Photo

Players matching tactic vs. Tactic familiarity

• Please log in to reply

Poll: More important - tactic familiarity or players matching tactic (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose 1

1. Keep your Off tactic familiar (6 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. Change your Off tactic to match players (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Posted May 23, 2019 - 11:39 AM

Paul T

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Question for the community.  I've wondered this for a while.

Let's say you take over a team on the last day of the season and are in a must win game (for whatever reason).  You notice that all your players are a perfect fit for a Dump and Chase offense - however - the team has been set to Crash the Net with a full green familiarity bar.  Changing to Dump and Chase would go full red.

Do you:

A ) Keep your Off tactic set to Crash the Net (Pro: your team is familiar, Con: your players don't fit).

B ) Change your Off tactic to Dump and Chase (Pro: your players fit perfectly, Con: your team is unfamiliar).

Which would have the bigger positive/negative impact?  Obviously B is better long term, but for 1 game only.  Not sure if there is a correct answer here, just interested in what other managers would do and why.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted May 23, 2019 - 12:36 PM

Peekaboo

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Reliable

I am playing same off tactic trough the whole season.

Switched between 2 def tactics, but lately just sticking to one.

Posted May 23, 2019 - 01:00 PM

AlexanderRasputin

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: May 2018
Rep - Reliable

Paul, I can tell you that before the reset, I switched tactics every game to hard counter the opposition tactic. The results were decent - I moved up from IHL to GHL promoting every 1st/2nd season, and was in 2nd place before the reset, with a great record.

My lineup at the time was very good - perhaps top 3 in the league, so I would assume that addressed some of the shortcomings with players not fitting tactics. 

With that said - this season, I built my team around a tactic and have not switched from it since, and I have similar success. So...looks like my answer to your question is, at best, uncertain ;).

Posted May 24, 2019 - 01:04 PM

ColoKrabatt

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Reliable
I'd go with familiar tactics, but I'm pretty sure the answer lays somewhere in between. Cuz even though they're unfamiliar with new tactic, if they fits naturaly to system their performance should/could grow on higher level... So both ways could work, but both could smack You down.

That said, I agree with Alex, it's uncertain. :) 

ATTACK |GHL| KINGSTON KINGSMEN

Posted May 25, 2019 - 06:25 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • 25 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

It is indeed uncertain. That said for just one game I would scout the other team too and see what they have been using and use that to also factor into the decision. If they happen to be using current tactics that are better against one over the other that would also carry some weight into it.

Posted May 28, 2019 - 09:08 PM

Wick Schozen

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Outstanding

The way I look at it with a simulation game is that it's all about odds (albeit without knowing how it is weighted). I feel that the tactics you choose improve the baseline that your players are able to best utilize there attributes. So even if your team may be better at a different tactic, if you switch to it your team will not be familiar with it and not receive any bonus to their play for it. 

I don't know for certain but I don't think the advantage of having a tactical advantage over your opponents system although without any familiarity would have the same benefit of getting a bonus for familiarity yet not in the capacity that your team would excel in. So for the question of just one day left I would leave it every time. 

Now if the other team had an absolute advantage against your team tactically then that would be a whole other question. Because maybe switching to what counteracts your opponents tactics could offset the advantage they have to where it is now just whos player perform better on the day. 

Still though, in a simulation game of weighted odds in which randomness has a large factor I don't think we can get a difinitive answer without knowing how it is weighted (which would ruin the fun).

Wick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users