TheWizard

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Reliable

What?  No love for Buffalo?  We'll take Matthews! :)

Posted March 15, 2016 - 04:42 AM

koekefix

Assistant GM

• Moderators
  • 159 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationBelgium

You guys are well sorted at center for a while. Leafs can use Matthews more imo.

Posted March 15, 2016 - 11:31 AM

canucks

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • 12 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Reliable

Hey, hey. Matthews is a Leaf. Hands off! :P

Posted March 16, 2016 - 12:09 AM

TheWizard

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Reliable

I agree, the Sabres have great young talent at center, but Matthews is American, surely he would rather play for an American team. :)

Honestly, I would be OK if Matthews goes anywhere except Edmonton.  In recent years, Edmonton always seems to win the lottery, it's time for someone else to pick #1.

Posted March 16, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Chris

GM Games

• Administrators
  • 538 posts
  • 18 thanks
    GM Since: June 2011
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCanada

Steam Profile

Are people using the nickname 'Eichel Tower' now? :)

Posted March 16, 2016 - 01:29 PM

bwgrim

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: May 2015
Rep - Helpful
Edmonton reminds me of post-Lebron Cleveland when they kept getting the top pick and doing nothing in terms of actually improving.

Also, that's a solid nickname lol.

Posted March 16, 2016 - 05:33 PM

TheWizard

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Did you make up Jack's new nickname, Chris?  I haven't heard it before. :)

Posted March 16, 2016 - 07:28 PM

canucks

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

#historyinthemaking

Posted March 17, 2016 - 03:11 AM

koekefix

Assistant GM

• Moderators
  • 159 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationBelgium

Flyers coming up strong, Avs as well. Going to be very exciting the next days/weeks. I'm hoping my Pens will make the PO. If Wings miss the PO it would be the end of an era.

Posted March 17, 2016 - 12:09 PM

canucks

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Wings have made it for how many years straight?

Posted March 17, 2016 - 05:08 PM

Chris

GM Games

• Administrators
  • 538 posts
  • 18 thanks
    GM Since: June 2011
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCanada

Steam Profile

Did you make up Jack's new nickname, Chris?  I haven't heard it before. :)

I heard it a few times on Canadian sports highlights

Posted March 18, 2016 - 04:19 AM

koekefix

Assistant GM

• Moderators
  • 159 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationBelgium

Wings have made it for how many years straight?

I thought 20 and then I googled it:

https://en.wikipedia...earance_streaks

24 it is.

Posted March 18, 2016 - 12:34 PM

canucks

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

I thought 20 and then I googled it:

https://en.wikipedia...earance_streaks

24 it is.

Wow. Yeah, it'd be pretty devastating for them if they didn't make it.

Apparently the NHL is worried about Canadians not watching the playoffs since its prob gonna be all-American teams....what do u guys think?

I'm Canadian(Leafs fan)...I'll prob still watch most of the games...especially after my finals exams are done for Uni on the 21st.

Posted March 18, 2016 - 03:53 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • 17 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

The St. Louis Blues I think has the longest streak of a new team making the playoffs in successive years at I think 25 or so. Just checked and yes 25 years and it ended in the 04 season. The Blues have missed the playoffs only 5 times in their history. For the record as of current the Canadians have only missed the playoffs 15 times in their 106 year history. The two most successful teams in North American sports history when looked at making the playoffs in terms of percentage to seasons played are the Canadians and the Blues. The two longest streaks to of making the sports playoffs also belong to NHL teams. The Bruins at 29 and the Blackhawks at 28. Detroit's 24 season streak would be 4th, or at least tied for 4th at 24. The Canadians then have the tie with Detroit at 24 and have another at 21. They would combine for 46 if they hadn't missed the playoffs in the 69-70 season. The reason the Canadiens missed the 69-70 playoffs, and thus the 69-70 playoffs being the only NHL playoffs played thus far without any Canadian teams, is a very interesting situation. Montreal played nearly the last 9 minutes of the final game (believed to be the longest stretch a team has played with the goalie pulled) that year with an empty net just to try to get 2 more goals against the Chicago Black Hawks and preceded to score none losing 10-2 with 5 empty netters against. Why? 3 or more goals would have given the tiebreaker to the Canadians and they would have made the playoffs. Whereas the team they were fighting to get the last spot for, the New York Rangers, beat the Detroit Red Wings 9-5 against a very hungover Red Wings team who partied heavily the night before for making the playoffs for the first time in 3 years. By the way the Red Wings scored 2 empty net goals as the Rangers pulled their goalie with a 9-3 lead late in the third in an attempt to score more goals. Yes the Rangers had the lead and still pulled the goalie to try to score more goals at the end of the game. Tiebreaker rules lead to some very interesting decisions that season.

