Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1181 posts
  • 136 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

**Updated: 13th June 2017

Comment: I've just released the v1.2.2 update containing a new set of tools to help me revert transactions. The update also contains a few improvements to prevent cheating. Check the change log for more details.

To let you all know what's going on and what's planned for the future I'm going to share the current road map for the game in this topic. The road map is subject to change but here's what planned at the moment. Note that the road map only addresses new features, bug fixes will be done continuously.

v1.3 - Farm/Affiliation teams (End of summer 2017)

Affiliation teams will be part of the already existing leagues AAHL and AAHL2 (American Affiliation Hockey Leagues) and will be controlled by the computer. All teams (GHL,SHL,BHL,IHL,LIHL) will be offered to create an affiliate team at AAHL2 level. GHL and SHL teams will also be offered to create an additional affiliate at AAHL level. Even though the affiliation teams will be computer controlled they will use the same tactics as the original team. This way assigned players will train and develop their skills according to the manager's preferences.

All contracted players with two-way contracts can be assigned to the affiliation teams, regardless of age. Salaries of players assigned to affiliation teams will also be lowered against the salary cap allowing more players on the roster.

But I'm also playing around with the idea to put players out for loan to be able to let them play for another team within the same competition, i.e an SHL team loaning a player to BHL level. If this is going to be included in the first release or not I'm not sure right now. It really comes down to the amount of time I can put in.

I'm thinking of extend and improve the player potential value. I have some ideas I want to try out.

v1.3.1 - League and playoffs enhanced (Q4 2017)

I'm not happy with the current playoff experience. Much can be done here. I'm looking to add best of seven games in GHL playoffs. I also going to add more player achievements such as All star game, League awards and more.

v1.3.2 - Extended player happiness (Q4 2017)

There are plans on extending the player happiness to include on how well players like each other, line chemistry, role expectations and such to influence the general happiness of the player. 

v1.4 - Staff (??)

Yet again, I think this one will have to wait.

I've been planning to add this feature for a long long time. But other things always gets in the way. The hiring of staff will open up a new dimension to the game where coaches can give valuable details from each game, scouts to reveal opponents tactics or find players that suits the team's needs. I'm also looking to add more staff members like doctors to improve healing of injuries, agents to negotiate contracts, mental coaches to train player traits.

v1.5 - Live games (??)

I really would love to introduce live games, or at least viewable games. I'm a big fan of text based game engines (like in the early manager games) where you get comments of what's happening continuously throughout the game. I don't think you'll ever see this game with 3D rendered hockey players.

Questions or comments? Feel free to add to this topic.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Posted January 16, 2016 - 12:57 PM

GoodMeanshelf

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: December 2015
Rep - Reliable

Hopefully the youth draft will help balance the teams especially in game world duster. Its kind of rediculous how bad some teams are. Its a full team of 80 overalls vs an almost team of 91+ when I play. The all star game would basiclly be gators vs angels at this point, so the draft would help make every team have at least one good player.

Playoffs is kind of boring when its best of 3, so its great your fixing that as well. Usually you sleep one day and wake up and see you won the series, and that isnt very intense at all. Would be great if that in fast game worlds, GHL finals would be 24 hrs/game instead of 6 hrs/game

Posted January 16, 2016 - 01:54 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • 12 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Reliable

Sounds great, thanks for the update!

Posted January 16, 2016 - 02:03 PM

Nicolas Senet

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Reliable
That seems like a really cool project. Farm teams is an excellent idea. Is the world drafting system will be included with the official release or later?

Posted January 16, 2016 - 02:04 PM

Nicolas Senet

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Reliable
Forget my question about non playable team. You already answered.

Posted January 16, 2016 - 03:08 PM

Scorevat53

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Helpful
The European leagues are really cool as ive already experienced them already. It makes FA more challenging because they sign players from the original FA and you have to search their teams to find good players.

Question: When Farm teams are added does that mean that a GM we dont know would be controlling those teams if its not a computer? And If so does the GHL teams have most control or how will that work? Because if the SHL team wins the league and advances does that mean your farm team change? Plus one worry would be that if i sent down a prospect to the SHL or BHL and it was controlled by a computer team. Id be scared they would yry trading or releasing that player. Otherwise I love the plans made for this game

Posted January 16, 2016 - 05:03 PM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1181 posts
  • 136 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden
Great questions. Here's some quick answers.

1) Yes, a human manager may be in control of the farm team
2) As you're saying, the farm team may advance so the farm teams has to renewed each season.
3) Farm teams doesn't have control of your players in regard of trading or releasing. Only in lineup assignments.

