Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1040 posts
  • 124 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

# Player contracts

In order for a player to play for a team he must have a valid contract. A contract is made up by a salary ($), contract length (years) and contract clauses. The contract details of a player can be found on the *Transfer tab* on the *Player page*. To offer a contract you’ll use action menu on the *Player page*.

## Clauses
A contract may contain any of the following clauses.

### One way contract
A *one way contract* means that the player may never move downward league levels. This means that if the team is relegated the player will automatically be released. 

The player won’t be possible to include in a trade with a team in lower level.

**Note** This clause was formerly known as *Release on relegation*

### Promotion contract
A *promotion contract* clause will increase the player’s salary if his team is promoted to a higher league. The new salary is calculated so that the player will keep the same percentage salary cap impact. E.g. if the player’s salary was 10% of the cap limit in the previous league his new salary will be 10% of the new league’s salary cap.

However, if the new salary exceeds the base salary of the new league level the raise will instead become a 25% raise.

If a player with a *promotion contract clause* is traded to a team in a higher league level the contract clause will activate just as if his team hade been promoted.

Once the *promotion contract clause* have been activated it will be removed from the player’s contract.

**Note** This clause was formerly known as *Salary raise on promotion*.

## Salary cap
The total salaries of a team may never exceed the current league’s salary cap limit. The current salary cap situation is displayed on the *Team info tab* on the *Team page*.

The current salary cap limits is as of today:
* Golden Hockey League (GHL) - $60.000.000
* Silver Hockey League (SHL) - $15.000.000
* Bronze Hockey League (BHL) -  $4.500.000
* Iron Hockey League (IHL) -  $1.500.000
* Lower Iron Hockey League (LIHL) -    $750.000

## Contract happiness
At first the player will be happy with his contract but this might change depending on certain situations. The current contract happiness can be found on *Transfer tab* on the *Player page* under the General happiness section.

An unhappy player will have a worse game performance so it’s wise to keep your players happy.

If the player develops faster than your team is promoting through the league levels he might begin to have higher salary demands or even want to move to a bigger club. This might make him unhappy so it might be a good idea to either offer a new contract or trade the player to another team.

The player’s salary demands might also change if your team have been promoted to a higher league and he’s comparing his salary to other players in the same league.

## Offering an extension
A player with one year remaining of his contract will become a free agent the very last day of the season if he has not signed a new contract before that. You will get a reminder when the season is closing to its end on which players that have contracts about to end.

An extension may only be offered during the last year of the player's contract. If agreed the extension will be put as a pending contract and will take effect once the current contract ends.

## Contract negotiations
When offering a contract to a player he will first let you know of his demands, both salary, contract length and contract clauses if any. You the have the possibility to either offer the exact demands or to edit the offer to your likings. Once you have decided what to offer use the *Make offer* button to send the offer. 

### Player response
The player will let you know of his response immediately in the *Player response* panel. If the player has accepted your offer he will think about before decide to sign or not. This will typically take a day or two. If he doesn’t find the offer good enough he’ll let you know and you’ll have the possibility to edit the offer right away.

Note how the language and attitude in the player response will change from player to player depending on their psychological profile. The response will also give you a hint of how likely he is to accept the offer.

### Current offers
Once you have made your offers you’ll find them at the action menu on the *Transfer page* and the option *Contract offers…*

If you like to withdraw an offer you may do so by either use the remove button next to the offer or by visiting the player page and once again use the action menu and *Player contract…*.

### Interested
Not all players might be interested in signing with your team. This depends on a number of factors including but not limited to; player’s history and preferred league level, your team’s form and reputation, manager reputation and the player’s need of ice time for his own development.

The player will declare his interest in one of the following categories; *None, Slight interest, Might be interested and Confirmed interest*. You’ll find this on the *Transfer page* and the *Status column*.

### Demands
The players will have different demands in both salary and contract length depending on a great number of things; *Player skill level, age, potential, expected impact at your team, player reputation, psychological profile, previous stats and performance* all will influence the demands. If the player have been a free agent for a long time his salary demands might drop.

The typical salaries for the different leagues are:
* Golden Hockey League (GHL) - $2.000.000
* Silver Hockey League (SHL) -   $500.000
* Bronze Hockey League (BHL) -   $150.000
* Iron Hockey League (IHL) -    $50.000
* Lower Iron Hockey League (LIHL) -    $25.000

## Releasing a player
As a last resort for moving an unwanted player is to release him from his contract. But this won’t be without penalty. Half his salary will be locked against your salary cap for the remainder of his contract. Note that any pending contracts will be included in the penalty. Also note that a *lower league contract* is excepted from this rule. 

You will find any cap penalties on the *Team info* tab on your *Team page*.

## Promoted or relegated
If a team is promoted or relegated this will affect the players contracts.

If a team is promoted and the player doesn’t have a *Promotion contract* he will keep his current contract but it will now be labeled as a *lower league contract* since the contract terms was signed for a lower league level. See more below.

If a team is relegated and the player doesn’t have a *One way contract* he will follow the team downward the league levels and will keep his current contract. But his salary will now be recalculated so it keeps the same percentage against the new league’s salary cap. E.g. if the player’s salary was 10% of the former salary cap his new salary will be 10% of the new lower league’s salary cap level. The salary will consequently be decreased quite a bit. But he will automatically get a *Promotion contract* and a *One way contract* clause to get a chance to restore his old salary and prevent him from being relegated once more. All the above doesn’t apply for players with a *lower league contract*.

