GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 209 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: July 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationFinland

Steam Profile

Try sending Anders a PM, I'm not in Clapper so cannot take a look in what happened.

Posted June 16, 2016 - 04:34 AM

GamePlanHockey

Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1040 posts
  • 124 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

@MAGICQ7 I think you lost your draft picks because of a bug that now has been fixed. I'm sorry about that. Of course, your are not meant to lose your draft picks when relegated. The owners will however be switched with the promoting team.

Posted June 29, 2016 - 02:56 PM

rinkrat

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: June 2016
Rep - Floater

Ok, so I acquired a SHL 3rd round pick in trades and I still have my (BHL) 3rd round pick. How does the draft order work for that since I have two third round picks but the SHL one will be much higher than my BHL one?

Posted June 29, 2016 - 03:45 PM

jusatin

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 209 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: July 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationFinland

Steam Profile

You normally place players into your shortlist, set them to go at round 3. Then the highest one available will be drafted with your SHL pick, and the highest one available come your BHL pick, will also be drafted. No way to separate them from each others.

Posted September 09, 2016 - 06:23 PM

bo horvat

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: January 2016
Rep - Floater

the draft pick switch needs to be looked at, the cost to acquire 1st round ghl picks is higher than what I will get with a 1st round SHL pick.  What a waste.

Posted September 15, 2016 - 01:49 AM

koekefix

Professional GM

• Moderators
  • 163 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium

So the draft order has been announced in Biscuit and I have some questions regarding that:

- I ended 2nd in the league and yet I have received the 16th pick in the 1st round? This should be the 15th if I'm not mistaking?

- I have seen the Protons receiving the 15th pick but considering their ranking this should be the 13th pick?

- If I look at the 3rd round picks, I get the last one again but the pick before me is now for the Minutemen.

To make it clear these picks have stayed with their original owner. It seems the order is not correct if you look at the league ranking.

Thanks for the feedback.

Posted September 15, 2016 - 03:42 AM

Erzac

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Reliable

It's not strictly tied to a team's position in the league.

Quote from the first page of this thread:

"The very exact draft pick number will then be decided with a lottery where the worst placed teams will have the greatest chance of winning a top pick number."

Then again I don't know what's up with the later rounds. Seems like some teams move up one place in the order when compared to the first round. Don't know if that's intended or not.

Posted September 15, 2016 - 05:02 AM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationSri Lanka

This too confused me today.  I slide two spots back than my finish, which means two other teams must have been luckier than me and I get punished for it in each round!  

Posted September 15, 2016 - 05:06 AM

koekefix

Professional GM

• Moderators
  • 163 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium

Exactly Steve, it doesn't seem correct.

Our 3rd round however is after the SHL 1st round, so that makes sense. Still the later round picks are very confusing.

Posted September 15, 2016 - 11:19 AM

Daedalus

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: July 2016
Rep - Floater

I am new and this is my first draft but read the first post in this thread before the draft came out so was aware of the lottery.  After seeing my draft locations I am assuming each round has it's own lottery which would explain differing positions.

I moved up 3 in the first round, 2 in the second round and drafting where I should in the third round.  I guess I was lucky!

Posted January 10, 2017 - 10:03 AM

Jewlz

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: January 2017
Rep - Floater
  • LocationPoland

Hey guys,

I got a question regarding the draft process. How significant is the pick in the "Choose any prospect with a significant higher rank"?

For example, if I have a draft pick at the #180 spot and there's a player left in the draft ranked as the 175th - will that be significant enough? 

I'm wondering if I should use that option or "Always use shortlist over rank". 

Thanks in advance :)

Posted January 10, 2017 - 09:57 PM

IneffableLeafs

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

@julek

I'm a bit unsure myself about "Choose any prospect with a significant higher rank" as a draft preference.

I always use "Always use shortlist over rank", and that's personal opinion.

I make sure to shortlist at least 3 players projected to go around every pick you have.

