Wick Schozen

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Does anyone know if the development of a 90+ overall player decreases if they are in the SHL? I know that players development decreases if they're over a certain overall and placed on the affiliate team. Is it the same though for a player on their entry level deal if they are on a team that is relegated?

Posted August 27, 2019 - 09:00 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • 25 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

On the main team in the SHL? No. So long as it doesn't say that they feel too good for the competition you are fine. If anything it is a great chance to get 2 top 4 GHL picks in a 3 season span that will ideally be a strong foundation that will keep your team in the GHL.

On that note, this is why I don't get SHL teams trading their 1st round pick to GHL teams if they are on the cusp of getting to the GHL. Unless the GHL team is offering a minimum of 5 players over 85 overall the value just isn't there to be had. You would be significantly better off getting that top 4 pick yourself no matter if you go back down or not. Also if you go back down there is an increased chance of going back up and getting another top 4 pick the next year. If you are going to trade a 1st round pick trade the one you get when you are in the GHL.

Edit: On this note, an SHL team offered a draft pick for my goalie Calcutt on my GHL team. I sent them a message asking if they were sure and they never got back to me so I never accepted it. The trade just wasn't fair for them in terms of what they could get with that pick if they promoted relative to what they got.

Posted August 28, 2019 - 01:28 AM

Wick Schozen

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Thanks for clarifying that. I had two 87+ players in the SHL last season as 18 year olds and they didn't have any lapses with what I projected their development to be. But if I'm back down next season my franchise cornerstone will be 93-94 overall and I'd hate to lose a year of progress during his prime development years. 

I'm in season three of my rebuild and the two shots at first overall through promotion picks are the main reason I decided to go the relegation route with rebuilding. At the start of season six (buzzer) I'm going to do a full write up on my rebuild. Keeping it in tune to how I normally put out my write ups but I figured with the amount of notes that I keep on everything I do with this game I'll be able to offer a good perspective on this route of building a roster that can offer good insight for other managers. 

I completely agree with you on the topic of SHL teams with the potential to promote trading their picks. I've made those trades twice now with this franchise but as with all my trades there is a really open dialogue with the team I'm trading with and I make sure the manager is aware that I believe they'll be able to promote. I think managers are getting better about it. When I speak to teams that are shoo-ins to promote they don't even entertain the idea of trading that pick. Whereas if I approach a manager that's in the middle of the pack in the standings they're more willing to take the players for a chance at promoting and as a result give up their pick.

Posted September 11, 2019 - 06:48 AM

Peekaboo

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Reliable

Man, I took an Attack to team to experiment and going back and forth for 2 or 3 seasons is like best thing you can do in longterm. 

Right now, top prospects on Attack are insane, 94 rated defender and some brilliant 88-89 rated guys with great skills and perks.

First of all, all your rookies have 3 years contract where you are not in danger of losing them. You relegate and most likely you will promote again, gaining another generational talent, if lucky with prospects.

Honestly, why would any SHL team trade their best asset even for 85+ rated players is beyond reason? Those players will help you get back to GHL and for what? Only thing that matters if you return to GHL is to get that bloody first 1-4 pick.

Honestly, I would ban trading in between leagues and furthermore I would just ban trading SHL picks due to their huge cinderella type value they have.

Posted September 11, 2019 - 08:39 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • 25 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Honestly, why would any SHL team trade their best asset even for 85+ rated players is beyond reason?

To rush to the GHL. It is a similar story when teams trade their picks lower in the leagues. They are in a rush to get to the next league up and throw their picks away for relatively poor value in return.

Posted 47 minutes ago

Peekaboo

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Reliable

They get players they can't use in GHL when they promote. So, basically, you're giving future star (except this year Cage crazy not talented draft) for players you can use for 1 season. Makes no sense to me. But ok...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users