nyy #23

Major League Baseball Reimagined (OOTP 16)

Hi everyone.  I'll be cross posting this dynasty that I started a few days ago in the OOTP forums, so just a bit of catch-up to get started.

-------

Every time a new version comes out I like to create a new league and take it for a test drive. There are several new features in OOTP 16 that I'm excited for, and thought that it would be fun to start in 1871 and replay a history of Major League Baseball. 

I won't be taking control of any team, and will be using OOTP 'out of the box', at least primarily. That means I'll be starting with a historical league and letting OOTP control franchise movement, expansion, and player development. Historical players will import and recalc will be turned off, letting the OOTP engine control how players will develop. That will also mean that things like the All-Star game, awards, World Series, and Hall of Fame will be around from the beginning. The only changes from defaults will be turning off baseball cards, disabling spring training, and renaming a few awards - the Cy Young Award will be the Pitcher of the Year Award to start, and I change the offense and defensive awards to Silver Slugger and Gold Glove.

We'll begin in 1871 with the American League made up of future franchises of the Baltimore Orioles, Oakland Athletics, Cleveland Indians, and New York Yankees. The National League will consist of the Chicago Cubs, Los Angeles Dodgers, Atlanta Braves, and Cincinnati Reds.

1871 All-Star Game

With each team playing just 15 games at the All-Star break it's hard to get a great feel for the league, but we've reached the midpoint of the inaugural season with the Baltimore Orioles (11-4) leading the American League, and the Chicago Cubs (9-6) leading the National League. 

In the first half of the season Fred Waterman of the Yankees became the first player to pick up 5 hits in a game, while Fred Treacey of the Indians became the first player to hit for the cycle. The inaugural All-Star rosters were announced for the July 4th game.

AL All-Stars:

1871%20AL%20All-Stars.png

NL All-Stars:

1871%20NL%20All-Stars.png

The American League would be victorious in the first All-Star game with a 13-4 win. Harry Schafer of the Indians was named player of the game after going 3-3 with an RBI and 2 runs scored.

1871 World Series
Steve King was crowned the World Series MVP after hitting .400 for the series as the Chicago Cubs defeated the Baltimore Orioles 4 games to 2 to capture the inaugural World Series. 

1871%20World%20Series.png

If you like, there is an HTML enable option when you post. You can then insert the images that way. I think that's how most of us do it.

Thanks, I think I'm going to give that a try, I just noticed how small the pictures were coming out.  

1871 American League Silver Slugger Awards
Pitcher
John McMullin (Philadelphia Athletics)
.409/.412/.538, 93 AB, 1 HR, 7 SB, 124 wRC+, 2.5 WAR

Catcher
Bill Craver (New York Yankees)
.338/.364/.421, 133 AB, 0 HR, 8 SB, 128 wRC+, 1.7 WAR

First Baseman
Joe Start (Cleveland Indians)
.338/.351/.448, 145 AB, 1 HR, 3 SB, 127 wRC+, 1.3 WAR

Second Baseman
Ross Barnes (Baltimore Orioles)
.353/.401/.504, 139 AB, 0 HR, 16 SB, 134 wRC+, 3.1 WAR

Third Baseman
Ed Pinkham (Philadelphia Athletics)
.283/.369/.450, 120 AB, 2 HR, 9 SB, 121 wRC+, 1.6 WAR

Shortstop
George Wright (Cleveland Indians)
.326/.367/.496, 135 AB, 0 HR, 12 SB, 134 wRC+, 2.4 WAR

Left Fielder
Jim Foran (New York Yankees)
.347/.358/.483, 118 AB, 0 HR, 3 SB, 134 wRC+, 1.0 WAR

Center Fielder
Fred Treacey (Cleveland Indians)
.299/.327/.408, 147 AB, 1 HR, 17 SB, 109 wRC+, 0.2 WAR

Right Fielder
Gat Stires (Cleveland Indians)
.298/.348/.500, 124 AB, 2 HR, 5 SB, 131 wRC+, 1.0 WAR

1871 National League Silver Slugger Awards
Pitcher
Asa Brainard (Chicago Cubs)
.404/.396/.485, 99 AB, 0 HR, 0 SB, 125 wRC+, 2.3 WAR

Catcher
Cal McVey (Los Angeles Dodgers)
.346/.343/.434, 136 AB, 0 HR, 8 SB, 122 wRC+, 1.3 WAR

First Baseman
John W Glenn (Chicago Cubs)
.326/.368/.376, 141 AB, 0 HR, 1 SB, 108 wRC+, 0.6 WAR