So usually you would want to shortlist 9 or more prospects depending on how many picks you have and depending on if you decide to draft like me.

Hope I provided a little help!

Posted January 25, 2017 - 08:30 PM

Xerxes

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: March 2016
Rep - Floater

A question for the developer/experienced players: just reading up on this and the whole drafting process sounds like a difficult problem. I was thinking, since the higher and lower leagues are so much different (the huge salary cap difference), why not treat the draft the same as well. We're basically saying each league is a whole new level that players need to compete at before they get a shot at a higher league, so why not the gold league have all of its 3 rounds of draft picks first, then silver league, and so on. 

I know this would disadvantage the lower leagues even more, but at least it will clarify a lot of the complexity of the current draft system.

Also I would suggest teams keeping their original drafts as this would make sure teams trading away their draft picks won't get an advantage if they know they're going down and the value of their draft pick will be much lower (and similarly teams receiving draft picks in trades won't get an unpleasant surprise when the team they got a pick from moves down the lower league and their pick is suddenly much less valuable).

To continue on the thought of having leagues feel like completely separate leagues, why not have a full and exciting 8 team playoff for each of the lower leagues as well, with top 3 teams getting the promotion (there would be a 3rd/4th place playoff as well). I would even think only 2 teams promoting, or even 1 would be more rewarding for actually aiming to win your league as opposed to just be top 3. But i know of course this would reduce incentive to play the game.

This way each league is basically considered a whole different "level" that players need to master before they get a shot at a higher league. And of course, you get a crappier draft even after promotion as you would keep your lower league picks, but by managing to not get demoted, you can make up for this 1 year crappier draft pick.

I'm not saying this as a suggestion to be implemented, just a thought to be discussed as it came to me when I was reading this forum. Curious to know what the devs and experienced players think of such system?

PS all these issues would be fix in the single league North American League system that the developer had mentioned to be developed later (any ETA on this? I would love to play this version as it'd be more similar to NHL).

Posted January 25, 2017 - 09:15 PM

MattLumberjacks

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Reliable

This could have been its own suggestion thread :P

I actually like the way the current draft works and think it's probably the best way to run it. As you mentioned, it would take away a little bit of parity for teams facing promotion or relegation should it change. It's really just a pattern that you have to memorize.

In regards to teams that feel scammed with draft picks that are about to be worse in just a few in-game days, that is really on you to double check before accepting a trade. If you made the trade at the start of the season, it's really just bad luck. However, you should remember that while you might sometimes lose a trade involving picks due to relegation, you can also win trades involving picks of teams that have been promoted. The biggest issue I've noticed is when GHL teams acquire all the top SHL picks from the AI and are pretty much guaranteed a really high pick for nothing. My only other issue is the trade value displayed on the trade screens. I don't think every 1st pick should be shown to be the same as the 1st pick from another round,

Ignoring my issues, perhaps a solution to your problem with the season is that the draft could be explained in a little bit more detail. Maybe on the youth draft page, there could be a help button similar to the ones in tactics that explain how everything involving the draft works. Mainly just the pattern of the draft as well as what happens to the picks when a team is promoted or relegated.

I actually like the idea of more playoff teams. I think it would be cool to continue to have the top 2 teams automatically be promoted as well as the bottom 2 teams to be demoted, but then instead have it be the 3rd to 10th spot play playoffs for promotion and then the remaining teams play the playoffs to avoid relegation. I mean I'm pretty sure there are enough days already in-game to support this system, so why not use the days so that everybody gets a chance at playoff hockey. However, the GHL champion playoffs probably should probably remain the top 8 teams in order to keep everything even.

Posted January 25, 2017 - 09:39 PM

IneffableLeafs

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

We're basically saying each league is a whole new level that players need to compete at before they get a shot at a higher league, so why not the gold league have all of its 3 rounds of draft picks first, then silver league, and so on. 

