Sign in to follow this  
Paul T

A few suggestions

Because I'm in a post-y mood today.  This is mostly a copy and paste from a thread I started over a year ago, with a few items removed, but still think all of these suggestions would be great for the game.

(1) PLAYER STATS

I would LOVE the ability to export player/league stats into excel.  At the very least, have the league stats page show more than the Top 20.  Maybe top 100-200.  Additionally, I think it would be cool to have some type of stats archive for each league by season - and team by season.  I guess I'm just hoping for some better/expanded options for current season and historical stats without having to dig into them by team and/or player.  For example, if someone wanted to see stats for their league from two seasons ago... or their own team's stats from two seasons ago, etc.

(2) DRAFT PREP

I feel that drafting should be a big part of this game.  There are quite a few reasons why managers trade away their draft picks and I think one of the main reasons is not wanting to spend the time preparing for the draft.  I know a few guys on here that do their research and it takes them many hours (15-20 hour range).  Of course you don't have to put THAT much effort into it, but every team gets 2 draft picks and with leagues expanding to 28 teams, there's a lot of data to review.  There has to be an easier way than looking up each player one by one, especially with everything to consider (Current Overall, Improvement, Individual attribute ratings, Stats, Traits, Injury history, Height/Weight).  That's a lot of info to sort through.  I think managers should be encouraged to put some time into the draft, but it should be more efficient.  Not even sure what I'm asking here.  Maybe a way to export some of this info into excel, even if it's just the base info like Overall Rating, Height/Weight, Hand...? 

(3) TACTICS BY LINE

This one might need a separate thread/vote.

Initially discussed here:  http://forums.gmgames.org/topic/8862-adding-more-tactics/

My suggestion was that team should be allowed to play different tactics per line.  So for example, a smaller faster line for transition rushes... a bigger physical line who can crash the net, etc.  I think it would allow managers to get more creative with their lines.  Even if teams were only allowed to become fully familiar with 2 tactics instead of all 4 to keep some sort of identity.  Maybe instead of being familiar with only 1 O/D tactic, teams can be familiar with 2.  I don't know if this is possible and I'm not looking to make this too complex, just looking to add a bit more depth to the game, if possible.

(4) SHOOTOUT LINEUP & STATS

This one has been discussed a few times over the past 2 years.  I would love the ability to set a lineup for shootouts.  Pick your best 5 players... and if the shootout is tied after 5 shots, have it repeat.  A lot of important games have ended in shootouts recents and you are helpless to the result as you have very little control over it.  Additionally, it would be great if there were separate stats for shootouts.

Discussed here:  http://forums.gmgames.org/topic/5142-shootout-lineup/

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

I like all the suggestions here except the 3rd one (tactics by line). Usually a real team has a certain way to play hockey, and usually it's some version of the existing archetypes. Perhaps more variation for the line focuses. Perhaps an option to make one line, for example, play two-way while your team tactic is puck possession, but make it a two-way with more direct play that would benefit more physical players. I don't know if I'm being clear enough on this, but it's just two cents out of my murky brain.

I like all the suggestions here except the 3rd one (tactics by line). Usually a real team has a certain way to play hockey, and usually it's some version of the existing archetypes. Perhaps more variation for the line focuses. Perhaps an option to make one line, for example, play two-way while your team tactic is puck possession, but make it a two-way with more direct play that would benefit more physical players. I don't know if I'm being clear enough on this, but it's just two cents out of my murky brain.

I'm not sure I totally agree.  In almost every NHL game you see teams use all of these strategies in a single game.  One shift they are cycling the puck down deep, the next shift they dump and chase, the next shift they get a takeaway and transition up ice quickly.  Often times a single line will use 2 or 3 of these tactics per shift.  I don't think teams are limited to a single tactic.  I get why the developers set the game up this way as it simplifies things quite a bit and forces managers to focus on obtaining players that fit their tactical choice.  This is also why I suggested an alternate solution of limiting teams to become familiar with 2 tactics instead of all 4.  That might be a good mix of keeping the original theme while adding a bit more depth to your overall strategy.

