GM Since: March 2014
Rep - Helpful

August 1965

Morley Safer reports that we are losing the war in Vietnam

India invades Pakistan

LBJ signs the Voting Rights Act

Watts riots in L.A. last 6 days

August 24

“Dick Hertz here on ‘Sportstalk’ with Coach Clark on the phone. Coach, did you offer scholarships yet?”

“As a matter of fact we did. We offered to 2 bigs and 2 guards, and all 4 are showing some interest.”

“Great news. Classes start on Monday. Any concerns about that one guy who’s having difficulty?”

“I’m confident he will be eligible by the end of the semester.”

“Thanks Coach, we’ll call again when the schedule is out.”

September 1965

More U. S. troops sent to Vietnam

India-Pakistan war reaches a cease fire agreement

“I Dream of Jeannie” premieres

September 21

“’Sportstalk’ with Dick Hertz. Coach Clark is on the line. Coach, what’s going on with recruiting?”

“I’m very encouraged. We feel we’re getting really close with 2-3 guys.” 

“So nothing yet. Tell us about the schedule.”

“We’ve beefed it up a little, Dick. We’re not playing UCLA by any means but there are some teams from middle level conferences, and I wanted our guys to play against one top flight team so we’re traveling to Minnesota in late November. I think there are things to be learned by playing a team at that level.”

“Sounds good, Coach. The start of practice is right around the corner.”

“Yes it is, and I can’t wait to get started.”

“We’ll call again during that first week of practice. Thanks Coach.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

October 1965

Beatles receive MBE

Gateway Arch completed in St. Louis

October 5

“Dick Hertz here on ‘Sportstalk’ and we have Coach Clark on the line. Coach, how’s practice going?”

“I like what I’m seeing. It’s early but I think we’re better than we were last year. All in all I think we’ll play more defense, and at least so far we’re moving the ball pretty well. Oh, we’re picked to win Conf. U.”
“How do you feel about that?”

“It seems like a stretch given that we’ve just moved up to this division, but if we stay healthy and if we develop the way I think we can, it’s an attainable goal.”

“Sounds good. Just a note to the fans. When the season starts Coach will be on with us once a week, usually on Wednesdays, and always by phone. We won’t have as much time with him as in past years but we’ll try to get a question or two in most weeks. He’ll talk about the previous week’s games and he’ll break down the games being played over the next week or so. We’ll have Coach on the line at least once more before the games start.”

November 1965

The great Northeast Blackout

Marcos elected President of Philippines

U. S. sends 90,000 more troops to Vietnam

November 9

“Dick Hertz here on ‘Sportstalk.’ We have Coach Clark. Coach, you won your two exhibition games.”

“Yes we did. Dee Port is our Point again this year. Curt Silk will be in the other guard spot and Clay Toll will play up front. The other two spots are still in contention. Tim May, Jon Dark, and Tod Mack will play lots of minutes, but Craig Jain, Alex Jamm, and Jon Debro are standing by waiting for their chance.”
“Recruiting?”

Almost finished. We have commitments from a PG a Small Forward and a Power Forward. Looking to fill one more slot.”

“Who do you play next week?”

We start at home against Campbell from R. They play 5 out, and 3-2, and they press now and then. Don’t know much else.”

“Sound good Coach. See you next week.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

November 16

“’Sportstalk’ and we’re here with Coach Clark. Great start to the season, Coach, a 63-52 win over Campbell.”

“There were a lot of things to be happy about. When you hold the opponent to 52 you know you played good D. We had only 10 TOs, we had good shot selection, we distributed the ball well, we got good bench play. On the down side we could have rebounded better, and I expected more from Curt Silk, although he played good D.”

“Tell us about Jacksonville.”

‘They’re in V. They moved down when we moved up. They play 2-3, and they press now and then. They run 5 out on O. They open tonight so no other info.”

“Then you’re at Northern Kentucky.”

“Yes, they go with shuffle on O, and play mostly man to man. They’re in T, and they lost to Jacksonville State. Their Point and their Small Forward look good.”

“Let’s take a call. Joe in Yarmouth.”

“Coach, Jon Dark looked real good. Any thought of starting him?”

“It’s a little soon to make changes but I can see him working his way into the lineup if he continues to play well. Playing well earns minutes.”

“Johnny in Barnstable.”

“Any thought of going to more man?”

“I think about it all the time. My guys do better in a zone most of the time. We work the man defense in practice every day though.”

“See you next week.”

November 23

“’Sportstalk’ with Dick Hertz here. We have Coach Clark on the line. Coach, 1-1 since we last talked.”

“Two road games so I guess 1-1 is good. We lost 63-67 to Jacksonville. 19 turnovers, which was very disappointing. Silk had 22 points, May had 10, 8, and 4.

“Then we beat Northern Kentucky 58-53. 14 TOs which was better but more than I want. Curt Silk had another good game, 17, and Time May had 13 and 10. Jon Dark needs more minutes, he’s playing really well. The staff is planning on giving him more time.”

“Upcoming games?”

“Back home with Northeastern. They’re in O. They play shuffle, use man on D and press now and then. They’re 3-0 but they haven’t played anybody. They could be a challenge.”

“Then on the road for our toughest game on the schedule, Minnesota in D. Triangle on O, 2-3 on D, and they press at times. They lost by only 2 to Indiana. They have a good Point and they are tough inside.”

“Recruiting?”

“Still chasing that last recruit.”

“Let’s here from Jed in Lexington.”

“Coach, I can’t believe you’re still playing walk ons.”

“I can’t either, Jed, but they outplay our scholarship guys in practice and they perform in games. Tim May is our 2nd best player and Tod Mack is doing a great job.”

“Cal in Danvers.”

“I’m with the last guy. Jon Dark needs more time and so do Jamm and Debro.”

“I don’t hear a question but I’ll address the concern. Jon Dark’s minutes will increase. I keep expecting Jon to reach the level we want him at. He’s making progress. Same for Alex.”

“That’s it for today. Talk to you next week, Coach.”

November 30

“’Sportstalk,’ we’re back from break with the Coach. Sometimes life is just weird. Two game two results, 2 identical scores. You beat Northeastern 56-52, and lost to Minnesota by the same score.”

“Never realized it until you said it. Great comeback in the Northeastern game. We never led until late. Jon Dark’s first start and he had 11 and 5. Tim May and Clay Toll also played well.

“I think it speaks well for our chances that we hung in with a team from D. 12 TOs and +9 on the boards. If we hadn’t shot so poorly we could have won. 11 more for Dark.”

“And the next couple of games?”

“Home against 2-1 Niagara from O. They play motion and man and they press sometimes. They beat Villanova so they can play. They have 4 guys who score but only one who rebounds, and they’re very thin at guard.

“Then we’re at Bryant in T conf. They’re 3-2 against nobodies. Very good at the guard spots but no inside game. They run the shuffle and play 3-2.”

“Mark in Fall River.”

“Coach, the stat sheet shows that Tod Mack and Craig Jain are playing better than a couple of your starters.”

“The stat sheet doesn’t show how well people defend, and it doesn’t show hustle or heart. We look at the stat sheet all the time, and we use that info. But it doesn’t rule us. If only it were so simple that the stat sheet could tell us who to play.”

“Good luck next week, Coach.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

December 1965

Gemini 6. First rendezvous in space. 

Gale Sayers scores 6 touchdowns.

December 7

“Dick Hertz on ‘Sportstalk.’ Good week, Coach.”

“Yes, 2-0. We played our strongest game of the year against Niagara, 83-56. Tim May had 24 and 13, Curt Silk 18, 5, 5, and our other 3 starters plus Tod Mack and Alex Jamm also played well. 11 TOs.

“It was closer at Bryant but we finally took charge to win 66-61. May had another big game, 12, 8. 8 TOs.”

“You’ve been good with the ball almost every game.”

“Yes, we’re averaging 12.6 TOs. I’d like to get it down to 12 even but not bad.”

“The next two games?”

“Both at home. Buffalo is in N. They run motion, play man, and pretty much press all night. They’re 2-3 with a win against Washington. They turn it over a lot, and their best player is their Center.

“Appalachian State is in L. They play 5 out but their bigs do the scoring. They play 1-3-1 and press now and then. They use a 3 guard lineup.”

“We’re running late so no questions tonight.”

December 14

‘Back on ‘Sportstalk.’ Thanks to BU hockey coach Jeff Moore. Now we have Coach Clark on the line. Tell us about your week, Coach.”

“1-1. You like to win at home but I guess that’s not going to happen every night. Buffalo beat us 53-56. We didn’t play at all badly, especially on D, but we simply didn’t score enough. May had 17, Dark had 11, and no one else did much. 

“Then we were really good against Appalachian State, 56-46, but never as close as the final score. Again, we didn’t show much offense but our D was terrific. Curt Silk had an excellent game, 18, 4, 8, and always steady Tim May had 11 and 7. 9 and 11 for Jon Dark. 10 TOs and 38 rebounds.”

“So you’re 6-3 with 2 non-conf. games to play. Tell us about next week.”

“Only one game, At home with FL Atlantic, in P. They use the flex and play 2-3, and they press occasionally. They’re 4-3 against decent competition. Their 2 and 3 put up a lot of points.”

“Grace in Cambridge.”

“Hi Coach. You’ve got 7 guys really getting the job done. Do you ever look at the 'Net' stat?”

“That’s one I look at a lot but it can be deceptive regarding guys who don’t play a lot of minutes. If you track Jon Dark his rating his steadily risen as his playing time has. Tod Mack’s has fallen as he has played fewer minutes.”

“Yes, but it indicates that you’re definitely playing the right guys.”

“I don’t anticipate too many lineup changes at this point although I don’t rule it out.”

“Thanks Coach. Time’s up.”

December 21

“Dick Hertz here on 88.1 FM, WLOW, how LOW can you GO! Here’s the Coach.”

“Good win this week. We beat FL ATL 64-47. Curt Silk lit it up, 25, 5, 2, and Dee Port had 13, 6, 5. Our big guys had a battle on their hands but they held their own. 17 TOs, which did not make me happy. Our D has been very strong the past few games.”