I know this would disadvantage the lower leagues even more, but at least it will clarify a lot of the complexity of the current draft system.

I disagree with this completely. Through good free agent signings, I was able to promote from the IHL to BHL in one season, and the BHL to SHL in one season. I currently sit 3rd in the SHL. Obviously the ultimate goal is to win the cup, but in slow worlds like Fishbowl, if you were to implement a draft feature like this, there would be no point on even trying to bring a lower league team to the GHL; because the season is about 70 real days long. I don't really understand what you were trying to say here: "but at least it will clarify a lot of the complexity of the current draft system"

Also I would suggest teams keeping their original drafts as this would make sure teams trading away their draft picks won't get an advantage if they know they're going down and the value of their draft pick will be much lower (and similarly teams receiving draft picks in trades won't get an unpleasant surprise when the team they got a pick from moves down the lower league and their pick is suddenly much less valuable).

I don't know why you'd want to get rid of pick trading. Personally I usually just trade away my picks because the prospects are garbage. Just a few days ago I traded I think a young stud and a 2nd round pick for a few veterans. You basically just listed the cons of trading for a relegation candidates team, and its unlikely that a relegated team would want to trade their picks, because they're losing half of their players anyways to one way contracts.

Sure, it won't give anyone an advantage, I totally see where you're coming from, but it would take away from the realism of the game and make no sense if you can trade players and not picks.

To continue on the thought of having leagues feel like completely separate leagues, why not have a full and exciting 8 team playoff for each of the lower leagues as well, with top 3 teams getting the promotion (there would be a 3rd/4th place playoff as well). I would even think only 2 teams promoting, or even 1 would be more rewarding for actually aiming to win your league as opposed to just be top 3. But i know of course this would reduce incentive to play the game.

If your not aware of this Xerxes, the main developer of this game Anders is Swedish, and based the game off of European competition. This way of competition makes things much more exciting because players cannot just tank for good picks, they have to do well, otherwise its a whole new rebuild.

If you've ever watched Premier League Football/Soccer, Newcastle United just got relegated and this season they lost the majority of their players. However, due to the stature of the club, they were able to get good enough players to dominate the second league so far.

I believe there is already a promotion playoff for all the leagues under GHL, which also works similar to the European competition system.

The reality is, this is how European competition works.

This way each league is basically considered a whole different "level" that players need to master before they get a shot at a higher league. And of course, you get a crappier draft even after promotion as you would keep your lower league picks, but by managing to not get demoted, you can make up for this 1 year crappier draft pick.

Again, this is screwing all the non-GHL teams over. From my experience, however high up the prospect is drafted, that is the league the player potential's ceiling is. For example, an SHL first round pick will usually peak around 80 overall, good for a great SHL player. LIHL first round picks will peak around 60-65 overall, LIHL material.

I don't know about European hockey, but in European football, when a team is promoted, the better TV exposure increases revenue, which helps the team compete in their inaugural season. Teams this year promoted, Middlesbrough, Burnley, and Hull got massive amounts of cash when the new TV deal kicked in. EPL is the only soccer games (other than MLS) that you can watch in Canada. Making sense? 

PS all these issues would be fix in the single league North American League system that the developer had mentioned to be developed later (any ETA on this? I would love to play this version as it'd be more similar to NHL).

I wish I had an answer but I don't think there is an ETA on the NA league system.

I totally agree that the draft system is bad for lower league teams, but the reality is, it was a highly requested feature, and people would much rather have it how it is than tweaked in any other way.

I only see one flaw with a NA league draft system. If one team is able to hoard picks, there will be no stopping them, especially because the CPU teams are usually looted of their prized players and usually sit at the bottom of the standings.

I'm sorry but if those ideas became a reality, the appeal and growth of the game will be lost because until you are ranked 'experienced', you have to have good seasons in either the BHL, IHL, or LIHL, which is hard enough already.

The community always appreciates input though  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users