StLee

Fallout: New Vegas' Mojave Baseball League [Retired]

Year 2: Preseason Predictions Report

At 6 AM on the first day of the season, there was a knock at my door. Outside it was Poseidon Last Name, the center fielder for Novac (RobCo). I asked him what he was doing at my place in New Vegas when he had a game in Novac later that day. 

"Don't worry about that," he said. "Lee told me to be here. Besides, I'm trying out one of those prototype motorcycles by that guy out in Nellis. I'll be there as soon as I leave here." 

The reason Lee told Last Name to be at my place was because of a disk. Last Name asked me to use my computer, so I powered it on. I was sleepy and cranky but curious. 

"It's something my team at RobCo was working on. We just finished it about three hours ago, so I rushed it here. It's the baseball screen." 

My eyes lit up with fascination as more behind-the-scenes information was unfolding before my eyes. With the use of a few computer programs, Last Name and his team input data and created a screen of that data with all of the possible outcomes of the league averaged into a final output. Last Name called it the Preseason Predictions Report, so that's what it is. 

I asked to get my camera to take a picture of my computer. 

"I have one even better for you," Last Name said. He pressed a button on my keyboard I had never used before, at least with any results. It was the "PrtSc" button. "Now, let me just open this up and... bam! Now you can load this straight to your PipBoy and save it to your fancy computer journal." 

It was beautiful. I don't know how Boone and Last Name and the rest of the team at RobCo was doing it, but they may have created the single most important thing ever in the history of man: the RNC. 

Here's my PipBoy version of the first ever glimpse of the Mojave Baseball League RNC screen: 

2286H_zpse5941750.jpg
2286H2_zpsc8caba86.jpg

I was so happy with how much easier this creation was going to make my life that I could not help it but to throw my arms around Last Name. He was really uncomfortable and turned red and shook himself out of my grasp. I felt bad about that, but I was genuinely happy. 

We talked about what was on the page a little. It looked like there could be a Mojave Series rematch between the Lucky 38s and the Bears, though Sunset Sarsaparilla was geared to make a run. We also talked about the prediction that Novac would be the worst team in the league. 

"Don't you worry about that," Last Name said. "We'll surprise everybody, even our master computer." 

Thanks for the predictions, Mr. Last Name. Now it was time for baseball.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: April 2286

2286StandingsAMay1_zpsd9aff11b.jpg

April Awards

Batter of the Month

The Mojave Baseball League Batter of the Month has been chosen for April and the trophy was presented to George O'Kill of the North Vegas Radscorpions.

He stood out this month with a .379 batting average, 22 hits and 10 home runs, along with 22 RBIs and 15 runs scored.

Pitcher of the Month

Tom Nelson hasn't been around the big leagues long enough to know that youngsters shouldn't be winning Mojave Baseball League Pitcher of the Month. But when you put up numbers like his, you're going to get some notice.

In April the Vault-Tec starter earned a 5-0 mark in 5 starts. He threw 36.1 innings, struck out 29 and compiled a solid 0.99 ERA.

Rookie of the Month - The rookie award will be based on any player under 23 years old who is a true first year player or deemed to be a small time player in the first year of the MBL. 

Sunset Sarsaparilla's Dave Griffin collected 22 hits to snare the Mojave Baseball League Rookie of the Month for April.

He batted .289 with 3 home runs, 12 RBIs and 7 runs scored.

The 21-year-old is barely old enough to shave, but he could definitely contend for Rookie of the Year if he keeps up this pace.

News and Notes

4.7.86 – Player Suspensions (Major Chem Use – 2nd Offense AND Major Chem Use – 1st Offense)

The Freeside Kings’ Jeremiah Morgan may want to get his act together if he ever wants to be the breakout star he predicts he will be. At this rate, Morgan may have to be the breakout king of the NCR Correctional Facility.

Morgan, who we may rename Moron, just three days removed from his Stimpak positive, went the serious route and tested positive for Psycho. Now the Freeside infielder will have to sit an additional 20 games. Not only that, but if he tests positive again for anything, Morgan will be out of the league. 

Apparently it was a team party since Tim Bradley also tested positive for Psycho. Bradley’s first test was mixed with some other unknown substance, so he was allowed to play. However, after the game a second test came up with a Psycho positive, meaning Bradley will serve a 20-game suspension just like Moron. 

4.8.86 – Player Suspension (Major Chem Use)

Minor leaguer Josh Carr got himself into trouble by testing positive for Rocket. The young second baseman can now sit for the next 15 games revving his engine but going nowhere to start the season. 

4.9.86 – Team Low

Atomic Wrangler may want to find its bats! Hell, its pitching, too! 

The Wranglers have not scored a run in its first three games, losing 3-0 and 13-0 to Vault-Tec, and now 6-0 to New Vegas. Atomic Wrangler has hit just .128 (9 for 70) with Scary Danny Parker getting the only extra base hit and leading the team with three hits. 

4.12.86 – Player personal leave

Novac minor leaguer Ken Clark has left the team for personal reasons. His return is unknown. 

Reports from an unnamed team source was that Clark, who was adopted by a family, had apparently found his birth parents, and they were set to reunite. He was reportedly born to Jor and Lara El. A series of letters came to him, and he thought he would meet them. Unfortunately, the reunion was all a ruse by a 13-year-old boy who read an old comic book in the Novac library. 

4.14.86 – Player suspension (chem use)

The NCR’s Troy Caldwell, a second-year minor leaguer, was found to have used Buffout. Because of the scrawny first baseman’s sudden need for power, he will sit out 10 games. Maybe during that time he can, you know, actually lift weights. 

4.19.86 – Player trade

The North Vegas Radscorpions traded 25-year-old right fielder Zack Cameron to the Tops Mutants, getting 33-year-old catcher L'il Tony T-Snizzle Hensley in return.

4.20.86 - Player suspension (chem use)

The NCR lost another player. This time minor leaguer Artie Dennis left the league for a three-game vacation for using Rebound. 

Dennis has been reportedly been dealing with an illness in his family. Team reports say it is his three-year-old daughter who is suffering from severe radiation poisoning. 

4.20.86 – Mojave incident

A small group of Powder Gangers blew up the press box of Primm Community Field in the middle of the night. They were caught and are being held in the Primm prison awaiting an NCR investigation. 

The sticks of dynamite completely destroyed the press box, meaning that the teams had to make an emergency trip to South Vegas to play in the Vault Boys’ minor league facility at the Vault 3 Grounds. Vault-Tec’s headquarters are located inside Vault 3. 

Lee announced that Vault-Tec would share the field with its minor league team while the Primm Community Field press box was rebuilt. Lee would also work on adding more seats to the Vault 3 Grounds facility to allow more fans into the games. 

While Vault-Tec and South Vegas are sharing the field, all Prospect League games that interfere will be played in the morning and all MBL games in the late afternoon.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: May 2286

Standings

2286StandingsBJune1_zps8e5455c8.jpg

May Awards

Batter of the Month

May's Hitter of the Month has been selected by the Mojave Baseball League. This month's trophy was presented to the Novac shortstop, Bobby McGuire.

He starred by hitting .320 with a .509 on-base percentage, totaled 24 hits in 75 at-bats, 2 home runs, 13 RBIs and scored 25 runs.

A look at his current stats shows McGuire with a .350 average, 4 home runs, 19 RBIs and 37 runs scored. He has played in 45 games.

Pitcher of the Month

Ron Heath was the anchor in the Ultra Luxe bullpen last month and snatched up the Mojave Baseball League Pitcher of the Month honors for May. The 28-year-old is in the prime of his career and pitching like he intends to stay around baseball for quite some time to come.

He threw 10.2 innings over 11 relief appearances and collected a 2-0 record with 10 strikeouts and 6 saves while etching his 0.84 ERA.

This season Heath has notched 7 saves with 16 strikeouts and 3 walks in 16.1 innings while registering a 4.41 ERA and a 3-0 won-lost record.

Rookie of the Month

A veritable toddler to the Mojave Baseball League, Tom Junktown Junkie just sewed up the Rookie of the Month trophy for May.

Over the past month the 19-year-old first baseman for Gomorrah hit .324 with 35 hits, no home runs and 8 runs batted in. He also logged 2 walks and compiled a .336 on-base percentage.

Currently Junktown Junkie is batting .311 with no home runs and 9 RBIs.

News and Notes

5.1.86  - Player personal leave

We reported at the time of his suspension that New California Republic minor leaguer Artie Dennis has a sick daughter. Now Dennis has a chance to take care of her.

Dennis is taking a personal leave from the NCR Cubs to see a radiation sickness expert visiting from Shady Sands. Reportedly Radaway has been ineffective in curing his daughter’s radiation poison and her voice is starting to take on a ghoul’s tone. 

The radiation expert is supposedly very good at preventing the onset of ghoulism in people in the early stages of transformation. 

5.1.86 – Players suspension (fighting)

A post-game bar fight turned nearly deadly and cost one player his eye. 

Following RobCo’s 11-4 victory at Cottonwood Cove, the teams went out together to at The Tit on the Lake. There Lakelurks third baseman Andrew Zimmerman and RobCo shortstop Chris Parker got into an argument that eventually became a fist fight. 

Zimmerman then picked up a whiskey bottle and hit Parker with it, severing Parker’s left eye from the socket. 

Both players are considered top prospects in the Mojave Baseball League and the incident may have been one of egos colliding. Parker is the 18th ranked prospect, while Zimmerman is the 13th ranked prospect. 

Parker will miss about a month to get eye reparation or replacement surgery in the New Vegas Medical Clinic. Zimmerman was automatically suspended 30 games for using a weapon in a fight with a league member. 

5.7.86  - Player return

Good news for New California Republic minor leaguer Artie Dennis. After taking a leave to see radiation sickness and ghoulism expert Dr. Salty Van Gina, Dennis is happy to report that his daughter is cured of all radiation sickness. 