“Yes it has, Coach. Your last pre-conf. game is at Fairleigh Dickinson. Tell us about them.”

“Well, they’re in Q, they play man and don’t press much, and they run the triangle. They’re 4-6, but they’ve lost 6 of their last 7. They play 10 guys so they always have fresh bodies on the floor. The scoring is spread out so you can’t key on 1 or 2 guys.”

“Mickey in Haverhill.”

“Coach, did you forget that Debro’s on the team?”

“No I didn’t, Mickey. Jon’s in a tough spot. There are three guards ahead of him who are all playing really well. If I get a chance I’ll definitely use him; he works hard.”

“George in Worcester.”

“Coach, ya gotta score more points.”

“I agree, George.”

“Ya oughta put yerself in. You’re the best scorer UML ever had!”

“Thanks Mickey. The toughest part of coaching for a young coach is you still want to go in there. I don’t think I’d get away with it though. We work on freeing guys up for the open shot, and making cuts for layups. It can be a long process. We’re averaging 6.8 points per game more than our opponents so it could be worse.”

“See you next week, Coach.”

December 28

“Dick Hertz, ‘Sportstalk.’ Quite the game last night, Coach.”

“Took a year off my life!”

“Talk about that amazing ending.”

“Well, we were up 67-66, with 36 seconds left. They worked it for the last shot. Our D stayed patient and stayed in their faces and they couldn’t get the shot they wanted. Finally, with 5 or 6 seconds left they took a three with our guy in their face. It went in off the glass. So now we’re down 69-67 with just a few ticks left. Dee brings it down, Jon sets a pick for Curt, Dee gets him the ball and he drains a three right at the buzzer for a 70-69 win.”

“There was some controversy though.”

“The other coach was screaming that the shot got off too late, but it really wasn’t all that close. The horn went just before the shot got to the rim.”

“Good game for Curt?”

“He had 20, 4, 3 including the game winner. Dee had a terrific game, and Clay  played well. Tim had a very rare off night. He was in foul trouble all night long and didn’t play much. Fortunately Tod Mack and Alex Jamm did a great job filling in. I was unhappy with 21 TOs, and we’ll work hard on that, but otherwise we played well.”

8-3 for the pre-conf. season.”

“I’m really happy with that. Looking forward to the start of conference play.”

You start with Texas State at home.”

“Motion on O, man to man, press now and then. 4-7. This is a team we should beat, especially at home."
“We have time for one question. Dave in Dedham.”

“Coach, at some point you’re gonna hafta face the fact that Tod Mack needs to be in there.”

“Tod is playing well, but remember, every time you put somebody in you need to take somebody out. What we’re doing is working pretty well. If we have difficulty we’ll change the lineup, but only then.”

“Thanks Coach.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

January 1966

Green Bay beats Cleveland for the NFL title.

12 transit strike closes NYC subways.

“Rubber Soul” hits #1

January 4

“’Sportstalk with the coach on the line. Happy New Year, Coach. Tell us about the Texas State game.”

“Happy New Year, Dick. Well, I thought if we played our game we wouldn’t have trouble, and that’s the way it turned out, 66-47. We never trailed after the first few minutes. Tod Mack had a really big game. Tim May was off, for the 2nd game in a row but Tod was more than ready to get it done. 10 TOs and +6 on the boards.”

“Who’s coming up?”

“We’re at Libber Tea first. They’re 5-7. Probably stronger inside than out. This is a team we should be. 

Then Kennesaw State comes here. They’re 6-6 and they’ve beaten some good teams. They’re stronger outside than in. they could challenge us if we’re not on our toes.”

“We’re out of time. See you next week, Coach.”

January 6

“Let’s open ‘Sportstalk’ with some bad news. While UML won their game easily last night they lost Center Tim May for about a month and a half with a broken hand. Coach is on the line. What can you tell us?”

“All we know is that it’s a simple fracture to his non-shooting hand. First estimates are a month and a half but we’ll know more in a few days.”

“Who’s coming in?”

“We’re going to shift Clay Toll to Center, bring Tod Mack in at the 4 spot, and give more minutes to Alex Jamm.”

“We’ll talk more about it with Coach Clark when he’s with us on Wednesday.”

January 11

“Dick Hertz on ‘Sportstalk’ with Coach Clark. Coach, we usually start by reviewing the games, and we’ll get to that but first, Tim May.”
“Doctors still say about a month and a half, which would get him back to us in time for the post season.”

“And the adjustments?”

“Well, we won by 20 last night.”
“Okay, a two win week.”

“We led Libber Tea throughout and won 65-46. Except for the injury things went well, 11 TOs. Tim had 17, 6, 3, and 4 steals when he went down with about 11 minutes left. Curt had 18 and 7. We had 2 practices with the new lineup before facing Kennesaw State but we beat them 66-46, so I guess we were ready. Tod stepped right in with 6, 10, and 4. Toll and Dark got 14 each.”

“And coming up?”

“We’re at 5-9, 1-2 North Alabama next. They’re stronger outside than in, and they play man.

“Then comes Longwood, here. They’re 8-6, 3-0, tied for 1st with us. They’ve won their last 4 easily so they’re hot. Their strength is at guard, both of their guards can light it up.”

“Question time. Marty from here in Lowell.”

“Does the injury open up a chance for Alex Jamm?”

“We’re going to need minutes from Alex so yes, this is a chance for him to shine.”

“Bob from Milton.”

“Any changes to what you do on either offense or D?”

“Not really. Both Tod and Alex know our system, and they have the skills needed to continue with what we do.”

“Rich in Saugus.”

“Is this injury going to hurt your chances to win the conf.?”

“Sure. Tim was our 2nd leading scorer and our leading rebounder, and he played good D. We’re deep enough not to have a huge problem, but we’re losing a lot while he’s out.”

“Okay, thanks Coach. Talk to you next week.”

January 18

“’Sportstalk.’ We’re back from break. Thanks to Northeastern wrestling coach Bammer Lee for visiting with us. Now we have Coach Clark on the line. Tough week, Coach, 0-2.”

“Very tough week.”

“I guess you’re missing Tim May.”

“We are, but we really didn’t play very well in either game. It may be a question of confidence. We’re working on that. The staff really believes we can do fine with our lineup.”

“Tell us about the games.”

“Sure. North Alabama just cleaned our clock, 63-81. And they did most of it with their bench, 41 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists. Tod and Clay were fine inside, but our outside D wasn’t there. We gave up 11 threes.”

“But you were out rebounded.”

“Yes, by 5. That was a factor.”

“And Longwood?”
“Fouls killed us, Dee, Clay and Curt all fouled out. We were up 3 with 4 ½ left. Then within a minute all 3 guys were gone, and we lost 62-67. Clay had 19. We’ll be better, you can count on it. Bumps in the road happen.”

“And this week?”

“We start at 2-14, 0-5 Howard. They won their first 2 and have lost 14 straight. Their Point broke his leg in their third game and they haven’t made the adjustment. He’ll be back in a couple of weeks but until then they’re in trouble.

“Then we’re home against 11-5, 3-2 MD Eastern Shore. That should be a real test as to whether we can compete for the conf. title. We feel like we need to beat them inside to win.”

“Good luck Coach. We’re out of time, folks.”

January 25

“Dick Hertz here with Coach Clark. Not the week you expected, Coach.”

“Not surprised we went 1-1, but it was kind of upside down. I didn’t expect to lose to Howard.”

“50-56.”
“You don’t often win when you score 50. We didn’t shoot well and we didn’t rebound at all, -11. Our two starting guards both fouled out. It was nightmare.”

“But you bounced back.”

“We did. We were not exactly sweet and cuddly in practice and I guess the guys got the message. 80-68 over MD Eastern Shore. We still didn’t rebound but they didn’t either and Clay had 25 points and Curt had 19. We thought the key was winning the inside game and it was. We won that battle easily.”
“And your next two opponents?”

“2nd place, then 1st. We play Portland State here. They’re 10-8, 5-2. Good team, better outside than inside but not awful inside.

“Then it’s 1st place Inane Word. 10-8, 6-1. 6 game winning streak right now. They are really good outside, as good as anyone in the conf. Oh, Dee hurt his ankle. He’s day to day and we think he’ll play, but he may not be 100%”

“It never rains! Questions. Pete in Boston.”

“Coach, you’re not getting’ the rebounds. Alex Jamm is though. Don’t ya think he should be getting’ more minutes?”

“Alex is doing a great job on the boards, and I hope he does earn more minutes. To be completely honest, Tod is a better scorer and a much better defender. We’re working with Alex on D. When he gets there he’ll play more.”

“Ken in Salem.”

“I can’t believe Craig Jain isn’t getting more minutes. Dark has tailed off.”

“Jon is in a little slump. We want him to work his way out of it. Craig is a good player. We’ll get him more minutes when we can.”

“Tough week coming up, Coach. Good luck.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

February 1966

1st operational weather satellite

Dow hits all time high of 955

February 1

“’Sportstalk’ with Dick Hertz. We have the coach on the line. What a week, Coach. 2 wins and you’re in a 5 way tie for 1st.”

We beat 2 tough teams by 10 points each. With Portland State we knew outside play was the key and our guard play was incredible. 6 TOs and we forced 20. We didn’t rebound, yet again, but it didn’t matter. Our big guys scored.
At Inane Word Dee had 24 with 4 steals. Tod had 19, 7, Clay had 14, 7. We had 18 TOs but we forced 25, and we were +5 on the boards. Like the Portland State game this one was never as close as the final score.”

“Next week?”

“9-11, 6-3 Delaware State at our place. They’ve won 5 of 6. They play a lot of people. No one stands out but everyone is steady so they’re hard to defend.
“Then we travel to Northern Colorado, 8-12, 4-5. They’ve been very up and down. They’re good outside but only one decent big.”

“Let’s take a call. Max in Leominster.”

