bremitt

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: July 2017
Rep - Helpful

now i understand the idea behind making players that are "cocky" and "arrogant" seem like a bad thing, and if you have a lot of these players, that would be a detriment to the dressing room chemistry, and this suggestion would sort of make having a lot of those players a positive, but here goes. 

Not sure if a suggestion is even the proper term, but more of an observation. My team is bad, and they have been doing bad, and I ran a lot of players through my team this season, so there are a lot of players that have been sat for long periods of time. I get that this hurts their confidence and I understand the reasoning behind this in the game. But I have players that are "cocky" and "arrogant" who are "anxious" or "uncomfortable", wouldn't these players always have high confidence? isn't that what being cocky or arrogant is? always thinking your hot stuff, which means they would have little issues in the confidence department.

Now, if you changed it so that "cocky" and "arrogant" players were always confident, or at least had a confidence floor of "good", this would mean that bringing in those types of players would be a positive because they would always play at a higher level than someone who is the same skill level but has "uncomfortable" or "anxious" confidence. So I can understand that it sort of defeats the purpose of having personality issues being bad for a team. But if you could find a balance between them always being confident but they hurt the team chemistry enough that it's not worth it, etc, it may work. Or you could leave it as is, and that would be fine. As stated, not really a suggestion, just a funny observation.

Posted May 25, 2019 - 02:52 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • 24 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Anxious and uncomfortable is relating more to how they handle pressure. It is possible to have a confident player that doesn't handle pressure well. Thus those two things are comparing two different characteristics of a player that don't directly relate.

Posted May 30, 2019 - 05:48 PM

bremitt

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

I think you misunderstand me...

I'm not talking about "Anxious" in their "Big Game" rating, i mean when they are "anxious" in their confidence level. It changes (from my understanding) based on how often they are played and how well they are playing. This isn't about a confident player not handling pressure, it's about a player who has very low confidence, and yet his profile says that he is cocky. To me, a person who is cocky, is always confident.

Posted May 30, 2019 - 11:18 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • 24 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

I did indeed.

A cocky person still isn't naturally confident. Case in point how many stories are there of someone saying that they can do something when they know they can't and later on admitted as such. I could be cocky as all saying that I can score a goal on Tuukka Rask for example however I have absolutely no confidence that I could actually score that goal. How many times do you hear a fan say that they could have made a better play than a player of a given sport? Like I could have hit that shot, made that pass, save, whatever. I feel fairly sure in saying that most of those fans can't back up what they are saying and know it. Cocky isn't the same thing as confidence.

On the inverse when you see someone that is confident in something are they being cocky too?

Posted June 06, 2019 - 05:25 PM

bremitt

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

That is a fair point, and by your definition that makes sense.

To me, i always thought that Confidence was believing in yourself and your abilities, Cocky is making sure everyone knows how much you believe in yourself. A Confident player would have the puck behind his net and believe he could go coast to coast, but he sees a teammate open and passes the puck. A Cocky player would believe he could go coast to coast and attempt such a thing, much to the ire of his linemates.

I've heard the saying, there is a fine line between confidence and cockiness. I guess another way to say it, that just came to me, would be to say that confidence is believing you can do it, cockiness is just being obnoxiously confident.

to summarize, i never took cockiness as someone who is overcompensating for his lack of confidence, but is someone who is full of themselves and always thinks they are hot poop...

Posted June 06, 2019 - 06:45 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • 24 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Someone who is cocky thinks too highly of themselves without justification. Confidence is someone who thinks highly of what they are capable of because of what they have done. The line being referred to by the saying you heard is if someone actually has the skill to back up what they are saying because a cocky person is trying to pass themselves off as confident.

Posted June 28, 2019 - 04:42 AM

Fredd Dredd

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: September 2018
Rep - Floater
  • LocationSweden

I did indeed.

A cocky person still isn't naturally confident. Case in point how many stories are there of someone saying that they can do something when they know they can't and later on admitted as such. I could be cocky as all saying that I can score a goal on Tuukka Rask for example however I have absolutely no confidence that I could actually score that goal. How many times do you hear a fan say that they could have made a better play than a player of a given sport? Like I could have hit that shot, made that pass, save, whatever. I feel fairly sure in saying that most of those fans can't back up what they are saying and know it. Cocky isn't the same thing as confidence.

On the inverse when you see someone that is confident in something are they being cocky too?

To be fair, of course there are missed shots in the NHL i could have scored on, if i had just managed to get into that shot situation in the first place.
Its about how many mistakes a player makes, where the same i would make numerous compared to any NHL player, not the least far before the situation to shoot happens. But in that blink of an eye i can at some rate net it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users