GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationSri Lanka

I play this everyday, but I also don't need or want a game that requires much more time or attention than it already has.  15-30 mins top in any one day.  If we are required to manage several teams daily, etc, then this moves beyond the casual gamer category.  We just had three teams switch users in the past week in my league, which shows that almost 20% of our league found it too much work or effort to commit to.  Although we can't make 100% of the people happy, we don't want people to be drawn to this awesome product Anders has created to only bail after 2-3 weeks b/c it requires too much effort and b/c people that have 2-3 hours a day to devote to this will always be consistently better.  

I like the farm system idea.  Put my forever scratched players somewhere and hope they improve, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to get involved beyond sending them down or calling them up.  Let the computer manage that team.  If each team had one farm league team (and I like the max contracts idea!) or even if several teams shared a computer managed Farm Team League, you'd accomplish the goals without adding much time factor in day-to-day management.  

I like the draft idea, but how would that work since we are all in different time zones, many don't seem to log on everyday, etc.?  How would you automate it so it doesn't go on for many, many days waiting for one team to make their picks?  I actually like scouring the FA lists for new youngsters during the first few days of each season just fine.  It's serves a similar function as drafting and the season isn't held up on non-involved owners.  

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted January 18, 2016 - 11:57 PM

bwgrim

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: May 2015
Rep - Helpful

+1

Posted January 19, 2016 - 12:19 AM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • 12 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Reliable

+1

Posted January 19, 2016 - 12:45 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • 18 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

I like the draft idea, but how would that work since we are all in different time zones, many don't seem to log on everyday, etc.?  How would you automate it so it doesn't go on for many, many days waiting for one team to make their picks?  I actually like scouring the FA lists for new youngsters during the first few days of each season just fine.  It's serves a similar function as drafting and the season isn't held up on non-involved owners.  

There was a good hockey manager game that went under due to lack of interest from the people running it and it had an independent draft for every league in the game. When I say every league there was one game world with a lot of countries (30+ including US, Canada, Russia et cetera with a world cup that was played every season too) with their own league in it. Each league was structured like here except if there was enough population in one countries league after tier 1 there were 2 tier 2 leagues 4 tier 3 8 tier 4... The US league had 5 tiers for example. That alone is 31 drafts to sim through. That is a lot of leagues to run drafts for and the lot in the entire game.

However to the important bit about how the draft would work. Have the draft sim like it would the games. It would be the only way. How do we pick players? By giving us a draft board and ordering the players on there. Obviously there is the plan for scouting however that will come later by the looks of the plans. So on this draft board you can look at the players (How much is shown should be debated. See everything with everything precise when scouted or just certain things like best skills and personal traits and a general range of what they are that would get smaller the more the player is scouted.) and order them based upon what you want. The game will draft players via the draft board order for each team and when it gets to your time to pick the game will give you the highest player on your draft board remaining.

As for the mention you made of the farm system there are positives and negatives to having a "detached" farm system vs an "attached" one. Detached being what you suggested where the farm teams are independent CPU teams and attached where they are the teams in a lower league than you. Attached is potentially a lot of hassle and annoyance on both sides. You are the farm team of some other guy who sends a player down to play on your team when you already have a group of players that you want to play. Alternately you have a player you want to play that won't be able to make your lineup you have to find a suitable farm team which invests time.

This game already is pretty much ideal in time investment though. Granted we do not know why the players left however requiring more time to invest will only cause less to play. (FTR: We just had the year 1 GHL cup winners leave the game in Biscut due to absence from team.) It is safe to say that is not a good thing especially considering the population for a game like this (online PC hockey management game) is only in the thousands world wide at its highest. At least I have never seen a game like this have a population higher than the thousands. Some people just want the basic GM/coach experience without the added ownership hassle. Others love micromanaging every detail and thus want the whole ownership experience. What we currently have is the basic model and oh is it great and well done Anders. However we are talking about potentially adding some owner type stuff in down the road that requires more time investment. If we do add that stuff (and I say why not so long as...) we need to be careful not to force it to have to be done by everyone. This is where Anders may have done a brilliant thing either by design or by accident as the solution is right in front of us for that if things become too difficult to create a for everybody world. Create multiple worlds where one is GM/coach and the other is owner.

Posted January 19, 2016 - 02:55 AM

GamePlanHockey

Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1064 posts
  • 130 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

Totally agree with you all. The continuos goal is to keep this game easy to play but at the same time generate a rich and realistic experience. That's why farm teams most likely won't be controlled by the manager. It would be to time consuming. Farm teams will probably be auto assigned each season but I like the idea to have the farm teams within the league structure since it would be most realistic. But the idea of restrictions regarding number of players sent down may be a good idea actually.

Regarding draft so is @rainsilent spot on. The idea is to have managers create a wish list of prospects before the draft is held. Then the draft is simulated at a specific time using those wish lists to draft players automatically. It would to much of a hassle to have a live draft. Maybe sometime down the road but not right now.