“How long until Tim May is back?”

“He’s making good progress. The docs tell us about 3 weeks if things continue to go well. Looks like he’ll miss the regular season but he’ll be back for the conf. tournament.”

“Agnes in Hudson, New Hampshire.”

“Did you get that fourth recruit yet?”

“Not yet. We’re still waiting on the guy we want and talking to a bunch of other guys.”

“Thanks Coach.”

February 8

“We’re back. Coach, great week again.”

“It was. Clay Toll had a fantastic week. We beat Delaware State 67-43, and Clay had 20 and 10. 11, 6, 3 for Tod, and 7 and 9 for Jon. And the big guys got 41 boards, our best rebounding since we lost Tim. Curt had 19, 9, 4 outside.

Then we beat Northern Colorado 65-57 there and Clay had 20, 8, and 2. That game was never as close as the final score indicates.”

“5 wins in a row.”

“We’re playing well. It took time to adjust but we’re there now.”

“Next week?”

“We start at 6-16, 5-6 Savannah State. They lost their C, who was probably their best player, for the season. They really struggled. Lately they’re playing better.

“Then we host 8-14, 3-8 Abilene Central. Their starting PG is out with a broken foot.”

“Sounds like 2 cupcakes.”

“Last time we played a cupcake they beat us if you recall.”

“Good point. Let’s take a call. Mo from Franklin.”

“Coach, how’s the Ph. D. work coming?”

“Thanks for asking. I had a great semester in the fall but I really got my brain stretched. This semester it’s only one course, but it’s ‘Symbolism in the Modern Novel.’ A lot of reading and more analysis and interpretation, and a whole lot of writing. Loving it though.”

“Lou in Foxboro.”

“Coach, you’re 16-6, 8-3. Looks like you’re headed for Conf. T.”

“That’s the goal, Lou, but there’s a lot of teams bunched at the top.”

“Thanks Coach.”

February 15

“Dick Hertz, ‘Sportstalk,’ here with the Coach. Coach Clark, a 2-0 week and you’re alone in 1st with 3 to play. Looking good!”

“I’ll take it. Just as a reminder, 2 of our last 3 are on the road and there are a lot of teams within striking distance.”

“True enough. Tell us about the week.”

“Well, we started at Savannah State and it was no contest, 72-56. Clay Toll had a field day, 31, 5, and 2. Jon and Dee, and Alex Jamm from the bench also had good games. 7 TOs.

“Then Abilene Central came to us and we won 63-39, best defensive performance of the season. Curt Silk led the way with 18 and 9. Tod Mack had an off night but our other starters all played well. 34 rebounds, 11 turnovers.”

“And next week?”

“We start at Texas State. We beat them by 19 at our place. They’re 11-13, 7-6. They score mostly inside but they have trouble with the ball.

“Libber Tea comes to us. We won by 19 there the night Tim May broke his hand. They’re 11-13, 6-7. They’re an inside team.”

“You could use Tim May in that game.”

“We could, but if we win at Texas State I definitely won’t. And if we lose there it will depend how the game is going. The final week I could use Tim and likely will.”

“Okay, no questions tonight.”

February 22

“’Sportstalk,” Dick Hertz. Coach Clark, tied for 1st with 1 to play!”

“We lost 54-68 at Texas State, which hurt, but we survived it. Clay had 20 and 7, Craig Jain had 14, 5, 2 from the bench and no one else did much.

“Then the game with Libber Tea became a must win. We started strong and won it 66-50. 21 and 9 for Clay, good backcourt work and lots of bench help. 10 TOs didn’t hurt.”

“You wind up at Kennesaw State.”

“Beat them by 20 at home, without Tim May, and Tim will be back. He’s been practicing with us, going full bore, and looking good.”

“Best of luck, Coach.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

March 1966

215,000 U. S. troops in Vietnam.

Supreme Court rules poll tax unconstitutional

Anti-war demonstrations in several countries

March 1

“’Sportstalk.’ We host the Conf. U tournament and there are 4 play in games today. We have Coach Clark on tape.”

“Heck of a finish to the regular season. We beat Kennesaw State by 3 and Longwood lost by 2 so we ended up alone in first place. 

“Clay had 22 and 13 to lead us. Tim had a good first game back, and Dee and Curt played well but we survived a horrible 28 TOs, most in any game I’ve ever coached. The other team had 24, which helped.”

“Okay, tonight will determine who UML plays first. We’ll be here every night as long as UML is in it, and we’ll have the Coach on live post game.”

March 2

“Dick Hertz here. All the play in games were upsets so UML plays #9 seed, 14-14, 9-7 North Alabama. Here’s the coach on tape.”

“We played there and they crushed us by 18. We need to be a lot better tonight.Their bench got 41, and that’s what did it.”
“Dick Hertz here post game. Narrow escape, Coach.”

“Man! Oh well, the important thing is to win and move on.”

66-64 over North Alabama.”

“Threes almost sank us, they got 11 of them, but in the end our big guys pulled us through, 18, 8, and 4 for Clay, 15 for Tim, 12 and 4 for Jon, and then 12, 5, 3 for Curt. They never led in the 2nd half but if that 3 point shot at the end had gone we’d be watching.”

And tomorrow?”

“All the favorites won so it’s Inane Word. We won by 10 at their place. Their starting Point broke his arm last week. He was their leading scorer. They’re 1-1 since but they aren’t the same team.”

March 3

Dick Hertz here following the game between UML and Inane word. Good win, Coach, 69-58.”
“Well, yes and no. I thought we played pretty well and I’m happy with the win but Curt Silk sprained his wrist. He’ll probably play tomorrow but he won’t be at 100%. Clay was unbelievable, 34 and 7. Dee had a good night and Tod was really good from the bench.”

“So how will you adjust?”

“We’ll give Craig Jain some of Curt’s minutes, Tod Mack some, and Craig will play a little.”

MD Eastern Shore upset Longwood.

“Yes, so they’re who we play for the title. We beat them by 12 at our place. They’ve won 5 of 6 and 7 of 9. We feel like we need to control the boards to win.”

“Talk to you after the game, Coach.”

March 4

“Dick Hertz here following the title game for conf. U. 62-54 and UML wins the title. Coach?”

“We did a lot of things right, 10 TOs, 34 rebounds, our big guys scored lots of points. 16, 4, 2 for Clay, 12 for Tim, 6, 10, 2 for Tod Mack. Dee had 11 points and no TOs.”

SO now we wait for Selection Sunday. How high can you go?”

“It’s hard to say. I’m hoping for a 14 or even a 13, but the committee generally isn’t kind to schools from low conferences. We’ll see.”

“And we’ll be here for a special edition of ‘Sportstalk’ a week from today. Coach is not available this Wednesday so we’ll talk to him in a week.”

March 12

“Dick Hertz here for the NCAA selection show. UML’s EPI is 38 so hopes are high. 

“Not in the East.”

“Not in the Midwest.”

#15 in the South and we’ll face #2 Michigan State, 23-5, ranked #7. Tough match up Coach.”

“It’s disappointing. I thought we had a real chance at a #14 or a #13. Oh well, we’ll prepare for the game. It is what it is.”

“How’s Curt Silk?”

“Oh he’s fine. He’ll be 100% for the game, is now, really.”

March 15

“’Sportstalk’ with Dick Hertz. We have Coach on the line. Coach, this the first time you’ll face a team from conf. A.”
“First time with anyone above D. We hung in with Minnesota but A is a lot higher than D.”

“Tell us about Michigan State.”

“They play the high post, and on D they play mostly man, pressing from time to time. They would likely have been a #1 but they lost in the first round of their tournament, a big upset to #14 seed Syracuse. They have very good guards who score and who take care of the ball. They’re thin up front, but the guys they do have are good. Still, they are essentially an outside team. If we can manage to get their bigs in foul trouble we have a chance.”

“Talk to you after the game, Coach. Good luck.”

March 17

Dick Hertz here after the UML-MSU game. 70-74. Coach, you did us proud.

“Thanks, Dick. We got behind early and had to play catch up all night. We never quite got there but we never gave up. That is one fine team we lost to tonight. Clay Toll had 20, 4, and 5 and he never quit, but I could say the same for all the guys.”

“We’ll have Coach in the studio on Wednesday, April 4, to wrap up the season and talk about awards, then we’ll have him back again at the end of April. Thanks Coach.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

April 1966

Bill Russell becomes first black coach in NBA

Leonid Brezhnev becomes head of communist party in USSR

April 4

“Welcome to ‘Sportstalk.’ Dick Hertz with the Coach. We said he’d be in the studio tonight but plans changed and he’s in the middle of some meetings so this will be quick. Awards were announced today. How’d you do, Coach?”

“We did well. Clay Toll was named conf. Player of the Year and 1st team along with Curt Silk. I thought we might get one or two guys on the second team, but it didn’t happen.”

“And the Coach was awarded Coach of the Year. We’ll be back with the coach in late April to wrap up the season and talk about next year.”

April 23

“Dick Hertz on ‘Sportstalk. We have Coach Kip Clark in the studio and the lines are open. Coach, pretty good season, 23-8, 12-4, won the tourney. Moving up to conf. T.”

“Yes, I think we did well, all in all.”

“Positives?”

“We played well together, as a team. We took good care of the ball in most games. We were +3.8 in turnovers. I thought we could have rebounded better but we were +1.8 there. We outscored our opponents by 7.2 per game. Individually, first we’re losing only Debro and Jamm. We’ll miss those guys but we have some terrific recruits coming in. Our entire starting 5 and our 6th man and 7th are all back. Rather than go player by player I’d just say I am thrilled to have them all back and I think we’ll be a real contender in T.”

“And overall?”

“Team Prestige is now 11. My record for three seasons is 61-30, .670. My ratings all started at 1, but now, off.- 10, Def.-16, Recruit- 41, Scout- 2, Player Development- 13, and Reputation- 14.”

“Coach, did you get any head coaching offers?”

“I’m not interested in moving but there were some calls. Oh, we got a $2,000 budget increase. It’s not a lot but we’ll take it.”