The first non NHL team shows up at 22 with the Syracuse Nationals (What never heard of them?) and the Philadelphia 76ers (who is the current incarnation of the Syracuse Nationals) combined as one franchise.

Coming back to modern times I don't think it will be much of an impact that no Canadian team makes the playoffs. More a statistical footnote that it would only be the second time in history that it happened.

Posted March 18, 2016 - 11:14 PM

TheWizard

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Woo!  Let's go Cuse!

The Nationals were a hit wayyyy back in the day.  I only know this because I attended college in Syracuse. :)

Getting back to hockey, what does Montreal have to do next year to rebound?  I mean, come on, they get off to a stellar start this season only to fall apart after the midway point.  Is missing Carey Price really the reason they faltered?

Posted March 19, 2016 - 05:30 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • 17 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Yes. Carey Price is the only reason the Canadians have been a dangerous playoff team for years. Look at what happened when Price got injured in the playoffs against the Rangers. They suddenly looked very average as the goal tending wasn't capable of covering for the defensive deficiencies. The Canadians, for the entire length of time they have had Price, have never been a team capable of winning the Stanley Cup. They have never had a #1 center during Price's tenure, they have been very thin up front since they last had Koivu, Gomez and Plekanec as their #1,2 and 3 centers and they have never had a solid #1 D pairing since forever too. No, Markov and Subban are nowhere near a top D pairing. Markov is well past his prime and was at his best a decent top pairing offensive defenseman. Those at his best days are well past him. He is currently at best a good 2nd pair NHL offensive defenseman. What makes it worse is the only options to play on the first pair with Subban is him or Petry. Neither are 1st pair talents currently.  They don't have a shutdown defenseman to pair with Subban, as I have just pointed out, nor a shutdown forward line either. For the past 7+ seasons they have been the Columbus Blue Jackets equivalent in talent in terms of players (that isn't a bad thing at all as the Blue Jackets are capable of just getting into the playoffs if they can stay healthy) with the best goalie in the world backstopping them.

Edit: Also tactically they play a defense first system. They have to with the roster they currently have. It, by far, gives them the best chance of winning.

Edit 2: As for what they have to do. A lot that can not be done. They need a #1 C. Plekanec is at best a #2 and Galchenyuk has yet to develop into a #2 C yet (while he can play as a 2nd line winger he still lacks the consistency. Also he really should have been in the minors/AHL in the first two seasons but due to no forward depth on the Canadians they had to play him in the NHL) while Eller is finally showing 3rd line center ability on a regular basis and Desharnais is nothing more than a 3rd line playmaker at best. The only real first line forward the team has is Pacioretty with Gallagher the only other forward that is capable of playing 1st line but I think is much better suited on the 2nd. Defensively they have Subban who is a bona fide 1st pairing D. After that they have Petry, Markov and Emelin who are all at best 2nd pair defensemen with Gilbert and Beaulieu the best third pairing they have in my opinion. They are a respectable team defensively with pretty much no offense behind its first line that in of itself is lacking quite a bit.

Edit 3: The Canadians fell apart about 1 month into the season when Price got hurt. The second he got hurt the team started to really struggle and they have been since.

Posted March 19, 2016 - 02:06 PM

canucks

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

^

He just picked apart the Canadiens bone by bone! :D

Posted March 21, 2016 - 05:50 AM

koekefix

Assistant GM

• Moderators
  • 159 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationBelgium

Canadians breath hockey so they will watch the PO for sure. Happy with how the Pens are acting in money time now. Big wins against Flyers and Caps. Canada needs some teams stepping up, definitely!

Posted March 21, 2016 - 08:48 PM

Yann Rock

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: May 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

Well no miracle run this year by the Sens. Not enough Hamburglar and a typical no show season by Bobby Ryan.

Poor Karlsson is wasting what was probably a career year in points. On the plus side we solidified our D. with Phaneuf. 

Hope MacArthur is good for next season and that they add a few pieces in the off season.

Posted March 21, 2016 - 11:36 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • 17 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Bobby Ryan actually showed up well. If your expecting 40 goals or 90-100 point seasons your wanting too much. Ryan is capable of getting 30 goals and is good for about 60-70 points a year. He is about on par for what he is good for and is having, excluding plus minus, his best year statistically since being traded to Ottawa. The issue with Ottawa is one more high end forward to go with Turris and Ryan and some better scoring depth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users