HurjaHerra

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Reliable

Hope the Preds continue their winning ways in Nashville, and then somehow pull out a win in Game 7. Really wanna see PK lift the Cup this year! :)

^Thought I "root", because of Rinne. Nothing against Pburgh, but imo. Rinne deserves it and he's already 34.

Posted October 05, 2017 - 11:17 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 307 posts
  • 12 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Reliable

New NHL season is finally here!

Any early predictions?

Manager of:

Dunkirk Sea Hawks | GHL | Lumber
Prairie City Steers | SHL | Clapper
Otego Arrowheads | IHL | Dangles
Bushong Hill Giants | GHL | UAT Mitts

Posted October 06, 2017 - 12:03 AM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Oilers go 82-0-0.

Posted October 06, 2017 - 01:47 AM

koekefix

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium

Oilers go 82-0-0.

And get sweeped in the first round.

Posted October 06, 2017 - 11:57 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • 20 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

I have a hard time buying the Oilers winning more than 50 games. Talent wise it is a top heavy team offensively and is a year or two away from being able to potentially take that ultimate step in being a serious contender unless they rehash their forward depth a bit this year.

That said I am going to give 5 teams from each conference with what I think have the least chances to make the playoffs in alphabetical order.

West:

Arizona: Short of an outstanding season from a lot of players this team is not going to be near the playoffs

Colorado: Still a lot of questions about the D but at least it isn't a mad scramble for a new coach to start the season.

Vancouver: I think the goaltending will be the big letdown this season. Never mind many of the young players that are the future aren't all quite ready to take over for the Sedins yet.

Vegas: Even with the flower at his best this team will be hard pressed to make the playoffs.

Winnipeg: I'm not sure they have played D since they moved to Winnipeg

East:

Florida: They lost a lot more in the offseason than they got back.

New Jersey: D needs a lot of work before this team is playoff ready. McDavid stepped into a much better position than Hischier did.

New York Islanders: Offense is my question here. Specifically who takes the reigns as the second line cog. While I do think the promising young forwards can eventually fill that gap I don't think it is quite now. Without such a player this team will once again struggle on offense and rely on Tavares too much.

Ottawa: Loss of Methot will very likely make a big impact. Also team over performed last year almost on the whole.

Philadelphia: While there is a lot of good young talent here I think this team isn't quite ready to fight for a playoff spot.

Posted October 06, 2017 - 01:15 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I mostly agree but disagree with your Winnipeg reasoning. I think their defense core is either average or even slightly better than average. What they've been missing for a few years now is even an average goaltender. While I wouldn't call Mason great, I would call him an average goaltender and I think that will be a huge boost to the team. Unfortunately, he hasn't performed like it yet this season.

If their new goaltending situation works out, I'd actually have them finishing with more points than the Kings and Sharks at the end of the season.

Posted October 06, 2017 - 05:34 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 307 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Speaking of Winnipeg's goaltending, I would not have brought in Mason, I would have given the job to Hellebuyck full-time.  If Mason falters (like he did in Philly, although the D around him wasn't that great either), there's no doubt Hellebuyck will carry the bulk of the load.  That could be Connor's time to shine.  They need consistency between the pipes.

Manager of:

Posted October 06, 2017 - 08:34 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • 20 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

It wasn't worth bringing Mason in when they had Hutchinson and Hallebuyck. Both NHL quality goalies.

Tbh Matt Winnipeg's D zone coverage has easily been one of the worst in the league for the past few seasons at least. Seeing players run around the D zone unchecked 5 on 5 is a far more common sight than a bad goal allowed by the goalie when watching Winnipeg play. The offensive talent of the Winnipeg defenders is easily one of the best in the league but the play in their own end is easily Colorado like bad. Maybe worse. Of the 7 goals from the Leafs 5 were blown/loose coverage that had me asking wtf are they doing. None more glaring than William Nylander being left alone about 10ft away from the net for a good 3 seconds if not more.

Posted October 07, 2017 - 04:07 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 307 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

How about those Golden Knights!  Undefeated!  Leading the Pacific Division! :D

Manager of:

Posted October 08, 2017 - 08:04 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCzech Republic

I guess the teams are letting them, because of what happened in Vegas. I'm surprised by Neal mostly, but let's see at the end of October.

Posted October 08, 2017 - 08:20 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCzech Republic

Good list, rainsilent. But I guess it is not that hard to make such guess. Those teams were either very bad in last few seasons or they over-performed at some point and their playoff episodes were rather short ones (I guess Ottawa is the only exception, but Anderson is getting older, Karlsson might take time to be in his best play after operation and they lost Method as you said).

For the East I would add Detroit (Howard is back in good form, but the team looks weak in every other position) and Carolina (I like the youth development there, but they are still not playoff contender for me). So, you have 9 teams for 8 playoff spots. I guess it will be fight among Montreal, NYR, and Buffalo to be out.

In the West, I think it is safe to add Calgary to the list. And the last non-playoff team will be either LA (I never know what to expect from them) or Minnesota (they look weaker than last year, Dubnyk is loosing his mojo). 

Posted October 08, 2017 - 10:12 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 307 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Fleury played very well in his first two games with Vegas, we'll see if he can keep it up.

I don't have much faith in my Sabres this year.

Manager of:

Posted October 09, 2017 - 03:27 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCzech Republic

Why not? I like the line with Eichel, Pominville, and Kane (whatever flaws Evander has, in contract year he is a beast). Lehner is a decent goalie. Only the defensive pairs does not look like a playoff team material.