“And you got a $4,000 salary increase.”

“I’ll take that too!”

“Let’s go to the phones, Rob in Chelsea.”

“Coach, do you think you’ll still be playing the two walk ons next year?”

“Rob, we’ll play whoever earns minutes. Mack and May have worked hard for us, and they’ve earned playing time. If some guys come along and show that they deserve those minutes, they’ll get them. Otherwise, my walk ons will keep playing.”

“Joe, here on campus.”

“Coach, if you’re gonna play the walk ons why not give them scholarships.”

“Never thought of that. I’ll check into it, see if either of them needs it. Actually I think Tim May is on an academic scholarship so he’s probably okay.”

“Steve from Dorchester.”

“Any staff changes?”

“As of now the entire staff is back. We’ve gotten to know each other and we work well together. Assistant coaches want to move up, and I support that, but it’s nice to keep the staff together.”

“Grace from Cambridge.”

“Coach, how long can UML expect to keep you? A young, successful coach is in demand. I’m guessing if you haven’t already, you soon will be getting offers from schools a lot higher up than T.”

“Thanks, Grace. I’m not going to comment on offers I may or may not have gotten, but I’ve said regularly that Lowell is my town and UML is my school. I don’t see myself leaving here for a long time, if ever.”

“We’re out of time. Looking forward to another great season, Coach.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

May 1966

Buddhist monk self immolates in South Vietnam

300 U. S. planes bomb North Vietnam

June 1966

Civil rights activist James Meredith wounded by sniper

Stokely Carmichael launches “Black Power” movement

Miranda decision by Supreme Court

June 26

“Dick Hertz here on ‘Sportstalk’ with UML head basketball coach Kip Clark. Welcome back Coach. How does the recruiting scene look?”

“Well, Dick, first of all, Tod Mack decided not to play this year. He’s taking a heavy course load as a senior and he felt he needed to concentrate on academics. He’ll be missed. Our other walk on, Tim May, will continue to be with us. We have 4 scholarships. “

July 1966

LBJ signs Freedom of Information act

NYC transit fare rises from 15 to 20 cents

Race riots in several U. S. cities

Bob Dylan hurt badly in a motorcycle accident

U. S. airplanes bomb demilitarized zone in Vietnam

August 1966

Anti-Vietnam, and pro-civil rights marches proliferate in U. S.

Beatles last public concert

August 14

“’Sportstalk’ back after the break. We have Coach Clark on the line. Coach, how’s recruiting going?”

“We’re talking to a whole bunch of kids and quite a few are showing interest. This program has shown it knows how to win and that helps.”

“Thanks Coach. We’ll talk again soon”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

September 1966

Star Trek premieres

LBJ proposes gun control legislation

Jimmy Hendrix changes name to Jimi Hendrix

September 18

‘Dick Hertz back on ‘Sportstalk.’ We have Coach Clark. Coach, any recruits commit yet?”

“Not yet, but we have kids showing interest.”

“Tell us about the schedule.”

“Well, it’s a bit stronger than last year’s. Nothing tremendous but one ranked team and a few others up the line from conf. T.”

Thanks Coach. Talk to you soon.”

October 1966

LSD is first declared illegal

Rolling Stones record their 1st LP

Black Panther Party created

National Organization of (later "for") Women formed

October 2

“We’re back. Coach Clark, first day of practice.”

“Yes. I can’t wait to work with this group. It looks like I have 9 or 10 guys who can play this game. I’m excited.”

“That’s great. Recruiting?”

“We have 3 that I feel we are very close with, and a few others almost as close.”

“Great. We’ll check back soon.”

October 23

“’Sportstalk’ with Dick Hertz. We have the coach on the line. Coach, some recruiting news.”

“Yes, we have commitments from 2 PGs and an SF. Hoping to grab a big guy.”
Some questions though?”
“Well, all three are borderline as to whether they’ll hit our SAT score but they’re very solid players o we’re gambling.”

“How’s practice going?”

“Really well. I think we’re going to have a very good year.”
“Thanks Coach.”

November 1966

Edward Brooke, of Massachusetts, becomes first black U. S. Senator.

NYC smog attack kills 400.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

November 6

“Dick Hertz with Coach Clark here on ‘Sportstalk.’ Coach, what’s the starting lineup look like?”

“We’ve got Lan Wood at Point, Curt Silk is still at SG, Web Monk is at 3, and the inside guys are the same as last year. Clay Toll and Tim May.”

“So the walk on kept his job?”

“He looked better than anyone else at Center.”

“What about Dee Port?”

“First guy off the bench, getting lots of minutes, and he may start before it’s all said and done.”

“Jon Dark?”

“First big guy off the bench. We gave him every opportunity to earn a starting spot, but it didn’t happen- at least not yet.”

“Thanks Coach. We’ll start talking to Coach most every week, on Sunday nights this year.”

November 20

“’Sportstalk’ with the Coach on the line. Coach, tell us about the first week.”
“A little disappointing. We started off beating Wofford, but only by 5. Curt Silk had a big game and Dee Port had a really good game from the bench. We had only 11 TOs but we were -3 on the boards.
“Then we had a very frustrating OT loss to North Carolina Central. We had several chances to put it away in regulation and didn’t. This game we had 34 rebounds but wer turned it over 23 times. I guess it really shows that it’s early season.”

“And this week?”

“Northeastern at home and then Navy on the road.”
“Okay Coach, talk to you on Sunday.”

November 27

“Dick Hertz here with the Coach on the line. Better week this week, Coach.”

“Yes it was. We beat Northeastern at home by 12. 12 TOs, -1 RB. Tim had 18 and 9, and Clay had 18. Good bench minutes from Port and Dark.

“Then we went to Navy and beat them by 4 in a thriller. It was close all the way, and we scored the last 6 points. 8 TOs made me really happy, but -9 RBs didn’t. Silk and Wood led us, and we got good minutes from Port. Our inside players both got in early foul trouble and were hampered for the whole game. That nearly caught us.”

“So you’re 3-1 after 4. This week?”

“Two real challenges, both at home, Houston from conf. F, and Canisius from J.”
“Let’s take a call or two. Bert in Chelsea.”

“Coach, I don’t get why Port isn’t starting. Wood’s having a lot of trouble and Port’s looked real good.”

“Bert, I want to give Lan Wood a little time. I think he has tremendous potential. It’s possible he’s not quite ready but I think he will be very soon, and when he is I think he’ll do a great job for us.”

“Marty, here in Lowell.”

“Coach, from what I’m reading those three recruits who committed, all of them are lousy students. What happens if they don’t hit the SAT score?”

“We recognize that it’s a possibility. If it happens we’ll go get some other people. But these three are top notch and we think it’s worth the gamble. We’re doing all we can to encourage them to prepare for the test.”

“Thanks Coach. Talk to you next week.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

December 1966

U. S. bombs Hanoi for the 1st time

December 4

“’Sportstalk’ has Coach Clark on the line. Coach, 2-0 this week against good teams.”

“Yes, I was definitely pleased. We beat Houston by 21. Web Monk had his best game of the season for us, 25, 4, 3. 7 TOs, 35 rebounds. 18 and 9 for Tim May, good bench play, 9 assists, only 1 TO for Wood.

“Then we beat Canisius by 14. 9 TOs, 31 RBs. Tim had 20 and 8, Clay 13 and 9, Monk 14, 5, 2. Great bench play.”

“Tough one this week.”

“Toughest on the schedule, #14 Virginia, there. Then it’s La. Tech at home.”

“Time for one question. Eddie in Haverhill.”

“Coach, I’m with ya for sticking with the new guys, at least for awhile. I think both Monk and Wood are starting to get it done, and having Port and Dark to come in off the bench means ya don’t lose a thing when ya sub.”

“That’s the plan, Eddie. I’ve said before that I have confidence in the two new starters. If they continue to improve we’re going to be a very tough team.”

“Thanks Coach.”

December 11

“We’re back. Coach is on the line. Not a good week, Coach.”
“To say the least. I wasn’t shocked to lose to Virginia, they’re a very tough team. I didn’t think we played badly. Lan and Dee played well, actually. They just had more firepower. I was definitely disappointed to lose to La. Tech in OT. Their guards killed us. Curt played fairly well but Lan and Dee were invisible. It’s still December, and we have work to do, but we’ll get better.”

“Any lineup adjustments on the horizon?”

“We discuss the lineup every day at the coaches’ meeting, and we’re always open, but for now we’re keeping things the way they are.”

“Coach, you’re on the road for the next five. Talk to us about that.”

“It’s awful, and I’m not happy about it. We don’t play at home again until January 9. We’ll come home a couple of times between games but this is going to be difficult.”

“Who’s up this week?”

“Only one game, Appalachian State, from conf. L. They will test us inside.”

“Thanks Coach. Talk with you next week.”

December 18

“’Sportstalk’ with the Coach on the phone. Coach, a 9 point loss at Appalachian State.”

“We’re a little frustrated right now, Dick. We only scored 46. Curt’s really been in a slump and he shot 0-8. Our D was fine, we rebounded fairly well, we had 13 TOs, which isn’t great but it isn’t awful either. We simply couldn’t score points.”

“Let’s take a question or two. Tom in East Hampton.”

“Coach, when things are going bad lots of teams shake up the lineup. Any thoughts of that?”

“Well Tom, we are definitely thinking along those lines. The only problem is that our starters are putting up better numbers than our subs. I’ll very likely find a way to give Dee more minutes but Jon Dark hasn’t shown me enough yet.”

“Joe in Swansea.”

“You’re in a rut, Coach, shake it up. Sit Silk and Monk, and see what happens. Whatta ya got ta lose?”

“Thanks Joe. I think I answered that with the last caller but we’re keeping changes in mind.”

“Next week?”

“Only one game, Stephen F. Austin from L. They’ve got a Point who really lights it up. I’m hoping we’ll come to play and start to turn things around.”

“Good luck, Coach, See you next week.”

