Sign in to follow this  
denninbj

Question for experienced ootp players by someone considering getting back into it.

So i last played in around 2010 and found the game confusing. The draft system never really appealed to me and seemed far too complex so i typically just simmed it. I also found it odd when i would play historical sims that i would draft a real life hall of famer and keep him in the minors for a couple years then bring up up an have him be terrible. I suppose another problem i had was the minor leagues, i felt them to be far too complex to manage all by myself so i would let that be automanaged. Every year i would trade for the top players and have none of them them rated as top prospect the following season. Also if i had a good pick the player would be in the major almost immediately, which i find unbelievable.

I do not want to manage the actual games at all, just want to be the gm, as in make the signings, draft the team etc. And would consider moving the players up and down the minors and such if that is in my best interest. My big selling point is if the draft becomes more user friendly and if signing and finding foreign minors became a bigger part of the game.

Give me you thoughts, and if i should give the game a retry.

It sounds like you and I want to play the game the same way. With the minor league system I will often let the AI run it now that there is an option to disable the AI's ability to promote and demote specific players. This allows you to let the AI run the minors, but you can manage your top prospects.

Regarding the draft, the system can be overwhelming and the game in general has a steep learning curve. I find that it is manageable if I simply rank them by overall ratings and select from the 5-10 players with the highest potential (according to my scout). I don't remember if this was around in 2010, it might have been added a year later, but even when you don't have feeder leagues, draft eligible players will still have a season of high school or college statistics generated. I usually let the AI draft after the 10th round, because all the players are similar and unlikely to reach the majors at that point (much like real life), and when I do draft past then I tend to target specific skills (draft the fastest guy left or the guy with the best velocity).

I don't play historical sims, so I can't comment on that, but if you are unhappy with the talent changes, you can easily modify the talent change randomness so that players fall more in line with their projections. Also, there is a natural fog of war created by scouting and if your scout is not very good he could be identifying mediocre prospects as top prospects, this can also be disabled if you prefer to play without it.

In short, I would highly recommend OOTP. It has a very steep learning curve and can be very confusing at first, but there is a very strong community at the OOTP forums (and hopefully here in the future), that will happily guide you along. Almost everything in the game is customizable, and it can be as difficult or easy as you want.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this