PointGuard

Who's Bret Vandergard and what's he done for us lately? [DDSCB3]

November 20: 

A clandestine meeting of 2 shadowy figures in a dark alley behind the local Cadillac dealership:

X: So all has been set in motion?
Y: Yes. The dvd with the alleged conversation will appear in Kriger's inbox tomorrow morning. No one will see it delivered. A duplicate copy will arrive in the league commissioner's office at the same approximate time.
X: Why would anyone take it seriously however?
Y: One of the voices is immediately recognizable to anyone that follows sports in the area. He is known for his integrity. He understood the consequences for not cooperating. Rest assured...he cooperated.
X: Excellent! Hyena is satisfied?
Y: Absolutely. If there had even been a hint of failure in the project... well...you know as well as I we would not be having this conversation at the moment. But as you can hear, my tongue is still intact. 
X: Last years conference championship, correct?
Y: Yes. The number of points supposedly shaved were believable. 
X:Hyena will be ecstatic.
Y: I plan to be no where around when it hits the fan. That laugh...."shudder"

(Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverines Studios Forums)

Nathaniel Austin, 2nd Asst Coach:

Game #3, Nov. 23, 2014: Eastern Washington Eagles (1-1) at Cleveland State Vikings (2-1)

Cleveland State has had a good inside-outside game thus far with SF David McCall averaging 14.5 ppg and PF Richard Jensen adding 11.5 ppg.

Three fouls against our inside starters in less than 1 minute of play. Coach V is fuming. We struggled early falling behind 15-6. But we scored the next 10 points to take a one point lead. We battled the refs as well as the Vikings with the lead switching back and forth until our shooting (57% for the half) bailed us out late in the half so that we took a 35-32 lead to the locker room. Cory Davis poured in 13 points for us while SG Darrick Hester dropped in 12 points for Cleveland State. Realizing our shooting percentage would likely be lower in the 2nd half, Coach V stressed playing a tight defense for the remainder of the game.

The players responded with solid defensive play plus total domination on the boards and we spurted to a 56-37 lead with 9 minutes to play. Cleveland State hit a series of 3’s late in the contest to trim our lead but the game was never in doubt. The team responded to Coach V’s halftime talk by playing tough defense. But ultimately the big difference in the game was our 34-11 pounding of the Vikings on the board. We also out-shot Cleveland State 56% to 44%. 

I was really proud of how the team played so solidly in all key areas of the game with the exception of turnovers (20 by us to 14 by the Vikings). Coach V game me a pat on the back also for preparing them so well.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (2-1)—69, Cleveland State (2-2)—61.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: PF Cory Davis-22 pts, 7 reb, 2 assists, 1 steal; C Joseph Palmer-12 pts, 6 reb, 1 block; PG Tim Dove-12 pts, 3 reb, 1 assist, 2 steals; SF Joseph Blackwell-7 pts, 4 reb, 2 assists.

Player of the Game: PF Cory Davis-22 pts, 7 reb, 2 assists, 1 steal.

Darrick Hester finished with 21 points for Cleveland State, but we held David McCall and Richard Jensen to a combined 10 points.

Christine Rozniak, City Council member and realtor

Phone call with an Unidentified Caller (UC):

CR: Yes, you’re absolutely right. I’m seething about my loss in the election for the legislative seat earlier this month. Who wouldn’t be? And the results were so close that just changing the votes of a few voters would have put me over the top. And to lose to none other than Dudley Do-Right, I mean Dudley Doolittle...OK, OK, Dudley Dupont, the little sacrosanct pissant.  I should be moving on to something more. This election has been a set-back, but I know I’m destined for big things.

UC: I thought you told me that head coach of the Eastern Washington basketball team, Bret Vander-nothing, was going to help you get a lot of votes.