December 24

“We’re back and we have the coach on the line. The losing streak ended at three, Coach.”
“Yes it did. We beat Stephen F. Austin by 3. It was close all the way but we hung tough and just refused to lose at the end. I’m particularly happy that we scored some points. 71 is more than we put up in any of the 3 recent losses. Our three bigs all played really well. We knew their Point was tough but I have to say that Lan matched him almost evenly. I thought he played his best game of the season, given the competition. Curt was a little better than he’s been, too. Hopefully we’ve turned a corner.”

“And this week?”

“One game, against Albany from K. We scheduled lots of teams in conferences quite a bit higher than ours. We’ve lost some games because of that but I think it’s going to make us really tough when we get to conf. play. They’re strong inside.”

“No time for calls tonight. See you on new year’s day, Coach.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

January 1967

Green Bay wins the NFL championship.

Lester Maddox inaugurated as Governor of Georgia.

“Boston Strangler” Albert DeSalvo sentenced to life.

January 1

“Happy new year, Coach. Another road loss.”

“Yes. 59-67 to Albany. May and Toll were in foul trouble from start to finish and they only played 16 minutes each. As a result we were -9 on the boards and that, as well as poor shot selection, did it.”

“Still sticking with the lineup?”

We’re going to make Sam Fry our first big guy off the bench. He’s been working hard in practice, and he looked good when we put him in against Albany.”

“So you’re giving up on Jon Dark?”

“Not at all. I’m hoping this will challenge him to work harder and to earn minutes.”

“Let’s go to the phone. Fred from Hadley.”

“Coach, Port is a solid, experienced player who did a good job for ya last year. I don’t understand why he doesn’t start.”

“Good question, Fred. I’m giving him more minutes starting now. He’s not starting, but he may soon.”

“Grace from Cambridge.”

“Heading for conf. play, Coach. Your thoughts?”

“Well, I think all these tough teams we’ve played will make us really ready for conf. play. I’m not happy about having our first 2 and 3 of 4 on the road, but we’ll deal with it. I’d very much like to be at least 3-1 after these 1st 4.”

“Let’s talk about those 1st 2 opponents.”

“Northern KY is 3-8. Their strength is inside. South Dakota State is 4-7. They’re probably a little stringer inside than out as well.”

“Okay Coach. Good luck this week.”

January 8

“’Sportstalk’ here with the coach on the line. 1-1 start to conf. play, Coach.”

Lost by 10 to No. KY. 19 TOs and poor shot selection did us in. 

“Then we were much better against So. Dakota ST, 70-60. Tim May and Dee Port both had big games.”

“And speaking of Dee, I understand there’s news.”

Dee Port is my starting Point from now on. Lan and Curt will split the rest of the guard minutes. I need Dee’s experience. We gave the other guys every chance, but it’s time to make this change.”

“Let’s hear from the fans. Bobby here on campus.”

“Good call, Coach. Hope about the 3 spot?”

“I think Web Monk has gotten better as the season’s gone along. I don’t anticipate any big changes up front. We need to give Sam Fry a little time. If he can get it done for us great. If not, we’ll try something else.”

“Jeff in Boston.”

“About time! I’m thinkin’ Dee will really turn it around for us.”

“That’s what we’re hoping, Jeff.”

“This week?”

“Finally a home game. Miss. Valley ST is 8-5, 2-0, one of the best teams in the conf. They’re good at all 5 spots. This would be a big win for us.

“Then we’re back on the road with 7-6, 1-1 Longwood. They’re better in than out, especially at Center.”
“Okay Coach, talk to you next week.”

January 15

“88.1 FM, WLOW, how LOW can you GO. Dick Hertz with Coach Clark. Great week, Coach!”

“Yes it was, Dick. We beat Miss. Valley ST at home, 72-64. Interestingly enough Dee didn’t have a very good game but Lan had 13, 3, and 4 from the bench. Tim had 23. We were +7 on TOs and +5 on boards.

“Then at Longwood we won 73-62. Dee and Curt each had 11 points and 4 assists, and Web Monk had 22 and 9 boards.”

“So you’re where you want to be?”

“Hardly! We still need to rebound better, and our shot selection isn’t what I want it to be. We’re at 12.8 TOs a game and I want that below 12. Lots of improvement still needed.”

“You’re 9-6, 3-1 in conf. Who’s up this week?”

“10-5, 3-1 Eastern Wash. here. They’ve looked good, especially inside. Then we travel to Southeast LA. They’ve struggled, 4-11, but they’re 2-2 in conf. play. Their shooting guard can really score points.”

“We’re out of time. Talk to you next week, Coach.”

January 22

“Dick Hertz here. We have coach on the line. Tell us about the week, Coach.”

“Well, we beat Eastern Wash. 62-41. Our D was terrific, our front court controlled the inside and we only had 8 TOs. Unfortunately Sam Fry went down with an ankle injury and he’s out for about 2 weeks. We’re giving Mark Witt a try as our first big off the bench.

“Then we went to SE LA. And got beat 67-74, and the D was as bad as it was good in the previous game. We got only 22 rebounds and had 16 TOs. I will say that Witt looked very good, as did Web Monk.”

“This is a tough team to figure out, Coach.”

“Yes, it is. There doesn’t seem to be any way to tell which team is going to show up. This is the most frustrating season I’ve encountered as a coach. I do still have hope that the team will find itself. I think we have plenty of talent.”

“Who’s up this week?”

“8-9, 5-1 Morgan ST comes to us. They’re a good inside team.

“Then we travel to South Fork. They’re 6-11, 2-4, and they’re a little stronger inside than out. We need a road win, badly, and of course we need to win at home, too.”

“Let’s hope we get that 2-0 week. We’re out of time.”

January 29

”’We’re back from break and we have the Coach on the line. Coach, it’s unusual to call a 2-0 week, which vaulted you to 2nd in the conf. disastrous but that term applies. Tell us about it.”

“Well Dick, you’re right. We had commitments from 3 recruits and all 3 failed to make our SAT score. So it’s back to square one. We’ve offered to a PG but we’re going to spend the week analyzing the situation before we make any other offers. There are still lots of good players available. I think we’ll be okay.”

“Tell us about the week.”

We beat Morgan ST 74-58. Mark Witt had a great game, 14, 2 and great D. We actually got 31 from our bench. Our 2 starting bigs were in foul trouble from the start and we only got 18 rebounds, which is a nightmare, but 8 TOs and really good ball movement and shot selection made up for it.

“Then we beat South Fork, there, 58-50. Our guards dominated theirs, and that was the difference. Mark Witt had another good game. We had 33 boards and only 10 TOs, so except for poor shooting this was a well played game.”

“Let’s go to the phones. Mike in Leicester.”

“Coach, Witt is showin’ what givin’ kids a chance kin do. Ya need ta do more of that.”

“That’s a fair criticism, Mike. I probably waited too long to shake things up. I’m really pleased with the way Mark has played.”

“Jim in Hudson, New Hampshire.”

“Coach, any thought of starting Witt?”

“No, Web Monk is playing really well.”

“No, I mean for either Toll or the walk on.”

“Well, Tim May is our leading scorer and our leading rebounder so he’s safe. As to Clay Toll, I’m not ready to make that change yet. If Mark continues to play the way he’s been playing we will definitely increase his minutes.”

“Eddie in Southbridge.”

“Coach, I was on a while ago and I tole ya the team would do better with Port at the point. Glad you made the change.”

“I am too, Eddie. Thanks for the heads up.”

(Laughs) “Coach, who’s on tap this week?”

“We start off hosting 17-2, 8-0 MD Eastern Shore. Those guys can play. They do a lot of scoring inside and they take care of the ball. This will give us a good idea of whether we have a chance to win the conf.

“Then we travel to Samford. They’re 9-10, 2-6. They’re tough inside. This is an important game for us. If we beat MD we need this win to keep it going, and if we don’t, we need it to get back on track.”

Halfway through conf. play and you’re 12-7, 6-2. Is that about where you expected to be?”

“Well, I thought we’d do better in the pre-conf. games. Given that we’ve moved up 2 conferences in 2 years I guess 6-2 is okay, but how we got there is more a concern that the record itself.”

“Thanks Coach.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

February 1967

25th amendment (Presidential Disability and Succession) is ratified

Largest U. S. offensive of Vietnam war

February 5

“Dick Hertz with Coach Clark on 88.1 FM, WLOW, how LOW can you GO! Another great week, Coach.”

“A VERY good week. We beat the #1 team in Conf., MD Eastern Shore, 76-70. Our 3 guards, Port, Silk, and Wood all had good games. Lan Wood had 16, 1 and 3 with 2 steals. Clay Toll had 17. We were +10 in TOs. The only down side was -5 on the boards. We need rebounders and that’s who we’re after in recruiting.

“Then we went to Samford and beat them 66-60. Tim had 23, and again, our three guards had really good games. 12 TOs, and +5 on the boards.”

“You’re alone in 2nd, one back of the leader with 6 to play.”
“That’s a good spot to be in, especially considering how long it’s taken us to start playing good, consistent ball. We’ve won our last 4 and 8 of 9.”

“This week?”

“Prairie View at home. They’re 10-11, 5-5. We think we can beat them outside. We need to do that and at least play them even inside where they’re stronger.

“Then we go to 14-7, 6-4 Inane Word. That should be a challenge. They’re very tough at the 2, 3, and 4 spots.”

“Let’s hope for another good week, Coach. We’re out of time.”

February 12

“Dick Hertz with the coach. A good win then a very tough loss this week. Tell us about it, Coach.”

We never trailed against Prairie View. I thought we needed to win the game outside but that’s not how it turned out. Our guards played in foul trouble all night and theirs definitely beat ours, but our bigs more than made up for it. 19 and 9 for Tim May, 13 and 8 for Web Monk, and Mark Witt gave us some good minutes. We were +8 on the boards. 

