bhandsome08

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: February 2017
Rep - Helpful

What is the basic make up if the different types of lines? Also how do I choose dmen with 4 lines of forwards and 3 lines of def?

Forward lines:
·Scoring= passing & shooting stats.
·Two way= passing, shooting & defense stats.
·Checking= defense & physical stats.
·Energy= physical & spirit stats

Defense lines:
·Support offense= passing & shooting stats
·Stay at home= defense, physical & spirit stats
·Matchline= I would assume your defencemen would have good all around stats.
·dynamic= defense, passing and shooting stats.

That's basically how I choose. Not sure about "matchline" though.

And what do you mean by "how do I choose dmen with 4 lines of forwards and 3 lines of def?"

Posted June 21, 2017 - 08:59 PM

IneffableLeafs

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: July 2016
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCanada
I'm pretty sure someone else posted (don't quote me on this) that MatchLine essentially sets your defensive assignment to that of the corresponding forward line.

For example, if your second forward line is set to "two way", and your second defense pair is "MatchLine" then your defense will be "two way"

Posted June 22, 2017 - 07:23 AM

MWiles

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: June 2017
Rep - Floater

thank you both for your responses, that helps me alot

I was wondering how having 2 Offensive dmen would help out the 4th line , or 2 stay home dmen would help the 1st, thins like that.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger bat

It's not paranoia if they are really out to get you!

Posted January 26, 2018 - 02:10 PM

funkydave

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Floater

very good info

I am having a problem when i place a forward or centre on a line but i want remove off the line, or scratch him how do i do that? I have tried different ways but when i try to save the line up it comes up i can on;ly assign 18 player plus 2 goalies and i went all last season like that

anyone??

Posted January 26, 2018 - 02:32 PM

littleb

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: September 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationMinnedosa

Instead of scratching them you remove them from the lines with someone else.  So go into your lines select him and replace him with who you want there.

Posted January 26, 2018 - 03:13 PM

ColoKrabatt

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Reliable
Your issue will brobably depend on PP or PK settings. I mean that guy You were mentioning is for sure at power play or penalty killing line.
Try to check this out...

ATTACK |GHL| KINGSTON KINGSMEN

Posted April 28, 2019 - 02:02 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • 24 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Oh hey, look! I updated section 4 with a little tidbit after years of neglect. Specifically about lineup creation.

Posted May 01, 2019 - 10:18 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • 24 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

If I can get around to it today I will post my lineup as an example as the final player I was waiting on finally accepted the contract offer. If not today it will be edited in by the end of the week. Beyond that is adding defensive tactics and likely special teams as well. After that, I don't know as I don't know what any of you would like to know so please post with questions and or ideas on what you would like to see added.

Posted May 01, 2019 - 01:03 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • 6 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

P1 | P2

Spd  85 | 75

Pas  75 | 85

Pct   85 | 85

Sht   75 | 85

Def   75 | 75

Phy  85 | 75

Spi   75 | 75

End  85 | 75

Fof   85 | 85

P1 is nothing more than a 4th line SHL or GHL checker or a poor choice for a BHL offensive forward whereas P2 is a player, depending upon the talent of the league, that can potentially play a 2nd or 3rd line offensive role in the GHL.

Rain - do you feel the same way if a manager uses tactics that specifically call for Speed and Physicality?  I'm sitting here thinking, give me Player 1!  Haha.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted May 01, 2019 - 06:38 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • 24 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Yes. Player 1 will never be the better performing player outside of a depth role even in that case. He can't provide the same offense and he doesn't provide a defensive advantage either.

Posted May 03, 2019 - 12:19 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Yes. Player 1 will never be the better performing player outside of a depth role even in that case. He can't provide the same offense and he doesn't provide a defensive advantage either.

I trust your opinion on this.  The only thing I'll say is if this is true, then the Explain Tactics section is slightly deceiving.

Posted May 03, 2019 - 02:07 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • 24 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Updated with my IHL offensive lines as an example. Please don't mind that I had to borrow the computer as shown by the tabs.

Posted May 03, 2019 - 02:27 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • 24 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

I trust your opinion on this.  The only thing I'll say is if this is true, then the Explain Tactics section is slightly deceiving.

In my guide or in the game?

