Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • 12 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Hiya guys,

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested...didn't really check through the threads.

Would it be possible to have a new World created that runs on the "North-American" type of Leagues? So, a World without the promotions/relegations, like the NHL? Not sure how much work would be required to make this happen, but it'd be pretty cool to start simultaneously with the affiliate teams update(NHL/AHL).

1 League -> 2 Conferences -> 4 divisions -> 30(or more) teams total?

You could even forget the whole Conference/Division thing at the beginning tbh...

What do you guys think?

I think it'd garner quite a bit of interest from the current GMs and any new guys coming in....I suppose one problem would be the World filling up quicker due to less teams?

Posted February 16, 2017 - 11:42 AM

bhandsome08

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: February 2017
Rep - Helpful

Hiya guys,

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested...didn't really check through the threads.

Would it be possible to have a new World created that runs on the "North-American" type of Leagues? So, a World without the promotions/relegations, like the NHL? Not sure how much work would be required to make this happen, but it'd be pretty cool to start simultaneously with the affiliate teams update(NHL/AHL).

1 League -> 2 Conferences -> 4 divisions -> 30(or more) teams total?

You could even forget the whole Conference/Division thing at the beginning tbh...

What do you guys think?

I think it'd garner quite a bit of interest from the current GMs and any new guys coming in....I suppose one problem would be the World filling up quicker due to less teams?

Great idea.

I would do 32 teams though split into 4 divisions, within 2 conferences.

28 division games + 16 Conference games + 16 Inter-conference games = 60 games. 

And shuffle the teams in each division and conference so we're not playing the same teams over and over after every season. ei. put high ranking teams into one division/ conference and lower ranked teams into another division/ conference. Maybe it would create balance 

Edited by bhandsome08, May 30, 2017 - 01:14 PM.

Posted February 16, 2017 - 12:38 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
Mhmm. This would be great in terms of creating long-term rivalries and keeping GMs active, I would think. A more "random" schedule would be cool too, so it's not the same sequence of games just repeating themselves...some home-and-home series, etc.

Posted February 16, 2017 - 07:43 PM

IneffableLeafs

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: July 2016
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCanada
Draft picks will become more useful!!!

Everyone's on an even playing field!!!

I definitely support this, it would for sure be enjoyable. I think I may have suggested this myself before or supported it. Either way, it has been talked about by Anders and it would be great to see it implemented.

But I don't think divisions should be shuffled every season.

Divisions would probably be based on the city you choose.

Ex. If you choose Mississauga as your city you'll likely be in the Eastern Conference.

Divisions however could be slightly shuffled every few seasons, and everytime a new manager comes in and changes the city it could shift the conferences and divisions around.

Posted February 16, 2017 - 09:40 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Yeah, I'd keep the divisions constant. Maybe a shuffling every few seasons will help shake things up though.

Posted February 16, 2017 - 10:05 PM

MattBerserkers

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I probably wouldn't sign up as I like the promotion system and don't have an infinite amount of time. My conference suggestion is that maybe have the two worst teams in each division gets reshuffled in their divisions. I don't think basing the divisions around actual locations would work considering how often teams are moved around.

Posted February 17, 2017 - 10:15 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • 24 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

A game world like this is going to be about 1/3rd the size population wise compared to what we currently have. I don't know what the cost side would be but I think it is safe to assume smaller population per world isn't good per se. That said I think this format is a great format for testing. Pluses and minuses aside this was in the long term ideas that Anders had some time ago. I would love to see it happen.

Posted March 06, 2017 - 07:43 AM

Fertilizerboy

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: December 2016
Rep - Floater
I say that this is a great idea because most of the other leagues are almost with 1 or 2 teams left to choose from so this would support my created forums on the fact that we need a new league

Posted April 25, 2017 - 08:38 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

@Anders, any opinion/decision regarding this possibility?

Posted May 29, 2017 - 07:06 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Bump?

Posted May 30, 2017 - 03:44 AM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationUnited States

Like rainsilent stated above, Anders has always wanted to do this, but it has likely slipped in his list of priorities.  

Personally, I would prefer this to the current format and would probably leave my current world based on all the reasons above.  

Posted April 26, 2018 - 01:50 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

When I initially read this post almost a year ago I had no interest in a NA style world.  Now after having played the multi-league worlds with promotion relegation, I would actually prefer the NA style.  I dig the promotion/relegation aspect of the current worlds, but as Ineffable states above, the N/A style world would put everyone on a much more even playing field, there would be less inter-league trading (which some people are sour about) and there would be more emphasis on the draft and free agency (the way it should be).  It would also get rid of the hoarding complaints in terms of lower league teams being upset at upper league teams.  The more I think of it, I really like the idea of the NA style.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted April 26, 2018 - 06:19 PM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Outstanding

How would a NA-style world work? The teams would be more limited I imagine, unless you decide to go with 64 teams have have a 32-team playoff. That would be pretty sweet.

