Peekaboo

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Helpful

If you have, for example, your defenders set as offensive, do they take away shots from your forwards?

Posted May 29, 2019 - 08:39 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • 24 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Take shots away is a rather poor way of looking at it. Explaining why would be getting real deep into probability mathematics that doesn't go into answering your question so I won't give you a full explanation. Suffice to say the answer is no with a short explanation that the shot a given player takes no one else was going to take.

Basically, unless you have a way of finding out if your team is doing this:

Don't worry about who specifically is taking however many shots.

Posted May 29, 2019 - 10:12 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Yeah, the answer to this is a complicated one.  You could always test it out.  Review a few game logs with defensemen set to Offensive vs. Two Way/Stay Home and gauge the shot allocations.  You would probably need a large sample size to properly evaluate the results - and the results are highly subjective.

I would think that offensive defensemen would take "some" shots away from forwards, but that they would also generate MORE offense.  That being said, here's my non-verified, "best guess" at what would happen, using a completely made up scenario. 

Offensive:  Team shots 35 (Forwards 23, Defense 12)

Not Offensive:  Team shots 30 (Forwards 25, Defense 5)

Personally, I think of that as 5 more shots, not 2 less shots from forwards.

*As with most things in this game, I use the "feel test" rather than fact based logic.  It's just more fun that way.  Try both scenarios and go with whichever one gives you better vibes.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted May 29, 2019 - 11:56 AM

Peekaboo

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Don't worry about who specifically is taking however many shots.

Well, I'd rather have my 99 shooting guys take the shots instead of 80ish ones :D

Posted May 29, 2019 - 02:41 PM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationUnited States

Well, I'd rather have my 99 shooting guys take the shots instead of 80ish ones :D

Me too if it seemed like that mattered much in the game!  Every season I am usually surprised by who leads or more importantly, does NOT lead, my team in goals.  Case in point, this season (albeit a small sample and too many trades to even keep it objective) my highest goal scorer is 92 shooting.  Yet my 98 shooting offensive D man only had 4 goals on 111 shots in 80 games!  If you break down your stats by goals per shot, then you tend to see the trend towards higher scoring rating = higher scoring percentage, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, so I'd rather have a slightly lower rating player shooting more often.  For instance, one of the highest scoring percentage players on my team had 6 goals on just 51 shots!  His shooting rating is 80!  I have plenty of players with higher ratings with less goals.  

Bottomline, I think there are way too many variables to bank on that alone.  Time on ice, won faceoffs, PP time, Tactic based on score of game, tiredness, the opposing goalie, opposing defense tactic, opposing d-men and forwards, etc.  Too many variables in my opinion to favor a 95 shooter over a 90 shooter alone.  

Posted May 29, 2019 - 04:20 PM

Kyle44

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: March 2019
Rep - Helpful

Case in point, this season (albeit a small sample and too many trades to even keep it objective) my highest goal scorer is 92 shooting.  Yet my 98 shooting offensive D man only had 4 goals on 111 shots in 80 games! 

Could be that your dman is supporting a more shooter heavy forward line or powerplay line.  That could make him more of a playmaker instead of a shooter

Posted May 29, 2019 - 07:03 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • 24 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

As I think any team would want their best shooter taking every shot in the game however when has that happened in an NHL game? I've seen instances where Brooks Orpik takes a shot on goal even though Alex Ovechkin is on the ice. The reality is that if a player finds themselves in a good shooting position then they should take the shot because you don't know if you will even get a better shot chance in that same offensive zone time.

Posted May 30, 2019 - 03:52 AM

Peekaboo

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful
Thats all fine, I just want my best shooters to have 200+ through whole season and wonder if there is a way go have control over that :)

Posted May 30, 2019 - 08:05 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • 24 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Player roles and line set ups. Snipers and power forwards seem to be the biggest shot takers. Having the line they are on be offensively focused will encourage more offense. Beyond that, it comes down to how your team plays relative to your opponent.

Posted May 31, 2019 - 03:11 PM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationUnited States

And to state the obvious, TOI is the first place to start, so set your lines so your heaviest shooters spend the most time on the ice.  But again, no guarantees as I often will have a 3rd or 4th liner randomly lead my team in shots that game from time to time.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users