• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: March 2019
Rep - Floater
  • LocationCanada

Good day!

I am a fairly new manager here, and I need some information about focus assignments. I couldn't find any resource on that anywhere, but feel free to redirect me to a thread I may have missed.

My team has played a pre-season game today, and it appears that although I have made sure that each player in my lineup has its role matching the focus assignment of its lane, the assistant report for my game still mentions that some of my lines had "major problems with their focus assignment".

For instance, my third offensive line, with focus assignment "two way", composed of three players whose roles are set to "two way" had these major problems.

Can anyone help me understand what is going on? Are those "major problems" a big deal for the performance of my team? What can I do to fix these problems?

Also, if you happen to know, I'd be interested in knowing whether its considered helpful to even run an energy line? I've always had my two first lines be scoring lines, my third line a two-way line, and my fourth line a checking line, but I am unsure whether that's the way forward.

As I said, I am pretty new here, so throw all the information you can at me! I want to learn as much as possible :D

Cheers!

- Lemon 

Posted March 09, 2019 - 05:45 PM

Thunderhawks

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: August 2018
Rep - Helpful

Hey,

I believe they are currently updating the help/guides to 2.0. 

However, If this was your first game I wouldn't blow things up just yet. I find and it might be my mind playing tricks on me, that it takes a few games for players to jell.

I also find that the scouts will give you different feedback as you play teams with different systems. From that, you use that info like a data set to fine tune your lines from there.

Sometimes changing players roles to fit their skill set better.. even doing that it may take a few games for your player to adjust to the new role.. 

as for running checking lines and energy lines... I have played 10+ seasons and this is the first time I am "testing" energy out, but that is do to the new player base with the more varied skill cellings. I believe that it was never a bad strategy but there were better so it was not a common thing to see.. but my data set is far too small to say if it's viable in 2.0 yet vs other options.. haven't looked at checking yet. 

Posted March 10, 2019 - 04:39 AM

Glawing

GamePlanHockey Support Team

• Moderators
  • 259 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: November 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Good day!

I am a fairly new manager here, and I need some information about focus assignments. I couldn't find any resource on that anywhere, but feel free to redirect me to a thread I may have missed.

My team has played a pre-season game today, and it appears that although I have made sure that each player in my lineup has its role matching the focus assignment of its lane, the assistant report for my game still mentions that some of my lines had "major problems with their focus assignment".

For instance, my third offensive line, with focus assignment "two way", composed of three players whose roles are set to "two way" had these major problems.

Can anyone help me understand what is going on? Are those "major problems" a big deal for the performance of my team? What can I do to fix these problems?

Also, if you happen to know, I'd be interested in knowing whether its considered helpful to even run an energy line? I've always had my two first lines be scoring lines, my third line a two-way line, and my fourth line a checking line, but I am unsure whether that's the way forward.

As I said, I am pretty new here, so throw all the information you can at me! I want to learn as much as possible :D

Cheers!

- Lemon 

Hi!

Welcome to Game Plan Hockey!

About the assistant manager report. Look at it as a help to compare with your own conclusion about the game. There are so many parameters to compare in such a short report. And of course he can't give you all information. There are some hints and tips and trix! :) 

Posted March 10, 2019 - 03:59 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

There is really no right answer to this since every team is set up differently in terms of tactics, focus, lines, etc.  Trial and error is best to find out what works for you.  My advice is to set up your team the way YOU want it, then figure out what works from there.  The most fun I've had playing this game was during the first few seasons when I had no idea what was going on and just kept testing different things to see what worked.  Don't be afraid to lose a few games here and there.  The journey should be more fun than the destination.

Personal opinion - I've never been able to get a checking line to work, but a few other managers have and have promoted with one.  I love an energy line, but don't use it all the time.  Read through the old help files to see which type of players and roles work for each type of line.  But again, it's all trial and error.  Keep in mind Results can often vary game to game and depending upon your opponent's skill level.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted March 11, 2019 - 10:06 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • 24 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

I've had checking lines in the past that worked. The difficulty is in finding the players that will work on a checking line. Finding forwards with high defense and spirit isn't as easy as offensive forwards. The ones you do find are typically the better offensive players at the same time and are thus better utilized in an offensive role.

Energy lines work as well and the 3 attributes you want there are spirit, physical and skating with the first two being more important than the last.

As Paul T said though set the team up the way you want them to play first. After that mess with the lines to find the best balance with the players that you have. Remember when doing that to test it for a few games as one game won't necessarily be a true indicator of if something will work or not.

That said don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted March 17, 2019 - 10:27 AM

jdonutken

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: August 2018
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationLouisiana ;)

I'm trying a checking line for the first time-didn't look at their ratings so much as their profiles-3 natural grinders, and they're doing ok....

Posted March 23, 2019 - 06:18 PM

Deadwing

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: February 2018
Rep - Outstanding

It's a lot of trial and error. There are no definitive help files, just general guides and they're under construction as a result of 2.0 launch. Every manager wants their team to play their own way and be successful, and it's absolutely possible, but may take a few seasons to build up to what you want it to be.

Think of your grand vision. How do you want your team to play? Then start building toward that. It can be very frustrating and downright depressing, but when things begin to click, it's better than mediocre sex.

Don't be shy to join the chat. A lot of good advice and pointers to gain there. Just have enough confidence to say hello and it goes from there. Highest population on chat is usually around the game simulations.

Welcome aboard and stick around, I promise you it'll be worth it if hockey team managing is your thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users