Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1076 posts
  • 130 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden
# Youth draft

At the end of each season a youth draft will be held where teams will select the rights to available junior players. 

## Prospect rankings
The prospect rankings is a list where all the available juniors (17 years old) will be ranked to help managers finding the top prospects for their teams.

The list will be released in three versions during each season; Initial rankings, Mid rankings and Final rankings. The ranks are based on player’s performance, potential and skill set. Once the rankings are released you will be notified in your inbox where your assistant will give you suggestions on players of interest.

The complete list may be found at the *Prospect rankings* tab on the Transfer page.

## Draft order
All teams at all league levels will receive a 1st round, 2nd round and a 3rd pick in the upcoming youth draft meaning that a total of 240 players will be drafted each season. The total overall pick number will depend on the team’s current league level.

GHL 1st round -> 1st - 16th
GHL 2nd round -> 17th - 32th
SHL 1st round -> 33th - 48th
GHL 3rd round -> 49th - 64th
SHL 2nd round -> 65th - 80th
BHL 1st round -> 81th - 96th
SHL 3rd round -> 97th - 112th
BHL 2nd round -> 113th - 128th
IHL 1st round -> 129th - 144th
BHL 3rd round -> 145th - 160th
IHL 2nd round -> 161th - 176th
LIHL 1st round -> 177th - 192th
IHL 3rd round -> 193th - 208th
LIHL 2nd round -> 209th - 224th
LIHL 3rd round -> 225th - 240th

The very exact draft pick number will then be decided with a lottery where the worst placed teams will have the greatest chance of winning a top pick number.

The current draft order and draft history may be found at the *Youth draft* tab on the Transfer page.

### Teams promoting or relegating
Relegated and promoted teams will switch draft picks with each other. That means that the promoted teams will get a top pick at their new league level and get a great boost to establish themselves in their new league. The relegated team on the other hand will get a bottom pick at their new, lower, league level.

*Note that these affected draft picks may actual be owned by another team if acquired through trading.*

*Example 1*
The East Barre Dynamites has a lousy season and finishes last in the SHL. They are therefor relegated to the BHL. On the other end the Patterson Skyhawks finishes 1st in the BHL and wins promotion to the SHL. Both teams has all their draft picks intact. The Dynamites and the Skyhawks will switch draft picks with each other, meaning that the Dynamites will now draft at BHL level and the Skyhawks will draft at SHL level.

*Example 2*
Let’s take the Example 1 above but with the exception that the East Barre Dynamites has traded their SHL level 1st round pick to the Farmingdale Firestorm for a SHL level 2nd round pick and forward Anthon Lindmark. 

Like the above example the Dynamites and the Skyhawks will switch draftpicks with each other. **But it’s not draft picks owned by the teams that are switched, only the one granted by the team**. That will mean that the Dynamites will actually keep the 2nd round pick acquired from Farmingdale Firestorm who in their turn will switch their SHL level 1st round pick (acquired from the Dynamites) in exchange for the Skyhawks’s BHL level 1st round pick.

## Draft preferences - setting your draft targets
You can access the *Draft preference* view at the *Action menu* of the Transfer page.

Since the draft isn’t a live event it’s important that you set your draft preferences before the draft is held to have a good chance of getting the prospects you want. This is done by shortlisting the prospects you are interested in. 

The best way of finding players to draft is by browsing the prospect ranking list or the junior leagues. It might also be a good idea to check in what range your draft picks are so you won’t waste valuable time shortlisting players that most likely won’t be around when it’s your time to draft.

Your assistant will also give you suggestions on players of interest each time the prospect ranking list is released.

### Prioritise shortlisted prospects
Once you’ve shortlisted some prospects you may want to prioritise which prospects to draft first. This is done by clicking the up/down arrow found at the *Draft preference* view.

You can also set in which round the player may be of interest so you won’t waste a 1st round pick for a player you’d only be interested in for a 3rd round pick.

### Rank vs Shortlist
For various reasons you might not always want your shortlisted prospects to be the only ones up for drafting. What if the number one ranked prospect is still available and you don’t have him in your shortlist? That’s why you can make additional settings called *Rank vs Shortlist*. This may be set to three different values:

1. *Choose any prospect with a significant higher rank*
This means that even if you have shortlisted players available when it’s your turn to draft your assistant will go for the top ranked player if his prospect rank is significant higher that the ones in your shortlist.

2. *Choose any prospect with a significant higher rank if matching transfer needs*
Like the above but with the exception that the player must also match a need set by you in the Transfer need view.