Posted January 16, 2016 - 05:33 PM

jusatin

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 300 posts
  • 9 thanks
    GM Since: July 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationFinland

Steam Profile

How are the farm teams going to work, will they be assigned as random or do the players have few days during the silly season to find a suitable farm team? I mean, if you play puck control hockey and want your young player to be trained in certain offense and PP or PK tactics, but your farm team doesn't play them, then there's not much reason to send the players down?

Posted January 17, 2016 - 02:58 AM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1181 posts
  • 136 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

Great input jusatin. I've actually played around with idea to have managers send farm team invitations to others and if no farm team is assigned before season start one will automatically be assigned. But even if the farm team doesn't play your exact tactic it's far better to have you players playing games than to be a healthy scratch on your own team. But of course, it would be great to have the farm team play the same tactic as your own.

Posted January 17, 2016 - 02:47 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

What about having "non-playable" teams attached to each team serving as farm teams? Same concept in that they won't be able to trade/cut players(maybe we can control our farm teams lineups or make that automatic based on what type of tactics we choose or something...). That way, we won't have to attach our teams with random other people's teams....

I guess with that though, you'd have to have a sort of fully non-playable computer-controlled "farm league" attached to each league....

That will also eliminate the new farm teams every season...that'd be hectic with having to make sure that all of our players come back to us and then we would have to send them down to our new farm teams......couple that with the promotion/demotion of teams and you could have a large mess if some error occurs.

Not sure if other people agree with me or can convince me otherwise :D

Posted January 17, 2016 - 03:02 PM

Big-Bobby Clobber

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • 6 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Reliable

Hello Anders.  Thanks for everything you do for this game. Just a few ideas:

I can see a few problems with having a potential competitor, managing his future competitors farm team. Mainly that once he is promoted to the GHL, he will lose some significant players, and the better he treats those farm players, the more difficult his future path will be.

What about having a parallel farm system, with AA and AAA farm teams that only the GHL managers control, and is not playable to non-GHL managers. Basically: each team has a tier 1, and a tier 2 team permanently attached to it.

EX: all BHL teams' farm teams play against each other. When a BHL team graduates to SHL, it's farm teams will now play against all the other SHL farm teams. 

Difficult because this might require doubling, or tripling the quantity of -80 level players in each game world. Trade limitations would have to be expanded to two or three levels up and/or down.  Some GHL managers might get irritated by receiving offers from BHL managers whom are trying to pick the bones of their farm-system.

Much to ponder...

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted January 17, 2016 - 03:22 PM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1181 posts
  • 136 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

I understand your points regarding separate farm leagues. I thought of this as well. But the main reason why I don't think it's a good idea is that I don't find the full realism of those kind of leagues. What I mean is, a farm team to a GHL team would most likely contain players with an overall around 75. Since the farm team most likely wont get enough players from the parent team to create a full line up the farm team must sign players of their own. So the question is; why would a player of overall 75 sign with a farm team in a non competitive league when he could sign for a SHL team in a professional league. The realism of every aspect is very important to me and is one of four core values of this game.

But I certainly get the point of having full control of your players. Nothing is entirely decided yet and I will of course take your input in to consideration.

Really appreciate all your feedback in this topic!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted January 17, 2016 - 03:34 PM

canucks

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • 12 thanks
Rep - Reliable

That point is valid as well....maybe create a pool of players that can only sign with these non-playable farm teams? But then, I guess they would still be able to find their way into our leagues if we call them up(I've still not fully understood which players we can call up....only the ones with two-way contracts? Aren't all farm team players with two-way contracts though...?)? It would eradicate the problem of players not wanting to sign with farm teams though....

Obviously, I don't know enough about coding and stuff to know how much memory, time, and effort this would require....I'm just throwing ideas out there :)

Posted January 17, 2016 - 08:17 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • 19 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

What Anders is going after regarding farm teams is something akin to loans in Soccer or more appropriately Futball in combination with what you see with the NHL-AHL-ECHL.

Say a team from the Barclays Premier league has a promising young player however don't have the ability to give them regular playing time. They would offer the player on loan and a team would approach with a loan offer. If accepted the player would play for that team for the year. The caveat here I would think is that you could call the player up if you needed or wanted to.

Why I put it this way is because obviously the human farm teams would change every year due to promotions and demotions. Thus while having the NHL-AHL-ECHL system in terms of having a minor system the teams will likely change on a regular basis. There is a potentially great plus side to this as well. It gets managers in contact with each other creating a pseudo mentoring system. Bolstering the community in a way like this could be a great thing.

However there are also 2 great potential flaws. 1. We could potentially be dealing with an extremely high number of players being introduced and thus have a player saturation issue. 2. It could create a domino effect of GHL sends prospects down to x league farm team, x league farm team sends down players to y league farm team, y league farm team sends down players to... This has 2 issues going on. Teams are essentially not playing their own players and it really messes with league balance saturating the lower leagues with higher league players.