Okay I think I wasn't clear enough. I've had a long day, so bear with me. I'm familiar with what you're saying, Paul, but still the main identity of a team comes from the main idea of how they (coaching) want to play the game. This is why I wouldn't mess with the tactics as much as with the line focuses. By having more options in the line focus menu, you could make some lines lean toward a different kind of gameplay (tactic) without completely changing it to something different. Dump & chases happen in every game, crash the nets happen in every game if an opportunity presents itself, puck possession is an important aspect of hockey and rushes happen in every game as well. I guess I just think of the tactics as setting the major backbone of how you want your team to play, but within that tactic, I'd like to see a lot more variation in the form of line focus options.

I do like the suggestion in itself, I just think we're having a different approach to it.

For number 2)

I think its right when those who are more willing to scout get the price for it BUT it really could have more tools. Maybe opinion to search players by certain skill rating range? Like on fa market.

For number 4)

Should be there and could also add 5vs3 lines and 3vs5 lines?

Few suggestions more without big explanarions:

-Visual line chemistry (should reward long term lines, so you get reward for keeping same players and lines even several seasons)

-National teams and maybe even best managers from previous seasons could go to manage them for a season and highlight being world cup

-option to compare two players by ratings and profile

-individual stats leaders for 18-21yo players

-historical games between two teams (adding some rivarly)

-historical top 20 stats on certain league and also in your team

-play-by-play live feed. Dont know if its essy to code but would make evening even more thrilling

-maybe U21 national teans too

-option to keep opponents specific player under extra focus

Okay I think I wasn't clear enough. I've had a long day, so bear with me. I'm familiar with what you're saying, Paul, but still the main identity of a team comes from the main idea of how they (coaching) want to play the game. This is why I wouldn't mess with the tactics as much as with the line focuses. By having more options in the line focus menu, you could make some lines lean toward a different kind of gameplay (tactic) without completely changing it to something different. Dump & chases happen in every game, crash the nets happen in every game if an opportunity presents itself, puck possession is an important aspect of hockey and rushes happen in every game as well. I guess I just think of the tactics as setting the major backbone of how you want your team to play, but within that tactic, I'd like to see a lot more variation in the form of line focus options.

Ah, I get what you're saying.  I still like the idea of multiple focuses better, but this is an interesting idea as well.  Conversations is always good - even when opinions differ.

For number 2)

I think its right when those who are more willing to scout get the price for it BUT it really could have more tools.

For number 4)

Should be there and could also add 5vs3 lines and 3vs5 lines?

#2, totally agree, but was trying to keep 2 things in mind.  First, sometimes managers just don't have a lot of free time to do much research due to real life obligations.  In those circumstances it would at least be nice to offer some way of exporting base information such as player overalls.  Also I think managers who put in the work should still get rewarded, but it would be cool to shave off some time and trim it down, say from 15 hours to 5 or 10.  Right now to thoroughly review the draft takes too many hours.

#4, if it's easy enough to code, definitely.  Otherwise, our PP and PK are already set up, so I assume PP wouldn't change and PK would just remove the winger.

#2, totally agree, but was trying to keep 2 things in mind.  First, sometimes managers just don't have a lot of free time to do much research due to real life obligations.  In those circumstances it would at least be nice to offer some way of exporting base information such as player overalls.  Also I think managers who put in the work should still get rewarded, but it would be cool to shave off some time and trim it down, say from 15 hours to 5 or 10.  Right now to thoroughly review the draft takes too many hours.

If nothing else was improved despite adding an export function that goes directly to a spreadsheet it would still be one of the best updates we've seen in this game. Manually putting in prospect information is what eats so much time in regards to "scouting". I've got it down to about 5 minutes per player. Though when it's 100-150 players being tracked every draft that's 12 and a half hours alone just putting the players into the database. 

Adding an export function wouldn't cheat the managers that do the extra work because you still have to follow through and actually build the database of players and put in the time assessing it and compiling your own rankings. It would just lift a massive time investment off of those that already do it and maybe make the process more approachable to managers that don't scout the draft in depth.

If nothing else was improved despite adding an export function that goes directly to a spreadsheet it would still be one of the best updates we've seen in this game. Manually putting in prospect information is what eats so much time in regards to "scouting". I've got it down to about 5 minutes per player. Though when it's 100-150 players being tracked every draft that's 12 and a half hours alone just putting the players into the database. 

