Photo

An observation on Training (and some questions)

• Please log in to reply

Posted October 16, 2019 - 09:39 AM

Paul T

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Warning:  Another book of a post written by Paul T.  Please proceed with caution.

There are many factors involved in training such as the intensity level, offensive/defensive/general, and what tactics you play - but I think the most important factor is the Player Role.  I think this because I have tracked my players progress for quite a few seasons, both new and old worlds.

I could list many examples, but to save everyone some time, I'll give a specific one.  My 19 year old Hemminki Jokinen.  Below is a table that shows his development per attribute for the minors (Cage S1) and his first season as a pro (Cage S2).

Attribute   Minors   Pros

Skate         +5         +2

Pass          +3         +1

Puck          +7         +3

Shot          +3         +2

Def            +8         +2

Phys         +1         +1

Spir           +6         +4

End           +1         +2

Now most of the rates seem to be in line with my previous research that shows that players "typically" improve at a rate of 50% in their first year as a pro as compared to the minors (again, there were exceptions in my research, which are likely due to the other factors mentioned above + the hidden potential and ratings caps, etc.).

The only two that seemed to have material variances are Defense and Spirit.  Defense did not continue to progress as it did in the minors and Spirit progressed the most, despite progressing 3rd overall in the minors behind Defense and Puck.  The main reason for this is because Jokinen played a Two Way role in the minors and last season I had him as a Grinder all season, thus the decrease in Defense and increase in Spirit.  Training was also on Hard and General.

This poses two questions for the Admins.

First, in terms of training, when does the game take into account all the factors for training??  For example, if a player plays a game as a Two Way, but then his role is changed right after the game to Playmaker - does the player train as a Two Way or Playmaker?  I would assume it is whatever the player role is at the time the training runs, but I also know that ice time plays a factor (taking faceoffs in game improves faceoffs), so maybe the opposite is true... would be nice to confirm!

Second, are there plans to have more advanced training in the future, such as training for a specific role eventhough the player currently fills another role?  Obviously if a player is 99 Shot and 85 Passing, you want to play them as a Sniper, but would prefer the player trained Passing.

Back to the first point, if the answer is right before the training occurs, more active managers could play certain roles and train as others, but obviously this would have to be toggled daily and be quite time consuming.  Having the second point as an option would eliminate the need for that. 

The End.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted October 18, 2019 - 01:32 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • 25 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

I can't answer what you are asking but I figured that I would throw a few points into here as well.

Yes, the player role makes a difference in training from what I understand. However, team tactics play a bigger role if I understand correctly.

In terms of the growth of individual skill, it has been changed as well on a player by player basis. As a result, not all players will grow the same rate for every skill. In the prior version of the game, there was little difference in the growth rate between players as a result. On top of that, not all players have a skill cap of 99 for every skill anymore. The combination of the two made it pretty impossible to distinguish elite players from the rest in the past iteration of the game.

That said I think it is more than safe to say that we are all still learning the details of the "new" development system.

Posted October 18, 2019 - 12:37 PM

Paul T

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

the player role makes a difference in training from what I understand. However, team tactics play a bigger role if I understand correctly.

Half question/Half thinking out loud... and this just dawned on me... do you think when training is set to Offensive or Defensive that it factors in mostly Tactics - and when the training is set to General it factors in mostly player Role?

That would be interesting.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted October 18, 2019 - 04:03 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • 25 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

I am just guessing here but I would think mostly tactics by a ratio of 2 to 1 no matter what.

Posted October 23, 2019 - 07:51 PM

granpubah

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: January 2017
Rep - Reliable

glad to read Paul T's observation on training but I train general moderate for everyone in the old system it seemed to keep everybody fresh and trained up most of my young players at a constant rate.  Now few players pop lots of players seem to drop for little reason except usage rate.  (3rd and 4th liners drop more than bench warmers) And then there are pops and drops like today that make zero sense.   In Buzzer GHL  Jerome Brunner an 82 oa 32 y/o 1st line D/man dropped.  while a 4th line recently injured and currently waived forward popped.    What's up with that????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users