“She’s laughing and playing and sounds like a three-year-old again, not a 98-year-old chain smoker,” Dennis said. 

Dennis returns to the lineup tonight for the NCR Cubs’ game at Bitter Springs. 

5.13.86 – Player suspension (chem use)

It took a while in May for there to be a positive chem test. And the sweepstakes winner is . . . a nobody. Shane Danior of the Tops organization and who is probably destined to spend the entirety of his career in the minors tested positive for Med-X. He will now sit five games. Yawn. Wake us up when a major player gets busted. 

5.15.86 – Player suspension (major chem use)

Tony Ocasio has only been with the Atomic Wrangler organization for two weeks after being picked up as a street free agent. Now the occasional minor league player will be suspended the next 15 games for testing positive for Fixer. He may also find himself back on the street. 

5.19.86 – Team suspension (alcohol incident)

Young people can be pretty stupid when it comes to alcohol. Sunset Sarsaparilla’s Jeffery Thomason is an outright idiot. 

Just two days after winning the Prospect Leagues Player of the Week award with Bitter Springs and the same day that the Fire Ants awarded him by promoting him to the big league club, Thomason got drunk in celebration and destroyed the team’s batting cage. 

Sunset Sarsaparilla then suspended the youngster for the next nine games and will probably have to call Tom Somerset, whom they just demoted, back to the big league club. 

5.23.86 – Death

Sad news in the Mojave Baseball League today as minor leaguer Ben MacDougall, signed just two weeks ago by the Ultra Luxe organization, has died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was found at the Cottonwood Cove Overlook. 

The youngster was not drafted in the 2285 draft. Reportedly he was working hard to make a team, but only recently was signed and then assigned to Hidden Valley. However, he could not earn his way onto the field and was close to being released. 

The team was considering canceling today’s game against the Lakelurks, but owner Marjorie Hand denied that request. She said that death is a part of the Mojave, so the games must go on even if a player dies. 

(Author’s note: Sorry if this part of the dynasty offends anyone. I am trying to stay true to the Mojave world, so death is a very real part of the game. However, suicide doesn’t have to be. I have a chart I am using. I rolled snake eyes, meaning player injury event; random numbered self injury, meaning something done to himself; and then another snake eyes equaled death, thus suicide. Again, if this is offensive, let me know—you can PM me—and I will make sure this type of random event never happens again. Likely it won't, but it could.) 

5.25.86 – Player suspension (major chem use)

Greg Greer probably thought he would be having a better year. But the youngster has been struggling from the Goodsprings pen with a 6.11 ERA. Now he has been suspended 15 games and entered into the league’s major chem use program after testing positive for Jet. 

5.31.86 – Player absence

The Goodsprings organization probably panicked when they were missing a key player for his start today: Earl Robinson, the staff ace. 

Instead, it was a case of bad timing and bad luck. Robinson made a quick trip to Goodsprings from the series against Atomic Wrangler in Westside to help his wife move to their new place. 

Unfortunately, help meant doing it alone, and Robinson found himself locked in a bathroom that locked from the outside only. Team officials were aware that Robinson was in Goodsprings, so a search for him discovered him in his unfortunate situation. As a third unfortunate event, Robinson missed the game against the Wranglers. 

Thankfully for Robinson, Buck Buckley stepped in and the Lucky 38s offense cruised to an 11-3 victory. Goodsprings has the day off today, but Robinson is expected to get the start tomorrow at Gomorrah. 

5.31.86 – Team suspension

Collin Kotb of Gomorrah has been suspended by the team for habitual alcohol abuse. The team will give him a two-week break to get his act together. With travel time to and from the rehabilitation facility, Kotb is expected to miss the next 12-14 games.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: June 2286

Standings

2286StandingsCJuly1_zps4700eb2c.jpg

June Awards

Batter of the Month

The #1 hitter in the Mojave Baseball League in June was North Vegas first baseman George O'Kill. He was selected the Batter of the Month.

O'Kill starred with a .352 batting average, 8 home runs and 17 RBIs. 

This year O'Kill has socked 72 hits in 205 at-bats for a .351 average with 23 home runs. He is getting on base at a .466 pace and his totals also include 57 RBIs and 46 runs scored.

Pitcher of the Month

North Vegas' Nate Camp has made fans throughout Mojave Baseball League take notice over the past month with an exceptional 6-0 record. No pitcher in the Mojave Baseball League threw better in June, garnering him the Pitcher of the Month award today.

In 6 starts Camp compiled a 1.35 ERA, putting up a 6-0 record, striking out 31 and tossing 46.2 innings.

Currently Camp has a 11-2 won-lost record in 15 starts with a 2.42 ERA. He also has 71 strikeouts in 108 innings.

Rookie of the Month

Dave Griffin earned June's Rookie of the Month honors in the Mojave Baseball League for last month's performance. The boyish Sunset Sarsaparilla shortstop might be wet behind the ears, but he's proving that he has what it takes to play at this level.

Griffin hit .242 with 6 doubles, 4 home runs, 19 RBIs and 11 runs scored this past month on his way to winning the award.

Griffin currently has a .239 batting average with 65 hits, 8 homers, 45 RBIs, 22 runs scored and a .261 OBP.

News and Notes

6.4.86 – Player suspension (Major chem use)

North Vegas minor league outfielder Ben Bell has been having an excellent year with the H&H Tool Company Reds. He has batted .344 (21 for 61) with 6 doubles, 6 homers, 23 RBI, and 12 runs. 

However, now that he has tested positive for Rocket, the 30-year-old has to sit the next 15 games, maybe costing him any chance to move up to the big club for the second half of the season in their playoff run. 

6.7.86 – Player suspension (Major chem use)

Ultra Luxe was once known as a place of … unusual tastes. Now it is a Lee-forced classy joint with an owner who keeps her Hand in everything. 

Well, today, the club that keeps stockpiling players to sit the bench in the minors will have 20 games to give some players some work. 

Middle reliever Wilford NCR, a first-year player who earned his way onto the big league club, went cuckoo for Psycho chems and got caught. Now the White Gloves will be without one of their better young relievers and the team’s current best-performing reliever for a good chunk of the second half of the season. 

6.7.86 – Team suspension (Insubordination)

Vault-Tec starting pitcher Greg Thompson had a terrible performance in yesterday’s come-from-behind 8-6 victory over Goodsprings. 

Thompson left the game behind 4-2 after giving up four runs in five innings. After he was pulled, he reportedly told the manager and pitching coaches to “Go **** yourselves with centaur cocks.” 

Because of his insubordination, the team is giving him a five-game break to reconsider his attitude. 

6.8.86 – League change (Playoffs)

Commissioner Lee mentioned it a few days ago. Now the Mojave Baseball League has made it official. 

Beginning this postseason, the first round of the playoffs will be a seven-game series instead of the five-game series it was a year ago. 

According to Lee, the popularity of the league is increasing, and it’s time to award the best teams with an opportunity to play more games. 

Reacting to the possibility of adding a fourth team to the playoffs, Lee said, “Not yet, not this year anyway. But we are already talking expanding the league, so if we add two or more teams to the league, we will definitely have four teams in the playoffs.” 

6.8.86 – Player suspension (chem use)

Camp McCarran middle reliever Dan Barlow has had some considerable control issues in his time in the Mojave Baseball League. This year the Brahmin pitcher has walked 28 batters in 52.1 innings pitched. 

That may explain why Barlow took some Steady. Still, steady is an illegal chem and Barlow will now sit the next four games. 

6.14.86 – Player trade

The Camp McCarran Brahmin traded 25-year-old center fielder Ricardo García to the Atomic Wrangler Wranglers, getting 18-year-old minor league first baseman Don Weeks in return.

6.21.86 – Player suspension (chem use)

Sunset Sarsaparilla minor leaguer Eric Fuller was suspended five games for using a Stimpak. 

6.24.86 – Player trade

The North Vegas Radscorpions traded 25-year-old first baseman Kevin Murphy to the Camp McCarran Brahmin, getting 18-year-old minor league reliever Dan Huff and 18-year-old minor league left fielder Alvin Miller in return.

6.25.86 – Player suspension (chem use)

Catcher Weldon Brown was having such a great season at Prospects League H&H Tool Company that the North Vegas Scorpions recently brought him up to the bigs. 

Brown was batting an impressive .380 (70 for 184) with 11 doubles, a triple, 20 home runs, 53 RBI, and 61 runs, meaning he was already in minor league player of the year contention. 

But the Radscorpions could use him as a solid-hitting backup catcher for a team that has a real offensive weakness at the position. And that is just what he did. In four games, Brown was 4 for 6 with an RBI for the MBL club. 
However, Brown was caught today with Steady in his system, and he will miss the next four games of his MBL career. 

6.26.86 – Players suspended (fighting)

Gomorrah and Camp McCarran played a stellar game yesterday with two stellar performances for the Devils in the 6-4 10-inning win. 

In the game, Gomorrah pitcher John Harrison pitched the complete game victory, racking up 10 innings and giving up four runs on 11 hits with four strikeouts. Harrison also hit a two-run homer in the game. The game was won on a walk-off two-run homer by Frederick Sharpe, his second of the game. 

That is when the problem started. Camp McCarran left fielder Jason Hartman took exception to Sharpe’s homerun trot and charged the player as he crossed the plate. The two scuffled for a minute before being broken up. 

The league office was not happy with a great game ending on such a bitter note. Still, the fight was minor, and so were the penalties. Hartman will now be suspended 6 games for starting the fight, and Sharpe will sit 3 games. 

6.30.86 – Player injury

Goodsprings fans and Jimmy LaRue fans are in mourning today. Yesterday LaRue was injured in the Lucky 38s 3-1 loss at Novac. 

LaRue attempted to catch a deep home run drive to straight away center field by Dinosaurs third baseman Ted Snyder, but slammed into the outfield fence. He was replaced by Jim Welch after the play. 