Either way, don't take more emphasis on physical skills or speed in tactics to mean that it suddenly trumps skill in importance in where to put players in your lineup. At the end of the day, the actual skills (pass, puck, shot and def for skaters) of the players will eventually trump everything but a better combination of skill and tactics. It makes absolutely no sense to play a physical specimen of a player on the top line over a slower and less physical but more offensively skilled guy. For example, think Martin St. Louis vs Colton Gillies. Ok, that is a more extreme example I grant but hopefully, you get my point. Maybe a more reasonable example would be Ray Whitney vs Chuck Kobasew. This is the most common mistake I see in lineups. Managers not putting better offensively skilled players higher up in their lineup because they are either lower overall or don't fit their desired tactics. If the player doesn't fit your tactics trade them for someone who does with similar skill rather than subbing them in a skilled role with someone that has less skill. Again it makes no sense to do that.

Side note about Ray Whitney that made me laugh. I was watching a game with him and the color analyst said that when most players get older they slow down and that causes them to be less effective. However, Ray Whitney was able to remain effective as he got older because that never was an issue. As the color analyst said, "You can not lose the speed you never had."

Posted May 03, 2019 - 04:01 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

In my guide or in the game?

Either way, don't take more emphasis on physical skills or speed in tactics to mean that it suddenly trumps skill in importance in where to put players in your lineup. At the end of the day, the actual skills (pass, puck, shot and def for skaters) of the players will eventually trump everything but a better combination of skill and tactics. It makes absolutely no sense to play a physical specimen of a player on the top line over a slower and less physical but more offensively skilled guy. For example, think Martin St. Louis vs Colton Gillies. Ok, that is a more extreme example I grant but hopefully, you get my point. Maybe a more reasonable example would be Ray Whitney vs Chuck Kobasew. This is the most common mistake I see in lineups. Managers not putting better offensively skilled players higher up in their lineup because they are either lower overall or don't fit their desired tactics. If the player doesn't fit your tactics trade them for someone who does with similar skill rather than subbing them in a skilled role with someone that has less skill. Again it makes no sense to do that.

In the game.  What you are saying makes a lot of sense.  I was just putting a bit of stock into what the game said as well. 

For example:

Dump and Chase

"An offensive strategy in which a team shoots (or "dumps") the puck into the attacking zone and aggressively pursues it in hopes of retrieving possession and setting up a scoring chance. Most effective for teams with enough speed and size to force opposing defensemen off the puck."

"Pros:  Good for teams with limited puck skills and effective against very defensive teams with a passive approach"

"Player characteristics: Speedy and gritty players that can work hard"

Spread

"In the spread, once the opponent takes the puck behind his net, a forechecking winger moves from the right to flush him out. The other winger then moves from the opposite side and forces the enemy skater to get rid of the puck.

"Player characteristics:  Speedy and physical players"

This would seem to insinuate that a player with higher Skating and Physical attributes would in fact have a defensive advantage.  Not to say that they are more important than the "Defense" rating, but if Defense is the same.

Hence my attraction to fast and physical players.

Posted May 03, 2019 - 04:52 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • 24 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

So you are taking what the game is saying and taking it further than what it is meaning. Also, less puck skills don't equate to less passing and shooting per what it says in dump and chase.

Also yes faster and more physical players have a natural advantage. Same goes for taller players. However, if everything were about speed, physicality and height alone the NHL would be another NBA like league with everyone as tall and fast as possible. Also the Leafs and Lightning wouldn't have made the playoffs because they significantly lack in at least one of those 3 areas. Ultimately if you don't have the appropriate skills to go along with the skating, physicality or height then those skills themselves don't matter either.

For dump and chase you want to focus on speed, physicality and spirit more than puck skills however passing and shooting skills are still relevant. Hence why, between the two players in the prior example, player 2 is still better than player 1 higher up in the lineup. While player 1 has the speed and physicality their actual skills of passing and scoring are so low that they aren't actually then good enough to really generate or take advantage of scoring chances.

In regards to the spread tactic, it is asking the players to be very aggressive in their positioning and attack the puck carrier. Thus speed to catch the puck carrier and physicality to potentially force them off of the puck are important. That doesn't, however, necessarily mean that more speed and physicality is better defensively.

Since this is along that tangent I am going to mention physicality on the PK. It is only important if the opposing team uses the spread PP tactic since that tactic is about using physicality to get to rebounds. Beyond that, the only two relevant skills to look at for the PK is def and then spirit.

Edit: I should have said this when I was originally replying. The only thing that the in game description of tactics is telling you is what skills you want to look for and get in your players that will make that tactic work best.

Edit 2: And on that in regards to the player examples player 2 would still likely struggle in your system that emphasizes speed and physicality even with him being the more skilled player. The player that you really want to be looking for in comparison to those two looks something like this.

85, 85, 75, 85, 75, 85, 75, 75, 85

Notice how this player is different from the other two. It is these small differences that you need to pay attention to as they make a world of difference in terms of results.

Thanked by 1 Member:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users