“Then we lost a heartbreaker at Inane Word. We didn’t play well, and we perhaps didn’t deserve to win, but losing on a 28 footer at the buzzer is tough. Tim was the only guy who really had a good game for us. We shot really poorly. That shows in the fact that we took 17 more shots than they did and made only one more field goal.”
“That puts you in a 2 way tie for 2nd, 2 back, with 4 to play. Who’s up this week?”

“Two home games this week, first is then comes Central Arkansas, 11-12, 6-6. They are yet another team that looks better inside than out. Then it’s No. KY., who beat us by 10 at their place. They beat us outside, especially with their bench, and they forced 19 TOs on us. We need to do better with the ball to beat them, and every game is big right now.”

“Should be an exciting week, Coach. Good luck.”

February 19

“’Sportstalk’ here with the coach on the line. Great week, Coach.”

“2-0, back to only 1 back of the leader.”

“Tell us.”

“Well, we beat Central Ark. 61-49. Tim and Dee led us. 11 TOs and really good D
“Then we had a terrific game against No. KY. 4 starters plus Mark Witt in double figures, and Dee had a really good game at the Point. 11 TOs and +10 rebounds.”

“2 games to go in the regular season.”

“Yep. So. Dakota ST is here. We beat them by 10 at their place. Tim and Dee had really big games that night and we got 35 rebounds.

“Then we travel to Miss. Valley ST for what could be a tough finish. We won by 8 here but these guys are 15-10, 9-5 and in 4th place. They can play. Their guards really lit it up against us. We need to do a better job of guarding them.”

“Keep it going, Coach. 2 in a row, 7 of 8, 11 of 13.”

February 26

“’Sportstalk’ with the coach. Interesting week, Coach.”

“That it was, Dick. We started off with a 67-39 win over South Dakota ST. We pretty much did everything right in that game. Tim led us with 16, 11, 4. We got a season high 42 rebounds.

“Then we went to Miss. Valley ST and lost yet another heart breaker, 64-66. They jumped out to an early lead and we had to play catch up. We caught them late and went up 4 and it looked good, but then they scored the last 8 to beat us, including two threes in the last minute. Their guards and their bench beat us. We knew guard play was key and we really focused on it in practice, but we couldn’t solve the problem.”
“#2 seed in the tournament, which means it will be hosted by MD Eastern Shore.”

“That’s right. No idea who we’ll play in the round of eight.”

“We’ll be on every night that you play and we’ll talk with you after the games. Let’s let the fans talk. Tom in Dudley.”

“Coach, the guard situation still seems up in the air. Wood’s been playin’ much better since you benched him.”

“Yes he has. I think he’s more comfortable coming in from the bench and I’m not about to change that.”

“Mary in Dorchester.”

“Coach, rebounding is still a problem most nights. Why haven’t you been able to fix it?”

“Mary, we address rebounding, and spend time on it, ion every practice. Believe me, we’re trying. Tim May is really our only consistent rebounder. We’re disappointed in Clay Toll’s rebounding but there’s really nobody behind him on the depth chart who’s doing any better.”

“Murray in Braintree.”

“Coach, I think Jon Dark is the answer.”

“Murray, both last year and this year we’ve given Jon every opportunity. He simply hasn’t shown us that he’s ready to step up. I am very much hoping that he will, and soon.”

“We’re out of time, Coach. Talk to you before and after your first game in the tourney.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

March 1967

Adam Clayton Powell expelled from the House for corruption.

Jimmy Hoffa being 8 year prison sentence.

Sgt. Pepper cover photograph is taken.

March 2

“Dick Hertz here before the start of the game between UML and Northern KY. We have the coach on tape.

“Coach, all 4 play in games were upsets so you’ll play #10 seed No. KY.”

“That’s right, Dick. They’re 11-17, 7-9. We lost to them by 10 to begin conf. play, while we were still trying to figure out our lineup. Then we beat them by 25 at home. We feel like we’re better outside and they may be a little better inside, so our guards need to step up, and our bigs have to step up even more. The only trouble we had with them last time was with their bench play so we need to take care of that.”

“Dick Hertz here after the game. 72-46 win, Coach.”
“Yes, we were in charge all the way, and we didn’t do much wrong. Tim led us as usual with 18, 9, and 4, 4 steals, 2 blocks, but everyone played well. We had a fantastic 6 TOs, and 35 rebounds.”

“All the favorites won so you’ll play #3 seed Eastern Wash. They’re 20-8, 12-4, and you beat them by 21 in Lowell.”

“That’s right, Dick, but they had a really bad night. They’re much better than that and we know they’ll be looking to prove it. They use the 5 out on O, and play mostly man, and they press all the way. We were able to consistently break their press last time. We had only 8 TOs and we forced 19. We were only -1 on the boards and all 7 of our guys played well. We need all of that to happen tomorrow night.”

“Jon Dark got hurt.”

“Yes, he sprained his wrist. He’s out for the tournament but he should be back for whichever tourney we go to next.”

“Good luck, Coach.”

March 3

“Dick Hertz here after the game between UML and Eastern Wash. 59-48 but it wasn’t that easy, Coach.”

“No it wasn’t. Our bench did it for us. May and Toll were in could trouble most of the way and neither was particularly effective. With Jon Dark out that left it to Mark Witt and Sam Fry and they both came through. Mark had 9 and 6, Sam had 9, 2, and 1. Web scored 12 for us and Dee was terrific, didn’t have a TO. As a team we only had 9, 7 of them in the 1st half. We played great D from start to finish.”

“And Miss. Valley ST upset MD Eastern Shore. Good news or bad?”

“Good question. I’ll tell you after the game! Seriously, we beat MD Eastern Shore and split with Miss. Valley ST so it seems sort of like a toss up, although MD Eastern Shore had a much better season. But it’s Valley, and they were 19-10, 11-5. In both games their outside shooters and their bench gave us lots of trouble, and they beat us on the boards although our bigs scored easily. So we know what to expect and we know what we have to fix. Oh, their starting Point is out with a broken finger, but he was out last time they played us and they won. Still, it shortens their bench.”

“Talk to you after the game, Coach., Good luck.”

March 4

“Dick Hertz here after the title game. Coach, 57-44. Not that tough, all in all.”

“It was a great win, Dick. Our D was terrific, we were +4 on the boards and +5 in TOs. Dee. Lan Wood and Web Monk did the scoring and Tim had 9 boards. Mark Witt did a really nice job, too.”

“How high can you go in the NCAA tournament?”

“I think a 9 or a 10 is what we deserve but I’m guessing we’ll get about a 13.”

“We’ll be with you on Selection Sunday as the brackets are announced. See you then.”

March 12

“Dick Hertz here with the coaches and the players for Selection Sunday. What do you think, Coach Clark?”

“Well Dick, we’re still in a low conference and that will hurt us. Our RPI is 36, which would play out to a #9 or 10 seed, but I still think it will be about 13.”

“We’ll find out soon, the show is starting.”

“Not in the East.”

“#14 in the Midwest. The opponent is #3 seed, #14 ranked Pitt, 19-10, in conf. A, Coach?”

“That’s a little lower than it should be but not a shock.”

“What do you know about Pitt?”

“Almost nothing, but that will change before I sleep tonight. The coaches and I will go to work in just a few minutes.”

“Okay Coach, we’ll be speaking with you before the game, in Chicago, on the 16th.”

March 16

“Dick Hertz before the first round game between UML and Pitt. Here’s the coach on tape.”

“Pitt does most things well. They are really strong inside and we’ll need to find a way to contain them. They’re good outside as well but if we’re sharp we should be able to match them there. We need to avoid foul trouble, rebound, and just be on our best game.”

“Dick Hertz here after the UML-Pitt game. 62-76. Coach.”

“We did almost everything we wanted to do, but the shots didn’t drop. Part of that was the fact that they were quicker and they played really good D, but TOs and rebounding were about even, and we stayed out of foul trouble. Tim May had a great game, but all of our guys played well. We just didn’t shoot well. Hey, conf. T vs. Conf. A? I think we did okay.”

“So do I, Coach.  Next year it’s conf. S, and we’ll talk about that in April.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

April 1967

Harlem voters re-elect Adam Clayton Powell.

U. S. bombs Haiphong for the first time.

Stalin’s daughter defects to U. S.

Muhammed Ali refuses induction into the army and is stripped of his title.

Expo 67 opens in Montreal.

April 9
“Dick Hertz here with the coach. Coach, as you know Pitt made it all the way to the title game before losing to Syracuse.”

“I guess that means we lost to a pretty good team.”

“Let’s talk about awards.“

Tim May got conf. POY and 1st team. Pretty good for a walk on! Web Monk also made 1st team. Clay Toll made 2nd team.”
“Any job offers Coach?”

“There were calls, but I’m not going anywhere.”

“Let’s hear from some fans. Kyle in Framingham.”

Coach, what about a scholarship for Tim May?”

“We’ve talked with him. He has a 3.9 GPA and an academic scholarship that’s a better deal for him. He’s not interested.

“Lou in Haverhill.”

“Coach, any luck with scholarships?”

“We feel like we’re very close with a few guys. I’m hoping we’ll sew them up in the next week or so.”

“Okay, we’ll be back at the end of the month to wrap up the season.”

April 23

“Dick Hertz on ‘Sportstalk.’ We’re here with Coach Clark. Coach, any luck with recruiting?”

“We got 4, 2 PGs, a PF, and a C.

“Great news. How about the ‘numbers?’”

“Team Prestige is 12. My record is 82-40, .672. Off- 13, Def- 21, Recruit- 55, Scout-3, Player Development- 17, Reputation- 18.”

“Let’s go to the fans. Bob in Leicester.”

“Coach, you been climbin’ the conferences like crazy. Is S gonna be too high?”

“I think we’ll be competitive, Bob. Frankly, until we get to maybe J, or even I, I think we’ll be okay. At some point, the other teams will hasve financial resources we just can’t match, but that will not happen for awhile. I don’t guarantee we’ll move up every year, but I think we will, maybe 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 years for some time.”

“Grace in Cambridge.”

“Coach, is that the time when you’ll consider leaving UML, when you don’t feel you can compete any more?”

