Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: July 2016
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

Why are you so against the Leafs rainsilent?

The Capitals are playing to the best of their abilities. They are under pressure because if they are eliminated, they lose Shattenkirk, Alzner, etc. And Ovechkin is in his prime, whatever.

The Leafs have outshot the Capitals in this series, and except for game 1, frequently have played well against the Caps. It can be argued that game 1 was a fluky win. Williams' goal took a deflection before landing directly on Oshie's stick to feed Williams for the one-timer. His second was also a fluke, because I'll admit Andersen made a mistake, the fact that no one on Toronto even challenged the puck is a bit odd. Kadri's line, which consists of Leo Komarov and Connor Brown, is shutting down the Ovechkin-Backstrom line with superb efficiency. The fact that these skilled players are being shut down by this Leafs line proves that the Leafs have the determination and drive to beat the Caps. Not to mention the Leafs have been scoring from all lines, Kapanen on the 4th has 2, JVR has come up big on the 2nd, Matthews has scored as well on the 3rd, etc.

You're telling me that Nashville, who finished below the Leafs in the overall standings, and were in an easier conference to clinch, didn't have the defense (which by the way, they have the best puck moving defense in the NHL) to cope with Chicago? And they're about to sweep arguably the best team in the NHL? Mostly because Pekka Rinne when on his game is an absolute monster?

If Nashville can beat Chicago in 4-5, surely the Leafs can beat the Capitals in 6-7.

Also, I don't know if you've watched the games, but they are very entertaining (especially in HD), and that's because both teams are performing as best they can, not because they've not been playing well.

To conclude, I'm going to say that if Andersen can play as well as Holtby in the remaining best of 3, and Tom Wilson well, returns to being Tom Wilson who gives the other team power-plays, then Toronto should have no trouble beating a tired Washington team.

Posted April 20, 2017 - 10:47 PM

MattLumberjacks

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Reliable

Oof, sorry about your bracket bouncer.

Posted April 20, 2017 - 10:49 PM

canucks

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • 12 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Reliable

Chicago swept?!?!

Posted April 20, 2017 - 10:57 PM

MattLumberjacks

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Reliable

https://media.giphy....eLwT6/giphy.gif

Posted April 21, 2017 - 11:11 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • 17 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Why are you so against the Leafs rainsilent?

The Capitals are playing to the best of their abilities. They are under pressure because if they are eliminated, they lose Shattenkirk, Alzner, etc. And Ovechkin is in his prime, whatever.

The Leafs have outshot the Capitals in this series, and except for game 1, frequently have played well against the Caps. It can be argued that game 1 was a fluky win. Williams' goal took a deflection before landing directly on Oshie's stick to feed Williams for the one-timer. His second was also a fluke, because I'll admit Andersen made a mistake, the fact that no one on Toronto even challenged the puck is a bit odd. Kadri's line, which consists of Leo Komarov and Connor Brown, is shutting down the Ovechkin-Backstrom line with superb efficiency. The fact that these skilled players are being shut down by this Leafs line proves that the Leafs have the determination and drive to beat the Caps. Not to mention the Leafs have been scoring from all lines, Kapanen on the 4th has 2, JVR has come up big on the 2nd, Matthews has scored as well on the 3rd, etc.

You're telling me that Nashville, who finished below the Leafs in the overall standings, and were in an easier conference to clinch, didn't have the defense (which by the way, they have the best puck moving defense in the NHL) to cope with Chicago? And they're about to sweep arguably the best team in the NHL? Mostly because Pekka Rinne when on his game is an absolute monster?

If Nashville can beat Chicago in 4-5, surely the Leafs can beat the Capitals in 6-7.

Also, I don't know if you've watched the games, but they are very entertaining (especially in HD), and that's because both teams are performing as best they can, not because they've not been playing well.

To conclude, I'm going to say that if Andersen can play as well as Holtby in the remaining best of 3, and Tom Wilson well, returns to being Tom Wilson who gives the other team power-plays, then Toronto should have no trouble beating a tired Washington team.

The Leafs are making sloppy mistakes too often that you will see from young players, ones that the Caps aren't taking advantage of near enough, is the biggest reason as to why I am not big on the Leafs right now. Their depth defensively is also scary in a bad way.