## Lower league contract
A *lower league contract* is a contract that was signed in a lower league than the player is currently playing in. That means that the contract terms is probably poor for the current league standards and the player might be unhappy about this. If the player has a *lower league contract* this will be displayed on the *Transfer tab* on the *Player page*.

There are also some special rules that applies for *lower league contracts*. These contracts is without penalty when releasing the player. Also the player won’t get his salary decreased if the team is relegated. This will apply until the player is back to the same league level as the one he signed the contract in.

Posted September 26, 2015 - 04:29 PM

Nicolas Senet

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Reliable
I released two game days ago a player from a 6 years 6000000$ contract. I just looked, after the trade system release, and this amount won't be available until the end of the season. Is this right (should have been available on 4 days)?

Posted September 26, 2015 - 04:57 PM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1040 posts
  • 124 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden
Players released before the trades update is not affected by the new rule. So your cap penalty will expire in 4 days. It's just the UI that now displays penalties in whole seasons. It's misguiding in your case but the penalty will be removed in 4 days.

Posted June 13, 2016 - 10:53 AM

Mark Z

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Floater

What does Current length  2/2 mean?   

1.)   does he have 2 more years to complete his contract. or

2.)   He has completed 2 years of a 2 year contract? 

Posted June 13, 2016 - 03:54 PM

TheWizard

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Reliable

2/2 means the player has 2 years remaining in a 2 year contract.

1/2 would mean he has 1 year remaining in a 2 year contract.

Posted June 13, 2016 - 11:07 PM

HurjaHerra

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Reliable
About that.. When does a exstension "ignore" the ongoing season? After you get the expiring contracts notify?

I'v done plenty of contracts for eg. 2y ext. from 1/x to turn into 2/2 and eventually he was going to leave after the next season, altough, you'd assume he would still be 2 years in your team after the season ends. I did also once propose 1y deal with C at the last day of seaso thinking he would be my temporary no1 C for the next season, but instead he was a member of my team for about 2,5h.

Posted June 16, 2016 - 04:49 AM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1040 posts
  • 124 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

If you offer a 1 year extension he shouldn't be leaving the same season. A one year extension should include the current season and the next one.

But I'm aware that the current contract situation is not optimal in any way. I'm planning on rewriting this to handle contracts and salaries year by year just like in the NHL today.

Posted June 18, 2016 - 08:54 AM

HurjaHerra

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Reliable

Okay. It might be that I'v been cautious of it so I'v always offered more than 1y and with 2/2 it goes 1/2 at the end of the season, gotta try it out with 1y.

Posted June 18, 2016 - 09:37 AM

TheWeekKnights

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: June 2016
Rep - Floater

I'm in the LIHL in Clapper, and no matter what I do, I can't get players to sign extensions once they get to about a 65 overall.  They have zero interest.  This makes it incredibly difficult to build a team when you invest in some young players with the expectation that they will be the base of your team for years, but demand to leave after they have any sort of relevant development.  It's frustrating to have to essentially rebuild every year, or trade my best players for some undeveloped scrubs at the end of the season.  Is this intentional, and does it ever get easier to re-sign players?  

(I'm still relatively new to the game, and I love it so far.  This is essentially my only complaint, so I just wanted to rant a little.)  

Posted June 18, 2016 - 01:28 PM

HurjaHerra

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Reliable

I now offered a 1y extension on Biscuit to Franco Mirault ( http://www.gameplanh...ayer/?gpid=5041) who'd otherwise be gone at the end of the season.

@TheWeekKnights: I guess nowadays you could try to trade them for draft picks and with the ELC's I guess that problem is atleast going to postpone itself a bit, because they will be happy till 21. 

But yeah, I managed to sign few lucky fellas at FA to long contracts and they carried me from LIHL to SHL (atm.) I guess I have one who's gone from 49 to 82 in that time span (8seasons maybe) and when I got promotion I could release the "bad" one's due to lowerleaguecontract and hire a punch of new guys to play for me, with the "good" one's being on low salary and many years left in their contracts.

I guess there might be better ways, but that's how I got up. I'm probably going to lose few of them in few seasons due to 10k contracts expiring and wanting 2.5m now :D

Posted June 18, 2016 - 02:29 PM

TheWeekKnights

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: June 2016
Rep - Floater

That's encouraging, it's certainly good to hear a success story.  Yeah, I may have to trade for draft picks, I hadn't really thought of that.  Even so, it is fun to try to build a successful team with little to work with.  

Posted July 19, 2016 - 05:18 PM

Big-Bobby Clobber

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 60 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Helpful

Hi.

We were under the impression that players signed to ELCs were supposed to remain happy, because we can't offer them any more.

In Clapper: this player is signed to an ELC, but is terribly unhappy, with poor performance and training. He was much better last season.  

http://www.gameplanh...ayer?gpid=33147

Thabks. 

Posted July 20, 2016 - 05:59 PM

Big-Bobby Clobber

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 60 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Helpful

Will try to move that last post to bugs forum, as the player is 21, and should not have an ELC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users