Adding an export function wouldn't cheat the managers that do the extra work because you still have to follow through and actually build the database of players and put in the time assessing it and compiling your own rankings. It would just lift a massive time investment off of those that already do it and maybe make the process more approachable to managers that don't scout the draft in depth.

That's exactly it.  Clicking through 500+ players to check their overall (so you don't miss a gem) takes at least an hour.  That gives you your list of prospects you want to scout.  For me it's typically 75-100 players, and I'm in GHL.  If you're in a lower league you have to do more research.  If you are thorough, you spend a good 5 minutes on each player upfront, then another 5 minutes on each player closer to the draft (checking development, stats, etc.).  If 75 players that's 12.5 hours, on top of the hour you spend doing the initial scrub, the hour it takes to add all to your shortlist and click the up/down arrows to rank them for the draft, and before that a good 5 hours of ranking each player (in excel or whatever).  That's almost 20 hours.

I think if there was an export function that would cut this down a bit, it would encourage managers to spend time doing draft research.  Most just say the hell with it and trade their picks for an established player and I don't really blame them.  So I still think that managers will have to put in the time and will be rewarded if they do, but I think there should be options to make it more efficient.  There should be a benefit to drafting and developing your own players.

I think for drafting, straight up listing the total overall should not be added.  Part of drafting irl or in games is supposed to be kinda iffy cause not every player will work out.  What I would suggest, is either add a scout option like other games where it gives you a rough idea but you only know for sure if your scout scouts them more.  Idk if that would be hard to program or not.

If that would be difficult, then my alternative is to list individual attribute overalls, but leave their total overall completely hidden.  I agree that sorting through them takes a lot of time, but if everyone already knows the player overall, then it will be the best players going first, and you get shafted lower down.  

I still think that kinda having hidden gems makes the draft fun, as well as the uncertainty of if there was a better option if you didn't do your homework.

I think for drafting, straight up listing the total overall should not be added.  Part of drafting irl or in games is supposed to be kinda iffy cause not every player will work out.  What I would suggest, is either add a scout option like other games where it gives you a rough idea but you only know for sure if your scout scouts them more.  Idk if that would be hard to program or not.

If that would be difficult, then my alternative is to list individual attribute overalls, but leave their total overall completely hidden.  I agree that sorting through them takes a lot of time, but if everyone already knows the player overall, then it will be the best players going first, and you get shafted lower down.  

I still think that kinda having hidden gems makes the draft fun, as well as the uncertainty of if there was a better option if you didn't do your homework.

I think in theory you are right.  The main reason I don't necessarily agree with this is because the overall ratings are already known... for current players, for free agents, for prospects... so it's not equivalent to real life that way.  To me the overall rating is the absolute base info you can get on a player, so why not make it easier to retrieve (along with shot R/L, height, weight).  In real life there are so many draft analysts, that they kind of tell you how good a player is at a certain time.

To me, the deeper information is the specific attributes.  Personally, I don't really go by the players overall rating since I want them to fit my team and a specific line and role.  The more in depth info is attributes, injury history, traits, stats and development.  Development probably being the biggest one since that impacts where a player will land overall.  I also strongly believe that stats are a good indicator of how well players perform.  I've acquired some players in the past with high overalls who just can't score and others who exceed expectations, so I think that is a great hidden trait.

But I would also be onboard with being able to export the specific attributes and leaving the overall hidden as well.  Just SOMETHING to shave off some time and encourage managers to do draft research.  Right now I think there's 2 types of managers when it comes to the draft.  Those who spend 10+ hours and those who don't bother at all.  I could be wrong.

I honestly don't think being able to rank by overall would impact anything. The key about the draft is the players development rates, not what their overall is at the time of the draft. There could be two players around the same ranking: Player A is 85 overall and Player B is 83 overall. If Player A started the game as a 15 year old with 75 overall while player B came in at 60 overall, that means player B has developed at a far greater rate. 

Properly scouting the draft should get you some idea of where players will be a couple seasons down the line, that's where you're really drafting for, especially if you're a GHL team.

That's why I don't see any issue with being able to rank overall. An export function would be a massive asset because even for managers that don't have formulas put into their spreadsheets, having players ratings on the same page is a far more efficient way for comparison than going back and fourth between pages. 

Something that I'd like to see added is...if a player is on waivers then he can't be included in a trade offer unless he's taken off of waivers beforehand.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this