Walter A. Donaldson

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: April 2017
Rep - Helpful

I've got a 14-3-1-3 record, and a team who has more regulation wins but adding up the wins together we have identical record, I've got 17-3-1, they've got 17-3-1. How the heck does this happen, with identical records, I have 49 points and they have 51???????????

Please explain this.

Posted December 30, 2018 - 01:19 AM

Paul T

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Because there is a difference between winning in regulation and winning in OT/shootout.

3 points for winning in regulation

2 points for OT/SO win

1 point for OT/SO loss

0 points for regulation loss

I'm guessing the other team's record is 16-1-1-3 = 51 points.

While yours is 14-3-1-3 = 49 points.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted December 30, 2018 - 01:24 AM

Glawing

GamePlanHockey Support Team

• Moderators
  • 262 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: November 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Hi Walter!

Thank you for mention this. We will add this information in the help section we are working on right now.

It is like Paul T say. It is counted different depending if you win in regular time or OT.

Posted December 30, 2018 - 09:06 AM

Walter A. Donaldson

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

That is kind of weird isn't it, why should the rules be different then the NHL. In the NHL it's 2 points whether it is regulation or Overtime.

Posted December 30, 2018 - 11:12 AM

Smashvilles4Realz

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Reliable

The whole game has a more euro theme to it, like the relegation/promotion system. I assume it stems from the games creators not being North American.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted December 30, 2018 - 10:46 PM

MattBerserkers

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Honestly, I've always thought that the NHL has a weird situation by handing out an extra point if the game goes into overtime. I think it makes more sense to keep the number of points handed out consistent each game.

The reasons I've heard that the NHL does the way they do is:

1) Keeps the standings closer and looking more competitive

2) kept old records from becoming irrelevant

Posted December 31, 2018 - 12:56 AM

Walter A. Donaldson

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Honestly, I've always thought that the NHL has a weird situation by handing out an extra point if the game goes into overtime. I think it makes more sense to keep the number of points handed out consistent each game.

The reasons I've heard that the NHL does the way they do is:

1) Keeps the standings closer and looking more competitive

2) kept old records from becoming irrelevant

Well keeping Records from the great teams of the past is important. I don't know of any team coming close to 7 straight 1st place Finishes, or 5 straight Stanley cups in the near future.

I honestly wish we just kept ties, I mean once you've battled out 60 minutes and there is no score each team splits the win.

Posted December 31, 2018 - 09:11 AM

Paul T

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I'm torn on the Tie vs. OT/shootout loss point debate.  I definitely miss the old (simple) standings of W-L-T.  I think it is a more accurate and fair reflection of team standings.  Part of me wants the NHL to revert back.

On the other hand, the fan experience should be taken into account.  In the 80s, almost 1 in 5 NHL games ended in a tie.  20%.  I've witnessed a few ties (live) and the feeling is unfulfilling.  When you spend good money to go see a game, having it end in a tie sucks.  Every competition should have a winner and loser.  Unfortunately for hockey, ties would be more common and are harder to prevent/break, given that scoring is rare as compared to other sports such as football, baseball & basketball.  You don't want regular season games going 2+ OTs, thus the need for shootouts.

The last thing I'd want is for regulation wins to count as 3 points as it would throw everything out of whack (in my own mind, at least).  It's a complex issue and the solution will never please everyone. 

Posted December 31, 2018 - 01:11 PM

Walter A. Donaldson

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

I'm torn on the Tie vs. OT/shootout loss point debate.  I definitely miss the old (simple) standings of W-L-T.  I think it is a more accurate and fair reflection of team standings.  Part of me wants the NHL to revert back.

On the other hand, the fan experience should be taken into account.  In the 80s, almost 1 in 5 NHL games ended in a tie.  20%.  I've witnessed a few ties (live) and the feeling is unfulfilling.  When you spend good money to go see a game, having it end in a tie sucks.  Every competition should have a winner and loser.  Unfortunately for hockey, ties would be more common and are harder to prevent/break, given that scoring is rare as compared to other sports such as football, baseball & basketball.  You don't want regular season games going 2+ OTs, thus the need for shootouts.

The last thing I'd want is for regulation wins to count as 3 points as it would throw everything out of whack (in my own mind, at least).  It's a complex issue and the solution will never please everyone. 

I'm an aficionado of old games, so I've always found a tie where two goalies sparkled and kept it 0-0 or 1-1, exciting. Like there are some games like in the 80's which was one of the less great eras in hockey. But in the 50's and the 60's, even the 70's, a tie could really be exciting. I'm just saying there are really no fans in this game that watch games, so why do we revert to ties instead of the weird point settings.

Posted December 31, 2018 - 02:06 PM

Paul T

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I'm an aficionado of old games, so I've always found a tie where two goalies sparkled and kept it 0-0 or 1-1, exciting. Like there are some games like in the 80's which was one of the less great eras in hockey. But in the 50's and the 60's, even the 70's, a tie could really be exciting. I'm just saying there are really no fans in this game that watch games, so why do we revert to ties instead of the weird point settings.

I agree.  Not that I was around for the 60s & 70s, but I've watched plenty of replays and those close, low scoring games were exciting.  Especially considering back then goalies had to make more flashy, reaction type saves.  I think for most people, low scoring games stopped being exciting when goalie equipment got bigger and nowadays, saves are more positional than reactionary.  It's really an unfair criticism and underrated skill, however, it is less exciting for fans, so it is what it is.  I somewhat blame the NJ Devils as their Trap games in the mid-90s were downright boring to watch.  It takes a special person (or Devils fan) to appreciate that type of hockey.

As for the point system... I have always viewed this game as more of an Olympic/European style hockey game.  There's not much in this game that is similar to the NHL.  Point system, promotion/relegation, etc.  The current World games use the same 3-2-1-0 point system. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users