Peekaboo

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Helpful

Hey, congrats all who made it to playoffs. It was great season, competetive as it can be. Good luck to everyone :)

Posted May 29, 2019 - 02:02 PM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationUnited States

WEST

#1 Prairie Stars vs. #8 Tomahawks (season series tied 2-2)

#2 Hawks vs. #7 Rage (season series tied 2-2)

#3 Ricochet vs. #6 Outlaws (Ricochet won season series 3-1)

#4 Pirates vs. #5 Wolverines (season series tied 2-2)

Clearly this shows the West is the more interesting and exciting conference!  

Posted May 30, 2019 - 08:53 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Looks like Matt is out.  Tough loss for Cage.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted May 30, 2019 - 09:09 AM

Peekaboo

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Looks like Matt is out.  Tough loss for Cage.

Yeah, what happened there?

Posted May 30, 2019 - 10:30 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Yeah, what happened there?

Not sure... very surprised to see him go.  Think he had a really good team, just got a bit unlucky.

This has me thinking though.  Do we all (especially the higher league managers) make a gentleman's agreement not to trade with computer controlled teams - or is it a free for all?  Would prefer the former, but can live with the latter.

Posted May 30, 2019 - 01:01 PM

Peekaboo

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Not sure... very surprised to see him go.  Think he had a really good team, just got a bit unlucky.

This has me thinking though.  Do we all (especially the higher league managers) make a gentleman's agreement not to trade with computer controlled teams - or is it a free for all?  Would prefer the former, but can live with the latter.

I sent some offers, but will cancel them. Didn't know we have that, but I am all for that actually.

Posted May 30, 2019 - 01:49 PM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • 3 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationUnited States

Do we all (especially the higher league managers) make a gentleman's agreement not to trade with computer controlled teams - or is it a free for all?  

This came up in Biscuit GHL from time to time.  Most of the time, we didn't have any CPUs, but when we would, most of us long timers agreed not to trade.  But all it takes is one manager, new or not, to start in and it spoils the whole agreement and system.  I do think Anders has made CPU trading fairer and I generally don't have a big angst about it now, but I do still see trades go through that seem a bit exploitative.  I still think they over value draft picks and total number of players coming versus going.  I'd still like to see all CPU trading locked down, but realize that isn't fun or practical for some leagues.  Also, it wouldn't prevent some managers from jumping in, messing with rosters and then resigning two days later which I still see going on.  

Posted May 30, 2019 - 02:12 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I sent some offers, but will cancel them. Didn't know we have that, but I am all for that actually.

I totally didn't mean it that way (so don't cancel those trades)!  My comment was not in response to anything I've seen recently.  As Steve said, we used to chat about this topic a lot in Biscuit and I only brought it up again because it seems some managers with really good players have left recently.  The specific player I was thinking of was Piercy (Dman - Brass Castle).  He's actually untouchable, so that's good, but I was thinking how easy it would be to acquire him if he wasn't. 

A gentleman's agreement is a pipe dream since not all managers are around the forums enough to make that happen.  I guess either computer trading needs to be locked down by the admins or we just allow and accept it. 

Posted May 30, 2019 - 03:25 PM

Peekaboo

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful
I am all for fair play and cooperation to make this whole game experience better and I find this to be good idea.

I will go with the majority tho :)

Posted May 30, 2019 - 07:11 PM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Outstanding

Yeah, I would prefer if players didn't raid CPU teams.

CPU trades should be disabled entirely.

Posted May 31, 2019 - 04:11 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

Interesting first round for me... as 2nd overall team with best PP and PK in the league, I was not really expecting 0-5 loss after 4 PP goals in just one 5 minutes major. I know how Las Vegas felt against SJS :)

Posted May 31, 2019 - 08:56 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Interesting first round for me... as 2nd overall team with best PP and PK in the league, I was not really expecting 0-5 loss after 4 PP goals in just one 5 minutes major. I know how Las Vegas felt against SJS :)

And I will likely find out how the Pens feel.  Early season favorites, find out you aren't that good as the season rolls along, swept.

Posted May 31, 2019 - 12:07 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

This probably isn't the best thread to post in as it is the exact opposite of trash talk, but it seems to be the only Cage discussion, so what the heck...

