Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

edit* Season 8, my finger slipped....

We seem to have the least active forum page so I thought that I might start something.

It seems we have a really close competition for the top of the Silver hockey league. After 10 games, the top 5 teams are all within 2 points of one another and a couple other teams are 1 win away from being in the same position. After 50 more games, who do you guys think will finish top 2, who do you guys think will have a big streak of bad luck and fall behind?

Posted March 19, 2017 - 01:25 PM

IneffableLeafs

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: July 2016
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCanada

If my goalies can't start playing goalie, I'm probably going to fall. We're on pace for an absurd 230 goals, but our defense ranks 10th or lower I think, all thanks to stellar goal tending.

My last game was a 6-4 win, and the other team had 12 shots. My goalie finished with a solid .667 save percentage. My goalies sit at .863 and .886 save percentages.  :confused:  :confused:

Not to mention I'm sitting in an all too familiar 3rd place  :( , and all of my defenders have a performance rating of 75 or higher. Having 8 point-per-game players is also helping my cause.

If I don't get promotion this season though, I'm going to have to rebuild my core, which wants bucket loads of money.

Lumberjacks, your team is going to finish in a good position regardless thanks to the superb negotiating skills to bring Tal Lowe in for $37,000  :lol: ,

and the maxed out winner instinct and teamwork.

Posted March 19, 2017 - 02:03 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Yes... My negotiation skill...  I'm glad that glitch is fixed (I think) and Tal Lowe is only playing on my 4th line because it's where he fits best. Although, getting to keep him is a major plus for me. 

Everything else about this season has been a pleasant surprise for me. At the start of the season, I thought that our goalie situations would actually be switched around and that I would have struggling goaltending and that you would have an amazing tandem. I thought this would just be a development season for Konchesky. 

I think you will finish top 2 for sure, especially because you have 1.5mil of cap space which could be used on another stud goaltender that hopefully actually performs. My guess is that without any major injuries the end of the season will look like:

1. Montemorency Vortex

2. Pinewood Lumberjacks

3. Merrick Thunder

4. Portland Cyclones

5. Yonker Vixens

Although, I bet at least 1 of us will fall.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted March 19, 2017 - 02:10 PM

Haradrim

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: January 2016
Rep - Helpful

Both of your teams look good for promotion. 

Lumberjacks, you do have to offload some players and maybe replace them with another 1-2 good players.

As for you, IneffableLeafs, you should get a winning streak at some point. I am more worried about your next season finances, even if you get promoted. Those Promotion Contracts will eat a lot into your budget and for the GHL you will need to improve the squad. 

I also sympathize with your goalie problem. I have it in the GHL, too.

Good luck to both of you!

Posted March 21, 2017 - 02:03 PM

MNLK

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: March 2017
Rep - Floater
  • LocationCanada

I think my team will be a candidate for promotion.

We can't get out of our damn slump though.

Anyone have any ideas for how I can improve my team?

Posted March 21, 2017 - 02:50 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

You've got a pretty good team that can even withstand a bunch of injuries, so I think you will get a promotion whether through placing top 2 or winning a playoff series. You've only had 1 3 game losing streak, which in my opinion is common even for top teams, and have since won your last game. My only recommendations would be to swap out Ostlund to a guy with better leadership in order to get your team's teamwork to harmony and to make sure you rotate your goalies when they are tired so that they perform better.

edit: Teamwork might also improve if you make Purcell the captain over Luby and it should also aid in not underestimating your opponents during a game.

Posted April 09, 2017 - 10:36 AM

IneffableLeafs

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCanada
Ok guys, 30 games gone, and here's a look at what's happened:

In the GHL:

Larson leads the pack, as expected (by me at least)

Sellwood surprisingly is in 12th with the league's 2nd best offense.

There is a 10 point gap between 2nd (Hawkeye) and 8th (Cuba City).

After winning the cup last year, the Pirates find themselves in third.

Newly promoted CPU South Township has only managed 9 points through 30 games, and are a sure fire relegation candidate.

Cedar Rapids have rebounded after a disastrous finish last season and sit in 5th.

As for players, Larson leads the way with the top 3 scorers in the league. Leading the way is sniper Hubert Ferster, who has 25 goals and 40 points in 30 games.

SHL:

My team Montmorency Vortex sits in 1st, comfortably. We lead 2nd place Rocky Mountain House by 12 points.

Merrick, who have an excellent defense, Pinewood, and Portland, who sit 3rd-5th, are separated by 2 points.

6th place Tahsis sees a dropoff in points with 10 less than Portland, at 49, with a few teams close behind.

The relegation battle includes 4 teams. Mississauga, sitting with 14 points in last, needs a miracle, as they are 10 points behind 15th placed Ellisville. The difference between 12th and 13th is 10 points.

As for players, I have 5 of the top 25 scorers, with Pavlecka leading the way with 17 goals and 38 points in 30 games.

BHL:

Pierrefonds Predators have an astonishing 16 point lead in 1st place, and look like a sure fire promoted team, barring a major collapse.

As for the relegation battle, the 2 relegated teams are set in stone, with 21 and 11 points respectively. 15 place is 15 points behind 14th.

Louis-Vincent Banning, on the 6th place Alligators, leads the league in scoring with 18 goals and 44 points in 30 games.

IHL:

The title race at the top is fierce, with 1 point separating 1st and 2nd.

Palm Beach Shores have collected 0 points through 30 games, and are probably in the IHL. They need 35 points to get out the the relegation zone.

On 12th place Yucca, Maximus Angus can be found leading the league in scoring with 41 points in 30 games.

LIHL:

No highlights found.

Draft Status:

Looking good, Ulysses Stalker (lol that name) ranks 1st, with 47 goals in 21 games, along with 8 assists.