I'm also looking to create options for letting the assistant manager (computer) handle more duties in the team such as lineup creation, contract negotiations and so on. That way the human manager can decide how much time he or she would like to spend in the game.

Loving the feedback guys!

Posted January 25, 2016 - 05:36 AM

jusatin

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 229 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: July 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationFinland

Steam Profile

How are we going with the tactics updates we had a discussion about maybe three months ago (could be more can't remember)?

The basic idea was that you could set a different offense and defense strategy to every line in your team (one could be crash the net, one could be dumb and chase etc.) since at the moment you being able to only set 1 tactic for your entire team is quite limiting in terms of team diversity. Personally I'd like to see this type of improvements made first, instead of adding new features (such as draft) to the game. Of course I have nothing against draft and I actually like the way it is getting shaped into. But would just like to have more control over my team. (We also talked about individual player tactics but that's way down the road I know.)

Posted January 25, 2016 - 09:53 AM

Yann Rock

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: May 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

I'm very excited for the draft and farm teams.

This game is becoming the best Gm game ever made :)

Thanks for all your hard work

Posted February 22, 2016 - 09:11 AM

koekefix

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium

I'm very excited for the draft and farm teams.

This game is becoming the best Gm game ever made :)

Thanks for all your hard work

Couldn't agree more!

Just curious if there is any news on the coming updates?

Thanks!

Posted February 27, 2016 - 06:14 PM

xZhou

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Floater

Any news, Anders? 

Posted February 29, 2016 - 12:02 PM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1064 posts
  • 130 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden
I've had a very limited time developing the game lately. A small update v1.0.2 is coming soon though with some performance fixes. After that I will begin developing draft feature.

Posted April 06, 2016 - 12:22 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Hiya Anders,

I know you've been busy, but could we get a quick update on where things are at when you've got the time?

Posted April 07, 2016 - 01:57 AM

koekefix

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium

Hiya Anders,

I know you've been busy, but could we get a quick update on where things are at when you've got the time?

+1

Posted April 08, 2016 - 01:48 PM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1064 posts
  • 130 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden
Sorry for the lack of updates lately!

I'm about half way done with the upcoming release. I've just finished the creation of junior leagues and players. Players will now enter the game at age 15 and play three years in the junior leagues before being drafted. Junior leagues will be available in multiple countries. I've also finished an extension of the Team spirit impact to the game. The previous Team morale are now replaced with Team confidence, Teamwork and Winner instinct. In addition to this there have been a couple of changes to player traits. The traits Potential and Greed will now be hidden values and one new trait; Ego will be available. This new trait will play an important role when putting the perfect team together.

Next I will focus on the draft itself and player rights restrictions for players being drafted but not signed.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted April 08, 2016 - 02:01 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Thanks for the update, sounds great! Seems like quite a few changes are coming our way. I'm sure you'll explain them more as they get released.

GL with the draft! Have you decided how our Minor Leagues will work(there was quite a bit of discussion on this topic, but no definitive posts from you)?

Posted April 08, 2016 - 02:04 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Btw, if potential is hidden, how will we sorta know what potential a player has....just training/playing them for a season or two and making an educated guess? Or will there be other factors that'll sort of hint at the potential instead of just telling us straightup like it does now?

Posted April 08, 2016 - 02:12 PM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1064 posts
  • 130 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden
The potential may be guessed by looking at the player reputation and previous progress of the player ratings. It won't tell you straight up. Just like in real life you'll have make educated guess and hope for the best :-)

Nothing is yet decided about the minor leagues since they won't be included in the upcoming release. But I'm leaning towards creating a separate minor league where teams are only computer controlled.

Posted April 08, 2016 - 03:29 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

So in the draft, we'll be taking a huge risk with the rookies, since they haven't got that history? Or I guess its fine since they're coming into the game as 15yo now....we just gotta scout those Leagues beforehand...will we get like a list of the prospects available to be drafted the upcoming season beforehand so we can check them out ourselves and plan?

And kk, so for now...whoever we draft will stay on our team.

Sorry for the repeated questions, no rush...answer them whenever you've got time(I'm sure all questions will be answered when you explain the features before release anyways)...I've got exams right now, so should probably be focusing on that anyways ;P

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:51 PM

Nicolas Senet

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • 10 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Thanks for the update.  Can't wait till next release. 

Posted April 10, 2016 - 04:05 PM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1064 posts
  • 130 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

Yes, the players will enter at age 15 so history will be available. At least after a couple of season after the feature release. When first released this feature will add both 15,16 and 17 year olds at the same time. So the first draft will therefor have limited history.

Before each draft a list of prospect rankings will be released (very much like the NHL Draft Prospect Rankings list). The list will be released in three versions; Initial (beginning of season), Midterm (Mid season) and Final (at the end of the season). Your assistant manager will also recommend prospects depending on your set transfer needs.

Posted April 10, 2016 - 04:43 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Sounds great! Honestly, I can't wait to be able to draft players and I'm sure others are excited as well! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users