CR: If Bret would have campaigned for me...even if he’d just attended events regularly with me…it would have put me over the top. Some of these Palouse-area people are so desperate for anything good to come Cheney’s way that even being the new coach of a so-so basketball team is enough to make them think he’s the next messiah. Small town creatures with small minds and small ambitions. I was sure Bret would do it after all I’ve done for him. He seems to think he’s precluded from active campaigning because of his position, but there’s nothing in his contract about that. It felt like I was stabbed in the back. And I don’t take stabs in the back well, as you know.

UC: Well, it’s like they say, payback is hell.

CR: (Laughing) You have such a succinct way of saying things.

UC: So, you do have plans.

CR: You KNOW that Christine Rozniak ALWAYS has plans. That whole athletic department at the college is a snake pit. There’s this secretary over there, Nancy Parker, who I have found out has it in for me for some reason. She should know better than to mess with Christine Rozniak.

UC: Oh boy, I can’t wait. So many deeds to do, so little time.

Corky Branigan, KSPK,Radio Commentator

Excerpts from radio interview with Bret Vandergard:

CB: Hey sports fans, tonight we have Bret Vandergard, the head basketball coach for the Eastern Washington Eagles, with us. Coach, good to see you again. Things seem to have settled down for you after a rather tumultuous first year as head coach with all sorts of allegations and rumors.

BV: (Chuckling) Yes, and you have to believe I’m darned glad of that. We’ve been able to completely focus on getting the team prepared for the new season.

CB: Your new 2nd assistant coach, Nathaniel Austin, is in charge of player development, isn’t he?

BV: Yes, he is, Corky.

CB: It seems he has done a good job getting the guys playing as a team.

BV: Yes, I’ve been very pleased how he’s been able to come in and begin molding the team and working with every player and developing their skills.

CB: But has Lawrence Montgomery been upset with his demotion to 3rd assistant?

BV: Corky, it was NOT a demotion. What happened is that Lawrence didn’t renew his contract so he could go after some head coaching jobs. When the right one didn’t materialize, he talked with me about coming back to Cheney. I was elated to be able to get him back, but had already filled the 2nd assistant position. So Lawrence agreed to come back as 3rd assistant but at the same pay level as he was last year. He’s continuing to focus on scouting and is doing a great job for us in that role.

CB: What players are making a difference for you this year, Coach?

BV: At the beginning of the year, our starting 5 was in doubt, but we’ve pretty much settled on 4 starters now. Tim Dove is doing a very good job at point guard. Shawn Jackson has won back his starting role at shooting guard. He’s still learning, but I think he shows flashes of excellent offensive ability and will become more consistent the more experience he garners. Inside both Cory Davis and Joseph Palmer have played some outstanding ball. The only position that remains up in the air is at small forward where both Joseph Blackwell and Delawn West have had hot and cold nights in games thus far. So the battle for that position continues…not a bad thing really since either one can come off the bench to ignite our offense. I think our bench is deeper this year also.

CB: Tell me Coach, what is your main area of concern?

BV: Offensively we are shooting well, but I’d like to see our guys open up more from outside. We are a bit timid from outside 15 feet, and in particular from beyond the arc. Rebounding has been our biggest strength thus far this year, but it’s too often been offset by our inability to hold onto the ball. Turnovers are our #1 deficiency. We’re working with the guys in practice on this, but we’re losing too far many opportunities and giving our opponents too many easy scores with bad passes, being stripped of the ball, 24-second violations, and too many steps. Another problem is that we’ve been fouling too much, but that’s probably more a case of playing on the road all the time rather than at home.

CB: How’s the fan support been this year for you?

BV: (Laughing). Well, since we’ve played ALL of our games on the road, fan support at games has been nil. But we’re seeing bigger season-ticket sales this year, so I think our home game crowd support will be stronger this year. Our boosters club, led by their president Bud Springfield, has been active in raising interest in the community also.

CB: Bud Springfield…hmmm…does he own Springfield Ford in Cheney.

BV: Yes, that’s the one. He’s been a long-term Eagles’ fan and supporter of the college.

CB: Do you have close ties with him?

BV: Oh, I wouldn’t say close ties. He and I talk occasionally but I prefer to not be Eagles’ Wings Fan Club or have them directly involved with the team or players to avoid any question of impropriety.