Posted April 26, 2018 - 08:08 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

How would a NA-style world work? The teams would be more limited I imagine, unless you decide to go with 64 teams have have a 32-team playoff. That would be pretty sweet.

I suppose the only downside to the NA style world would be the playoffs... especially for teams that didn't make it.  If you have 32 teams with 16 making the playoffs, that's 4 rounds of playoffs x 3 games each series = almost two weeks of nothing for the other managers.  And there's been talk about expanding the playoffs to a best of 5, which would mean almost 3 weeks of doing nothing but waiting.  Right now waiting 9 days can be painful. 

Or I guess the NA world could be Normal speed (2 games/day) to cut down on the waiting.  OR keep it a Slow world and have 2 games/day for the playoffs only... would that even be possible?

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted April 26, 2018 - 08:25 PM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

I suppose the only downside to the NA style world would be the playoffs... especially for teams that didn't make it.  If you have 32 teams with 16 making the playoffs, that's 4 rounds of playoffs x 3 games each series = almost two weeks of nothing for the other managers.  And there's been talk about expanding the playoffs to a best of 5, which would mean almost 3 weeks of doing nothing but waiting.  Right now waiting 9 days can be painful. 

Or I guess the NA world could be Normal speed (2 games/day) to cut down on the waiting.  OR keep it a Slow world and have 2 games/day for the playoffs only... would that even be possible?

You could always have consolation tournaments for teams that didn't make the playoffs for a secondary-level trophy to keep people engaged (the Gold Cup could be the main trophy, and the silver shield could be the secodnary trophy)....or something like that. Not a conventional idea when you think of NA-style hockey...but it might be a good way to keep people interested....either that or introduce NA-style game worlds when national teams are ready. 

Posted April 27, 2018 - 12:26 AM

MattBerserkers

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

That would make it incredibly hard to play games against every team and develop no rivalries. Maybe if there were divisions within conferences within the league it (I guess like the NHL). Like you'd be guaranteed more a bunch of games against division opponents, fewer against conference opponents and any remaining games would be filled by a random assortment of teams in the other conference. And to divide the conferences, similar to the current leagues format, you pick your conference/division and then you takeover a team.

Posted April 27, 2018 - 12:43 AM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • 3 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationUnited States

I am 100% in support of NA style world.  I love Biscuit, but I feel the bad data from a few drafts, the extremely high level of players at the GHL level, and not quite rectifying the affiliate "hoarding" system have done more harm than good and at the slow speed will take too long to rectify.  

However, I do love this game so I think a reset is all that is needed and I prefer the NA style of leagues to the Euro up and down style. 

As for the break for playoffs, I kind of like the breaks.  It gives me a chance to look at my team, scout, think about long term contracts, etc.  I'm not against a consolation playoff, but having a week or two off isn't make or break for me.

Posted April 27, 2018 - 12:45 AM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • 3 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationUnited States

That would make it incredibly hard to play games against every team and develop no rivalries. Maybe if there were divisions within conferences within the league it (I guess like the NHL). Like you'd be guaranteed more a bunch of games against division opponents, fewer against conference opponents and any remaining games would be filled by a random assortment of teams in the other conference. And to divide the conferences, similar to the current leagues format, you pick your conference/division and then you takeover a team.

Agreed.  I think you have to keep it at max of 32 teams.  Even then, you are either going to have to play 62 games (twice each), but I prefer the idea of playing certain teams more.  If there is too much demand for 32 teams, a 2nd NA would could be created.

Posted April 27, 2018 - 02:10 AM

Wick Schozen

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Outstanding

As I've stated before I love the idea of a NA style world. If you think about it, a lot of the issues people have with this game are because they are North American style league fundamentals that are being forced to be implemented into a euro style format. In Euro leagues there aren't really trades and there is no draft at all. Which is why there is some friction in our current format. I believe an NA style world is going to be an absolute revelation for this game because there won't be any of those cross over clashes from NA fundamentals in a Euro format. 

Posted April 27, 2018 - 04:50 AM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Agreed.  I think you have to keep it at max of 32 teams.  Even then, you are either going to have to play 62 games (twice each), but I prefer the idea of playing certain teams more.  If there is too much demand for 32 teams, a 2nd NA would could be created.

Unless there are plans to create more than one, I don't think 32 teams will be enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users