Also the Caps are most definitely not playing at their best. At least most of the time. They have had a number of critical breakdowns, some of which have lead to big Leafs goals, that if the Caps were playing well would never have happened, at least not nearly as often as they are. The Caps will never get to the conference finals if they keep playing like this. Heck they would be at risk of being swept by Pittsburgh if they played them like this right now. I'm not sure I really have to say much more on that when Tom Wilson has been one of the Caps best players. When a 4th liner is one of your best performers either your team is in trouble or things are going spectacularly well. I think it is safe to say that things aren't going spectacularly well for the Caps currently. Don't get me wrong here. I am not saying that the Leafs aren't capable of winning the series against the Caps. It is just that if they do it is very likely more because the Caps were just playing bad throughout the series more than the Leafs playing excellent. I also am not trying to take away from what the Leafs have done in this series but this series, for me anyways, is all about the Caps just not playing as well as they should be thus far. Last game the Caps only really showed up for a period and a half if that. They were alarmingly absentee for chunks of the third. The Caps can't be playing that way with the roster they have. They can't be giving away 2 and 3 goal leads in the third period like they have this series against this team. They will not be getting far in the playoffs playing that way. Worse of all is that I am not sure there is anything Trots can do as this is all the players own doing.

That said I do think that the Leafs will be one of the best teams in the NHL for a while if they can find a few defensemen.

There are 2 things about Nashville vs Chicago.

1. Chicago has no depth. They are entirely reliant on Kane, Toews, Keith, Panarin and Seabrook to carry the team. Everybody has been seemingly completely overlooking this fact for a few years now. The Hawks currently are where the Pens were a few seasons ago when the Pens were ousted by the Rangers in the first round. No depth and relied too much on a few players for everything. There are two differences though. The Pens were often injured that season and the salaries of Malkin and Crosby aren't near as bad as Kane and Toews are. This was eventually going to happen to the Hawks. It was inevitable.

2. Nashville is significantly better than you give them credit for. They are definitely better than the Leafs are currently. Nashville just struggled a lot to find consistency throughout the season in front of Rinne. I still don't think that Nashville has the D to shut down the Chicago stars because I don't think they did shut them down in the series. Rinne did in spectacular fashion. The Nashville D is much more offensive in nature and I am not sure they have a true shut down defender. Josi is the closest they have and while he is good I don't think he will be compared too favorably to the likes of the best shut down defensemen in the NHL.

Posted April 30, 2017 - 06:38 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCzech Republic

Ah, well the bracket... not so easy task to do a great bracket :) Actually I joined 7 bracket leagues, used this one in most of them and for the last two, I made quickly some brackets based on what can happen, but I don't consider it probable. The last one is killing it so far :) I got 7/8 teams right for second round and also some of the # of games in the series right... 

Posted April 30, 2017 - 07:06 AM

Yann Rock

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: May 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

Sens keep coming back. That 6-5 game against the Rangers was a nail biter for sure. Going to NY with 2-0 lead in the series, anything is possible now.

Karlsson is playing like a possessed man, but Anderson should try not handling the puck as much for a little while ;)

Overall quite happy with how they're doing in the playoffs. 

Posted April 30, 2017 - 08:06 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCzech Republic

I watched the game yesterday... that was huge game and success for Ottawa. Karlsson is on my fantasy keeper team, I like him a lot. So my best wishes to Sens... So far they are the biggest surprise (well together with Oilers) of 2017 playoff. 

Yeah, Anderson should keep it simple and not to play the puck behind net at all :)

Posted April 30, 2017 - 08:46 PM

TheWizard

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Reliable

How about the Preds?!  The crowd in Nashville is loud and proud!

Posted May 01, 2017 - 01:06 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • 17 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Nashville is doing the exact same thing to the Blues that the Wild did. There are just 2 differences. Patience in the offense and the scoring that is coming from it. The Wild threw everything they could at net at every opportunity and despite completely outplaying the Blues for a massive majority of the time they could not score because of Jake Allen. However the patient play from the Preds in their offense is leading to breakdowns in defense that the Wild couldn't get, or sometimes more accurately didn't take advantage of, while having the same general control of the game that the Wild enjoyed. Jake Allen isn't making the same saves either. The play leading to the 3rd Nashville goal illustrates how badly the Blues have been getting outplayed. A minute and a half of continuous offensive zone time in the Blues end without much skill to do it. This is mostly the 3rd and 4th lines doing the work here.