CB: Don’t you think they want a close association with you and the team though?

BV: Well, the relationship is what it is and what it will be, Corky. The team and I have one and only one focus and that’s to play each and every game as well as possible. And I think the Fan Club has a completely separate role of building good fan support at games.

CB: One last question, Coach. How many games are you going to win and are you going to make it to the NCAA Tournament this year?

BV: Wow, Corky. Thanks for trying to paint me into a corner at the end of this interview. It’s far too early to give an answer to either part of that question. Our team is still developing as are the rest of the teams in the Big Sky. So we’ll just have to see how that development plays out. Also, as you know, unexpected things can happen. Like injuries. We’ve already had a couple players missing games due to minor injuries. Hopefully the injury bug doesn’t bite us too hard. With regard to the NCAA Tournament, to get to it from the Big Sky, you really need to win the Conference Tournament…and no matter how good you are, that’s a crap shoot. One off night or one opponent who plays at the top of their game can kill your chances. 

CB: Thanks Coach for being with us tonight. Good luck with the season and I hope to see you back on with us soon.

Michael Jackson, Player’s parent:

Damn, first Vandergard relegates Shawn to the bench. Finally he sees the error of his ways, but he still isn’t getting the team to work the ball over to Shawn enough or to screen out enough to give Shawn some good shots. This coach is as dumb as a post. He's got an all-star player on his team and doesn't even realize it.

Bud Springfield, Eagles’ Wings Fan Club President, owns Springfield Ford dealership

___ dammit! Not only am I and the rest of the Fan Club being frozen out from any real access to this team, but now Vandergard has the temerity to go onto the radio and call us out! What the ___! He should know better than to bite the hand that ___ing feeds him. I along with other members of the Fan Club have donated a bunch of money to this school over the years. We deserve some perks, dammit! And hey! Some of us have contacts throughout the Northwest that could help give some good access to recruits. I’m not talking bribes here (although is a Ford a real bribe?...LOL), but for ___’s sake, why not let us make a few well-placed and well-times phone calls? I’ve tried talking sense to Vandergard, but it’s like talking to a ___ing bumper on one of my cars.

Mary Alice, get your ass into my office!  Where's my ___ing coffee?  You do want to keep your job as my secretary, don't you?

Jack Cooper, Barber:

JC: Heya Coach, good to see you in here. I thought you’d forgotten you need to get your hair cut. 

BV: Hello Jack. Yes, it has been a while. We’ve been playing away so much I had to get one haircut in another city. But you know, no barber can cut hair as well as you.

JC: That’s what I tell all my other customers, but they don’t seem to listen or appreciate me. (Laughing)

TF: Oh, you’re the Eagles coach, aren’t you? I’m Tommy Frothmore.

BV: Nice to meet you, Tommy.

JC: You may wish you hadn’t put it that way, Coach.

TF: Hey Coach, I used to be the star guard for the high school here in Cheney back in the 80’s. Not bragging, but I took ‘em to the state tournament in my senior year. And the coach relied on me running the team. Think I could really give you some tips on how to tune up your team.

JC: See what I told you Coach. Tommy is the town know-it-all, whether it’s basketball, the weather or cutting hair. And Tommy, you know damned well that you barely played at all til your senior year, and Bernie Vartuzzi averaged something like 25 points per game at center that year and scored 45 and hauled down 15 rebounds in the regional championship game to get you guys to state. 

TF: But he scored all those points because of ME, Jack. Hell, if I wouldn’t have been setting up the offense and feeding him the ball, he would have looked like a chump. You know, that guy never did thank me.

JC: Oh no, here we go. Mr. I Can Do Anything, spouting off yet again. You know, Tommy, my ears nearly drop off after you come in here and go on and on about whatever you could do better than anyone else.

TF: I tell you Coach, I’m ready, able and willing to give you some tips on making your team into champions. Here, let me write down my number for you…give me a call and you’ll see. That team of yours will do just like the team I ran in my high school years…win, win, win.