It appears that LaRue’s injury may be serious, which could mean extensive time missed for the star player. League rules state that players injured playing baseball and without life-threatening injuries cannot use chems to return to action. That means LaRue will have to heal in his own time or sacrifice the season to be able to use chems. Updates coming soon. 

6.30.86 – Player suspension (chem use)

New California Republic second baseman Rich Hall was suspended five games for using Mentats. In 16 games for the Bears, he is hitting .053 (1 for 19) after being called up from the NCR Cubs.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: Midseason Stats Leaders

These stats were compiled at the exact midway point of the season. All teams had played exactly 50 games at this point. 

Batting Leaders

2286LeadersABatters1stHalf_zpscbed7c1e.j

Pitching Leaders

2286LeadersBPitchers1stHalf_zps2b5af846.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: Prospects League

Final Standings

2286PLAStandings_zps053012ba.jpg

Playoffs

First Round

Game 1: Sloan 8 at South Vegas 4
Player of the Game: Mark Henson, CF, Sloan - 2 for 5, 3B, 3 RBI, R

Game 2: Sloan 7 at South Vegas 3
Player of the Game: Mark Henson, CF, Sloan - 3 for 4, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, R

Prospects League Championship

Game 1: Sloan 9 at Nuka Cola 6
Player of the Game: Barry Wilson, C, Sloan - 2 for 4, HR, 4 RBI, R

Game 2: Sloan 2 at Nuka Cola 10
Player of the Game: Julio Soto, SP, Nuka Cola - 7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 7 K

Game 3: Sloan 9 at Nuka Cola 14
Player of the Game: Zviad Taghiyeva, 2B, Nuka Cola - 3 for 4, 2B, HR, 4 RBI, 2 R

Game 4: Sloan 1 at Nuka Cola 4
Player of the Game: Gary Last Laugh, SP, Nuka Cola - 8 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K

Statistical Leaders

Batting Leaders

2286PLAStatsBatting_zpsd3706813.jpg

Pitching Leaders

2286PLAStatsPitching_zpsfbfad0c3.jpg

Season Awards

Hitter Award

2286PLAwardsAJesusMartinez_zps9c8f5fff.j

Jesús Martínez of H&H Tool Company had the sweet swing of success this year in the Prospects League and captured the Hitter of the Year.

The Reds first baseman stung opposing pitchers with a .423 batting average, collecting 40 home runs, 9 doubles, no triples, 120 hits, 98 RBIs and scored 81 runs.

Other votes: 2. George Benson, Cottonwood Cove; Barry Wilson, Sloan 

Pitcher Award

2286PLAwardsALeeWeathers_zps1acf6627.jpg

He's in the early phase of his career, but this past season Lee Weathers performed like a veteran on the hill for the South Vegas Cazadores and walked away with the Prospects League Pitcher of the Year in the process.

The 20-year-old Cazadores star fashioned a 12-3 won-loss record in 2286 with a 2.55 ERA. In 127 innings of work and 19 starts, Weathers struck out 121 while giving up 120 hits and 33 walks. He held opposing batters to a .240 average.

Other votes: 2. Pat Huber, Sloan; 3. Wilton Woods, Sloan

Best Rookie (Drafted player or unsigned free agent in first eligible year)

2286PLAwardsAPaulStrong_zps95f89976.jpg

The top rookie in the Prospects League was Aerotech center fielder Paul Strong. He impressed voters so much that they named him the 2286 Top Rookie recipient.

Strong put up some pretty fair numbers, including a .288 batting average and .326 on-base percentage, while racking up 12 home runs, 56 RBIs and 45 runs scored.

Other votes: 2. Nick Little Pecker, Aerotech; 3. Henry Jones, Hidden Valley

Postseason Award

2286PLAwardsAZviad_zps8919b6c0.jpg

Nuka Cola slammed its way to the first ever Prospects League championship thanks in large part to its leadoff hitter, Zviad Taghiyeva.

Now the 20-year-old can claim to be the most valuable player in his team's 3-1 Prospects League Championship win over Sloan. Taghiyeva went 10 for 17 (.588) with two doubles, a triple, a home run, seven RBI, seven runs, a walk, two strikeouts, and a stolen base. He led the team in hits, batting average, extra base hits, RBI, and runs in the series. 

Defense Awards

It's been said that the best offense is a good defense. That's why contending teams are always looking to improve on the defensive side of the game. Keeping runs from scoring is just as good as driving them in. The top fielders have been chosen in the Prospects League for 2286. Here are the Defense Award winners:

Pitcher: Darby Watson (Bitter Springs Refugees)
Catcher: Dustin Durward (NCR Cubs)
First Baseman: Pedro Pérez (Nipton Phoenix)
Second Baseman: Bob Morris (South Vegas Cazadores)
Third Baseman: Chris Andrews (Bitter Springs Refugees)
Shortstop: Héctor Ortíz (Bitter Springs Refugees)
Left Fielder: Matt Franklin (NCR Cubs)
Center Fielder: Steve Mann (Sloan Quarriers)
Right Fielder: Dennis Edwards (Aerotech Tops)

Who Dat? 

Year 2: July 2286

Standings

2286StandingsEAugust1_zps5c29e49f.jpg

July Awards

Batter of the Month

Hot-hitting catcher Frederick Sharpe of the Gomorrah Devils really pounded Mojave Baseball League pitchers in July, winning the Batter of the Month award.

He hit .337 with 7 home runs, 23 RBIs, 15 runs scored and 10 walks to finish with a .393 on-base percentage.

This year Sharpe has socked 107 hits in 356 at-bats for a .301 average with 25 home runs. He is getting on base at a .358 pace and his totals also include 74 RBIs and 52 runs scored.

Pitcher of the Month

"The kid had it all working last month," a veteran Sunset Sarsaparilla teammate told reporters. "He keeps up those kind of numbers, we might have to start inviting him out with us after the games."

Carlos Colón put together a very solid month to take home the Mojave Baseball League's top pitching honor in July.

The 25-year-old reliever threw like a veteran. In 14 relief appearances he raked in 10 saves and 22 strikeouts in 14.2 innings as he put together his 3-0 record and 1.23 ERA.

His season stats show Colón has 21 saves in 36 relief appearances with a 6-0 mark and 0.72 ERA.

On the downside, Colon has two offenses against him in the league chem program. One more, and he will not be winning anymore awards. 

Rookie of the Month (Author's note: ootp put a 30-year-old second year player here. GRRRRRR!!!!!! I keep having to change the rookie award. I wish I would have implemented it later in the dynasty or that it could be turned off or have a list of rookie eligible players... off to the ootp 15 suggestion boards I go!!!)

Novac's Francisco Riveria got hot in July in his first Mojave Baseball League season. Today he was hailed as the Mojave Baseball League Rookie of the Month.

He put up a .333 average with 3 doubles, 5 home runs, 17 RBIs and 15 runs scored.

Riveria is hitting .311 this year with 16 doubles, 25 home runs, 79 RBIs and 66 runs scored. He has 102 hits in 328 at-bats, 27 walks and a .376 on-base percentage. Riveria has played in 89 games.

News and Notes

7.2.86 – Player injury (Update)

Jimmy LaRue was placed on the 60-day disabled list. The Goodsprings center fielder told reporters that he expects to be "out of commission" for 7-8 months because of a broken bone in the elbow. He hasn't played since 06/29/2286 and, he said, he's "itchin' to get back out there” but he’ll “let it heal naturally.”

In 2286 LaRue has hit at a .373 clip with 103 hits, 5 home runs, 34 RBIs and has scored 45 times.

7.11.86 – Player fight

We are not sure what they’re past relationship is or what caused it exactly, but Cottonwood Cove and RobCo had to make last-minute scratches to their starting lineups due to a pre-game scuffle. 

Cottonwood Cove’s Malcolm Jenkins, who has really turned it on this season despite not considering to be very talented, approached Willis O’Quinn during team warm-ups. The two exchanged words and eventually started fighting. They were then both asked to leave the field and could not play in the game.

Jenkins was with the Lucky 38 (now Goodsprings) reserve squad last season but was released after the season. He was then picked up by Atomic Wrangler on April 8, having missed all spring training practices with an organized team. He is batting .326 (110 for 337) with 25 doubles, two triples, 20 home runs, 79 RBI, and 62 runs. He was the Prospect League Player of the Week on April 26 and is considered in the running for PL Player of the Year. 

O’Quinn was drafted in the second round, 20th overall, by RobCo. The young outfielder has batted .306 (108 for 353) with 13 doubles, a triple, four home runs, 61 RBI, and 48 runs. 

7.19.86 – Player suspension (chem use)

Perhaps it should not be a chem offense, or maybe it should be a more serious one. Whatever the case, using Cateye garners a one-game suspension. The person caught with it was New California Republic first baseman Clyde Martin. 

Martin claimed the Cateye use was not for baseball at all, which would make sense since the Bears had the day off. Instead, he claimed he volunteered for one of his mandatory NCR duty days on his off day and had night patrol at Camp McCarran. Because of not being out in the dark in a while, he wanted to ensure he could see well. Unfortunately, a league test found the chem, and he must now sit out the NCR’s next game. 

Maybe the NCR could assign more favorable environments to its MBL soldiers? 

7.24.86 – Team achievement

Last season, the New California Republic was the first team to clinch its division. The Bears went on to clinch the best regular season record and win the first Mojave League Series in seven games. 

This season North Vegas (formerly H&H Tool Company) is the first team to clinch its division. The Radscorpions accomplished it by beating Ultra Luxe 12-4 coupled with Camp McCarran’s 8-5 loss to the NCR. 

North Vegas (56-32) currently has a two-game lead on Vault-Tec (54-34) for the best record in the Mojave. The Vault Boys look to be close to clinching their division with 2 being the magic number. Vault Tec leads Gomorrah (43-45) by 11 games with just 12 games to play. 