“Great question. Honestly, I have given no thought at all to moving.”

“But at some point you’ll be able to make considerably more money somewhere else.”

“I suppose so, Grace, but I’m fine financially. If I were to marry and have kids to worry about that might change things but for now, I make more money than I need. I’m way too busy to spend any.”

“Ha! Good point, Coach. Vinnie in Concord.”

“Coach, how’s the Ph. D. coming?”

“Don’t ask! I have two term papers due next week! Seriously, I still love it. I’ll be taking two courses this summer and two more in the fall.”

“What do you want to do your dissertation on?”

“Right from the beginning I’ve wanted to do something on Lear’s Fool. I’m already gathering information, other dissertations, critiques, literary criticism. There’s a lot out there so the challenge is finding something new, but I have some ideas.”

“Too deep for me. I’m a finance major. We’ll talk to you in the spring, Coach.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

May 1967

Student protests at many universities

“Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” premieres

June 1967

6 day war begins in Middle East

Thurgood Marshall nominated to be 1st black Supreme Court justice

Muhammed Ali sentenced to 5 years for refusal to submit to draft

June 5

“Dick Hertz here on ‘Sportstalk’ with Coach Clark on the line. Coach, you can’t go after transfers this year.”

“No we can’t. No roster spots. Recruiting will be a nightmare, we have 8 scholarships.”

“Looks like you’ll have a good team this year.”

“I think we’ll have a really good team. My fear is what happens next year when all of these guys graduate. But I guess it’s a little early to worry about that.”

“Okay Coach, talk to you again soon.”

June 15 

“Dick Hertz here. ’Sportstalk’ just learned that Tim May, the walk on that has led UML for the last couple of years has informed Coach Clark that he will not be playing in this, his senior year. We’ll discuss this with the coach next time we have him on but I’m sure it’s a big disappointment.”

June 26

“Dick Hertz here with the coach on the line. Coach, did Tim May say why he’s decided not to play this year?”

“As you know, Dick, Tim is an outstanding student. He has enough credits to graduate in December and during fall semester he will be taking the last 2 undergrad courses he needs as well as his 1st 2 graduate courses. He just felt like it would be too much of a load to do all of that and to play as well. We will certainly miss him, but we wish him well.”

“How does that leave you up front?”

“Well, this is Jon Dark’s big chance. We truly hope he’s ready. We also have Clay Tool, Sam Fry, and Mark Witt back, as well as transfer Dave Smith, so we think we’ll be okay. We fell that we’re really solid in the backcourt.”

“8 scholarships. I’m guessing you’re looking at lots of kids.”

“We are, Dick. As you know we add to and take from the list as the process moves along. Recruiting Coach Ned Bain and I will make lots of calls and lots of visits over the next few months.”

“Thanks Coach.”

July 1967

Sgt. Pepper #1 for 15 weeks

Race riots in many U. S. cities

August 1967

45,000 more troops sent to Vietnam.

Naomi Sims first black model on U. S. magazine cover

August 21

“Dick Hertz here on ‘Sportstalk’ at 88.1 FM, WLOW, how LOW can you GO! We have Coach Tim Clark on the line. First Coach, some good news.”

“Yes, Web Monk becomes the 1st UML player ever named to the Norton List. He’s at #35.”
“Great. So, have you offered scholarships?”

“We have offered to 5 guards and 3 forwards. 8 scholarships is a huge number. I’m sure we won’t get all 8 of these guys, but we’re going after them hard, and we’re talking to lots of other recruits as well.”

“Let’s take some calls. First, Grace from… LOWELL?”

“That’s right, Dick. I finished my Ph. D. in Educational Administration at Harvard and I’m now at UML as the Assistant Provost.”

“Welcome to town, Grace. Go ahead.”

“Coach, I was sorry to hear about Tim May leaving the team. I know we have lots of big guys coming back and at least one new one, but Tim gave us so much.”

“Yes he did, Grace. He was just a terrific player and at least as good a person. Even though he’s not playing this year we’re planning to honor him on senior night.”

“I’m very pleased to hear that, Coach.”

“Grace, before you go, we need to have coffee some time now that you’re on campus. Let’s get together.”

“Sounds great.”

“Good, I’ll call your office.”

“Well, a first! The first sign of the coach having any sort of private life.”

“And the last, Dick. I will just say that Grace has been a regular caller for so long, and is clearly so knowledgeable about the game that I just think it would be nice to chat with her. Don’t make it something it’s not.”

“Okay, Coach. Phil from Douglas.”

“Coach, how did you get into a situation where you got 8 spots to fill? Seems like poor planning to me.”

“Well, Phil, when you’re in the lowest conferences recruiting can be difficult. We take the best players we can get, whether their incoming freshmen, Junior jucos, or sophomore and junior transfers. Because we’re getting kids at three different class levels sometimes the group piles up in one year. If we insisted on all, or even mostly freshmen, we’d have a lot of open spots on the roster every year. We try to avoid that.”

“Thanks Coach. Talk to you again soon.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

September 1967

Walter Washington elected 1st mayor of Wash., D.C.

British railroads end steam powered trains

September 18

“Dick Hertz here with Coach Clark. First Coach, I have to ask, how did it go with Grace?”

“All I’ll say is that I’m glad I asked her for coffee. End of subject.”

“You DO play them close to the vest. Okay, recruiting, what’s up?”

“We’re close with 3 or 4, still talking with a lot of guys.”

“The schedule?”

“We have one ranked team, Memphis, there. Not many good hoops schools wanted to play us at our place, but we played the best we could at home. On the road we schedule a couple of tough games and others where we felt we had a good chance. The road is tough.”

“Okay, let’s hear from the fans.”

“Rocky in Framingham.”

“Coach, what kind of music are you listening to these days?”

“Well, like most people I love Sgt. Pepper, and most of the other Beatles’ music. I like the Stones, Bob Dylan, The Doors... I think popular music is really good right now. There are lots of great artists, groups, and great songs.”

“Last time I saw you I noticed your hair’s a little longer, Coach?”

“That’s right, Dick. I think it helps with recruiting to identify with the kids, and I kind of like it.”

“Any thoughts of growing a beard?”

“Not at this time.”

“Jenny in Worcester.”

“Coach, I was going to ask about movies and TV.”

“Sure Jenny, I really liked “In the Heat of the Night,” “Bonnie and Clyde,” “In Cold Blood,” although that was pretty chilling. TV, I think Red Skelton and Jackie Gleason are really funny. The Smothers Brothers too, but I don’t watch a lot of TV. Oh, Star Trek is probably my favorite show. I’m really disappointed when I miss it. I wish there was some way to record a program when you’re not home.”

“Maybe someday. We’re out of time, Coach.”

October 1967

Che Guevara captured in Bolivia

“Hair” premieres on Broadway

Widespread anti-war protests

October 2

“Dick Hertz here with Coach Clark on the line. Coach, what’s new with recruiting?”

We have commitments from a PG and an SF, and we feel like we’re close with a few other guys. We’re doing fine, really.”

“First day of practice.”

“Yes, I like what I saw, all in all. We may be a little short up front but we may not. We’ll see how things develop.”

“I see you’re picked to finish 1st in conf. S.

“Yes we are. Not sure if that’s good or bad.”

“Okay, talk again soon.”

November 1967

“Cool Hand Luke” released

Carl Stokes elected as first black mayor of a major city (Cleveland)

U. S. population reaches 200 million

Gen. Westmoreland declares that U. S. is winning Vietnam war

1st pulsar detected

Nov 6

“We’re back from break with Coach Clark on the line. Coach, how’s recruiting coming?”

“We’ve got 3, a PF, a PG, and an SF, and we think we’re close with a few others. Still working.”

Is the lineup set”

“Yes it is. We have Dee Port back at the Point, Curt Silk back at guard, Dee Monk back at Small Forward, our only new starter, Mark Witt, at Power Forward, and Clay Toll back in the middle. Sam Fry will be the first big guy off the bench and Lan Wood will be the first guard. I think that first 7 is very strong. 8, 9, and 10 aren’t bad either.”

“So we’re looking forward to another good year.”

“If we can stay reasonably healthy I think we’ll do well, yes.”

“Okay Coach. Time’s up.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

November 20

“’Sportstalk’ here” and I’m Dick Hertz. Today we start our regular weekly visits with Coach Kip Clark of the UML River Hawks. Coach is on the line. Great first week, Coach.”

“Hard to complain! 74-47 over Hartford here, and 72-43 over Colorado ST at their place. A total of 16 TOs and 79 rebounds. Our front court was really powerful in both games and Dee Port moved the ball well.”

A big early test this week, though.”

“Yes, we travel to #21 Memphis. They’re the toughest nteam on our schedule so that game will tell us a lot.”

“How big a factor is experience, Coach?”

“It’s huge. We’re returning 4 starters, the 5th got bench minutes last year and the first 2 off the bench were also with us last year. That gives us so much. It should help out all year long.”

“Okay, Coach, good luck at Memphis.”

November 27

“Dick Hertz with the Coach. The lines are open. Another great week, Coach.”

“Definitely. We beat Oval Rabbits by 10 here, then we went to #19 Memphis and won by 17.

“Who’s doing the damage for you, Coach?”

“Well, in all 4 games we’ve taken really good care of the ball and we’ve won the battle of the boards big. Our front court is scoring and rebounding and they have been extremely impressive. Our guards are scoring and playing good D. So I guess it’s a lot of things.”

“And just about all of them in the plus column. Let’s go to the phones. Louis in Belchertown.”

“Coach, you’re ridin’ high. How ya gonna keep it goin’?”

“Well Louis, if we can stay healthy we’ll keep it going by keeping our focus and continuing to work hard. Complacency is a killer.”

“Gil in Revere.”

“Coach, you actually have 2 more ranked teams scheduled. Can ya take ‘em?”

“We’re at #22 Clemson, and host #23 Marquette. The rankings are fluid. These teams weren’t ranked preseason but now they are. As to whether we can take them I’ll only say that we’ll play hard.”

