Sign in to follow this  
Alan Jobb

NBA 2k11

first things first - I am a coach/gm guy - i have next to no interest in joystick games (which shows how old I am because no one calls it a joytsick anymore)

but I would add nba2k11 as a game GM games follows because of its excellent coach mode.

For players like myself and presumably people who would come to a site called gm games - nba 2k11 is an excellent basketball sim. Its franchise mode is good (although not as good ad DDS) but the real strength is in game. You can set your playbook and settings and call plays when appropriate, however players will take advantage and use their strengths for example on fast break opportunities. finds just the right balance between coach control and player autonomy. It also has excellent defensive options for double teams, cross match ups, ball denial.

finally it has very sensitive sliders to get the game just right - we have all experienced moving a Madden Penalty slider all the way to 100 and seeing no difference at all in the number of penalties. But the sliders in this game are very responsive and when you make a change, especially a dramatic one it is immediate noticeable. I am still tweaking my sliders and will post here when I find a set that is producing good accurate results.

my one negative critique (and an area that DDS far outshines it) is the trade finder makes it far too easy to build your roster, move bad contracts and acquire franchise players. I find that I need to avoid the temptation (as I do in OOTP) to avoid using it to make the GM aspect more realistic.

Agreed!

Just because a game isn't a text based sim doesn'r mean its not a sim.

NBA2k is the exact evidence of this. When you make a game so deep that the career mode plays like a text based sim and the gameplay is better than any other game ever made in the game it is scary for developers of other things...

NBA2k11 has a very good AI, A deep franchise mode. I play NBA2k11 as my basketball sim cause I don't know any basketball simulators that are this good and I don't ever play the game in my dynasty cause I am terrible at the game.

Hope they do same kind of wonders to NHL2K13, they're keeping a break and won't release it for 2012 season. Jeez I need stop bringing hockey up on every possible thread :P

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this