7.27.86 – Team achievement

Vault-Tec (54-36) can celebrate being division champions now, though the Vault Boys backed into the West Division title after losing 10-4 to New California Republic. Thanks to Gomorrah’s (43-47) 6-2 loss to North Vegas, Vault-Tec is now champions. 

The Vault Boys have some work to do with just 10 games left. They have now fallen behind Novac (55-38) for the second best record in the MBL and trail North Vegas (58-32) four games for the best record. 

7.29.86 – Player suspension (chem use)

Fresh off winning the Prospects League championship, Tony Smith is still on call for the Mojave League club, Camp McCarran. However, after testing positive for Med-X, any chance for Smith to see the majors this year is over. He will now be suspended for his next five eligible games. 

Smith claims that he was trying to recover from a nagging injury. However, all players in the Mojave Baseball League circuit are under the chem program rules until the last game of the Mojave Series is played. 

7.29.86 – Team suspension

Perhaps it is the frustration for Goodsprings setting in. One year after being a won away from a championship, the Lucky 38s sit at 42-49 and are fighting just to get to .500 on the season. 

Things did not help when newly promoted reliever Wilton Woods opened his mouth at the wrong time. Woods, who finished the Prospects League season at Sloan with a 4-2 record with 24 saves and a 3.38 ERA in 53.1 innings pitched, was called up yesterday when starting pitcher Bob Jackson was placed on the disabled list. 

Today, while in team practice on an off day, Woods reportedly mentioned that he was going to help “knock the suck out of the 38s.” Backup outfielder Lee Peterson took exception to Woods’ words and started arguing. Soon, the two players started fighting. 

Goodsprings responded by sitting Peterson for tomorrow’s game at Tops in Jacobstown and Woods for the next two. 

7.31.86 – Trade deadline

The trade deadline came and went and not one trade occurred. 

According to Commissioner Lee, the trade deadline is supposed to be a resource to help spark teams towards battling for those final playoff spots, if they’re still available at that time. 

Only the East Division currently has a race going on with seven games to play. Novac at 57-36 leads Sunset Sarsaparilla (54-36) by three games and the New California Republic (52-38) by five games. Both the West and Central divisions have already been clinched.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: August 2286

Final Standings

2286StandingsFFinal_zps8bb27749.jpg

Batting Leaders

2286LeadersCBattersFinal_zps8deb4db6.jpg

Pitching Leaders

2286LeadersDPitchersFinal_zps1e637ae7.jp

News and Notes

8.8.86 – Team achievements (Novac and North Vegas)

It was an exciting race to the finish, but Novac did what no one expected of them this season: win their division. 

The Dinosaurs won in thrilling fashion yesterday, beating the New California Republic 10-9 in 11 innings to clinch the East Division over second place Sunset Sarsaparilla. Novac trailed 9-2 entering the bottom of the eighth, but a seven-run inning tied the game before winning on an error in the 11th. 
North Vegas (61-38) leads both the Dinosaurs and Vault-Tec by one game going into the season finale. Because the Radscorpions won the season series against both Novac and the Vault Boys, they have clinched the league’s best record. 

Novac (60-39) is now in a battle for the league’s second-best record entering the final game. Novac won the season series against Vault-Tec 5-3, so the Dinosaurs need any combination of a win or a Vault-Tec loss to clinch home field advantage in the first round of the playoffs. 

8.8.86 – Player injury (Animal attack)

Vincent Aerotech found himself on the wrong side of a battle with a coyote. Aerotech reportedly had to fight off the hungry beast, suffering a refracture to his previously injured hand. 

Aerotech will now miss the final game of the season and will have to spend part of the season recovering on his own until the playoffs end based on league chem rules. 

8.9.86 – Team (un)achievements

What looked to be a thrilling final game by way of earning playoff placements turned into a lose-lose-lose affair. 

North Vegas (61-39), which was the #1 seed regardless of Sunday’s results, lost its season finale 7-4 to Freeside. 

The real race was for second place. Novac (60-40) won that distinction by default. The Dinosaurs lost 4-2 to the NCR, but Vault-Tec’s (60-40) 2-1 10-inning loss to Tops clinched second place for Novac. 

Vault-Tec will now travel to Novac for the first two games of a seven-game series. The winner of that series faces North Vegas in the Mojave Series.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: Playoffs First Round Preview

22861-0A_zps39ad1e9a.jpg22861-0B_zps9cf04ffd.jpg

Series Preview

Before the season started, Vault-Tec was expected to be good and Novac was expected to be at the back of the Brahmin pack. That is not the case anymore. 

The Dinosaurs took the league by storm, finishing only one game back of the best record in the league, and they will now host the Vault Boys in the first round of the 2286 Mojave Baseball League playoffs. 

Vault-Tec, on the other hand, was good like expected, but they also got a boost from a heavily injured Goodsprings team, which loss team stars Earl Robinson and Jimmy LaRue for extended periods. Still, the Vault Boys took care of business and pulled away from the rest of the West to win the division. 

When the playoffs begin, both teams will have to look forward, not back like we are doing in this preview. First, how did the teams do against each other? 
Despite finishing with the same 60-40 record, Novac gets home field advantage thanks to a 5-3 season series advantage over the Vault Boys. 

The teams’ first series was in Primm for a four-game set from May 13-16. Vault-Tec took the first two games 2-0, 2-0, but Novac won the next two 4-3, 9-3. In the first game, Willie Miller pitched 6.2 shutout innings before giving the ball up to his bullpen. They delivered by not allowing a base runner in the final 2.1 innings for the shutout. In the second game, Orlando Stephens pitched 6 shutout innings, and three relievers combined to complete the final three innings for the second-straight shutout victory. The Dinosaurs then swung momentum their way in the third game. Novac scored three runs in the first innings and held on to win the game. In the fourth game, Novac found its offense, exploding for nine runs, including a bases clearing double by pinch hitter Jeremy Stover that turned a close game into a blowout. 

The second series took place July 22-25 in Novac. In the first game, the Dinosaurs won 8-7 on a game-winning RBI sacrifice fly by Bobby McGuire in the bottom of the ninth. McGuire finished with three RBI in the game to lead the Dinosaurs. Vault-Tec won the second game 4-3 thanks to Tony Donnellson’s MVP performance. Donnellson was 3 for 3 with a double, two RBI, a run, and two walks in the game. Game three was all Novac, winning 12-2. Rookie Francisco Riveria led the Dinosaurs’ charge by going 2 for 5 with a home run, three RBI, and two runs scored. Bruce Wilson pitched eight innings, allowing two runs on eight hits with three strikeouts and two walks. The final game was a 3-2 win for Bob Ward and Novac. Ward pitched 7.2 innings, giving up two runs on five hits with seven strikeouts and three walks. 

For the season series, Novac’s Bob Seymour was the most outstanding hitter, batting .382 with three home runs and 4 RBI. Seymour batted .331 on the season with 30 doubles, a triple, 16 homers, 60 RBI, 63 runs, 38 walks, and 40 strikeouts. 

Vault-Tec’s best offensive performer against the Dinosaurs was Donnellson. He batted .280 in the eight-game series with two home runs and eight RBI. For the season Donnellson was a .318 hitter with 22 doubles, three triples, six home runs, 53 RBI, 54 runs, 34 walks, 43 strikeouts, and 11 stolen bases. 

Wilson was the most impressive pitcher in the series, going 2-0 in 15.2 innings pitched with a 2.30 ERA in two starts versus the Vault Boys. Wilson was not as impressive against the rest of the league, though, going 7-7 with a 4.76 ERA in 104 innings pitched on the season. 

No pitcher was particularly great for Vault-Tec in the season series, but Willie Miller was 1-1 with a 2.13 ERA in 12.2. innings pitched. He also added 11 strikeouts, which finished second in the series only to Novac’s Ward. 
It’s time for the playoffs to begin. Before that, a prediction: Novac 4, Vault-Tec 2.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: First Round, Game One

22861-1A_zpscdd461e6.jpg

22861-1B_zpsecaf8930.jpg
22861-1C_zpsb528bc02.jpg

Nelson Pitches Eight Scoreless Innings, Vault-Tec Wins 4-3

Tom Nelson has been a steady performer all season for Vault-Tec, finishing the regular season with a 13-7 record (tied for second in wins) and 3.42 ERA in 139.1 innings pitched this season. 

What he had not done all season was to finish a game with only two outings of eight innings pitched. However, Nelson pitched eight shutout innings, allowing only two hits, in Game One of the first round series at Novac. 

In the ninth, he finally looked vulnerable, giving up one run on one hit with two outs in the ninth. After Nelson allowed a two-out single to the Dinosaurs’ Cecil Houghton, he was replaced by Brian Sykes. Sykes only faced one batter, but allowed a double to Bob Seymour. John Rock then came in to try to finish the game. However, Novac’s Francisco Riveria tripled to cut the lead to 4-2 and David Lopez singled in Riveria to cut the score to 4-3 with the winning run at the plate. After a Bobby McGuire single put the tying run in scoring position, Posedion Last Name grounded out to finish the game. 

The game was scoreless through five innings before a big inning swung the momentum the Vault Boys’ way. With Novac starting pitcher Fernando Ramirez pitching a great game with only one hit allowed, it looked like the Vault Boys would have a tough game, but Ramirez started to waver in the sixth. Raul Castro led off the inning with a double, followed by Arlen Vaughn walking on a full count. Nelson then moved the players over with a sacrifice bunt. After Angel Serrano was intentionally walked, Ramirez walked in a run to make it 1-0. James Sexton then hit a sacrifice fly to deep left field to score Vaughn. Joseph Dillon followed with a two-RBI single to score Serrano and give Vault-Tec a 3-0 lead. MC Mack Walt Williams then singled to score Tony Donnellson, and the Vault Boys took that 4-0 lead into the ninth. 

Nelson (1-0) was the game MVP. His final stat lines read 8.2 innings pitched with one run allowed on three hits and nine strikeouts. John Rock earned the save despite allowing a run on three hits in the bottom of the ninth. 