Posted October 09, 2017 - 09:23 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • 20 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

For the East I would add Detroit (Howard is back in good form, but the team looks weak in every other position) and Carolina (I like the youth development there, but they are still not playoff contender for me). So, you have 9 teams for 8 playoff spots. I guess it will be fight among Montreal, NYR, and Buffalo to be out.

In the West, I think it is safe to add Calgary to the list. And the last non-playoff team will be either LA (I never know what to expect from them) or Minnesota (they look weaker than last year, Dubnyk is loosing his mojo). 

Detroit is not likely to make it because of D. They have good young forwards they just don't have the same in the D. They also lack a #1 center or even just a focal player to generate offense though. The offense is a team effort of quality forwards that won't necessarily wow you.

Carolina is all dependent upon the kind of goaltending it gets out of Darling. The past 3 seasons outside of goalie stats and raw offensive scoring stats they have been one of the best teams statistically in the league by far. If Darling provides that solid goaltending Carolina is going to have home ice advantage at least in the first round. If not they will miss the playoffs like last year. Carolina is better than Buffalo skaters wise. Much better in skater depth to boot. Even with Buffalo having Eichel. In fact only Eichel and O'Reilly (#1 and #2 centers) do I see Buffalo as actually better than Carolina skaters wise and O'Reilly better than Stall due to more offensive skill alone as otherwise I see them as pushes. A lot of people overlook Carolina due to a lack of outright offensive numbers and bad goaltending numbers however almost all other numbers say that this team is actually one of the best.

As for Montreal they are definitely a lot worse a team than they were 2 seasons ago when they still had Subban. Even with Drouin. Streit is their most skilled defensemen offensively and he has given away a number of egregious turnovers only a few games in. Some even directly lead to a few goals against. While Price can hold the team in games this is easily the worst team he has had in front of him. I seriously think that even with a healthy Price Montreal is at risk of not making the playoffs.

LA is the hardest team to figure in the west due to new playing style. Even after watching a number of preseason games I couldn't quite get a solid idea on what to expect in terms of results.

Calgary I genuinely think will do better than LA, SJ and STL. I may even be willing to put the Blackhawks there if someone can entice me some more. The one question mark from Calgary is consistency. Can they consistently play at their talent level? If they do Calgary may be a home team in the first round. As it is I see them scratching into the playoffs.

Minnesota isn't much weaker at all and Dubnyk hasn't lost his mojo. I don't get where people are getting that impression from. While I do think they will regress a little from where they were last season it won't be by much and I expect this team to be near 100pts.

Posted October 09, 2017 - 01:17 PM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCzech Republic

I do agree with most. Not so much with Calgary - Monahan is not a 1st line center to me. I don't like Dougie Hamilton. I'm not sure about Jagr. They have talent and they have some hard-working players in the lineup (Frolik, Brouwer) that might surprise. Smith might help them, but that is still a question. Also, team that is completely changing both goalies every season (well, three years in a row now), does not look confident. 

I think Dubnyk loosing mojo is coming from fantasy numbers. And there is also the playoff loss, people were expecting big things from them and they lost in 1st round. But I guess they might be just fine this season.

Posted October 09, 2017 - 03:30 PM

IneffableLeafs

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: July 2016
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCanada

Watching the leafs is sure going to be stressful this year. 15 goals in two games, seven against. 

In my opinion, they really need to trade for a top 4 defenseman soon. Although, watching end to end hockey (Zach Hyman's first goal against the Rangers) makes me laugh. There are simply too many defensive errors, and pretty much the entire defense are offensive minded. I'm not really liking Connor Carrick, he needs to step it up on the defensive positioning and decision making. Rosen and Borgman were both understandably poor in their first appearences as well. Hainsey should be okay on a pairing with either Gardiner or Rielly this year, and Zaitsev is developing nicely as well. 

My prediction: Leafs lose to Golden Knights in cup finals 4 games to 2. You heard it here first.

I also found this, and I found it a bit ironic.

Posted October 09, 2017 - 04:11 PM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCzech Republic

I take it back... Sabres suck for real :)

I think Toronto has a plan - to have 82 goalies pulled against. If you average goals scored of 7.5, you don't need defense. This looks like pure 80's so far :) I'm kidding, of course. 

Yesterday I wrote in my fantasy league:

Bold predictions for 2017/18: 
Vegas will get 82 wins in regular season, but they will be swept in 1st round of the playoffs by Colorado as Varlamov will get 4 shutouts and Yakupov will score 10 goals.

And today I'm scared as I might have been right on the Colorado part :)

Posted October 09, 2017 - 06:22 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • 20 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Monahan isn't a 1st line center but he fits nicely with Gaudreau. Hamilton is inconsistent with his play but undeniably is very good when on.

Fantasy numbers are complete rubbish. The only reason the Wild lost in the first round is due to Jake Allen. They dominated the Blues in play but Allen was just amazing on a historical level in the first round and roughly the 2 months prior. Dubnyk was excellent in the series unfortunately excellent just isn't as good as historically amazing. If the Wild had played Chicago they would have swept them too.

Posted October 09, 2017 - 11:52 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 307 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

I take it back... Sabres suck for real :)

Darn right the Sabres suck! :P  Buffalo has never won a championship, in any sport.

I really want Vegas to do well, it's always fun to root for the underdog (like San Jose back in '92, go Arturs Irbe!), but I don't think they can sustain their roaring start for long.

Manager of:

Posted October 10, 2017 - 08:19 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • 20 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Hardly a roaring start when it is 2 OT wins and the one against the better team the Knights struggled to control the puck thus getting heavily out shot. Ok they heavily out shot the Cyotes but its the Cyotes. I am looking for what 3 moves they make to get Shipachyov, Tuch and Theodore back into the NHL like they want them to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users