Torbern “Swede” Olaffson, Athletic Director:

TO: Thanks for stopping by Bret. I listened to your radio interview with Corky Branigan. Overall it went pretty well, I think. But I did get a call from Clement Morgan, El Presidente. It seems as though he’s received a few complaints from members of the Fan Club that they thought your comments were dismissive and disparaging of them. And you should know by now that President Morgan doesn’t like to ruffle feathers of those who have made significant monetary contributions to the college’s fund-raising efforts.

BV: Geez Swede. All I said was that we, as a basketball team, had to be careful to maintain at least some distance between us and the Fan Club. Heck, if we didn’t, you’d probably be getting a call from the NCAA rather than El Presidente.

TO: Yes, I know that. But Bret, just be careful how you handle these media interviews. At least this year we don’t seem to be hearing a bunch on trash from Jim Rome.

BV: Yeah. I think he wore himself out. And when his BS didn’t resonate with his listeners all that well and he wasn’t getting all sort of buzz, I guess he decided to spread his BS on more fertile ground.

TO: OK, I guess there’s no need for me to beat all this to death. But Bret, I’m getting too old and this college’s athletic programs aren’t big-time enough for me to have to handle a lot of controversy. This should be a good pre-retirement job for me, not one where I have to try to continually settle down mobs of angry people and put out fires.

BV: Gotcha Swede. Now can I get back to practice?

TO: Yeah Bret, get the hell out of my office, hot shot. (Grumbling something to himself about how he could have lived in peace if he'd just hired a could who would have continued a losing, but low-key program.)

Voice mail left on Bret's office phone:

"Coach, Meaghan Kriley, Spokane Spokesman. I urgently need to meet with you. Yesterday would be best. I know you are busy, but this can't wait. An anonymous source left a damning audio file on my desk concerning your team. With all that happened last year with Jim Rome, I'm not going anywhere with this until I have a chance to speak with you in person. This is far too sensitive a matter to discuss over the phone. Be forewarned though, I may not be the only one that was a recipient of this file, so the quicker we can meet the better. I'll be waiting for your call."

(Copy of posting by CoachC in the Wolverine Studios Forums)

Headline in the sports section of the Spokane Spokesman:

SPORTS RADIO PERSONALITY MISSING
"Popular sports personality and long time play by play announcer for Eastern Washington university basketball, Corky Branigan has not been seen by family or firiends since covering the recent EWU game at Cleveland St. Although his bag had been checked in at the airport for the return flight, it is now known that Branigan was not aboard the airplane when it left Cleveland. Police are treating this as a case of a missing person. According to Cheney Police Chief, Matt Hauser, the Cleveland police department is cooperating with the Cheney police department in the investigation and they have uncovered several leads."

(Copied from posting by CoachC in the Wolverine Studios Forum)

Torbern “Swede” Olaffson, Athletic Director:

TO: (Climbing into the car driven by Bret Vandergard) What the hell is up, Bret? You call me and tell me you need me to accompany you somewhere but won’t say where, why or about what. 

BV: I’m sorry Swede, but I didn’t dare talk about this thing on the phone. Thanks for agreeing to come with me though. I think it’s important that you hear whatever this is about first-hand and right away.

TO: Damn, you’re still be secretive, Bret.

BV: I wasn’t trying to be and I don’t know much. I got this phone message from Meaghan Kriley. You know her, right? She is a columnist for the Spokane Spokesman-Review. Anyway, her phone message said some kind of recording was left with her that in some way implicates the team or me or something. She wouldn’t say much more other than we needed to meet immediately to discuss it in person.

TO: ___ dammit. What next? 

BV: Swede, I really don’t know. But isn’t it strange that Corky Branigan is missing? He interviewed me right after the game with Cleveland State and all seemed normal. He didn’t mention any problems he was having or seem to be bothered in any way. I sure hope he’s OK.

