Photo

Trait preference

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Trait preference (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Which trait do you care about the most?

1. Ego (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. Leadership (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Big Games (11 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

4. Ambition (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Which trait do you care about the least?

1. Ego (9 votes [56.25%])

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

2. Leadership (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. Big Games (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

4. Ambition (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Posted May 23, 2019 - 05:08 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Figured I'd go ahead and start posting a few questions here and there that may (or may not) start discussions and get the community engaged.

When building a team, which traits make a player appealing and which traits do you not factor in as much when looking for a player (if you had to pick one)?

I know a lot of managers are drawn in by that Green Heroic Big Games trait and others mainly go for Friendly and Compassionate players to boost Teamwork (or Arrogant/Cocky to boost Winner Instinct).  I figured I'd exclude the Dirty trait since most of the managers I've talked to seem to be split on that one.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted May 23, 2019 - 05:47 PM

Kyle44

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: March 2019
Rep - Helpful

Personally, I like Leadership when picking my first batch of players but for fa's I've started looking at ambition a lot since lazy traits have shown players to retire earlier now.  I look at big games the least usually (idek why tbh) but I definitely will start taking the big game trait more seriously now after my late season crumble lol, while ego is something I look at as the deciding factor if everything else checks out for me.

Posted May 24, 2019 - 11:14 AM

AlexanderRasputin

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: May 2018
Rep - Reliable

Ambition is probably the most important one for me right now, as I prefer growing younger players. Heroic players do consistently play better than similar non-Heroic players, though, so that remains an important one to look for.

Posted May 24, 2019 - 01:17 PM

ColoKrabatt

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Reliable
Big games and/or ambitions. But as everything here it's just one piece in the puzzle... I'm also looking on ego, but lesser.  And of course I have lot of players which aren't heroic and ambitious, but are performing well enough for me.

Leadership as "care about the least", just cuz I already have great captains and too much leaders is too much problems. ;)

Edit: Ego can be both good and bad. And I don't mean red/green definition.  As You mentioned, sometimes You need cocky or arrogant brat for your squad.  It's really hard to exclude something from the scouting and evaluating process... I wiew player as whole bunch of numbers, pros and cons etc. I'm not truly focusing on some area while deciding.

Edit2: If You wouldn't have excluded dirty, I'd set that as "care about the least". One of my GENTLE players has soo much penalty minutes that he can't even count it. On the other hand, my two Dmen agitators have 284 pim together, so again I'm sure just about one thing - I know nothing.

ATTACK |GHL| KINGSTON KINGSMEN

Posted May 26, 2019 - 08:39 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Personally, I like Leadership when picking my first batch of players but for fa's I've started looking at ambition a lot since lazy traits have shown players to retire earlier now.  I look at big games the least usually (idek why tbh) but I definitely will start taking the big game trait more seriously now after my late season crumble lol, while ego is something I look at as the deciding factor if everything else checks out for me.

This is funny because I am typically the exact opposite.  It's the Big Games trait that usually draws me in.  Something about that Green Heroic or Determined - and a strong opposition to Nervous and Anxious.  Lately I've been trying to put more emphasis on Ego.  Those Cocky and Arrogant players can boost your Winner Instinct, but I've found my team plays better when my players are mostly Friendly and Compassionate.  Could be all in my head.  Other than picking my 3 captains I don't really care about Leadership.  Ambition is another that doesn't really sway me one way or the other. 

Posted May 26, 2019 - 09:21 PM

Kyle44

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: March 2019
Rep - Helpful

This is funny because I am typically the exact opposite.  It's the Big Games trait that usually draws me in.  Something about that Green Heroic or Determined - and a strong opposition to Nervous and Anxious.  Lately I've been trying to put more emphasis on Ego.  Those Cocky and Arrogant players can boost your Winner Instinct, but I've found my team plays better when my players are mostly Friendly and Compassionate.  Could be all in my head.  Other than picking my 3 captains I don't really care about Leadership.  Ambition is another that doesn't really sway me one way or the other. 

Ya as you said, it could all be in my head too lol, but when I choose strong leaders, my team usually plays very well.  That being said, I prefer to have a few traits in green so it ends up evening out somewhat.  As for the ego and dirty categories, I am honestly ok with them being in the red because ego could boost winner instinct and the dirty players fit my system well since I usually use the hard or dirty tactic.  Ambition only recently became important to me after I had 23 and 28 year old players retiring on me lol 

Posted May 27, 2019 - 12:27 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • 24 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Big Games is over rated in my opinion. A nervous or anxious player with a cocky ego can be just as clutch as a heroic or determined player. I don't go for any one thing over another as much as I try to find a balance and then keep it. If my team has high team work and winner instinct and I lose someone I try to make sure that what I get to replace them isn't too different than what I lost in terms of ego and clutch traits to avoid too drastic a swing.

The only time I key on any one trait is when looking at player development so I can try to guess how much actual potential the player has left in them. If they are growing a lot with lazy they likely are world class talents. If they are growing moderately with ambitious they likely aren't better than a B prospect.

Posted May 28, 2019 - 08:42 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Big Games is over rated in my opinion.

Totally agree.  Just something about it that draws me in.

Posted May 31, 2019 - 09:09 PM

EXXEO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding
I tend to look more at the Big Game section when it comes down to my blue line. Having Defensemen or Goalies that don’t get shaken is a staple of our teams. I will say that if their other skill attributes overcome their character, I may still put anxious or nervous player behind the blue line, but don’t prefer to.

I look at Ambition only when drafting or selecting younger players as I’d rather spend some capital on individuals that have a chance at actual growth.

I’m with Paul and Krabbat on leadership. Once I get my 3 captains, I tend not to care as much.

Lastly, while it is the least of my concerns, I do feel like my team gets better when they actually are friendly etc. In fact, I usually don’t like to pair two arrogant defensemen for communication reasons.

Posted June 09, 2019 - 04:37 PM

Deadwing

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: February 2018
Rep - Outstanding

Big games and Ambition are the ones I look at first. I try to have a true leader, motivator and role model in leadership for captains. Ego is my last priority because I don't fully understand how it affects the big picture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users