84 rated Swedish defender Ake Broman also is point per game, looking like an excellent pick.

87 rated Cornelius Chao ranks 7th somehow, but only has a .908 save percentage in the USJHL.

Overall roundup:

There hasn't been much trade activity this season, one GHL team has 3 first round picks.

No player has been extremely dominant in their league unless you include the junior leagues.

In almost every league, the promoted/relegated and GHL playoff teams are more or less set in stone.

Good luck in the second half all!

Posted April 09, 2017 - 01:29 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Man, injuries are starting to hit me hard, I might fall out competition for spot #2 if I don't start getting better luck. Although, I don't think that I will be thrown out of playoffs.

Posted April 10, 2017 - 01:13 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Injuries strike again causing me to now be out my top 3 players and more! I'm glad I grabbed so many back-up players this season because I am needing them all. Hopefully, after today my bad injury luck will turn around and I will be able to ice the team that I want.

Posted April 17, 2017 - 01:02 AM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

My injuries are finally starting to clear up, only my top goal scorer is out and for only one more game. It's been a tough couple weeks but I have survived, am still in the playoffs and only 9 points away from 2nd place. If I don't claim the 2nd promotion spot, I am sure that I can take any of the GHL teams near the relegation playoff spot excluding the Sellwood Spirits. However, it is the second half of the season and I am considering selling off a few players so that I may have a stronger push next season. I already made a couple offers to sell some of my players but I am likely to take them down if I can see that my team starts getting back on track.

Posted April 24, 2017 - 04:26 PM

RolandLarocque

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Floater
Anyone trying to make a push? I have Brunel available.

Posted April 27, 2017 - 11:15 AM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

This race for 2nd is tight and stressful :). You must be glad that you're comfortably ahead ineffable. 

Posted April 27, 2017 - 05:54 PM

IneffableLeafs

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCanada
I'm most definitely glad.

My expectations for this season were to win the league title.

Anything less I would consider a failure.

Honestly, my team has been so stacked this season, and the final push I needed for the title were the emergences of 21 year olds Remi Flett and Franc Zbogar, who have performed very well this season, making up the 20 goals that I lost by letting sniper Elliot Sly walk last season.

Zbogar went up to an 85 rating, surprising me, while Rob Tavares, rated 86, leads the way from the back.

I have the building blocks for a future GHL playoff team, and this season for me has been a success.

I highly doubt I will lose my position, 20 points ahead of 3rd with just 11 games to go.

No team behind Romaine Raptors can clinch automatic promotion at this point, and in a few days real time, the battle for 2nd should heat up.

@Roland

Why would you want to sell Brunel? Your team is in a position to take 2nd, only 1 point behind lumberjacks, and there are still 11 games to go.

Posted May 01, 2017 - 08:11 PM

IneffableLeafs

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCanada
Late Season Update:

With yesterday's win, Montmorency not only clinched auto promotion, but clinched the league title as well, as Tahsis, Romaine, and Yonker were all knocked out of contention for the top 2.

An absurd 5 point gap between Merrick and Portland, who sit 2nd and 5th, can still see any of the four teams take that 2nd auto promotion spot. The teams are pretty evenly matched up. The most entertaining part is that all the teams have different specialities.

Merrick thrives with a stout defensive core.

Pinewood has great quality players and depth.

Rocky Mountain House is an offensive juggernaut.

Portland is a team full of hungry youth.

With 7 games to go, who will round out the top 2?

Posted May 01, 2017 - 09:40 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

I'm excited to see if Merrick can keep their spot, or lose it. They've got the hardest end to their season and have to play each of the other top 5 teams once more each while everyone else in the top 5 only has to play Merrick once more as their real challenge in the final leg of the season. That's not meant as a shot to any other team in the league, but, there is a little bit of an evident drop-off after us.

It's also interesting because asides from Montmorency and unless Merrick loses more than 2 games to us combined, Merrick will essentially be eliminating teams as they currently have both a 2 point lead on 3rd and a decent goal differential lead on all of us.

I think it will come down to the last game of the season between the Lumberjacks and the Thunder before everything is set in stone for 2nd place.

Posted May 03, 2017 - 11:38 AM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Wow! Was not expecting Merrick to lose the first two games, they're now really looking from the outside in. Unfortunately for me, I'm starting to pick up injuries again, however acquiring Greenwood might've saved me considering the most recent position lost.  At this point in the season now, it's looking like other teams hopes my Lumberjacks rack up at least two losses in the last 5 games otherwise I clinch 2nd place The other possibility is I get 1 loss and Portland gets a few massive wins to make up the 27 goal differential advantage I have on him, but that seems unlikely.

Playoffs look extremely hard for teams who end up looking for a promotion through them. Of teams in the SHL, I think Vortex is the only squad with a chance, but they've already clinched #1. For us other teams, it's really just throwing the dice and crossing our fingers.

Posted May 05, 2017 - 07:50 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Well, all matches have gone insanely in my favor so far that I only need one more win to clinch 2nd. 

Posted May 16, 2017 - 07:42 PM

IneffableLeafs

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCanada
Oh my goodness.

GHL Batchawana Battlin Bears were just knocked out in two games by the SHL Merrick Thunder, giving the 3rd place Thunder the first overall pick, originally won by Batchawana.

Narrowly losing to Merrick 2-1 in OT in their own building, they were slapped on the road 5-1, with a statement win.

In other news, league title winners Larson were knocked out in round 1 by the Cedar Rapids Panthers, who had had a fantastic bounce back season, and they are currently tied 1-1 with the rapidly rising Hawkeye Revolution in the second round of the GHL playoffs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users