Second Baseman
Wes Fisler (Los Angeles Dodgers)
.294/.304/.357, 143 AB, 0 HR, 3 SB, 96 wRC+, 1.6 WAR

Third Baseman
Ezra Sutton (Cincinnati Reds)
.288/.292/.410, 139 AB, 0 HR, 5 SB, 102 wRC+, 1.1 WAR

Shortstop
Frank Sellman (Cincinnati Reds)
.264/.287/.411, 129 AB, 1 HR, 3 SB, 102 wRC+, 0.7 WAR

Left Fielder
Steve King (Chicago Cubs)
.358/.377/.480, 148 AB, 0 HR, 2 SB, 133 wRC+, 1.3 WAR

Center Fielder
Lip Pike (Atlanta Braves)
.336/.353/.539, 128 AB, 1 HR, 4 SB, 133 wRC+, 1.4 WAR

Right Fielder
Art Allison (Los Angeles Dodgers)
.351/.353/.507, 148 AB, 2 HR, 0 SB, 137 wRC+, 1.1 WAR

1871 American League Gold Glove Awards
Pitcher
Bill Stearns (Baltimore Orioles)

Catcher
Fergy Malone (Baltimore Orioles)

First Baseman
Joe Start (Cleveland Indians)

Second Baseman
Ross Barnes (Baltimore Orioles)

Third Baseman
Harry Schafer (Cleveland Indians)

Shortstop
Ralph Ham (Philadelphia Athletics)

Left Fielder
Jimmy Hallinan (Baltimore Orioles)

Center Fielder
Dave Eggler (Philadelphia Athletics)

Right Fielder
Al Reach (Baltimore Orioles)

1871 National League Gold Glove Awards
Pitcher
Bobby Mathews (Cincinnati Reds)

Catcher
Doug Allison (Chicago Cubs)

First Baseman
Everett Mills (Los Angeles Dodgers)

Second Baseman
Wes Fisler (Los Angeles Dodgers)

Third Baseman
John Radcliff (Atlanta Braves)

Shortstop
Dickey Pearce (Chicago Cubs)

Left Fielder
Tom York (Cincinnati Reds)

Center Fielder
Lip Pike (Atlanta Braves)

Right Fielder
Dave Birdsall (Atlanta Braves)

1871 AL Award Winners

After hitting .353 for the Baltimore Orioles Ross Barnes added a pair of awards to his trophy case, winning the Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year Awards. It was a pair of Yankees winning the American League pitching awards, George Zettlein capturing Pitcher of the Year after going 8-17 with a 3.26 ERA and reliever Joe McDermott capturing Reliever of the Year after going 2-2 with an 11.10 ERA. 

Zettlein's numbers may have been a bit misleading, but Triple Crown winner Bill Stearns of the Orioles should feel robbed after going 20-5 with a 1.95 ERA while leading the league with 27 strikeouts. 

photo 1871 AL Award Winners_1.png

1871 NL Award Winners

The National League gave Asa Brainard the MVP, Pitcher of the Year, and Rookie of the Year awards after Brainard went 17-12 with a 3.41 ERA in 245 2/3 innings for the World Champion Chicago Cubs. Al Pratt won the only award Brainard didn't qualify for by going 3-0 with a save and 1.97 ERA in 50 1/3 innings to capture Reliever of the Year.

photo 1871 NL Award Winners_1.png

I have been search of the type of sim baseball for my project to allow the negro league baseball players to play in the majors. I have checked out several sites to get what I think is a realistic view of how they may match up to the mlb players of their time. ~1893-1946 I have created a spreadsheet of the ~70 negro leaguers that would have been mlb material and I'm ready to create them in a sim game. I own OOTP21 and have been playing it since OOTP6. I like the fact that they have a database where I can pull at team/player from history and sim away without the extra cost. But I don't like the glitz to the game and the way players I never have heard of make it to the leader boards. I tried lots of other games, Strat-O-Matic (I started with the cards back in the day), Diamond Mind ... boring and expensive, I now am trying Dave Koch's PC Baseball and I like its realism but its expensive to buy separate seasons. So I want to try Puresim, something I think I tried in the past but cant remember Its been several PCs ago and lost the files. Anyway I ramble. Any suggestions on other games ?

I think your work here is commendable, wow 1871 that's really digging in there. I have done some historical replays and find the starting in 1893 when they moved the mound back and where throwing overhand is a good place to start. Just my opinion for what its worth

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now