Meaghan Kriley, Spokane Spokesman-Review Columnist:

MK: Hi Coach, I’m glad you got over here right away. But I thought it would be just you coming.

BV: Look Meaghan, I couldn’t make heads or tails out of your message, but it sounded bad. I just felt it was best if Swede heard what’s going on so he wouldn’t be surprised. So Meaghan, what’s all this about?

MK: I don’t really know what it’s all about, but you’re right, it’s bad. Let me tell you right up front with regard to this, though...I’m a reporter rather than your friend. And while I’m not going to press with this immediately, anything we say is ON the record. Anyway, let’s listen to the audio file and then maybe YOU can explain it to me………….

(File consists of a conversation between two people, one of whom is unknown, but the primary speaker is easily recognizable as Corky Brannigan. During the conversation, Brannigan states that he believes beyond a reasonable doubt that at least two, possibly three EWU players accepted bribes to shave points during the conference championship game last spring. The other voice asks Corky how he knows this, and as Brannigan begins to reply the audio abruptly ends.)

MK: There you have it. Clearly it doesn't represent proof of anything. Brannigan, however is highly respected in the sports community, and his integrity has always been beyond reproach. Naturally, my first instinct was to contact him myself, but was not able to reach him. But now.....

(BV and TO both look thunderstruck and confused)

MK: Have you seen this morning's paper, gentlemen? This recording is now evidence in a police investigation. But the two of you deserved to hear it first. Who else may have received a copy of the dvd, i have no idea,. Now that you've heard it, however, do you care to enlighten this humble reporter about what the hell is going on?

Clandestine Meeting between 2 unknown people:

X: Hyena is livid! Has given orders that Brannigan is to be found NOW and dealt with.
Y: Looks like his handler has already been dealt with.
X: But now it's up to us to find Brannigan, before he finds his way to someone that will listen.
Y: Where do.....shh....someone's coming.

(Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios Forum)

Front page headline in the Spokane Spokesman-Review:

TEENS FIND BODY 

"Two teenage boys found a body washed up on the banks of the Spokane River in a wooded area northwest of Fairmount Memorial Park late yesterday afternoon. The body had been stabbed, shot, hands tied behind the back, and one ear missing. Police suspect foul play. 

The body has not yet been identified."

(Copied from posting by CoachC  in Wolverine Studios Forum)

MK: So some on. Gentlemen, I repeat: what the hell is going on? What’s this all about?

BV: Meaghan! Do you seriously expect that we’d have anything to say about that? This allegation is not only a complete surprise to us, but the fact that it might tie into a murder investigation is unfathomable.

TO: (Breathing rapidly and shallowly) Oh god, I wish I had brought my heart pills.

BV: Are you OK, Swede? You better lay down. Meaghan, can you get Swede some water? 

TO: God, I should have taken the Community College job.

BV: Try to relax and breathe deeper, Swede. Dammit, Meaghan, what’s taking you so long getting the water?

TO: (Incoherent babbling)

BV: Oh crap, I’m calling 911. (Does so). Hello, I need some EMT’s over here. My boss may be having a heart attack. The address? (hands phone to Meaghan Kriley)…Meaghan, talk to 911, they need the address.

Spokane Spokesman-Review article:

Game #4, Nov. 26, 2014: Eastern Washington Eagles (2-1) at Utah Valley State Wolverines (2-1)

Eastern Washington’s basketball team went into the game against Utah Valley State with the challenge to keep the Wolverines’ two big men, center Rodney Clancy (15.0 ppg) and power forward Livan Johnson (10.7 ppg) in check. The Eagles would be without the services of SF Delawn West, nursing a sprained toe.

Within 3-1/2 minutes, both starting guards (Tim Dove and Shawn Jackson) were sitting on the Eagles’ bench with 2 fouls apiece. Eastern Washington couldn’t ignite their offense, hitting just 35% of their shots and turning the ball over 8 times in the first stanza. Meanwhile, Utah Valley State hit 50% of their field goals (including 4 of 9 from 3-point distance) and had just 3 turnovers. When the buzzer sounded at halftime, the Eagles trailed 32-21. Center Joseph Palmer led their scoring with 10 points.

