding
I'd say that the clapper draft looks to be pretty sick too! I saw an 85 OVR Goalie as soon as the initial prospect rankings came outt...and he has a whole season to develo still. Getting a near 90 goalie who's 18 in the draft is a touch crazy...just hope I suck enough to get that pick!

PCK

Posted April 14, 2017 - 03:10 PM

PCK

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: December 2016
Rep - Floater
  • LocationVancouver

This draft class is too good. Imo, it should be tuned down a lot. 

Posted April 14, 2017 - 07:41 PM

bhandsome08

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: February 2017
Rep - Helpful
Wish there was a way to not have so much 90+ players on teams. Seriously 16 players on one team with those kinda overalls

Posted April 14, 2017 - 09:53 PM

Wick Schozen

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Definitely should revisit the how the quality distribution is for players across all worlds. It should be so that majority of the players are 60 to 75-80 Ovr and then as we get to the top it should continue to thin. Like in real life, think about how many pro leagues there are in real life, USA has two semi pro leagues below the ECHL. Some European leagues have up to 6 tiers. There aren't many players that can play in the NHL, let alone be considered elite. With some GHL teams have 16 90ovr players I think there should be like 20-25 max in a game world.  Think like a pyramid with the most talented players at the top.

Posted April 23, 2017 - 02:03 AM

phoenixtf

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: March 2016
Rep - Helpful

I agree that the prospects are way too good. I drafted an 83ovr player with the 46th pick (14th in the SHL 1st round) who was rated 45th overall. At the very most I should be getting a 70-75ovr player with that pick.

JoP

Posted April 23, 2017 - 03:31 AM

JoP

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Also think it should be tuned down some few steps. I see two problems if the upcoming draftclasses is gonna be this good. One shortterm and one longterm:

Shortterm we can look at people who in the last, say 3-4 seasons, had:
- a bad team but some early draftpicks that should have helped them gain some momentum

- Or has tried to rebuild, or develop prospects to build a team, either to get a better team in the long run, or just for the fun of it! (Many likes that way of play in managergames in my experience from a few, pc and online)

These one gets kind of "screwed" as in 1-2 draftclasses people can get 3-4 really GREAT players, and another 3-4 that within a season or so will be just as good as those that developed like 3-4 seasons. So looking shortterm it sort of makes things UNDONE for those that really had a plan for the long term for managing and building their squad.

I´ll definitely survive, so I ain´t complaining, but just to give an example. I have Jeremy Maxwell. He´s a D, a top draftpick at number 8 with nice mentals. I needed to rebuild an old D-core and it was hard to find solid D-men at the time. I did pay up to get him, but I thought it was worth it at the time:

• Season 18, GHL, Traded from Oshawa Cougars to New Haven Whales for Libor Jágercík and Alessandro Luby plus a GHL level 1st round pick and a GHL level 2nd round pick.

Should say Libor was a good solid midage forward, 2nd to 3rd line, with great mentals and still having a great development that should make him a top 6 forward. Is around 90 OA today in the game. Luby, nah...just a tradepiece but still with some potential. But then a 1st and a 2nd pick as well. It did cost me a bit but felt like an ok deal. I got my D ;)

Maxwell was 81-82 OA at the time I think. Today AFTER 4 FULL SEASONS of development, and a nice such, he just ticked over to a 91 OA! Wooohoo...feels great!! :)

Well, if it wasn´t for the fact that I can go down to 9th place in the lumber draft today and find a 17 yo with +90 OA already, and to the 2nd round and find players +85 OA......

Lets just say that if I (instead of being a top GHL-team) was a strong SHL team trying to catch up, and have played it the way that you built and set yout hopes on some promising youths during the last seasons. Did a few trades the way I did. A somewhat normal, and 
a common approach, in many IRL-leagues anf in managergames if u wanna develop your team longterm. Well, let´s just say I would feel kind of frustraded right now seeing my strong 21-23 yo prospects I developed turned in to average youngsters in 2 draftclasses   :( 

Now, this is my take, my way to look at this, and I may think about it the wrong way. Also this is the shortterm-problem and the game is still in beta, so I´m fine with it. Just a little doubtful this will work out the way intended.

Longterm I agree with what many already has said here. The game already have an abundance of toptalent, top quality and also a bunch of, what should be, real superstars. This will just add to that, and sure ...it may be fine because it may even things out and make it easier for promoted teams in the long run to take the step up and make it at a higher level, in a tougher league. Still, the topteams will get even better talents, and soon the GHL will be a league of +92 OA-players, all 4 lines. Sure, tactics will matter more then maybe. But still, no superstars because their is +5 players with +96 oa in each ghl-team, no big diff between 3rd and 1st lines and so on....Not sure that is what we want?

Still to me, I´m more thinking about how the abundance of talent kind of takes a bit of the fun out of the excitement of building your team, of finding, or drafting, and developing a few great prospects. It wasn´t that hard before. Now it´s a bit like throwing dart agains a barnwall and the bulls eye is those two big red Barndoors.  :huh: 

Posted April 23, 2017 - 11:56 AM

MNLK

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: March 2017
Rep - Floater
  • LocationCanada

I got a 74 with the 94th pick! That's crazy! No complaints though, satisfied with that.

Posted April 23, 2017 - 02:39 PM

GamePlanHockey

Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1424 posts
  • 150 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

I think the development update that came into play a few seasons ago is working its wonders. I agree, it might need to be dialed back a bit. Lumber's faster, so we're just seeing the effects much quicker.

Yes that is exactly the case. The last development update was a little too much and has been tuned down in the upcoming release. I was aiming for making something like the top 5 prospects ready for GHL level at the age of 18. Not top 50. :/

Can't do much about the current prospects I'm afraid.

Posted April 24, 2017 - 06:38 PM

IneffableLeafs

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: July 2016
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCanada

Can't do much about the current prospects I'm afraid.

I'm sure everyone will like that dose of 2003 in a few seasons time:

M7DCFo1.png

Posted April 25, 2017 - 01:59 AM

HurjaHerra

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Reliable

Well, damn!

psstt.. McArthur :P

Posted April 25, 2017 - 06:20 AM

IneffableLeafs

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: July 2016
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCanada
Yeah I noticed that too

Posted May 10, 2017 - 09:23 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 482 posts
  • 16 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Season 22's draft class in Lumber is also wicked good!

18th ranked player is 90 overall!

http://www.gameplanh...ayer?gpid=28716

51st ranked player...86 overall!

http://www.gameplanh...ayer?gpid=28916

This is going to be another fun draft! :)

Manager of:

Dunkirk Sea Hawks | GHL | Lumber
Prairie City Steers | SHL | Clapper
Otego Arrowheads | GHL | Dangles
Bushong Hill Giants | GHL | UAT Mitts

Posted May 11, 2017 - 07:28 PM

MNLK

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • 1 thanks