3. *Always use shortlist over rank*
By setting this you will only draft players in your shortlist. If no shortlisted players are available the player with the highest rank will be drafted.

## Player rights
Once a player is drafted the team will own the rights to that player until the player turns 21 years old. This means that no other team in the competition (GHL, SHL, BHL, IHL, LIHL) can approach and sign the player.

The player may however sign for teams in non playable leagues. In that case the player may still be signed by the owner team during silly season.

This way you are not forced to sign every player that you draft if they’re not good enough to play at your league level just yet. They may actually benefit from playing games at a lower league level for a couple of years.

## Draft picks trading
Draft picks may be included and targeted in trade offers with both human and computer teams. Draft picks may like any other target only be traded to teams in the same league or one league level up or down.

Draft picks acquired by trade will still base its overall pick number on the original team’s league standing.

Also note that you may only trade draft picks of the current season.

## Prospect (player rights) trading
Drafted players that’s not signed may still be traded and therefore included/targeted in a trade offer. Just like for all other targets player rights may only be traded to teams in the same league or one league level up or down.

A team acquiring player rights will not automatically get the player on their roster. They still need to approach the player with a contract offer.

## Entry level contracts
All players under 21 years old may only be offered an entry level contract. The entry level contract will be set to a fixed salary depending on the league level and will last until the player turns 21 years old.

The entry level contract will not include any contract clauses but will be re calculated if the team is promoted or relegated. So you won’t lose a player with an entry level contract if relegated.

**League entry level salaries:**
GHL ->  $500.000
SHL ->  $125.000
BHL ->   $37.500
IHL ->   $12.500
LIHL ->   $6.250

Thanked by 2 Members:

Posted May 26, 2016 - 12:53 AM

Keskustankeisari

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: May 2016
Rep - Floater
  • LocationFinland

Steam Profile

Great news, sounds awesome!

Posted May 26, 2016 - 02:17 AM

Haradrim

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: January 2016
Rep - Helpful

All looks well, but I do have one worry.

The draft order gives an important advantage to teams in the higher leagues.  This means that all the good players will go there. In time this will make it almost impossible for teams in the lower leagues to catch up, users will get frustrated or bored and leave the game. 

I was expecting different drafts for each league, with an equal chance for each league to draft the best players. This way the game would remain interesting because no teams will have a strong advantage in the way the game mechanism works.

I know things are different in real life, but this is a game and users won't engage for long if they don't have a (real) chance to go up the leagues. And the veterans in the GHL at some time may get bored because of a lack of challenges.

Posted May 26, 2016 - 04:25 AM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1076 posts
  • 130 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

Thanks for your input. The main reason why the draft order is somewhat mixed between league levels is to even out differences. In addition to this promoting teams will switch draft picks with the relegating teams allowing them to draft at the new higher league level right away. Is this enough to prevent to big advantages? I don't know yet, otherwise we'll need to adjust further.

But the realism part of the game is very important to me and is one of the core features that makes this game stand out from the rest (at least in some way), so I don't like to compromise to much either.

Posted May 26, 2016 - 04:29 AM

Tutankhamen

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Well done Anders, great source of information :)

Posted May 26, 2016 - 04:59 AM

masina

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Floater

Hi Anders.. I was really looking forward to this :) and I really like that potential is hidden now because this will make "scouting" a bit more important.. on the other hand I would really like to make my own draftboard if you know what I mean.. slide a player up or couple of them down a bit or something like this (many online managers are using this sliding draft system) :) so I hope maybe in the future.. thanks 

Posted May 26, 2016 - 07:04 AM

themattinthehat

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: May 2015
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationUK

Great work!

Will we be able to set Draft Picks as a transfer need to let other teams know your open to receiving these in a trade?

Posted May 26, 2016 - 07:11 AM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1076 posts
  • 130 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

The need of draft picks will currently fall under the category "Prospect need".

Posted May 26, 2016 - 07:19 PM

Nicolas Senet

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Reliable
Great work Anders. This is just getting better and better. Thanks for your hard work. I'm sure this will get this game one step further. Keep your good work.

Posted May 27, 2016 - 01:35 AM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationSri Lanka

Well designed and after playing with it yesterday, works very well!  Great job!!!!  

Posted May 30, 2016 - 03:52 AM

HurjaHerra

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Reliable

@Masina: I use phone more than comp so I have to argue against that :D A lot easier and more accurate to just click few times to get the right order :P

And going to say it again that maybe only giving GHL teams one round before SHL round and that's the only round for SHL before BHL's first rounds would make the cap between leagues even lower? Then again it might hamper teams that promote to a higher league, because it would take longer to use their draft pick again. So maybe my suggestion would lower the cap between leagues at the expense of tighter leagues? And the system atm, makes the competition inside a league tighter, but may result in higher difference between leagues? Who knows :P

And I had a question, why I initially came here :D :

So I have atm players in my junior shortlist or whatever it's called. I got the draft pref based on shortlist. So P(layer)1 is most desired, then P2 and P3 least.