Things didn’t improve for the Eagles in the 2nd half. Utah Valley State opened a 23 point lead before the Eagles were able to reduce the deficit at the end of the game, but it was too little, too late. 

Interviewed after the game, Coach Vandergard said, “This was our 4th straight game on the road. Our guys looked a little tired and out-of-synch tonight. And defensively, Utah Valley State kept the pressure on all night.”

Four of Utah Valley State’s starters scored in double figures.

Final Score: Utah Valley State (3-1)—66, Eastern Washington (2-2)—51.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: C Joseph Palmer-17 pts, 5 reb, 1 block; PG Robbie Taflinger-7 pts, 4 reb, 1 assist, 2 steals.

Player of the Game: Utah Valley States’ PF Livan Johnson-16 pts, 7 reb, 1 steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachC viewpost.gif
The body had been stabbed, shot, hands tied behind the back, and one ear missing. Police suspect foul play.

The first time I read this posting, my mind was trying to figure out how this might cause the dynasty thread to evolve. But I just re-read it and put the two above sentences together. LOL..."police suspect foul play". biggrin.gif 

I guess the Spokane PD doesn't want to go out on a limb and commit too early. BUt I guess it COULD be a masochist committing suicide. LMAO

There have been real world cases where the police ruled suicide when the victim had been shot multiple times.

(Copied from posting by Wayne23 in the Wolverine Studio Forum)

Headline on page 2 of the Spokane Spokesman-Review for Nov 27

BODY FOUND BY RIVER IDENTIFIED

"The body found on the banks of the Spokane River by two area teens earlier in the week has now been positively identified as that of Bud "Buddy" Springfield, Jr., son of the owner of Springfield Ford in Cheney, Bud Springfield, Sr. A police source close to the investigation revealed to the Review that the younger Springfield had had numerous run-ins with the law over the years and had recently served two years of a five year sentence for racketeering."

Front page headline in the Spokane Spokesman-Review for Nov 28

SEARCH FOR MISSING RADIO SPORTSCASTER CONTINUES

"The search for popular radio sports personality Corky Brannigan, missing since November 23, continues. A police source close to the investigation speaking under conditions of anonymity told the Spokesman-Review that numerous tipsters have called the police departments of both Cleveland and Cheney claiming to have seen Brannigan in various places around the country. The source said, "In cases like this all the nuts come out of the woodwork. You have to be very careful figuring out which leads are worth following and which are wild goose chases and a waste of resources. We had one lady send us a blurry photo from Graceland, which she swore was Brannigan dressed up as an Elvis impersonator." Other reported sightings of Brannigan occurred at the international terminal at O'Hare airport in Chicago, and at a Taco Bell at the Mall of the Americas in Minnesota."

Clement Morgan, University President:

CM: I just got back from the hospital. They are treating Swede. He seems to be in good hands, but you just never know about these things.

BV: Yes, I’ve been checking on him also. I never knew he had heart problems. This whole thing shook me up pretty badly also, so I can see how it could have triggered something for Swede.

CM: I just don’t understand what is happening Bret. The information you’ve passed along to me is all so sketchy. Did some of our players actually shave points? Is there some kind of gambling problem for some of our players or staff?

BV: President Morgan, you’ve got me. This is like a thunderbolt from the blue. I really can’t imagine that anyone in the basketball program would be involved in anything like a point shaving scheme. But I’m going to start asking some questions. 

CM: You’re damned right you will. We have to get to the bottom of this and fast. And how does this possibly tie into Corky Branigan going missing or Bud Springfield’s son being murdered?

BV: (shaking his head) God if I know. First I was hoping the body wasn’t Corky’s and now they find the body is the son of the president of our Fan Club. But since the police have the audio file of the alleged conversation, I’m sure they will be contacting you and me any time now to try to see if there are any connections to either case. I sure hope Corky Branigan shows up soon and that he’s OK. There’s just too many strange things happening. Getting back to the points shaving allegation, I’m going to begin by talking with every one of the players and coaches and asking some very pointed questions.