Ramirez (0-1) suffered the loss for Novac. He gave up four runs on four hits with four walks and five strikeouts in six innings pitched. Dennis Wallace finished the game for the Dinosaurs, pitching three innings and allowing no runs on three hits with three strikeouts.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: First Round, Game Two

22861-2A_zps5325e33d.jpg 22861-2B_zps961ff55e.jpg 22861-2C_zps927c090d.jpg

Stephens Keeps Dinos in Check, Vault-Tec with 2-0 Series Lead

Two games in, and the Vault-Tec pitching staff has gotten the best of the Novac batters. This time Orlando Stephens pitched seven solid innings, and the Vault Boys offense did their job in an 8-2 game two victory. 

The series now heads to Primm, where Vault-Tec can put the series out of reach. 

Stephens was the game’s MVP, giving up one run on five hits with two walks and seven strikeouts in seven innings. He also went 1 for 3 at the plate with an RBI. Brian Sykes came on in relief to pitch the final two innings, giving up one run on one hit with a walk and strikeout in two innings pitched. 

Bob Ward suffered the loss for the Dinosaurs. Despite leading the Mojave Baseball League in the regular season with a 1.60 ERA, Ward allowed five runs on 10 hits in 6.2 innings to suffer the loss. 

The Vault Boys jumped out to a quick lead in the game. With two outs in the first inning, James Sexton doubled, followed by an RBI single by Joseph Dillon. 
Vault-Tec again had a two-out rally in the second to take a 2-0 lead. Arlen Vaughn, Stephens, and Angel Serrano had consecutive singles for the lead. Serrano had the RBI, with Vaughn scoring. 

In the fourth inning, Vault-Tec was able to extend its lead further. Anthony Savage led off with a walk, followed by a one-out double by Vaughn to move him to third. Stephens then hit an RBI groundout to score Savage. 

Novac finally got on the board in the bottom of the fifth. Noel Hanbridge and Cecil Houghton led off the inning with back-to-back singles, with Hanbridge advancing to third on Houghton’s single. Bob Seymour then hit into a 6-4-3 double play, allowing Hanbridge to score and cut the lead to 3-1. 

Vault-Tec extended its lead even more in the seventh inning with yet another two-out rally. Serrano hit a one-out single and advanced on a stolen base. With two outs, Sexton doubled for the second time to drive in Serrano. Dillon then hit an RBI single to score Sexton. Ward was then pulled at this point, trailing 5-1. 

In the ninth inning, the Vault Boys put the game out of reach. As you can probably guess, their runs came on a two-out rally. Bob Newsome started the ninth inning for Novac. Serrano led off with a single and was then out on a fielder’s choice by Tony Donnellson. After Donnellson advanced on a ground out, Dillon walked on four straight pitches. MC Mack Walt Williams then followed with a two-RBI double to make the game 7-1. After Claw Dog McKinney came in for the Dinosaurs, Savage hit an RBI single for an 8-1 lead going into the bottom of the ninth. 

Novac was able to scrap together a run in the ninth. Poseidon Last Name drew a two-out walk against Sykes. Ted Snyder then followed with an RBI double. Clyde Waller followed with a ground out to end the game.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: First Round, Game Three

22861-3A_zps4b44f770.jpg 22861-3B_zps936ad1d2.jpg 22861-3C_zpsb315e5b5.jpg

Novac Jumps Out to Early Lead, Wins 10-3

Vault-Tec's pitching dominated the first two games of the First Round MBL Series against Novac, but not on Friday. Novac scored the game’s first nine runs, and cruised easily to a 10-3 victory. 

Bob Seymour was the game’s MVP, going 4 for 4 with a double, four RBI, and a run. 

Kenny Weathers earned the victory for the Dinosaurs, giving up one earned run in six innings, with seven hits allowed, five walks, and five strikeouts. The Vault Boys’ Willie Miller was the losing pitcher, giving up four earned runs on eight hits with a walk and two strikeouts in just three innings pitched. His immediate replacement, Ralph Beerguzzler fared worse, giving up four earned runs on four hits with two walks and two strikeouts in two innings. 

Novac took the lead in the top of the first inning. Noel Hanbridge led off with a single, followed by a Cecil Houghton single to move him to third. Houghton advanced to second on the throw to third.  Seymour then singled in Hanbridge and Houghton for the 2-0 lead. 

In the second inning, the Dinosaurs added two more. With two outs, Weathers tripled. That was followed by an RBI single for Hanbridge. Hanbridge then stole second and was knocked in on an RBI single by Houghton. 

Weathers again got on base in the fourth inning, leading off with a walk. With one out, Houghton was hit by a pitch, and Bob Seymour singled to load the bases. Francisco Riveria then hit a sacrifice fly to right field to score the run and give Novac a 5-0 lead. 

The Dinosaurs then put the game away in the sixth inning. Hanbridge led off with a single, followed by a Houghton single. Again, Hanbridge beat the throw to third and Houghton advanced. Seymour then doubled in both runners for a 7-0 lead and still no outs in the inning. After Vault-Tec changed pitchers to Greg Thompson, Riveria followed by getting hit by a pitch. David Lopez then singled in Seymour, and Bobby McGuire followed with an RBI ground out for the 9-0 lead. 

Vault-Tec finally got on the board in the bottom of the inning. With one out, Anthony Savage and Raul Castro hit back-to-back singles, followed by an Arlen Vaughn walk. Alex Raines then hit a sacrifice fly to score Savage and make it 9-1. 

The Vault Boys added two more in the eighth to make the score 9-3. With one out, Castro walked, and then Nelson Johnson hit a two-out, two-run home run off Novac reliever Robert Cowan.

Bill Massey was brought on in the ninth to complete the game for Vault-Tec. Unfortunately for him, he could not find his control early, walking the first three batters to begin the inning. With one out, Hanbridge then hit a sacrifice fly to score McGuire, ending the game at 10-3. 

The two teams continue the series in Primm tomorrow for game four.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: First Round, Game Four

22861-4A_zps198d85f7.jpg 22861-4B_zps7505c975.jpg 22861-4C_zps1202f6d2.jpg

Vault-Tec Beats Dinos 6-5, Takes 3-1 Series Lead

Vault-Tec and Novac made it a back and forth affair in game four of the first round of the Mojave Baseball League playoffs. In the end, though, the Vault Boys’ bats had a little more pop in their 6-5 victory. 

The Vault Boys now lead the series three games to one and have a chance to clinch the series at home. 

Leadoff hitter Angel Serrano was the game’s MVP. He finished 3 for 5 with two RBI and a run. 

Wally Grant earned the win in 1.1 of relief pitching. He gave up only one hit and struck out two. Tom Nelson was the starter for the Vault Boys, but he lasted only 4.2 innings, giving up three earned runs on seven hits with six walks and two strikeouts. 

Jimmy Ledet was the losing pitcher for the Dinosaurs. He gave up two runs, one earned, on two hits with three strikeouts in two relief innings. Fernando Ramirez was the starter for Novac. He gave up three earned runs on five hits with three walks and three strikeouts in 4.2 innings. 

Novac took the lead in the top of the second. Poseidon Last Name hit a one-out single. After Last Name moved to second on a ground out, Ramirez singled him in for a 1-0 lead. 

Vault-Tec answered in the bottom of the inning. Anthony Savage walked with one out and moved to second on a Raul Castro single. Arlen Vaughn then singled in Savage and both runners advanced on the throw to the plate. With two outs, Serrano singled in Castro to give the Vault Boys a 2-1 lead. 

In the third inning, Novac was able to tie the game thanks to the erratic pitching of Nelson. Bob Seymour led off with a walk. With one out, David Lopez walked, and Bobby McGuire singled to load the bases.  Last Name then drew an RBI walk for the 2-2 tie.

The Dinosaurs retook the lead in the fifth. Lopez hit a one-out single and McGuire walked. With two outs, Ted Snyder singled in Lopez to chase Nelson from the game and give Novac a 3-2 advantage.

Vault-Tec was able to answer in the bottom of the inning. Serrano led off with a single, stole second, and advanced on a ground out. James Sexton then singled him in to tie the game at three apiece. Ramirez was pulled with two outs, and Ledet escaped with no more damage done. 

Novac took the lead again in the sixth on a solo home run by Seymour for a 4-3 lead. 

In the seventh, the Vault Boys changed the momentum. Tony Donnellson reached with one out after being hit by a pitch. Sexton then reached on an error when Riveria could not handle McGuire’s throw, dropping the ball to put runners at first and second. Joseph Dillon then singled to load the bases. With MC Mack Walt Williams up, Ledet threw a wild pitch to score Donnellson and advance the runners. Williams then hit an RBI sacrifice fly to score Sexton and give Vault-Tec a 5-4 lead. Ledet was then pulled for Steve MacIntyre. 

Vault-Tec added an insurance run in the eighth. Castro led off with a single, followed by a Vaughn walk. With one out and runners at second and third, Serrano singled to score Castro. Vaughn had to stay at third on the sharply hit ball. 

Novac tried to rally in the ninth, but, just like game one, the rally fell short. Riveria led off with a double and advanced on John Rock’s balk. Lopez then hit a sacrifice fly to score Riveria and cut the Vault-Tec lead to 6-5. However, Rock was able to get consecutive fly outs from McGuire and Clyde Waller to end the game and earn the save. 

News and Notes

8.14.86 – Player suspensions (chem use and major chem use)

The MBL performed a league-wide chem test today, catching four players with active chems in their system. 

The only player currently playing was Jesus Mendez of Novac, who does not get much playing time. Still, a player with a chance to win a Mojave Series should say far away from chems, serious or not. 

Mendez was found with cateye in his system, sending him outright to the bench for the next game in the first round of the MBL playoffs. 

Goodsprings’ cleanup hitter John McDowell had Steady in his system, meaning he will sit the first four games of the 2287 season. Gerald Cummings of Freeside had RadAway in his system, sending him to the showers for the first five games of 2287. 