First, congrats to the Bangers, Plastic Attack, Patriots and Owls for promotion from SHL to GHL.  I am personally looking forward to battling with the Bangers and Plastic Attack again (BHL/SHL Biscuit days).

Second, good luck to the Flame, Savage Storm, Dragons, Defenders and Giant Strikers in your playoff quest for promotion.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pulling for the Flame as I enjoy competing with active managers.

Third, good luck to the Elite, Blue Thunder, Battlin Bears and Supersonics, who are all currently battling to stay in GHL.  That's gotta be nerve-wracking.  It's amazing the way the Elite were able to turn their season around.

Last, and definitely not least.  Huge kudos to both Fango and Antti (Claws & Kamikazee).  Currently in relegation, but sticking with it.  Too often the only managers that get recognized are the top of the standings, but there's a huge something to be said when things aren't going your way and you stay with the team and keep battling.  I see too many managers who just bail if their team starts losing.  Think more people need to really enjoy the game for what it is.  It's a manager game with a huge element of luck/randomness/chance, whatever you want to call it.  It is just as fun, if not more, when you actually have to put more effort into it or get creative.  The only unsuccessful managers are the ones who leave.  Their loss.  Regardless if your team is doing well or not, you still get to enjoy what the game has to offer.  It's cool to win, but I personally have much more respect for the managers who still have fun even when they don't.

Posted May 31, 2019 - 12:44 PM

AlexanderRasputin

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: May 2018
Rep - Reliable

Hear, hear - very good statement, Paul. I must say that I agree with everything - and a lot of respect to managers who commit long-term and stay with their squads through relegation. This will make eventual wins all the better. 

Looking forward to GHL newcomers as well. Entering a new league and establishing a new team and relationships/rivalries with new managers is one of the parts of GPHM I enjoy most. 

Posted May 31, 2019 - 02:46 PM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • 3 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationUnited States

I'm really interested to see how the first time promotions work in version 2.0 and Free Agency.  I think the gap is still going to be very steep, but time will tell.  

Hopefully we get a few more involved managers in the West.  I often find myself talking to myself, haha.  

Posted May 31, 2019 - 04:33 PM

MattBerserkers

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I'm not done with the game, I've just been busy with life. Honestly I've been checking about once a week so Im not sure why I was booted. Myabe its because I havent checked my fast team in so long that I got booted from both worlds.

I should add, I'm a little bit peeved I didn't have time to make deadline deals :P and also I'm glad my team wasn't immediately raided.

Posted May 31, 2019 - 05:04 PM

Peekaboo

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful
wb! :)

Posted June 01, 2019 - 06:15 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I'm not done with the game, I've just been busy with life. Honestly I've been checking about once a week so Im not sure why I was booted. Myabe its because I havent checked my fast team in so long that I got booted from both worlds.

I should add, I'm a little bit peeved I didn't have time to make deadline deals :P and also I'm glad my team wasn't immediately raided.

Good!!  As with all good managers, I was bummed to see you go.  Glad you're back!

Posted June 01, 2019 - 06:34 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • 24 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

I echo the welcome back.

In regards to demotion, I said this somewhere that I actually currently see demotion as an advantage, especially if you don't have a strong team, because of all of the very meh 3-4 year contracts that a lot of GHL teams have. In fact, for a few days, I was seriously debating trying to deliberately do exactly that when I got this team. Had my second line not carried my team through the first month of the season at the top of the standings and I would have been fighting for a playoff spot like I thought I would have been I would have gone ahead and been a seller.

Ideally, you would quickly turn your team around so that you are back in the GHL by season 3 or 4. As a result, you could potentially gather a number of young players to build a team around. On top of it a number of players might be hitting FA too that would make good role players to fill in any gaps. All this while you likely pick low to mid in the draft for a year or two in the GHL while you build up your younger players.

Edit: The best time to take advantage of this though was this season. While it practically can still be done in the future you become more limited in what you can do in total as there are less bad contracts you can potentially use to your advantage when demoting.

Posted June 01, 2019 - 09:47 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • 24 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Congratulations to Erzac on a good series. Every game was very close and decided on one goal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users