“Will in Somerset.”

“How’s the Ph. D. work comin’?”

“It’s a long road, with the limited number of courses I can take, but I’m enjoying it a great deal. Sometimes I wish I were less busy but I really want to do this.”

“Great Coach. Next week it’s Charlotte at home and at #22 Clemson. Two challenges for sure. Talk to you next week.”

December 1967

1st human heart transplant

DNA 1st created in a test tube

474,300 U. S. soldiers in Vietnam

Packers beat Cowboys in the “Ice Bowl”, -13 degrees.

December 4

“’Sportstalk.’ We’re back with the coach. Coach, the streak ended at 5.”

We beat Charlotte by 18 at home. 21, 8, 5 for Clay Toll, and all 7 of my guy played well.

“Then we went to Clemson. For the first time all year we didn’t take good care of the ball, 16 turnovers. Clay and Dee both fouled out. We got good bench play but we lost 76-81. This was the first time we gave up more than 55.”

“Bound to be an off night now and then.”

“Hopefully that will be the only one.”

“Hofstra and then at Prairie View this week, Coach. Cupcakes?”

“I wouldn’t say that but if we play the way we can we should beat both of them.”

“Thanks Coach.”

December 11

“’Sportstalk’ and we have the coach on the line. Another 2 win week, Coach.”

“We started off at home with Hofstra and beat them by 15. Clay had a big night, 28 and 12. Guard play was very good.

“Then we traveled to Prairie View where we won by 17. Clay, Curt Silk and Mark Witt all had big games; 11 TOs, 34 rebounds.”

“What’s next?”

“One home game a week for the next 3 weeks. Next week it’s Appalachian State.”

“And recruiting?”

“Nothing new, we’re still in contact with lots of recruits.”

“Thanks Coach.”

December 18

“We’re here with the Coach. Another win, Coach.”

“Yes, we beat Appalachian State by 17. We were in control all the way. Mark Witt had 18, 6, and 2. We had only 7 TOs, and 32 boards. Sam Fry had 14, 4, 2 from the bench.”

“I asked Coach to have his stat sheet ready. What do the numbers look like, Coach?”

“They look really good. Average pts. per game is a +16.2. Rebounds +8.5, TOs + 3.9. All of that reflects how well we’re playing.”

“Marquette this week. A challenge?”

“Oh yeah. They’re from conf. D. They have good guards and their 2 inside guys both score. Their Power Forward is a glass eater.”

“Talk to you next week.”

December 26

87-60 win over Marquette. Back on ‘Sportstalk’ with the coach on the line. Pretty impressive win, Coach.”

“We really played well. 8 TOs, +7 on the boards. 4 starter sin double figures and the 5th, Mark Witt, had 9, 8, and 7. Wood and Fry had 6 each from the bench. We’re really playing great basketball.”

“One more before conf. play starts.”

“Wash. ST, from M is in. They’re having a really rocky season.”

“Okay, talk to you next week, Coach.”

“Wash. ST, from M is in. They’re having a really rocky season.”

“Okay, talk to you next week, Coach.”

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

January 1968

Cost of a stamp goes from 5 to 6 cents.

Rowan and Martin’s Laugh In premieres.

Vietcong launch Tet offensive

January 1

“Big shocker this week for UML. Coach?”

We lost to Wash. ST in OT. This is a game we should have won easily.”

“What happened, Coach?”

“We saw their 1-9 record and got complacent. We shot very poorly, 33.3%, and 6-34 from three point range. We were -15 on the boards. The refs called 22 fouls on us, 10 on them, and they went to the line 11 times more than we did. Sam Fry and Mark Witt played well but no one else did.”

“And the lesson?”

“You’ve got to go out there and work hard every single game. You can’t take anything for granted.”

“Coach, I was at the game and I thought the officiating was terrible.”

“Well, it wasn’t the best I’ve ever seen from refs. But we didn’t adjust to the way they were calling them. I always talk about that, if they’re calling them tight back off a little. You need to think out there. It was a huge factor in our loss and it was very one sided but we didn’t adjust.”

9-2 for the pre-conf. season. Not bad.”

“10-1 would have been a lot better.”

“What does this say about conf. play.”

“I think we’ll do well in the conf. If we stay healthy I expect us to win or at least be in the top 2. But we need to work at every practice and every game to make that happen.”

“Two on the road to start conf. play.”

“Yes, Chicago ST is 4-7, Campbell is 5-6.” 

“Thanks  Coach.”

January 8

“Coach, a 1-1 week.”

“We shot poorly and defended even worse against Chicago ST. Witt and Port were the only guys who played well.”

“How did you react to 2 straight losses?”

“I raised holy he- you know what. Practices were not pleasant for a few days.”

“I guess it worked.”

“Well we beat Campbell but I didn’t think we played very well. Let me amend that, we played excellent D. On O our shot selection was poor and we weren’t patient. Web Monk had 18 points and Clay had 16 rebounds but we seem to have lost our focus on the offensive end. We’re standing around instead of working to get open. We’ll work on all of that at practice, but we’ve BEEN working on it."

“Sometimes it just takes time, Coach.”

“That’s right, Dick. In the course of a season you have ups and downs but my job is to lift us up when we’re down.”

This week?”

“Stony Brook at home. They’re 6-7, 1-1. Then UIC, there. They’re 5-8, 0-2. We need a 2 win week.”

“Hope you get it. See you next week.”

January 15

“88.1 FM, WLOW, how LOW can you GO! ‘Sportstalk’ with Dick Hertz. We have the coach on the line and our lines are open. Coach, you got that 2 win week. Barely, but you got it.”

“That’s right, Dick. We beat Stony Brook by 22 here. We played as well as we have all year. 

“Then we went to UIC and almost lost to a team that simply isn’t as good as we are. We’ve been in a shooting slump and it was back. 35%, 6-27 from long range. +11 in TOs and +7 on the boards probably saved us.”

“How do you cure a shooting slump?”

“You work for open shots. You push it inside. You do back door cuts for easy lay ups. You shoot with confidence.”

“Let’s hear from the fans. Joe in Chelsea.”

“Coach, you’ve still got a lot of scholarships to fill. Any luck?”

“Well, we’re close with several people. We’re confident that we’ll fill most, if not all of the slots.”

“Mickey in Malden.”

“Coach, you guys have been in a slump for a few games. Any thoughts about changing the lineup?”

“Actually, when you look at the stat sheet, and then when you figure defense in, our starters are playing better than our subs. We just need to take better shots. We’re taking care of the ball, we’re out rebounding the other guys. I usually spend about half of every practice on offense and the other half on D, but lately we’re spending considerably more time on O. We’ll fix this. It just may take a little time.”

“Coach, we’re not hearing from  Grace lately.”

“No, she hasn’t called in in awhile.”

“Any ideas why?”

“No comment.”

“Who’s coming up next?”

“We have 6-9, 3-1 USC Upstate at home, then 9-6, 2-2 Eastern Wash. there. Two pretty decent teams.”
“Good luck. See you next week, Coach.”

January 22

“’Sportstalk’ back from the break. I'm Dick Hertz and we’re here with the coach. Great week, Coach. 2-0 and you’re alone in 1st place.”

“It was a very encouraging week, Dick. 68-46 against USC Upstate. We shot really well, inside and outside, +16 in TOs. Everyone played really solid D.

“Then we went to Eastern Wash. and won 66-50. Our shot selection was very good again and we were +11 in TOs. Our guards got more points this week than they have in a long time. Clay didn’t have a good game on the road but Sam Fry was terrific filling in for him."

14-3, 5-1. Who’s up this week?”

Miss. Valley ST comes to us. They’re 8-9, 4-2. Then we go to Pedestrian. They’re 9-8, 4-2. So neither is an easy game. we need to play like we did last week.”

January 29

“Dick Hertz with the coach on the line. A 2 win week but some bad news.”
“Yes, one of our committed recruits didn’t hit the SAT score. We thought that was a possibility with him. We’ve already offered to the next guy on our list.”

“And the games?”

Great D against Miss. Valley ST, but poor shot selection again. But +10 TOs and +4 rebounds got us through as well as 24 from Curt Silk, and great D.

“Then at Pedestrian we put it all together and won 78-58. 22 for Clay, 16 for Mark good games by everyone else. 11 TOs and 38 boards.”

2 game lead at the halfway point.

“Which is great, as long as we don’t get too cocky.”

“Who’s up this week?”

“MD Eastern Shore comes to us. They’re 7-12, 5-3, tied for 2nd. Then we go to 9-10, 5-3 Seattle, also tied for 2nd.”

“Let’s hear from the fans. Sam in Boston.”

“Coach, Sam Fry is playin’ too good ta not be startin’.”

“Well Sam, if I could start 6 he’d be starting. He’s a forward and my 3 big guys are all doing a great job. I like Sam Fry, he works hard. I give him minutes whenever I can.”

“Judy in Milton.”

“Coach, what do you think about the war?”

“I’m against it, Judy. I don’t see the Vietnamese as any threat to us, and I think the ‘Domino Theory’ is a bunch of hogwash. Having said that, I have a lot of respect for the troops. I hope we can bring them home soon.”

“Bill in Marlboro.”

“Coach, a patriot supports his country.”

“Bill, a patriot, works for what’s best for his- or her- country. Blind obedience to politicians isn’t patriotism. I love my country but I don’t just follow the leaders when I think they’re wrong.”

“Jeff in Framingham.”

“Hey! This is a sports show. Let’s get outta politics. Talk about Dee, your Point Guard.”

“He’s been terrific for us. I hate to see him graduate. He dishes the ball well, has a great assist to turnover ratio, and plays excellent D. Point Guard is the most important position in college hoops and he’s responsible, in large part, for our success.”

“Marty in Southea.”

“Coach you’re a dirty communist and I hope-“

“Thank you, Marty, but that’s more than enough of that.”

“Funny how to some people free speech only applies to people they agree with.”

“Okay, we’re out of time. See you next week, Coach.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users