The most serious chem use was the NCR’s second-round pick from a year ago, Mike Flowers. Flowers was found with Fixer in his system, meaning he will forfeit the first 15 games of 2287. 

Though only three teams are still playing, all players are responsible for chems in their system until the day after the last playoff game.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: First Round, Game Five

22861-5A_zpsff4a76d2.jpg 22861-5B_zpse81f2f88.jpg 22861-5C_zpsce5b7e96.jpg

Vault-Tec’s Dominates, Clinches Series

Angel Serrano’s two-game stretch as the dominant Vault-Tec leadoff hitter proved to be too much for Novac. A day after being named the game MVP, Serrano topped those numbers, going 5 for 6 with a triple, an RBI, and four runs in leading the Vault Boys to a 10-4 victory and a berth in the Mojave Series against North Vegas. 

The Vault Boys racked up 19 hits in the contest, leading the entire way and pulling away late in the victory. Serrano’s five hits and four runs scored are the best in three overall playoff series in the young Mojave Baseball League. 

Orlando Stephens pitched five innings, giving up four earned runs on six hits with seven strikeouts and a walk, to earn the victory. Three relief pitchers pitched the final four innings, giving up no runs on five hits with two strikeouts. 

Bob Ward, who dominated in the regular season, had two poor outings. He earned the loss for the Dinosaurs, allowing five runs, four earned, on eleven hits with three strikeouts and a walk in five innings.  Three Novac relievers fared no better, giving up five earned runs on eight hits with two strikeouts and five walks in just three innings. 

Vault-Tec took the lead for good in the bottom of the first inning. Serrano led off with a single, followed by a Tony Donnellson single. After James Sexton grounded into a double play to move Serrano to third, Joseph Dillon hit an RBI single for a 1-0 lead. 

The Vault Boys added on to their lead in the third. Serrano again led off with a single. With one out, Sexton reached on a Noel Hanbridge error. Dillon then hit an RBI single to score Serrano and move Sexton to second. MC Mack Walt Williams drew a walk to load the bases, followed by a sacrifice fly by Anthony Savage to score Sexton and give the Vault Boys a 3-0 lead. 

In the fourth inning, the Dinosaurs answered. Francisco Riveria led off with a single. With one out, Bobby McGuire blasted a two-run homer to right center field to cut the Vault-Tec lead to 3-2. 

The Vault Boys had the answer in the bottom of the inning, though. Arlen Vaughn led off with a single and moved over on Stephens’ sacrifice bunt. Serrano then tripled in Vaughn for a 4-2 lead. Donnellson followed with an RBI groundout to make it 5-2 after four innings. 

Novac stayed in the game with a couple of runs in the fifth. With one out, Cecil Houghton walked, followed by a two-run home run by Bob Seymour to make the score 5-4. Unfortunately for the Dinosaurs, those were the last runs they would score on the season. 

Vault-Tec extended its lead in the sixth. Claw Dog McKinney came on in relief for Novac. He walked Donnellson with one out, gave up a single to Sexton, and then walked Dillon to load the bases. With Williams up, McKinney threw a wild pitch to score Donnellson and advance the runners. McKinney was able to escape the inning with no more damage done, but Vault-Tec had a 6-4 lead. 

That lead became a blowout in the seventh. Floyd Bryant led off the inning with a solo home run, sending McKinney to the springs. Steve MacIntyre came on in relief for Novac. He walked Vaughn, and then gave up a one-out single to Serrano. Donnellson then singled to load the bases, followed by a two-RBI double by Sexton to make the score 9-4. 

The Vault Boys added one more run in the eighth for the final 10-4 score. Phil Williams was the relief pitcher for Novac in the inning. He gave up a one-out single to Bryant and then walked Vaughn. Substitute second baseman Raul Castro then hit an RBI single to score Bryant. 

Angel Serrano was named the series MVP, especially for his efforts in games four and five where he went a combined 8 for 11 (.727) with a triple, three RBI, five runs scored, and a steal. For the series, he finished 13 for 24 (.524), with two triples, four RBI, seven runs, one walk, seven strikeouts, and three stolen bases.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: August 2286 News and Notes

News and Notes

8.16.86 – Player injury

Perhaps he thought ants were friendly since he now plays for an organization called the Fire Ants, but youngster Tony Hernandez of Sunset Sarsaparilla found himself in a one-on-four battle against Soldier Ants off the grounds of Nellis Air Force Base. 

Luckily for Hernandez, he had a weapon with him, firing his laser pistol into the guts of all four ants before they could do much damage. Still, Hernandez had an injury and will have to wait until the season is over to pump some ant-curing chems into his system. 

8.16.86 – Player injury

Wilson Halcomb has been playing in the Goodsprings Cemetery since he was a boy. The 18-year-old most certainly knows that bloatflies are attracted to the place. Still, Halcomb could not help himself to practice throwing baseballs at a couple in the cemetery, and then he got stung. 

One of the bloatflies’ projectiles lodged into Halcomb’s upper thigh, sending him directly to Doc Mitchell’s clinic for a quick tweezers treatment. Maybe that will teach Halcomb not to mess with those little bastards.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: Mojave Series Preview

22862-0_zps8ebd10f4.jpg

Mojave Series Preview

North Vegas (61-39) earned the top record in the league by one game. Despite their success, though, the Radscorpions did not feel as formidable as last season’s New California Republic and Lucky 38 squads. Still, earning the top record in the league is a big accomplishment and earns a team an automatic berth in the Mojave Series. Most impressive for the Radscorpions was its pitching, where the team led the league in runs allowed with 387. 

Vault-Tec (60-40) got here by finishing with a tie for the league’s second best record and then dominating Novac in five games of a seven-game series. The Vault Boys finished with a good balance of offense (third in the league with 500 runs scored) and pitching/defense (second in the league with 402 runs allowed). 

Looking for stars in the series is not challenging. Pitching seemed to dominate in the eight-game season series, so let us look there first. Despite going 1-1 in the series, Vault-Tec’s Ricardo Rodriguez owned North Vegas hitters. In 17 innings pitched, he had a 1.59 ERA, making him the most successful Vault Boys pitcher in the season series. On the year, Rodriguez finished 10-3 with a 3.07 ERA in 158.1 innings pitched. In two starts, North Vegas’ Gary Clark was the leading pitcher in the season series. He was 1-0 with a 1.20 ERA in 15 innings pitched. On the season, he finished 6-5 with a 3.72 ERA in 142.2 innings pitched. 

Clark, however, will not be in the starting rotation in the Series. Staff ace Lee Burke gets the start in Game One. He was 11-6 on the season with a 2.75 ERA in 154 innings pitched. Nate Camp was even better, going 15-3 with a 2.34 ERA in 157.2 innings pitched. Camp is in contention for the Lefty Grove Trophy, given to the league’s top pitcher. 

Offensively, it was hard to find players who stood out in the season series. The Radscorpions’ George O’Kill, who is in contention for the Babe Ruth trophy given to the league’s best hitter, finished with a .500 batting average with a home run and three RBI. On the season, he batted .323 with 22 doubles, 29 home runs, 73 RBI, 63 runs, 59 walks, and just 41 strikeouts. For Vault-Tec, Angel Serrano was the best performer in the season series. He batted .421 with a home run and two RBI. On the season, Serrano batted .259 with 14 doubles, five triples, six home runs, 33 RBI, 56 runs, 35 walks, 73 strikeouts, and 19 stolen bases. Serrano was the MVP of the first round series against Novac. 

On the season, North Vegas won five games to three. The first series between the two teams was played April 26-27 at North Vegas. Vault-Tec beat North Vegas 5-3 in the first game. North Vegas led the game 3-0, but the Vault Boys stormed back with five runs to win it. Radscorpions’ pitcher Carl Morgan blew Jim Jones’ excellent game by giving up four earned runs on three hits with a walk in just 2/3 innings pitched. Game two was a 4-0 victory by the Vault Boys. Rodriguez  pitched the complete game shutout, giving up only four hits with a walk and five strikeouts. Joseph Dillon added some offensive pop by hitting a two-run home run in the seventh inning. 

The second series took place May 24-25 at Vault 3 Grounds in South Vegas. The series was played there while the Primm Community Field, Vault-Tec’s homefield, was being repaired after a Powder Ganger bombing. In the first game of the series, the Vault Boys won 3-1, taking a 3-0 season series lead. Tom Nelson pitched seven innings, giving up one earned run on four hits with two walks and nine strikeouts, to earn the victory. Raul Castro added a two-run home run and had all three RBIs in the game. The Radscorpions finally got a win in a thrilling 3-2, 15-inning affair. North Vegas had a 1-0 lead heading into the bottom of the ninth before the Vault Boys scored a run. Each team scored a run in the 14th, and then the Radscorpions won it in the 15th. Despite not factoring into the decision, North Vegas’ Clark was the MVP by giving up only one hit with two walks and two strikeouts in seven innings. 

Both North Vegas and Vault-Tec faced off in North Vegas for their third series June 15-16. The Radscorpions won the first game of the set 4-3, holding off a late rally by the Vault Boys. Anthony Savage led the charge for Vault-Tec by driving in all three runs, including a two-run shot in the ninth inning. North Vegas finally had a pull away win in the second game of the series, winning 6-1. Rich Richmond pitched eight innings, allowing one earned run on three hits with two walks and three strikeouts, to earn game MVP honors. 

The final series took place July 6-7 in Primm. In the first game, Camp outdueled Rodriguez by allowing just one earned run on six hits with eight strikeouts in eight innings for a 4-1 victory. The Radscorpions won the final game of the season series 5-4, again quelling a Vault-Tec rally in the ninth. Arthur Glass of North Vegas was the most outstanding player, going 3 for 4 with a home run, two RBI, and two runs. 

