Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium

So entering the last week and still 5 PO spots left.

Pens are on a roll, exciting times :)

Posted April 05, 2016 - 12:13 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • 12 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Stamkos out for at least 1 month! That's a big blow to the Bolts  :o

In other news, Oilers will win the Lottery once again  :mad:

Posted April 08, 2016 - 09:00 AM

jusatin

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 312 posts
  • 9 thanks
    GM Since: July 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationFinland

Steam Profile

Nah, I have hope that they wont win the lottery. They really don't need Matthews, but I'm sure they wouldn't pass on him even though Laine would be a much better fit for the team. In other news, LGR! Got the p-off spot but at what cost :/ C and Girardi out, that's gonna hurt, especially losing C. Hope Staal lives up to his expectations and Rick can finally have a good spring.. Glad we have Zucc.

Posted April 16, 2016 - 10:49 AM

Yann Rock

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: May 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

Bobby Ryan actually showed up well. If your expecting 40 goals or 90-100 point seasons your wanting too much. Ryan is capable of getting 30 goals and is good for about 60-70 points a year. He is about on par for what he is good for and is having, excluding plus minus, his best year statistically since being traded to Ottawa. The issue with Ottawa is one more high end forward to go with Turris and Ryan and some better scoring depth.

I love Bobby don't get me wrong, but he has never played to the same level that he did with the Ducks. Granted having Selanne as a linemate probably is the reason why he did so well.

I think Ottawa really needs a decent bottom pairing at D and another top 6 forward to be a decent team. We'll see if the owner is willing to spend for that this summer.

Also a veteran coach wouldn't hurt either. The coaching graveyard here is getting ridiculous. 

Posted April 16, 2016 - 11:24 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • 20 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

I love Bobby don't get me wrong, but he has never played to the same level that he did with the Ducks. Granted having Selanne as a linemate probably is the reason why he did so well.

I think Ottawa really needs a decent bottom pairing at D and another top 6 forward to be a decent team. We'll see if the owner is willing to spend for that this summer.

Also a veteran coach wouldn't hurt either. The coaching graveyard here is getting ridiculous. 

You got why Ryan had better numbers in Anaheim. He had a better team around him. However Ryan is actually a better overall player now in Ottawa than he was in Anaheim. If you expect Ryan to put up numbers like he had in Anaheim with Ottawa the way it currently is your expecting way too much. It is a heck of a good job for him to be flirting with 60 points. Especially with his C Turris having a very forgettable year.

The coaching graveyard is most likely due to ownership thinking too highly of the team and when the overly lofty expectations aren't met the coaches are getting axed. That isn't to be put on the coaches. MacLean got the Jack Adams for getting Ottawa into the playoffs as the 7th seed in 11-12. Ottawa hasn't really gotten much better since that year. Heck Cameron barely got a year and got axed because what? No miracle run like last year? Ottawa never should have been close to the playoffs last year based upon how they played for most of the year. Both MacLean and Cameron actually did a good job getting the team near if not into the playoffs when they were the head coach. What more could you want out of the coaches when they are pulling playoff appearances out of their backsides almost every year with a team that mostly shouldn't even be in the playoff picture? The management group in Ottawa needs to take a step back, get realistic with the team they have and the expectations they should have and give the next coach a realistic shot to try to grow the team. Player wise they need at least 2 defensemen with at least 1 being a top 4, a top 6 forward or two and at least 3 bottom 6 forwards.

Posted April 17, 2016 - 12:47 PM

Yann Rock

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

Watching Ryan play I always am kept wanting more. Rumours around town are that he doesn't show up to camp in the best of shape. Maybe that will change this summer. He and Zibanejad have been criticized at length for it.

As far as management goes, it has been a circus here due to Melnyk's big mouth and lack of spending. Our only hope is that he sells the team or give us the ability to spend to the cap. Firing Maclean was a huge mistake IMO and that had Melnyk's fingerprints all over it. His coaching helped us win that series against Montreal a few years back.

Now with a new GM, which was hired from within. I'm not expecting things to change that much, which is maddening. We need to surround Karlsson with better D in order to go anyhwere. The Sens goals for is not that bad but the goals against are laughable. No post season here unless that changes drastically.  

When Maclean was here, Ryan played with Turris and MacArthur and they did fairly well.

But the last few seasons he has played with Zibanejad and Hoffman and went on his yearly disappearing act at the end of the season.

Now Turris was playing injured for half the season so that didn't help and MacArthur was hurt all season.

Posted April 17, 2016 - 05:28 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 315 posts
  • 12 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Reliable

Speaking of Clarke MacArthur, why is it that so many Sabres players do better after they leave Buffalo?

MacArthur never amounted to much in Buffalo, but he is doing well in Ottawa.

Drew Stafford was a huge disappointment in Buffalo, but has been scoring in Winnipeg.

Is Buffalo that toxic?  I knew some of it had to do with coaches and management.  I never liked Darcy Regier.  Tim Murray is at least a no-nonsense guy.

Manager of:

Dunkirk Sea Hawks | GHL | Lumber
Prairie City Steers | GHL | Clapper
Otego Arrowheads | BHL | Dangles
Bushong Hill Giants | GHL | UAT Mitts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 06:26 PM

Yann Rock

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

I feel like coaching may have been the issue with MacArthur. I didn't follow him much in Buffalo, but in Toronto he was playing on the third line, but in Ottawa he plays on the first line. That may be a reason why his stats improved significantly.