Sure the Blues can make adjustments to a limited degree but for one whole and so far in this series they have just been extensively outplayed. The fact that this wasn't even one of the top 2 lines doing most of the work here in this goal is extremely troubling for the Blues. For me this is the defining moment in this series thus far and unless the Blues really start to take over games, which I can't see them doing at this point because they haven't yet in the playoffs and I don't think they have the personnel, this series is pretty much over.

Yann you have a reason to be excited but don't take your excitement too far. The Rangers are a very dangerous team. They are just making a lot of mistakes via bad reads or decisions. Case in point Pageau's goal in overtime. Why did Nick Holden try to pinch on a puck he was never going to get to and have no hope to keep in? The Senators have the offense to make the Rangers pay for their mistakes in the same way that the Canadiens could not. However the Sens also rely on Anderson to cover for their defensive breakdowns of which they are rather prone to.

Finally the Caps and Pens. The Caps are playing the same way they were against the Leafs and they are just getting trounced by the Pens. Minus the final score the 2nd game statically was near perfect for the Caps. The problem is that, like in the series against the Leafs, they aren't playing at the level they should at all in terms of precision or desperation. They have yet to show much desperation in the playoffs thus far at all much less precision in their play. The Leafs gave them way more of a scare than they should have as a result and the Pens have a serious chance to sweep the Caps from the playoffs as a result. Case in point another highlight from this series that to me just defines what is wrong with the Caps play thus far. The first goal of the game of the 2nd game that Cullen scored short handed. Shattenkirk should not have turned the puck over to Cullen so easily (no effort to skate away from danger, not strong on the puck under pressure and no quick decision to toss the puck to the other side of the ice before Cullen stripped him of it) and the only player that rushed to help was Oshie. The player at the point on the other side of the blue line against the boards when the trouble started just watched the play go the other way for a goal against when they should have rushed over to help as they more than could have with their position. The Caps just need to wake up because this is deplorable play from this team at this time of year.

Posted May 02, 2017 - 12:50 AM

TheWizard

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Reliable

I watched the third goal of the Preds live, and it was a thing of beauty!  St. Louis couldn't get the puck out of their own zone, and they weren't even killing a penalty!  Josi scored the even strength goal from the point.

Posted May 02, 2017 - 04:22 PM

rikishiyayo

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: June 2016
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationBrno, Czech Republic

Crosby and Sheary out ? Caps have finally a chance  :D

Nah, not successful, just n00b.

Looking for GHL level finnish players. If game happens to generate Laine, I call dibs on him.

Posted May 04, 2017 - 02:50 PM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCzech Republic

No they don't... lol. It's the off-season, which is the time of the year, when Caps play even worse than the pre-season. I don't get it. They put it all there... they got Justin Williams, Oshie, Shatty, those guys should be up to the task to step up, when the original core around Ovi shit their pants in playoff. But it is still not enough. They just have been infected.

Posted May 04, 2017 - 03:03 PM

IneffableLeafs

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: July 2016
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada
The Leafs would have killed Pittsburgh, no doubt about that (I assure you that no sarcasm was involved in this post).

Posted May 08, 2017 - 09:24 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • 17 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

So Nashville beat St. Louis in 6 games to move on. That wasn't a surprise at all to me. It was good to finally see St. Louis push back and create their own offense late in the series but it was too little too late and still wasn't ever going to be enough to really bring them back because they just couldn't sustain it in the following game.

As for the other 3 series and what I think will happen let me finish out west.

In my mind Edmonton has been largely relying on their speed and counter attack to win this series and it has been working very well for them. Were it not for 2 atrocious games by the refs they would have already won the series. Anaheim has just been flat out getting burned by Edmonton's speed continuously this series. That said they have also been forcing Edmonton into mistakes. Quite a few of them. Anaheim does not win those 2 games the refs blew without Edmonton giving up the puck in completely atrocious manners. That said Gibson just had an atrocious game himself with 3 bad goals allowed on 6 shots in a 7-1 loss to the Oilers. Anaheim is having a hard time handling Edmonton's speed but when they are applying successful pressure Edmonton is coughing up the puck with concerning regularity. Deciding the winner here is hard because Edmonton has been the more dangerous looking team with its play offensively but it has also, under pressure, turned the puck over in atrocious manners and thus more or less shoot themselves in the foot when Anaheim applies the pressure. However due to Edmonton's more common ability to take advantage of their speed with more regularity I have to think that they will win game 7. Short of bad turnovers or one goalie having a bad game.