Despite North Vegas winning the season series, Vault-Tec has the hot hand heading into the Mojave Series, and they are expected to top the Radscorpions in six games.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: Mojave Series, Game One

22862-1A_zps6df4036b.jpg 22862-1B_zps345bd7d3.jpg 22862-1C_zpse0d9e763.jpg

Vault-Tec Starts Strong, Wins 8-3

Vault-Tec had a certain feel to them when they spanked Novac four games to one in the first round of the 2286 playoffs. The Vault Boys continued that momentum, jumping out to an 8-0 lead in the first four innings and hanging on to win at North Vegas 8-3 in the Mojave Series opener. 

The Vault Boys’ James Sexton was the star of the game, finishing 4 for 4 with a double, home run, three RBI, two runs, and a walk. 

Willie Miller was the winning pitcher for Vault-Tec. In six innings, he allowed no runs on three hits with two strikeouts. Ralph Beerguzzler came on in relief, allowing three earned runs on three hits with three walks and a strikeout in 2.2 innings. Brian Sykes walked and hit the only two batters he faced, and John Rock got the game’s final out in just one pitch to earn the save. 

Lee Burke suffered the loss for the Radscorpions, giving up four earned runs on six hits with a walk and two strikeouts in three innings. Carlos Gonzalez came in to relieve Burke in the fourth, but he was quickly chased from the game in just 1/3 innings pitched. Gonzalez allowed four earned runs on three hits with a walk. Jarred Jones pitched 2.2 innings, giving up a hit and striking out two. Dan Trainyard added two innings, giving up one hit, walking one, and striking out one. Gary Clark finished the game, walking a batter and striking out two in an inning. 

Vault-Tec jumped out to an early lead in the top of the first inning. Angel Serrano led off with a walk. With one out, Sexton doubled to move Serrano to third. Joseph Dillon then hit an RBI groundout to score Serrano. MC Mack Walt Williams then followed with a two-run dinger to give the Vault Boys a 3-0 lead. 

The lead grew to 4-0 in the third. Serrano led off with a single and scored on Tony Donnellson’s double. The Vault Boys actually loaded the bases with no outs, but Williams, Anthony Savage, and Raul Castro could not come through to score more, leading North Vegas to think they were still in the game. 

That thinking all changed in the fourth inning, though, when Gonzalez came on in relief for the Radscorpions. Arlen Vaughn led off with a double. After Vaughn moved to third on a sacrifice bunt, Gonzalez’s wild pitch allowed Vaughn to score for a 5-0 lead. Serrano then walked, followed by a Donnellson double. Sexton then cleared the bases with a three-run home run to make the game 8-0. Gonzalez then moved aside for Jones. 

North Vegas did not score its first run until the bottom of the eighth. With one out, Duncan Whaley hit a triple to straightaway center field. Pinch hitter Jesus Martinez then hit a sacrifice fly to score Whaley. 

In the ninth inning, the Radscorpions added a couple more useless runs. Kirby Brown singled to lead off, followed by a Jason Williams walk. George O’Kill then grounded into a double play, which advanced Brown to third. Bill Cole then sent a pitch over left field to make the game 8-3. After Beerguzzler walked Arthur Glass, he was pulled for Sykes who walked and hit the next two batters to load the bases. However, Rock came in and got pinch hitter Weldon Brown to fly out on the first pitch to end the game.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: Mojave Series, Game Two

22862-2A_zps58d45f92.jpg 22862-2B_zpsbadfadd0.jpg 22862-2C_zpsa89249b2.jpg

Nelson Holds Radscorpions Scoreless, Vault-Tec Wins 4-1

Vault-Tec has been perfect in the 2286 playoffs at the other team’s facility.

The Vault Boys are now 4-0, including winning the first two games of the Mojave Series. This time, behind the masterful pitching of Tom Nelson, the Vault Boys defeated North Vegas 4-1 on Wednesday. 

Nelson, the game’s MVP, pitched seven shutout innings, giving up three hits and striking out ten. He also drove in all four of the Vault Boys’ runs. 

The Vault-Tec bullpen then came on to allow one earned run on one hit with three walks and a strikeout in the final two innings. 

Nate Camp suffered the loss for the Radscorpions. He lasted just three innings, allowing four earned runs on two hits with three walks and four strikeouts. The North Vegas bullpen then held the Vault Boys in check, not allowing any runs on three hits with six walks and four strikeouts in the final six innings. 

Vault-Tec scored all of its runs in the top of the second inning. Joseph Dillon led off with a walk. With one out, Anthony Savage singled and Raul Castro walked to load the bases. After Arlen Vaughn was caught looking, Nelson took a 1-0 pitch over the fence for a grand slam. 

The Radscorpions scored their lone run in the eighth. Duncan Whaley walked to lead off, and Squirrel And walked with one out. After a pitching change to Greg Thompson, Kirby Brown singled to load the bases. Jason Williams then walked to earn an RBI and make the score the final of 4-1. 

North Vegas and Vault-Tec will now travel to Primm for the next three games, if all three are necessary. The Vault Boys only have to win two more games to clinch the series.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: Mojave Series, Game Three

22862-3A_zpsfb1bb65a.jpg 22862-3B_zps2e8a340e.jpg

Richmond Wins Pitcher’s Duel, North Vegas Wins 1-0

In what may go down as an epic game in the history of the Mojave Baseball League, whether it be a short-lived league or a long one, North Vegas pitcher Rich Richmond and Vault-Tec pitcher Ricardo Rodriguez put on a show. 

In the end, Richmond came out on top despite his team only getting one run on one hit in the game. Richmond was named the game’s MVP because of the victory. He allowed three hits with five walks and three strikeouts in seven shutout innings. Edward Meador pitched one scoreless inning, and Gary Clark pitched another to earn the save. 

Rodriguez did his part, but still earned the loss. He gave up only one unearned run on one hit with a walk and six strikeouts in eight innings pitched. John Rock pitched a scoreless ninth inning to complete the game. 

The lone run in the game in the third inning came in an unusual way where North Vegas scored despite not getting a hit in the inning. Duncan Whaley reached on an Anthony Savage error to lead off the inning. Richmond then bunted. Rodriguez tried to get Whaley out at second, but Whaley beat the throw to put runners at first and second with no outs. Squirrel And followed with a groundout to move the runners up a base. With two outs, Rodriguez threw a wild pitch to score Williams. 

Rodriguez was visibly upset after the game, saying that he blew it. We will see if the loss changes the momentum in the series. 

With the win, the series will now go at least five games. The next two games will also be played at the Primm Community Field. If the Radscorpions win at least one of those two games, the series will move back to North Vegas for a sixth and possibly seventh game.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: Mojave Series, Game Four

22862-4A_zpsb0276bab.jpg 22862-4B_zpsc9ee0d1b.jpg 22862-4C_zps89d0aadf.jpg

Kirby’s Two-RBI Single in Ninth Sinks Vault Boys

Nelson “Rat” Kirby is not what you would call a master batter. In fact, the 19-year-old had very few opportunities to bat with the Radscorpions in 2286 due to his offensive woes. 

Still, despite batting only .183 during the regular season, Kirby proved to be clutch in the top of the ninth, blooping a two-RBI single to score the winning runs in North Vegas’ 6-4 come-from-behind win at Vault-Tec in Primm. 

George O’Kill, the game’s most valuable player, drove in the tying run in the top of the ninth, following a Jason Williams double with an RBI double. O’Kill overcame a miserable three-game stretch to start the series by going 3 for 3 with a double, a home run, two RBI, three runs, and two walks in Game Four. Bill Cole followed with a walk, and Jesus Martinez singled to load the bases with nobody out. After two straight outs, Kirby came through. 

John Rock suffered the loss for the Vault Boys, allowing three earned runs on four hits with a walk and strikeout in just 2/3 of an inning. Orlando Stephens was the starting pitcher for Vault-Tec. In 6.2 innings, he allowed three earned runs on nine hits with three walks and five strikeouts. 

Curt Petty was the winning pitcher for North Vegas, allowing no runs on a hit with two walks and a strikeout in 1.1 innings. Gary Clark got the save, pitching a perfect ninth inning. Lee Burke was the starting pitcher. He finished with four earned runs allowed on four hits with two walks and three strikeouts in 6.2 innings. 

The Radscorpions took the first lead of the game in the second. O’Kill and Cole led off with back-to-back singles. With two outs, Duncan Whaley was intentionally walked to load the bases for Burke. Burke then answered by hitting a two-RBI single for a 2-0 lead. 

Vault-Tec scored its first runs in the bottom of the fourth to tie the game. With one out, James Sexton singled. Joseph Dillon then hit a two-run home run to deep left center field. 

North Vegas retook the lead in the seventh when O’Kill hit a solo home run. However, the lead was short-lived. 

The Vault Boys answered in the bottom of the inning. MC Mack Walt Williams led off with a walk. With one out, Raul Castro singled to move Williams to third. With two outs, pinch hitter Nelson Johnson hit a two-RBI triple to give Vault-Tec its first lead, 4-3. 

That led to the three-run rally by North Vegas in the ninth. 

North Vegas had 14 hits in the game, mostly led from its charge at the 4-5-6 spots in the order. O’Kill, Cole, and Arthur Glass/Martinez combined to go 9 for 11 with two doubles, a home run, two RBI, five runs, and three walks. 

The series is now tied 2-2. Pressure may be on Vault-Tec to win the next game. Then again, there has been no home field advantage in the 2286 playoffs. In nine games, the home team is just 2-7, including 0-4 so far this series.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: Mojave Series, Game Five

22862-5A_zps30485398.jpg 22862-5B_zps4cd26b1e.jpg 22862-5C_zpsdeb30aac.jpg

Vault-Tec Rallies Late, Takes 3-2 Lead

Vault-Tec was just seven outs away from being swept at home and falling behind three games to two. And then, something clicked. A two-out rally led the Vault Boys to an 11-7 game five victory over North Vegas in the Mojave Series. 