CM: I’m going to appoint a university committee to oversee this, Bret. You can begin with your questioning, but they will be in touch with you very soon and you’re to follow exactly what they say to do.

BV: That’s fine by me. I also think we should notify the NCAA. I’m sure they will be investigating this also, so it’s wise to get out in front of this.

CM: We’ve got one lowest-level basketball programs in Division I. We’ve been back-burner all along. But ever since you’ve arrived, we’ve had nothing but controversy. First there was Jim Rome, then Branigan goes missing, next the audio file about point shaving, and finally the murder. These point shaving allegations better be just that, allegations, and resolved satisfactorily damned soon.

Jamal Smith, 1st Asst Coach:

After questioning all of us assistant coaches, Coach V brings in each player individually to his office and asks me to sit in on the meetings.

He begins by telling them they need to be totally upfront and honest in their answers. Anything else will result in quick and severe action on his part. He then meticulously asks each a series of questions about their knowledge of any gambling involvement by anyone on the team, any associations with questionable people outside the program, any point shaving or other illegal activities. 

All the players seem completely surprised by the things about which they are questioned and vehemently deny they have any knowledge whatsoever of anything going on at all. Unless any of them are really good liars, I don't believe they're either involved or even know about gambling, point shaving or shady associations.

Jamal Smith, 1st Asst Coach:

Game #5, Nov. 30, 2014: Eastern Washington Eagles (2-2) at Fairfield Stags (2-2)

Coach V stayed back in Cheney, as ordered by University President Clement Morgan, to deal with the firestorm that has blown up. At least 4 separate investigative teams are prowling around the campus. Cheney PD investigating the disappearance of Corky Branigan, Spokane PD investigating the death of Bud Springfield Jr., the NCAA investigating whether there was point-shaving, and the university committee centered on the point-shaving allegations but also trying to determine any common ties with the disappearance and murder. 

So Coach V has me running the team tonight, but I’ll be relying heavily on 2nd Assistant Coach Nathaniel Austin. Nat works on player development and is much more highly involved in team practices than am I. Delawn West stayed home since his sprained toe still is keeping him from making cuts on the floor. Joseph Blackwell will again start at SF.

We shot well to start the game, but the refs were calling more than a foul a minute against us which kept Fairfield in the game. I boiled over and the refs called a well-deserved technical against me late in the first half. By the end of the half the refs had called 14 fouls against us but only 8 against Fairfield. That put the Stags on the line 10 more times at which they scored 7 more points than us. That ended up to be the margin of difference at the break with us trailing 39-32. Michael Taylor’s 6 points led our scoring. Four of our starters had 2 fouls apiece.

We kept chipping away at the lead, but didn’t tie the game at 53-53 until the 11 minute mark. But we didn’t take a lead until there were just 5 minutes remaining. From there on the lead see-sawed back and forth repeatedly. But in the last 2 minutes we opened a 4 point lead. Fairfield hit a couple 3’s in the last 30 seconds, but we held on to eke out a victory on the road.

Fairfield had just 4 turnovers while we turned the ball over 15 times, but we hit 61% of our shots compared to Fairfield’s 49% shooting, and we out-rebounded the Stags 30-19.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (3-2)—83, Fairfield (2-3)—81.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SG Shawn Jackson-16 pts, 4 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal; PF Cory Davis-13 pts, 3 reb, 1 assist, 1 block; C Joseph Palmer-9 pts, 6 reb, 2 assists, 1 steal; PG Tim Dove-8 pts, 3 reb, 3 assists; C Michael Taylor-8 pts, 6 reb.

Player of the Game: SG Shawn Jackson-16 pts, 4 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal.

The players said they fought so hard throughout the entire game to demonstrate their support of Coach Vandergard. When I call Coach V after the game, he congratulates me on coaching the team to a win and asks me to pass along a big pat on the back to the entire team.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now