Out East I am starting with the Rangers vs the Sens. This has been a very close series however Ottawa has only won one game outright by outplaying the Rangers. The other two they won the Rangers more accurately gave them the wins due to very sloppy play. Ottawa still has to take advantage sure and they did but it was sloppy play by the Rangers way more than good play from the Sens that won those games. That said this is a typical issue from the Rangers the past few seasons. They haven't been consistent outside of regular inconsistency. Based upon how the Rangers have been playing for most of the first two periods they have had 4 of the 5 games won. They just are getting very sloppy the more the games go on and Ottawa has been taking full advantage in a way that the Canadiens just could not. Granted the Rangers aren't dominating the Sens in most every way but a majority of the Sens best chances have been created by the Rangers rather than the Sens themselves whereas the Rangers are creating their own chances. Look at how dominant the Rangers looked in games 3 and 4. They looked the same for most of the first half of games 2 and 5 as well. They just didn't close out those games. The Rangers don't have any room for error and they can't afford to keep shooting themselves in the foot but they are fully capable of winning 2 more games in convincing fashion. I just don't think they will do it. Ottawa has shown the ability to take full advantage of the Rangers bad plays and the Rangers are just too prone to them.

Finally after about 8 playoff games the Caps started playing like they were actually in the playoffs. The Caps have been putting on a talent show the entire series yet they are down 3-2 heading into game 6. The reason they are down is simple. For the first two games of this series, and the entirety of the series before, the Caps have been relying completely on their skill without much effort to go with that skill. The Caps were playing as if it were mid January still. It took the Pens stomping them in game 2 (a game the Caps all but dominated with their skill but due to a lack of effort to do the smaller things the Pens handily won 6-2) for the Caps to realize that the playoffs started. However I think the 0-2 hole they dug themselves is too much to climb out of against the Pens. To boot even after the Caps in general started playing better Ovie has been disappearing for large stretches too often in every game thus far in the series. Hence him playing on the 3rd line in game 5. Don't get me wrong the Pens are just as skilled as the Caps but the Pens don't rely on their skill in the same way the Caps do. The Pens win by playing hard first and letting their skill take over after that. That difference is why I think the Pens will win this series.

So for the conference finals based upon what I put above I think it will be the Preds vs the Oilers and the Sens vs the Pens. I would rather see the Pens vs the Rangers simply due to the fact that those games are usually very entertaining but it would take an effort similar to what the Bruins did to win the Stanly Cup against Vigneault when he coached the Canucks. Something that the Rangers are fully capable of doing but I don't think it is likely to happen.

From there I think Nashville will be truly tested, no matter which team they face they will be tested, for the first time as the Oilers have a significantly better offense than either the Blues or the Blackhawks. (Yes I did just say that the Oilers have a much better offense than the Blackhawks. The Oilers have offensive depth beyond McDavid. The Hawks have nothing much more than an AHL team behind its top 2 lines hence why they got swept.) The Nashville D will actually have to seriously defend for the first time in the playoffs. The question is will they be able to? It was their Achilles heel during the regular season. On the other side it would be the Sens vs the Pens. This run of the Sens makes me think back to the Sens playoff run of 07 when they reached the SCF and lost to the Ducks when they arguably didn't have that good of a team. I think of this current Sens team in a similar manner. It has enough flaws that it really shouldn't be threatening to go this far but it is finding ways to do so. Which in my mind is a very mixed bag for the team. The ownership group has been demanding, if not seriously expecting, deep playoff runs for a number of seasons now even though the team just doesn't have the makeup for it quite yet. I really hope that this run does not make the ownership group feel vindicated of their lofty goals. That said it is good to see a team put in the effort and, in general despite their flaws, good quality of play get rewarded like the Sens are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users