Thus I would really think it critical to potentially limit the number of players you could send down to farm teams along with restricting the skill of the player.

However an idea regarding the draft. Have one draft for all of the leagues. How would this work to where you can ensure talent gets to the lower leagues? Grade the prospects A, B and C for each league is one potential way. Why A, B and C? Anders suggested a 3 round draft. You can only draft from the A grade prospects in the 1st round, the B in the first or second and the C in all three. A grade would or could be different in each league though so it would be a bit complicated. This system would also go a way into preventing player over saturation.

Edit: as for calling up I would think anybody you send down you can call up and that you could only send down two way players.

Edited by rainsilent, January 17, 2016 - 08:55 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted January 17, 2016 - 08:22 PM

GoodMeanshelf

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Reliable
@above maybe have a limit of how many players you can have under contract like the nhl irl to prevent the domino effect of teams sending guys down? Just a thought

Posted January 17, 2016 - 09:04 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • 19 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

NHL has limits of 20-50. I don't see any reason for a game where teams get regulated and promoted to have 50. Maybe have the cap at 30?

Posted January 17, 2016 - 10:35 PM

GoodMeanshelf

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Reliable
30 would be a good number, nhl teams usually fill the full farm team, i dont think in this case we are going to need to fill up a full team with young prospects

Posted January 17, 2016 - 10:57 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • 19 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

An elaboration on my ABC draft idea. This is just me basically running with the ABC idea through what it could look like.

What makes a player A, B or C grade? Potential+ambition. Both potential and ambition have 5 levels with the lowest level giving 1 "point" and the highest 5. Say A level players have a combination of 9 points or better. B has 5-8 points and C has 4 or fewer.

There are 16 teams in each league. So for the lowest league to be able to get such players there have to be at least 80 players in each group. However the players overalls have to be high enough to be an impact in the GHL but not too has as not to want to play in the LIHL. A simple solution could be have player overall in each category spread across the ranges of say 80-50 with GHL teams not being able to pick players with overall below say 65, SHL 60 and BHL 55 if necessary. There is an issue with just 80 players in each pool however. It leaves the last few teams with very little choice if any. They have to have a choice however we have to avoid player over saturation. Thus have maybe 100 total players in each pool with the leftover players going to FA and to avoid player over saturation have players retire after being in FA for 2 straight off-seasons.

The only issues with the proposal above regarding the players themselves is that first the 3rd round players are essentially throwaways. That isn't good. However the isn't good goes beyond that. Second if the A group is 9 or better it means that the players are either 9 or 10 totals. That is pretty much a guarantee that every year we are getting 100 players that will be elite at some point. That creates an over saturation of skill which isn't good either. Thus my recommendation is have A be 6 or better, B be 4-7 and C be 5 and lower. The little overlap between each gives the opportunity for "busts" and "gems." On top of it have 20 or fewer players be within the top 2 points of at least A class to make those Crosby like players a bit harder to find. This means of the 100 A class players only 20 at most will have totals of 10 or 9 while all of the rest will be 6-8.

Posted January 17, 2016 - 11:16 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • 19 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Part 2 of elaboration to avoid 1 long post for those that like shorter posts.

As for the players when they get drafted they immediately go to the roster of the team that drafted them. The contract length and pay is a big deal here. 1 year will be too short and 3 million is way too much for a rookie contract in the GHL. Thus 2 or 3 year deals at 1% of the league cap would be around ideal I think. However a team has to also be given the option to cut the player for free if they just either don't have the room or don't see a fit with the player. At least until we are about a week into the season.

The draft order should be straight forward. Leagues draft GHL down in reverse order of final results from the season. Only in the GHL could this potentially not be in the reverse 16-1 order. The last 8 teams in the GHL draft should be determined by playoff finish order in my opinion but for simplicity sake can be done in reverse standings order. Also I would advise that draft picks not be trade able at least with AI teams if they are even available at all.

Please note that these are just ideas that I threw together with my opinion on what would be better within this idea. My opinion does not mean it is the best way to go or do it. I did only throw this idea together in about 2 hours after all give or take too. There will be things I overlooked and things I may not have thought through fully creating problems. That is fine as I just wanted to give one possible idea on what the draft could be like. Make your own suggestions or changes to this one. The more different ideas the better in my mind.

Posted January 18, 2016 - 01:41 PM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1181 posts
  • 136 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden
There are some truly great ideas here. It's not easy to get this perfect (if even possible). I think the European leagues will help prevent the over saturation issue and if possible I would really love to have only one draft. But I agree that the drafting round order is difficult to get right. I have some ideas I'll post later. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users