• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: May 2018
Rep - Floater
  • LocationLatvia

Hello, everyone, can someone explain me these terms what i saw in tactics

Gritty players

Working hard players - i suppose its determined?

Mobile players

smart players - how can i know is he smart player?

And also about Offensive and deffensive tactics, if i play veryoffensive, thats means def tactics isnt working or what? Maybe you guys have some suggestions how to make my game more balanced ?

And thanks a lot if some one will response to this =)

Posted October 09, 2018 - 09:39 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Gritty players - I am fairly certain that gritty refers to Spirit.

Working hard players - i suppose its determined?  - I always assumed that working hard also referred to Spirit, but I am not 100% sure of that.  And your thought on it being related to Determined may also be accurate.  That's something I had never thought about before so can neither confirm nor deny it.

Mobile players - Skating ability.

smart players - how can i know is he smart player? - I'm actually not sure on this one.

The following is all personal opinion based on having played the game for the last year and a half.  There is really no right or wrong way to think about offensive and defensive tactics other than ensuring that your players fit those tactics.  I would assume that it would be beneficial to pick offensive and defensive tactics that require the same attributes, but it really is just a matter of preference (which is also part of the fun of a manager game, specifically this one, in that you can set your team up however you want it).  I don't think certain tactics work better than others on their own.  I have seen many teams have success with different tactics, but again, I think the effectiveness of the tactic really relies on getting players who fit your style.

Playing "very offensive" is based on your team focus.  I would assume you have your team focus tactic (when tied) set to Very Offensive.  If you want a more balanced game, try setting it to Normal.  Try different settings and see what works best.

Two things I think are extremely important.  Again, these are personal opinion and maybe not shared among all managers, but just to give a certain perspective.

1. Set your team up the way you want it set up.  It's much more fun that way.  There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to which tactic works best.  To use radical examples, maybe based more on history than current day, if you are a fan of the Big Bad Bruins, you might want to set up your team with big, gritty, physical players and maybe play a Crash the Net style.  If you like the Flyers, maybe play a similar style and a bit dirty.  Devils fan, try the Trap defense.  Kings fan, use Possession.  Etc...  Then once you pick your tactics, go out and get players who fit your scheme.

2. Test things out until your team functions as expected.  Don't be afraid to lose a few games.  The most fun I've had playing this game was in the first season when I had no idea about anything and just tested different tactics, team focus, line focuses, line combinations, the list goes on.  I was a bit anxious as well and wanted to figure it all out relatively quickly, but thinking back, the journey was much more fun than the destination.  Even after 8 seasons, I still like trying out changes here and there to see how they work.

Hope that offers some helpful insight.

*SEASON 16 TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted October 09, 2018 - 12:36 PM

jdonutken

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: August 2018
Rep - Floater
  • LocationLouisbourg

I have been at this a year now, nearing the end of my 2nd season.  My lowest-rated center is my leading scorer.  My lowest-rated forward is in my top 5 in scoring.  My team finished in the middle of the pack 1st season, but are a solid 2nd this time.  Have a lot of higher-rated players for LIHL, but still...i just made sure each player was in his best role, then assigned lines accordingly.  I have 3 2-way lines and scoring line.  2-way lines are all 2-way role players, and my one scoring line is 2 snipers and a playmaker, and the 4 lines are playing 25% each... Can't say roles into lines is the final answer, but it's a starting point...  as Paul T said, aim for what you like-In free agency, I signed a ton of younger 2-way centers and forwards, too, and watching them advance almost daily...  2-way kinda fits my psyche, lol  offense AND defense, in more or less equal measure...

Posted November 01, 2018 - 11:16 AM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationUnited States

Hello, everyone, can someone explain me these terms what i saw in tactics

Gritty players

Working hard players - i suppose its determined?

Mobile players

smart players - how can i know is he smart player?

And also about Offensive and deffensive tactics, if i play veryoffensive, thats means def tactics isnt working or what? Maybe you guys have some suggestions how to make my game more balanced ?

And thanks a lot if some one will response to this =)

For me, I've found that "working hard" players comes a bit from their profile.  For instance, "Lazy" players are probably not considered "hard working".  

Mobile players comes down to skating and I think "smarts" is some unknown combination of Ambition and OVR.  

As for tactics, I agree with Paul mostly, especially in that a lot of trial and error is needed.  I've played this game for more than 3 years now and either I am very dumb or the game is quite complicated to master.  I like to believe the latter!  haha.  However, there are managers that are routinely top tier in my leagues then others that are only until the current batch of contracts expires.  Plus, I've seen teams do (assume) almost nothing different and have completely different results (rise up and bomb!) two seasons in a row.  

I always think I am just one change away from the championship, which keeps my spirit alive, but in reality, I am often only one change away from being relegated!!!!

Posted November 12, 2018 - 01:18 PM

canucks357

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: October 2015
Rep - Helpful

Another year, another paltry special teams performance:

Powerplay 17.5% (15th)
Penalty Kill 50.7% (16th)

How is a 50% penalty kill OVER A WHOLE SEASON even realistic? And it isn't like I'm playing junk players on PK!

Posted November 30, 2018 - 10:16 AM

canucks357

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: October 2015
Rep - Helpful

... and now my penalty kill is 3rd and powerplay 4th. Not sure what is going on.

Another year, another paltry special teams performance:

Powerplay 17.5% (15th)
Penalty Kill 50.7% (16th)

How is a 50% penalty kill OVER A WHOLE SEASON even realistic? And it isn't like I'm playing junk players on PK!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users