Posted April 17, 2016 - 10:06 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 315 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Even in Toronto, MacArthur performed much better than his days in Buffalo.

Who will be the surprise team of 2016-2017?  Do you think Buffalo will make the playoffs next year?  How about Edmonton?

Manager of:

Posted April 18, 2016 - 12:45 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • 20 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Neither of them. Buffalo may flirt with being over 500 and Edmonton is in a perpetual rebuild with no signs of coming out yet. McDavid will be of big help but there are too many holes on that team still. If I were to look for a surprise team for next year based upon current teams I would go Arizona in the West (nearly typed Phoenix) and Carolina in the East. Why? Young rosters that got better as the year went on. Carolina even kept up a good pace after the trade deadline staying in the playoff picture until late. If the younger players continue to improve and they both get some outside help this offseason they could be the surprise teams next year. However I think it is way too early to actually pick a surprise team.

As for Buffalo no it isn't toxic nor was it ever. MacArthur was young and raw on a then not particularly good Buffalo team. Stafford was just getting to playing at the level where he is in Winnipeg when he was traded. Also Winnipeg was a better team too and Stafford could play in more of a support role rather than a lead role. Buffalo just let go a number of veterans that were key to their success in the mid 2000s and asked too much from the young players that just weren't quite ready for the roles asked of them. For both players it was a case of moving on was the best for both parties. Buffalo could focus on a whole rebuild and the players traded could further develop and fill out on better teams.

Posted April 21, 2016 - 10:02 PM

Yann Rock

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

Well goodbye Detroit. I wonder how they will do without Datsyuk next year.

Posted April 25, 2016 - 05:40 AM

koekefix

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium

Well goodbye Detroit. I wonder how they will do without Datsyuk next year.

Would be good to trade his rights + pick. Otherwise I don't see them get in the PO next season tbh.

Happy with the way my Pens are performing. Caps are next, interesting series.

Didn't expect the Isles to make it, had the Panthers in 6 in my bracket.

Posted April 25, 2016 - 09:00 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • 20 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Isles are a better team currently. Granted Greiss may be a bit of a surprise for most but I am not too surprised. He has been a very good quality #2 for a number of years now. The only thing really missing on the Isles is a true #2 C. Don't be surprised to see a lot of rumors regarding Hamonic for Nugent-Hopkins in the off-season. And don't be surprised to see it happen either. Of course that doesn't mean it will happen. On the other hand the Panthers are still largely growing. Remember that this is a team that struggled to score with regularity until later in the season when Trocheck shined as the #2 center. Of course the team will be better next year but this year the Panthers were largely a team that had to win by keeping the opposing teams best players in check and scoring when opportunity arose. Greiss prevented the Panthers opportunistic offense to take advantage by coming up big numerous times. For the Panthers to be a real dangerous team in the playoffs they need to go from an opportunistic offense to a skilled one. Opportunistic offenses fall flat against hot goalies. Skilled offenses find ways to score pretty much no matter.

About Detroit I think they will be ok without Datsyuk. The question is what player will take his spot as a go to forward. Detriot certainly has a number of options available. It is just a matter of one of them taking the spot. The forward group is not my concern with Detroit, odd as that sounds. They have a number of quality young forwards they can turn to that are expected to at least be good in the future. Neither is the goaltending. My concern is the D. They are largely consistent with good play but nobody would be willing to pick Detroit's D core as a top 10 NHL D core. Detroit is about to lean heavily on a young forward group. The D needs to be stronger to cover for that.

Posted May 26, 2016 - 09:42 AM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

I was gone away for a bit...and the Washington Caps lost?!?!?! I'm not a Caps fan, but wtf?!?

Posted May 26, 2016 - 10:35 PM

PSY140

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: December 2015
Rep - Floater
  • LocationCanada
Pens win, face sharks in final...as a Kings fan I want Penguins to win but I also want jumbo Joe and Patrick marleau to get a cup.

Posted May 27, 2016 - 12:22 AM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 315 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

I'm rooting for San Jose!  'bout time they win a cup!

Manager of:

Posted May 27, 2016 - 01:06 AM

koekefix

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium

My Pens did a hell of a job. They made it hard for themselves against the Bolts, It should have never come to a game 7. Luckily we won!

Seems like almost every neutral fan is rooting for San Jose and Joe/Patrick. I'm hoping for a good series and a Pens win of course.

Posted May 27, 2016 - 11:48 AM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

I don't want the Pens to win, thus....

Go Sharks Go!!!

Posted May 27, 2016 - 01:05 PM

Tutankhamen

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Let's go Pens!

Posted June 09, 2016 - 08:46 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 315 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Game 5 happening right now, crazy start to this game!  5 goals in the first period!  Can the Pens seal the deal in Pittsburgh?  Who will win the Conn Smythe?

Bringing this back to GPHM, it would be cool to have trophies to hand out at the end of each season, similar to the Vezina, Norris, Hart, Calder, et al.  I'm sure this is in the pipeline. :)

Manager of:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users