P1 pref @2nd. round

P2 pref @3rd. round

P3 pref @2nd. round

So I was wondering if I don't get P1 will the assistant pick P2 or P3 for me at the second round? And if I change the preferred rounds between P2&P3, which one will I get at the 3rd round?

Posted May 30, 2016 - 06:18 AM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1076 posts
  • 130 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

If setting your draft preference for the 3rd round it will mean that the player won't be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round even if higher on your priority list.

Posted May 30, 2016 - 10:12 PM

ncik

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Reliable

well we have the opportunity to move a pick right after the playoffs are over or will the draft start immediately?

Posted May 30, 2016 - 10:16 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • 12 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Reliable

Draft happens right before new season commences(Day 77)....so no trades between trade deadline and draft. Would be a nice feature later on though.

Posted May 31, 2016 - 04:33 AM

HurjaHerra

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Reliable

If setting your draft preference for the 3rd round it will mean that the player won't be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round even if higher on your priority list.

Just to be sure, so if I want them all in that order I'll put them

P1

P2

P3

in the juniorlist and all of them have that 2nd round pref and even if it goes to 3rd the assistant will pick the P3 if he has 2nd round pref?

Also, I traded my best goalie for a 2nd round SHL pick. My ex-goalie won them the playoffs so will I get a GHL 2nd rounder or will it stay as a SHL 2nd round pick? Based on that text I do, but my other pick switched when the draft order was decided so just wondering :P

E: The pick is:

SHL 2nd 76th Exc

Originally from Parkland Hawks in Gam World Lumber. Parkland just won their second game against GHL team so they are going to get promoted.
After digging I found:
Season 6 GHL 2nd 20th Goo
Originally from Kingston Falcons

So is that the pick I'm going to get? Would be nice to know to be able to adjust my scouting shortlist or whatever it was called

Posted May 31, 2016 - 02:05 PM

neuralhandshake

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Steam Profile

How do I avoid drafting 3 Defensemen when I only need 1? I set up my list, but each time the assistant drafted a D. Is there a way to set the maximum number of roles and priority for them that you draft? Like, if I want to draft 1 D and 2 C's, could I order so that the priority of the first pick is a Defensemen and then the next two will be Centers, and that only one defenseman would be picked per draft?

And if I set my list to draft ONLY from Shortlist, and Johnny to be drafted *only* in the 2nd round, but when it comes around to my pick in the 1st everyone has been taken... does my assistant pick Johnny in the first or how does that work?

Posted June 03, 2016 - 05:02 AM

HurjaHerra

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Reliable
I guess you need to tinker with the list so that will happen. Like putting 3D as first with 1st round prefs and then doing that same thing with C for 2nd & 3rd round. Assuming you have your original 3picks.

I'd say it will pick him with what has been written here in the forums.

Posted June 07, 2016 - 11:27 AM

MAGICQ7

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: June 2016
Rep - Floater
  • LocationPA

Okay so I don't get this draft thing at all?????  I never traded any of my draft picks.  I get relegated, I then only get a 3RD rd pick.  That's really fucked up.  If that's the case stop moving my team or I'm simply not gonna play this anymore.  Its the dumbest draft rules I've ever heard of.  Who's to stop me from trading all of my draft picks get moved up and have a whole new set of draft picks. 

Posted June 07, 2016 - 02:07 PM

jusatin

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 232 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: July 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationFinland

Steam Profile

Okay so I don't get this draft thing at all?????  I never traded any of my draft picks.  I get relegated, I then only get a 3RD rd pick.  That's really fucked up.  If that's the case stop moving my team or I'm simply not gonna play this anymore.  Its the dumbest draft rules I've ever heard of.  Who's to stop me from trading all of my draft picks get moved up and have a whole new set of draft picks. 

Please provide a little more info of your situation. Team name, world etc.

Posted June 08, 2016 - 07:47 AM

MAGICQ7

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: June 2016
Rep - Floater
  • LocationPA

SHL Silver Hockey League.  I was in the GHL: Golden Hockey league last season.  My team is Portland Wild Cats.  I got pushed up from SHL and had a terrible season.  Then I got relegated and some how lost all of my draft picks other then a 3rd rd pick.  Like I said pretty fucked up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users