With two outs and a runner on second in the bottom of the seventh, game MVP Tony Donnellson got a clutch RBI single to cut the Radscorpions lead to 7-4. After a wild pitch moved Donnellson to second, James Sexton singled him home. North Vegas then pulled starter Nate Camp for Curt Petty. Joseph Dillon answered the pitching change by hitting a single, followed by a MC Mack Walt Williams walk. Anthony Savage then singled in Sexton to cut the lead to 7-6. Raul Castro followed up with a two-RBI single to give the Vault Boys their first lead, 8-7. 

Vault-Tec then pulled away in the eighth. Alex Raines singled to lead off, and Donellson hit a two-run homer, his second of the game, for the 10-7 lead. After a pitching change, Sexton made it back-to-back homers for the Vault Boys for the 11-7 final. 

Each team went back and forth in the early game. With one out in the top of the first, North Vegas’ Kirby Brown reached on an error. With two outs, George O’Kill singled. Bill Cole then singled in Brown and both runners advanced on the throw to the plate. Vault-Tec starter Tom Nelson then threw a wild pitch to score O’Kill and give the Radscorpions a 2-0 lead. 

The Vault Boys answered in the bottom of the inning. Angel Serrano led off with a single, followed by Donnellson hitting a first-pitch homer off starter Nate Camp. That homer tied the game 2-2. 

In the second, North Vegas’ L’il Tony T-Snizzle Hensley led off with a walk. Duncan Whaley then reached on an error by Arlen Vaughn. Camp followed with a sacrifice runner to move up the runners. Squirrel And then hit an RBI ground out to give the Radscorpions a 3-2 lead. 

Vault-Tec again tied the game in the third. With two outs, Joseph Dillon hit a solo home run to straightaway left field to knot the game 3-3. 

The Radscorpions looked to take the momentum for the series in the fifth. And led off with a Walk. With two outs and And at second, O’Kill hit a two-run home run for a 5-3 lead. Bill Cole then singled, followed by an RBI double by Arthur Glass for a 6-3 advantage. After Nelson was pulled for Greg Thompson, Hensley singled in Glass for a four-run lead. 

Thompson was credited for the win. He gave up no runs on three hits with a walk and two strikeouts in 2.1 innings. The starter Nelson allowed seven runs, four earned, on seven hits with two walks and four strikeouts in 4.2 innings in the no decision. Wally Grant earned the save by not allowing a run or a hit in 1.1 innings. 

Petty was the losing pitcher. He gave up two earned runs on three hits with a walk without getting an out. Camp, the starter, allowed six earned runs on 10 hits with two walks and four strikeouts in 6.2 innings in the no decision. All four North Vegas pitchers gave up at least one run. 

Just like North Vegas’ offensive outburst in game four, the Vault Boys’ bats were in sync for game five with 16 total hits. Donnellson was by far the best bat, going 3 for 4 with two home runs, five RBI, three runs scored, and a walk. 

The teams now travel back to North Vegas for game six. Vault-Tec will clinch the series by winning one of the two possible games scheduled.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: Mojave Series, Game Six

22862-6A_zpsbe93e763.jpg 22862-6B_zpsf90775a0.jpg

Rodriguez Dominates Again, Vault-Tec Wins Mojave Series

Game three may have been an epic battle with one unearned run doing Ricardo Rodriguez in. But that had nothing to do with game six, where Rodriguez pitched 8.2 innings of dominant baseball in helping the Vault Boys win the Mojave Series. 

Vault-Tec won 6-1 over North Vegas.

Rodriguez finished the game giving up one earned run on seven hits with five strikeouts. He threw 124 pitches before being pulled with two outs in the ninth after giving up a double and single. Wally Grant finished the game. 

Rich Richmond was the losing pitcher, allowing four earned runs on four hits with two walks in only two innings. 

The Vault Boys jumped out to an early lead on Richmond and the Radscorpions in the top of the first. Angel Serrano led off with a walk, followed by a Tony Donnellson double to move Serrano to third. James Sexton then hit an RBI ground out for a 1-0 lead. Joseph Dillon followed with an RBI single for a 2-0 lead. 

North Vegas also scored in the first. With one out, Kirby Brown hit a solo home run. That would be all the scoring the Radscorpions would have off Rodriguez. 

In the second, the Vault Boys extended their lead. Vaughn was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning. Rodriguez then bunted him over to second. Serrano then doubled in Vaughn for a 3-1 lead. With two outs, Sexton singled in Serrano for a 4-1 lead. 

Carlos Gonzalez replaced Richmond in the third. MC Mack Walt Williams led off with a single for the Vault Boys. Anthony Savage and Raul Castro then walked to load the bases. Vaughn followed that up by knocking in Williams on a sacrifice fly for a 5-1 advantage. 

The series’ final run came in the ninth. John Mulvaney saw his first action of the postseason in relief for North Vegas. With one out, Sexton and Dillon walked. With two outs, Savage hit an RBI single for the 6-1 final. 

Based on his two-game performance, Rodriguez was named the Mojave Series MVP. In two games, Rodriguez finished 1-1 with a 0.54 ERA. He allowed two runs, one earned, on eight hits with a walk and 11 strikeouts in 16.2 IP. Rodriguez did not play in the first round series due to injury.

Who Dat? 

Year 2: Top Individual Performances

Top Offensive Performance – Ken Turner, Ultra Luxe

Also, top team performance (+22) and the Freeside Kings' new logo :D

2286x-1A_zps7dba61f1.jpg 2286x-1B_zps1d99136b.jpg 2286x-1C_zps2048e937.jpg 2286x-1D_zpsf6415ae6.jpg

Top Pitching Performance – Jose Rosales, Camp McCarran

2286x-2A_zps27e0067b.jpg 2286x-2B_zps1a4404cb.jpg

Who Dat? 

Year 2: Offseason - Awards

Lefty Grove Trophy (Best Pitcher)

2286AwardsWard_zpsc62f838d.jpg

1. SP – Bob Ward, Novac – 10-3, 1.60 ERA, 162.2 IP, 51 BB, 147 K
2. SP – Nate Camp, North Vegas – 15-3, 2.34 ERA, 157.2 IP, 47 BB, 118 K
3. SP – Wilfred Buckley, Goodsprings – 12-5, 2.54 ERA, 145.1 IP, 30 BB, 156 K

Babe Ruth Trophy (Best Hitter)

2286AwardsOKill_zps34665deb.jpg

1. 1B - George O’Kill, North Vegas – .323, 22 2B, 29 HR, 73 RBI, 63 R, 59 BB
2. 1B – Edward Simpson, Sunset Sarsaparilla – .333, 31 2B, 3 3B, 21 HR, 74 RBI, 72 R, 34 BB
3. CF - Bob Franklin, Sunset Sarsaparilla – .280, 16 2B, 1 3B, 29 HR, 90 RBI, 69 R, 28 BB, 16 SB

Top Rookie (Best Player Under 23)

2286AwardsRiveria_zpsea287847.jpg

1. 1B – Francisco Riveria, Novac – .304, 17 2B, 15 HR, 50 RBI, 45 R, 21 BB
2. RF - Angel Serrano, Vault-Tec – .259, 14 2B, 5 3B, 6 HR, 33 RBI, 56 R, 35 BB, 19 SB
3. 1B - Tom Junktown Junkie, Gomorrah – .291, 19 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 42 RBI, 46 R, 9 BB, 22 SB

Mojave Postseason Award (Best Playoffs Performance)

2286AwardsSexton_zpsf0784924.jpg

1. LF - James Sexton, Vault-Tec – 11 G, 46 AB, 17 H (.370 AVG), 4 2B, 2 HR, 12 RBI, 10 R, 5 BB
2. SP - Tom Nelson, Vault-Tec – 4 G, 4 GS, 2-0, 2.88 ERA, 25 IP, 11 R, 8 ER, 8 BB, 25 K
3. SS - Joseph Dillon, Vault-Tec – 11 G, 42 AB, 17 H (.405 AVG), 2 2B, 2 HR, 10 RBI, 5 R, 7 BB, 1 SB

Honus Wagner Defense Trophy (Best Defensive Player per Position)

P – Jim Ford, New California Republic
C – Robert Glass, Sunset Sarsaparilla
1B – Scary Danny Parker, Atomic Wrangler
2B – Stu Vanstone, Goodsprings
3B – Ted Snyder, Novac
SS – George Gray, Atomic Wrangler
LF – Mike Duncan, Goodsprings
CF – Gerardo Makejoo, New California Republic
RF – Josh Spread, Tops

Who Dat? 

Year 2 Offseason: Lee’s Memo

The second offseason was just as busy as the first. There were lots of changes to come in the Winter Meetings. Again Lee addressed the league in a memo with announcements of exciting new and future changes. 

Greetings, owners! 

Congratulations to Vault-Tec and Leonard Strausser for your masterful postseason run. Also, congratulations to North Vegas and Novac for their postseason appearances. Finally, congratulations to Camp McCarran's PL team Nuka Cola winning the championship. 

This offseason we have some exciting changes to the league. One thing that we have discussed before is that we are going to try to expand our baseball influence to areas outside of the Mojave. Though I have no immediate intention to expanding the league franchises outside of the Mojave, we can find talent elsewhere. Therefore, starting today, I have sent scouts to different secured locations (thanks again, Mr. House, for your spectacular robot army!) in surrounding areas west, north, and east of here. By next year, I hope to have an eligible array of players from California, Arizona, and beyond. 

This offseason, Winter Meetings will begin on January 1 and conclude on January 4. I have a few things I would like to put on the ballot, including some proposed rule changes and discussing the relocation proposals of multiple teams in both the MBL and PL. Also, at the meeting we will officially unveil our brand new Mojave Baseball League screen as part of the official launch in the Mojave to the RobCo Network Center. 

As with everything, stay safe out there and see you all at the end of the year. 

Comm. Lee

Who Dat? 

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now